Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anyone who's been alive for the past 6 years and says racism doesn't exist anymore is being dishonest or is uninformed to an incredible degree. I cannot imagine anyone who's engaged in anyway believing that in earnest without also being willfully ignorant.

I think a lot of it has to depend on age too. For instance, my dad (mid-50's) always trots out the old, "Things are a million times better! We were forcing separate drinking fountains and spraying black people with fire hoses back in the late 50's and 60's."

He doesn't see the more subtle and underlying racism of today as a problem because nobody is screaming the n-word before spraying black people with a fire hose. That's how he equates "racism" in his mind. Anything short of that is probably up for debate. For instance, if some pundit on Fox News calls a black guy a "thug" I immediately know what he's getting at. My dad just hears the word "thug" and probably wouldn't say that's racist because "thug" isn't the n-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Things are definitely miles better and they still have miles to go before they're ideal.

If anything I would say we are still reacting to what happened 50 years ago. It was a Big Deal on the scale of the Industrial revolution (though more constrained to one country).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Xarthor posted:

I think a lot of it has to depend on age too. For instance, my dad (mid-50's) always trots out the old, "Things are a million times better! We were forcing separate drinking fountains and spraying black people with fire hoses back in the late 50's and 60's."

He doesn't see the more subtle and underlying racism of today as a problem because nobody is screaming the n-word before spraying black people with a fire hose. That's how he equates "racism" in his mind. Anything short of that is probably up for debate. For instance, if some pundit on Fox News calls a black guy a "thug" I immediately know what he's getting at. My dad just hears the word "thug" and probably wouldn't say that's racist because "thug" isn't the n-word.

I find it hard to fault those people if they are genuinely glad about the progress and not just being obstinate dicks. I hope there's a day in my future where progress has passed me up so hard that I look like a rude-rear end fossil to kids, but I hope they also understand when I reach some point where I trust them to take care of the bleeding edge.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FMguru posted:

Young people are less racist, but only because young people are less white (America's shifting demographics at work). Young white people are just as terrible as white people always are.

gently caress off. A lot of young white people do recognize the racism and aren't happy about it. We also do our best to not perpetuate it. Yeah, there are young white people who are assholes, but we also aren't one monolithic whole.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dirk the Average posted:

gently caress off. A lot of young white people do recognize the racism and aren't happy about it. We also do our best to not perpetuate it. Yeah, there are young white people who are assholes, but we also aren't one monolithic whole.

Maybe you young white people should be policing yourselves a little better

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

N. Senada posted:

Haha, well played friend goon :golfclap:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
My dad is literally trying to argue that the police should go back to using firehoses. :magical: To be fair, his argument specifically is that it's actually more humane than rubber bullets, but I have no idea how true that is. In any case, he thinks that the idea that firehoses should be avoided for their historical connotations is ridiculous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Or you know allow people to protest.

Or fix the issues which they are complaining about.

Or use fire hoses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LaughMyselfTo posted:

My dad is literally trying to argue that the police should go back to using firehoses. :magical: To be fair, his argument specifically is that it's actually more humane than rubber bullets, but I have no idea how true that is. In any case, he thinks that the idea that firehoses should be avoided for their historical connotations is ridiculous.

Ask him his views on barking K-9 units on leashes being used in conjunction.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
To be fair, I would rather be blasted with a fire hose than shot with a rubber bullet, as the latter has been shown time and time again to be potentially lethal. I'll take "historically insensitive" over "can splatter your brains out" any day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have you considered the effect on those protestors who are water-intolerant?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CommieGIR posted:

Ask him his views on barking K-9 units on leashes being used in conjunction.

Outside of the direct symbolism to the civil rights movement he is not incorrect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Outside of the direct symbolism to the civil rights movement he is not incorrect.

I know, I was just throwing imagery around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CommieGIR posted:

Old guy peddling old views to old people. The 700 Club is literally full of retirement home individuals.

Yeah. And Pat Robertson was the only guy I've heard so far this year doing the "It's snowing everywhere! There is no global warming!" bullshit. Never even mind that record snowfall in November is a symptom of climate change but, yeah, he's Pat Robertson. The guy who blamed 9/11 on gays and abortion doctors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. And Pat Robertson was the only guy I've heard so far this year doing the "It's snowing everywhere! There is no global warming!" bullshit. Never even mind that record snowfall in November is a symptom of climate change but, yeah, he's Pat Robertson. The guy who blamed 9/11 on gays and abortion doctors.

Its along the same lines as our new chair of the Environment committee in the Senate: Obviously, God's still up there, so he wouldn't allow this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Racists being emboldened doesn't happen in a vacuum, and I'm sure I would feel a lot better if racists were being chased back into the shadows the way homophobes are today, rather than whatever benefit comes from them being more visible as they spike the ball in our faces.

I guess it's a silver lining but it's really not much of one.

But, again, how do they justify government overreach, cries of fascism, tyranny and brown shirts and the loss of individual freedom with cops gunning down unarmed citizens in the the streets without consequence? "Yay, cops! boooo, due process, nuke Iran!" All that poo poo. Then they're like "but...but...the constitution!!" They're terrified of living in a police state at the same time they're celebrating it.

Almost as if they're hypocrites. There is no silver lining here. The fascists are winning and their victims are cheering it on. They've got everything completely backwards.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Novel thought to pass on to your dad: how about cops just stop killing unarmed people, then we wouldn't need to use rubber bullets, firehoses ect.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

beatlegs posted:

But I'm thinking it might sway a lot of right-leaning independents/centrists who still have souls and bought into the "racism is dead" canard. Maybe this will open thier eyes to what's going on around them.

They'll just blame Obama, like they always do, since he was supposed to unite us and end racism, completely forgetting that they themselves have no desire to be united under anything besides the bible (as the read it), guns (for white people) and money (for the job creators).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

But, again, how do they justify government overreach, cries of fascism, tyranny and brown shirts and the loss of individual freedom with cops gunning down unarmed citizens in the the streets without consequence? "Yay, cops! boooo, due process, nuke Iran!" All that poo poo. Then they're like "but...but...the constitution!!" They're terrified of living in a police state at the same time they're celebrating it.

Almost as if they're hypocrites. There is no silver lining here. The fascists are winning and their victims are cheering it on. They've got everything completely backwards.
But conservatives are not going to be the victims. It's mostly going to be people who aren't them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Forgall posted:

But conservatives are not going to be the victims. It's mostly going to be people who aren't them.

Right. Which is why I brought up the Bundy ranch. Those fuckers were legitimately threatening to kill people (law enforcement and soldiers), were armed to the teeth, hiding behind kids - all over a perceived injustice - and the government went "meh...why bother?"

A bunch of black people chuck some beer bottles and smash a window or two and it's "call in the National Guard and the SWAT teams!". What the gently caress DID ever happen to Bundy and those dumb fucks anyway? Anything?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

BiggerBoat posted:

What the gently caress DID ever happen to Bundy and those dumb fucks anyway? Anything?

Here's an update

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/nevada-rancher-bundy-waits-fbi-probes

But to sum it up,

quote:

“One thing that’s happened is, since the standoff, we’ve really enjoyed some liberty and freedoms out here,” Bundy said in an Oct. 30 interview in the front yard of the house his father built in the early 1950s.

Edit: reading the rest of it the amount of privileged bullshit coming out of him and the local law enforcement is unbearable.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

N. Senada posted:

I try. I call out people around me when they spout racist bullshit. It's not much, but I've engaged several people in honest discussions and helped change the opinions of people around me.

There's a hell of a lot of entrenched racism, some of which I am guilty of. I'm doing my best to recognize and address it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

As an older goon, I can definitely say that kids are less racist, at least in some senses.

As a high schooler back in the 70's in Virginia and Texas, there were no interracial couples. None. Zip. And this was in a fairly moderate, large suburban school. Just wasn't done.

Teaching at a very small school now, there have been several "mixed" couples. None of the kids think anything of it. I'm not saying there's no racism at all, but things have definitely changed.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dirk the Average posted:

I try. I call out people around me when they spout racist bullshit. It's not much, but I've engaged several people in honest discussions and helped change the opinions of people around me.

There's a hell of a lot of entrenched racism, some of which I am guilty of. I'm doing my best to recognize and address it.

Whatev honky.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dirk the Average posted:

Whatev honky.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Levin's on now, talking about the "indisputable facts" of the case, which of course is Darren Wilson's version of events verbatim. He's also calling for Americans to step up and "defend the hardworking law enforcement officers trying to protect this community." The protests last night were a planned leftist attack in the heart of America.

Seems to be bog-standard talking points, but we're only 20 minutes in and he's already been shouting, so we're probably in for a great performance tonight if you can stomach it. (I really don't think I can but I don't really have a choice tonight)

v no, I'm just a dumbass :downs:

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 26, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Is this some kinda fuckin' fanfiction?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Huh, the testimony did mention Brown attempting to do a dragonball merge dance with the officer during the altercation in the SUV window but I didn't know it was successful. I thought that had to be consensual?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Venusian Weasel posted:

Levin's on now, talking about the "indisputable facts" of the case, which of course is Darren Brown's version of events verbatim.

"Indisputable facts" without any cross examination. Well that's convenient.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

beatlegs posted:

"Indisputable facts" without any cross examination. Well that's convenient.

Isn't it always? Now let me tell you about the "Indisputable facts" surrounding Benghazi and Obama's birth certificate. Afterwards, we'll discuss Vince Foster' murder.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It's become more clear recently just how racist Levin is. He was lamenting the fact that white people would be less than 50% of the population in the future.

A few months back he was also defending the fact that his own bullshit assumptions about the Ferguson stuff were actually the truth. Which is to say that he assumed the kid was a thug because he was black. Then later he heard some rumors about how he totally tried to grab the cop's gun through the cruiser window after holding up a liquor store, and so therefore it's cool that he totally jumped to the conclusion that Brown was causing trouble because he was black.

He's also been a lot less careful recently when talking about "illegals." He used to put in caveats talking about how he wasn't denigrating all of them, but more recently he's just letting it fly about how "they're carrying diseases we've never seen before that can infect your children" and "they're illiterate in their own language!"

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 26, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

ErIog posted:

It's become more clear recently just how racist Levin is. He was lamenting the fact that white people would be less than 50% of the population in the future.

A few months back he was also defending the fact that his own bullshit assumptions about the Ferguson stuff were actually the truth. Which is to say that he assumed the kid was a thug because he was black. Then later he heard some rumors about how he totally tried to grab the cop's gun through the cruiser window after holding up a liquor store, and so therefore it's cool that he totally jumped to the conclusion that Brown was causing trouble because he was black.

He's also been a lot less careful recently when talking about "illegals." He used to put in caveats talking about how he wasn't denigrating all of them, but more recently he's just letting it fly about how "they're carrying diseases we've never seen before that can infect your children" and "they're illiterate in their own language!"

As a white person, I fully support my ethnicity being bred out of existence so the USA can become browner and browner. :getin:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

BiggerBoat posted:

Right. Which is why I brought up the Bundy ranch. Those fuckers were legitimately threatening to kill people (law enforcement and soldiers), were armed to the teeth, hiding behind kids - all over a perceived injustice - and the government went "meh...why bother?"
To be fair, I think it was less "why bother" and more "holy poo poo we do not want this to escalate any further".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

To be fair, I think it was less "why bother" and more "holy poo poo we do not want this to escalate any further".

Federal Law Enforcement is also completely different ballgame from local or state level.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I get that but, to tie it in to the thread, when you've half the god damned media out there telling everyone that the President is a left wing fascist who wants to take your guns and institute a tyrannical regime, it's not that much of a stretch to see how these two very similar situations are being handled, reported and spun.

One group are heroes who stood up to the machine and the other is a bunch of angry blacks who don't know their place.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
America is racist as poo poo and that saddens me. Electing Obama only brought it all to the forefront.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ninjasaurus posted:

As a white person, I fully support my ethnicity being bred out of existence so the USA can become browner and browner. :getin:

This is, of course, primarily a tactic for sex, not social change.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dirk the Average posted:

Demographically speaking, even young white people are poo poo. For me, personally, in exchange for the insane amount of privilege I get as a straight white dude from an upper-class background, the least I can do is not actively be a shithead while recognizing the problems within my community. I'll do what I can as a parasite and do what I can to make up for my parasitism as long as, you know, it doesn't seriously hurt my parasitism. I'm just trying to keep the host alive here.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

:hfive: You and me both, man. Commence the miscegenation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

It seems like this is popping up more and more among the right wing guys, and with a lot less subtlety too. I can think of Pat Buchanan, Kris Kobach, Charles Murray, and now Mark Levin as four guys aren't even bothering to cloak it in coded language, it's just straight-up "oh god the minorities are gonna outbreed us and take over, it's the end of white America (aka the only real America), everybody panic". I'm honestly a little shocked at just how blatant it's becoming; they're not even bothering with the plausible dependability, and it's like super easy/obvious to point out the "14 words" parallels there.

On the plus side, I get to constantly laugh at people who are scared of my everyday life, and enjoy the fact they would run away screaming if they ever came near my city. I welcome the rest of the US becoming a giant version of San Antonio, then maybe I won't feel so out of place when I go on vacation. (Seriously, I felt more at home in the Navajo Nation with Native Americans than I did in Utah surrounded by white people. It's amazing how growing up in a certain place changes/skews your perception as to what's "normal".)

Ninjasaurus posted:

As a white person, I fully support my ethnicity being bred out of existence so the USA can become browner and browner.:getin:
I wonder if I should get in on the right-wing book racket and write a book like "Surviving the Racial Apocalypse: Learning to live as a white person in a majority-minority city/nation". (The text would be: "Just live your goddamn life and don't worry about it, enjoy Fiesta and the local food." repeated over and over for 200 pages.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 26, 2014