Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Diogines posted:

I started enjoying this game a lot more once I started to ignore collecting crafting materials entirely.

DA1 to Inquisition question:

If you help that dwarf in Orzamar in DA1 build a chantry, it causes major problems in the epilogue in DA1. Does that ever come up in Inquisition?

as a general rule most of the minor decisions you make in The Keep pop up in throwaway dialogue or war table missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Just chatted with Varric after Hawke's death, and now I'm considering going back and playing that fight yet again and letting Stroud die instead. I'm not sure I've ever felt this conflicted about two linked choices in a Bioware game before.
The only way you should feel conflicted at all is if your Warden X is someone you really liked in DA:O. Is he as upset about Hawke if you set you Keep worldstate to have them not be friends?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Polaron posted:

The old Tevinter Imperium was so drenched in blood magic it created Kirkwall, a city literally designed from the stones up to drive its inhabitants insane and rip a hole in the Veil. According to Dorian the new one is only better in public, but behind closed doors..Well..
Sure, they were -- and remain -- an evil empire. But the thing is that they're a functional evil empire, not teetering on the brink of self-annihilation simply because they like mages. They wouldn't be such a threat against the south -- held back only by constant skirmishes with the Qunari -- if their own magic really caused such problems for themselves. I imagine what scares the Chantry about them is not just that they prove that uncaged magic works for them, but also that evil works for them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

And it's just as easy to gather information, I don't know what you're talking about with that. Like, literally, I don't know what you're talking about. Again, not an insult, What information are you talking about gathering? You can tell when someone is going to attack with a skill.

I thought I explained it clearly. Isometric view allows you to see all enemies at once in relation to where they are to your party members, and having their next skill pop up over them allows you to react. At once glance you can see which enemy is about to use Flurry, which enemy is about to use Overpower, etc. because of the floating text pop-ups.

In DA:I, this is the farthest you can zoom out using the tactical camera:

Notice two things: it is fixed to your character, and it's a top-down view rather than isometric, which means you can only see what is immediately around your selected character, as opposed to the battlefield itself. As far as I can tell, it doesn't let you freely survey the battlefield.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The concern for most is that mages who are allowed freedom will turn to blood magic, which is horrifyingly bad for everyone who isn't a mage and even other mages more oft than not. The problem is that people in the circles still turn to blood magic when pressed against the wall. The circumstances change, but the result--blood magic and the damage it does--remain the same.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Sure, they were -- and remain -- an evil empire. But the thing is that they're a functional evil empire, not teetering on the brink of self-annihilation simply because they like mages. They wouldn't be such a threat against the south -- held back only by constant skirmishes with the Qunari -- if their own magic really caused such problems for themselves. I imagine what scares the Chantry about them is not just that they prove that uncaged magic works for them, but also that evil works for them.

The Chantry would totally be just as evil if they could figure out a way to make it work in Ferelden/Orlais.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Haven't seen it brought up yet really, but has anyone else met the Quizquisition guy? I found him once behind the barn where blackwall stays and I failed his quiz(as it was related to the nugs and I don't know poo poo about em) and have not seen him again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

I thought I explained it clearly. Isometric view allows you to see all enemies at once in relation to where they are to your party members, and having their next skill pop up over them allows you to react. At once glance you can see which enemy is about to use Flurry, which enemy is about to use Overpower, etc. because of the floating text pop-ups.

In DA:I, this is the farthest you can zoom out using the tactical camera:

Notice two things: it is fixed to your character, and it's a top-down view rather than isometric, which means you can only see what is immediately around your selected character, as opposed to the battlefield itself. As far as I can tell, it doesn't let you freely survey the battlefield.

It absolutely does. On keyboard you can either hold the shift key down and wiggle your mouse or you can use the wasd keys to move the camera, or you can press down both mouse buttons and wiggle your mouse.

I personally simultaneously use the wsad keys to move the camera and hold the right mouse button down to rotate the camera.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

enraged_camel posted:

As far as I can tell, it doesn't let you freely survey the battlefield.

You can pan it around with WASD. Yes, this is loving stupid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

enraged_camel posted:

Are you not using the movement buttons and the mouse to look around? Because you can move the mouse to change the viewing angle and the keys to move the cursor, and with it the camera. You can move the camera just like a person (if you move with the keybinds at least--the default keybinds are awkward IMHO).

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, the A and D keys pan the camera by default while Q and E actually move it around. Swap them so it handles like normal movement.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shumagorath posted:

The only way you should feel conflicted at all is if your Warden X is someone you really liked in DA:O. Is he as upset about Hawke if you set you Keep worldstate to have them not be friends?

Oh, so it actually doesn't matter? I had Stroud, AKA Mister Generic, and I figured saving him might be better for the decision I made. Well that makes things easy. Time to go replay that battle again.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cythereal posted:

Just chatted with Varric after Hawke's death, and now I'm considering going back and playing that fight yet again and letting Stroud die instead. I'm not sure I've ever felt this conflicted about two linked choices in a Bioware game before.

Do it. Stroud is the definition of filler character. Unless he dumped a load of backstory in those few missions, I'd have no problem sending him to be spider-demon chow.

Personally, I think Loghain making the sacrifice felt the most "correct" of all the choices. It just suits his character arc the best. Not to mention that he has great dialogue in that whole section.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 27, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
OH MYFUCKING GOD, I just got to teh Orlais winter palace and I can only open a door if I have HALLA statuettes.

For real, those loving statues and toys that you collect that literally do nothing but take up inventory space so you just sell them all for the 10 gold pieces you don't give a gently caress about anyways...gently caress you and your lovely poo poo, Bioware. I hope my ire at this moment and time reaches across the world to keep you lovely designers who signed off on this awake and uncomfortable all night tonight.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Drifter posted:

OH MYFUCKING GOD, I just got to teh Orlais winter palace and I can only open a door if I have HALLA statuettes.

For real, those loving statues and toys that you collect that literally do nothing but take up inventory space so you just sell them all for the 10 gold pieces you don't give a gently caress about anyways...gently caress you and your lovely poo poo, Bioware. I hope my ire at this moment and time reaches across the world to keep you lovely designers who signed off on this awake and uncomfortable all night tonight.

No, they're items you find scattered around the palace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drifter posted:

They are special halla statuettes only found in the Winter Palace.

The inquisition may forever be known as kingmakers, but I will never forget I was only able to find 9 out of 10 halla statuettes :negative:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

zedprime posted:

They are special halla statuettes only found in the Winter Palace.

The inquisition may forever be known as kingmakers, but I will never forget I was only able to find 9 out of 10 halla statuettes :negative:

I won't forget it either because the my mission log on the gameplay screen won't let it go. It still says I need 2 more statues to enter a door no matter which mission I make active. Very obnoxious.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

In my game Iron Bull is bugged and doesn't have any dialogue options in Skyhold.... how do i fix this

i want to ride the bull

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
About 2 hours in and running around in the hinterlands and combat in this game somehow manages to be worse than both DA2 and DA:O.

It's not even remotely interesting because it feels like some kind of WoW dps rotation, and controlling individual guys is tedious and annoying. The tactical cam sucks poo poo.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

In my game Iron Bull is bugged and doesn't have any dialogue options in Skyhold.... how do i fix this

i want to ride the bull

Take him to kill a dragon. That is his big friendship opener

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is that seriously what it is? Man, I'd wish they'd put a hint or two somewhere about that. I have better fighters than Bull I took with me to kill my first dragon.

Polaron posted:

No, they're items you find scattered around the palace.

Well, I've already sent my ire and still hope it finds its mark. :colbert:
Too late to undue the damage.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Evil Canadian posted:

Haven't seen it brought up yet really, but has anyone else met the Quizquisition guy? I found him once behind the barn where blackwall stays and I failed his quiz(as it was related to the nugs and I don't know poo poo about em) and have not seen him again.

I ran into him once in this weird, decrepit, overgrown room on one of the battlements. He asked me what the first archdemon was named or something, and because he said there was a time limit I guessed instead of checking the wiki. I guessed wrong, and he vanished.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been thinking about the symbolism in this game, in terms of what the game's setting and lore was inspired by. So far I got this:

Ferelden: England
Orlais: France
Tevinter: Italy (used to be a huge empire -- Roman -- but is a shadow of its former glory now)
Antiva: Spain
Chantry: the Church
Andraste: Jesus (there's a ton of parallels: she was God's "chosen" but was betrayed, etc.)
Exalted Marches: Crusades
Templars: Crusaders
Mages: ???
Elves: Jews (used to be the dominant society, but are now oppressed)
Par Vollen: the Norse (physically imposing, have their own religion, etc.)
Blight: Islam
Dwarves: The Byzantine Empire (used to be powerful but constant attacks by the darkspawn (muslims) have left it weak)
Orzammar: Istanbul/Constantinople

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

enraged_camel posted:

I've been thinking about the symbolism in this game, in terms of what the game's setting and lore was inspired by. So far I got this:

Well they got that part right

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

You got these backwards

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Protip for sanity: don't ever let the AI use charging bull. Can't wait to get back to the civilized world so I can respec Cassandra out of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Smol posted:

Protip for sanity: don't ever let the AI use charging bull. Can't wait to get back to the civilized world so I can respec Cassandra out of it.

It's so weird. How do you cancel out of it? Like, what possible use is a skill that literally runs you five seconds away from everyone?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

The Qun is Islam. (also its the light)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Squelch Hardon posted:

You got these backwards

Why? Islam was the main antagonist religion to Christianity during the medieval period, and the Byzantine Empire (Orzammar) was Europe's front-line defense against it, just like the dwarves are the front-line defense against the darkspawn. Deep Roads are the Middle East.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

The Quin is Islam. (also its the light)

Yeah, this is another possibility. I ultimately rejected it though because it is positioned more as a philosophy of reason, rather than a religion. It might be a metaphor for science, although I don't know what that would make the Qunari.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's so weird. How do you cancel out of it? Like, what possible use is a skill that literally runs you five seconds away from everyone?

If you mash the skill button again it'll end. In theory you use it to blow over the front line and slam into a mage or something, in practice ehhhhhh

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

enraged_camel posted:

Ferelden: England
Orlais: France
Tevinter: Italy (used to be a huge empire -- Roman -- but is a shadow of its former glory now)
Antiva: Spain
Chantry: the Church
Andraste: Jesus (there's a ton of parallels: she was God's "chosen" but was betrayed, etc.)
Exalted Marches: Crusades
Templars: Crusaders
Mages: ???
Par Vollen: the Norse (physically imposing, have their own religion, etc.)
Dwarves: The Byzantine Empire (used to be powerful but constant attacks by the darkspawn (muslims) have left it weak)
Orzammar: Istanbul/Constantinople

The Qunari are very very very clearly based on Islamic culture so I have no idea why you're being super racist with the Blight thing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rosalind posted:

The Qunari are very very very clearly based on Islamic culture so I have no idea why you're being super racist with the Blight thing.

I was born and raised in an Islamic country and I don't see many parallels between Qun and Islam. For example, there were no Exalted Marches against the Qun, whereas there were Crusades against Islamic/Jewish lands (Dalish/Blight).

And I'm sorry that speculating on video game cultures is racist now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There were a couple exalted marches against the Qunari

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

enraged_camel posted:

I was born and raised in an Islamic country and I don't see many parallels between Qun and Islam.

And I'm sorry that speculating on video game cultures is racist now.

Sorry that was a bit of an overreaction, but I was born and raised in a Muslim household. The Qun is based on Sharia.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I always thought of the Qun as Islamic in terms of similar philosophies. Both are about submission, yeah? It's not a 1:1 but I feel like if you're a westerner who has only read about it there is a similarity.

I qualified that because that's the only perspective I feel qualified to give

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

I wouldn't call the Blight a culture, so much as a clear evil. And this kind of speculation is superfluous at best, there is a basis for the setting in the real world, yes. But Dragon Age is its own thing, not everything is allegory.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What about the Architect?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, this is another possibility. I ultimately rejected it though because it is positioned more as a philosophy of reason, rather than a religion. It might be a metaphor for science, although I don't know what that would make the Qunari.

Does that make them like, horned Buddhist scholars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

RentACop posted:

There were a couple exalted marches against the Qunari

Yeah, not trying to nitpick but its hard not too when some nerd has already typed it up online with citations and everything.

• Locked thread