Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Darf posted:

Tried my damndest yesterday to get the soldering right, but I don't think my destiny lies in the soldering world. I'm not giving up though, I'll figure this out tonight! I'm guessing I've overlooked something super basic.

look up tips and tricks on youtube like coating the wire with solder first and using the deoxidation gel stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

look up tips and tricks on youtube like coating the wire with solder first and using the deoxidation gel stuff
The classic instruction videos from PACE are still one of the best resources for beginners.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

it looks super 70s and i like it a lot

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Pickguard would come off and I would install a stetsbar/B5 but love those banjo inlays.

To say that dude is in a fairly massive band and probably worth a lot of money if he's involved with the clothing line they do he looks like a massive nerdy metalgoon that wouldn't be out of place at my local jam night. What the hell, rockstars?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I have wanted to make a budget humbucker/p90 parts caster for a while. Never quite figured out a good bridge option. It seemed like a rare but interesting combination.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I think my soldering is pretty sloppy but I'm actually at an improvement over when I started by leaps and bounds (it was bad)

I took two actual pictures to show what I'm looking at in relation to that schematic.

Ground wire from bridge (long yellow)

This is how I have everything soldered right now

Humbucker silver casing is soldered along with the ground yellow to back of volume pot, actual wire part of humbucker goes to first peg

Now where mine differs from the schematic is that the little red and little yellow wires I did not unsolder. They were there originally and they didn't need to be taken off for painting/sanding purposes

The grey wire is soldered onto the tone pot and the other end goes to the input jack

When I plug the guitar in I get nothing, but if I just hold the end of the guitar cord against anything metal while the amp is on I get a buzzing/live sound

Anyone see my mistake?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gripen5 posted:

I have wanted to make a budget humbucker/p90 parts caster for a while. Never quite figured out a good bridge option. It seemed like a rare but interesting combination.

That's simply a HH Gibson with a P94. You can make any HH guitar into that exact combo with a GFS Dream90 for $30.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Darf posted:

Anyone see my mistake?

The middle lug of your volume pot is the output. Solder that to the output jack tip terminal. The wire you've soldered on top of your tone pot is for grounding and goes to the other terminal of your output jack, which is called the sleeve.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Luff posted:

The middle lug of your volume pot is the output. Solder that to the output jack tip terminal. The wire you've soldered on top of your tone pot is for grounding and goes to the other terminal of your output jack, which is called the sleeve.

The gray wire is connected to both pegs of the output jack, one is white and the other is the inside wire of the gray and they both form into the single gray wire as soon as they leave the output jack.

So I should be good to go after just soldering the gray wire to the middle peg of the volume pot?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Darf posted:

The gray wire is connected to both pegs of the output jack, one is white and the other is the inside wire of the gray and they both form into the single gray wire as soon as they leave the output jack.

So I should be good to go after just soldering the gray wire to the middle peg of the volume pot?

Yes, but just the white wire inside of it. The shield (inside wire of the grey wire) needs to stay soldered to ground. Either desolder it from the back of your tone pot, cut off a bit of the outer plastic, get a hold of the white wire inside, and then solder the white wire to the middle lug of your volume pot and the shield to the back of it; or you can desolder the white wire from your output jack and get an extra wire to connect that terminal to the middle lug. Then you should be good to go.

Luff fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 26, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Man, playing F just suddenly clicked for me out of nowhere today. I'd been trying to just copy how Justin Sandercoe does it, with the index fingertip just over the low-E side of the fretboard. Today I accidentally slammed my finger down so that my index finger was massively over hanging. The end of my palm was fretting the high E. Every string rung out perfectly, and this was on my acoustic with ridiculously high action. I am overjoyed.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Man, playing F just suddenly clicked for me out of nowhere today. I'd been trying to just copy how Justin Sandercoe does it, with the index fingertip just over the low-E side of the fretboard. Today I accidentally slammed my finger down so that my index finger was massively over hanging. The end of my palm was fretting the high E. Every string rung out perfectly, and this was on my acoustic with ridiculously high action. I am overjoyed.

It's loving great, isn't it? It is a great milestone, because it distinctly goes from "that's impossible" to "that's easy" suddenly.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 26, 2014

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Luff posted:

Yes, but just the white wire inside of it. The shield (inside wire of the grey wire) needs to stay soldered to ground. Either desolder it from the back of your tone pot, cut off a bit of the outer plastic, get a hold of the white wire inside, and then solder the white wire to the middle lug of your volume pot and the shield to the back of it; or you can desolder the white wire from your output jack and get an extra wire to connect that terminal to the middle lug. Then you should be good to go.

Thank you so much, I'll try it tonight

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

After trying I still get nothing. Maybe I fried something soldering random wires to random places for the past week?

I'm thinking of taking it up to guitar center and just asking the tech there what I did wrong or if I blew something.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's possible to burn up the internal parts of pots and switches by holding an iron to them for too long, though usually it just makes them sound really scratchy as you turn them. If you have a lovely cheap iron from like Radio Shack or wherever it's really easy to do that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

it looks super 70s and i like it a lot

I'm gonna become a big famous guitarman and bring back walnut finishes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So uh I was browsing the amazing Amazon lightning deals and saw this bargain

Crystal Tones Mixed Tin of Plectrums (Tin of Four)

• Rose quartz, blue lace agate, red sandstone & gold tiger eye
  • Amazing warm tone, great for jazz or blues
  • 4mm thick with a chamfered precise tip

A steal at only £24.99 ($40) - that's half price!

100% claimed O_o

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

baka kaba posted:

100% claimed O_o

You should see what people pay for tortoiseshell picks

Speaking of spending money on things, do we have a Black Friday deal watch? Specifically I'm looking for whichever site has the best general discount coupon. I see Musicians Friend has 15% off orders over $199, anybody see anything that beats that?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

baka kaba posted:

100% claimed O_o

lmao, do you wanna crosspost that here, or should I?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm not the kind to post about sales and poo poo, but PRS SE cu24's are only about $400 on sweetwater right now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

lmao, do you wanna crosspost that here, or should I?

Haha go for it, I honestly wasn't entirely sure I wasn't :can: with this one. Crazy things happen in the world of picks

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

baka kaba posted:

Haha go for it, I honestly wasn't entirely sure I wasn't :can: with this one. Crazy things happen in the world of picks

Of all the things that matter to tone, picks are absolutely on the list. They're higher up on the list than wood or ceramic vs. foil caps, that's for drat sure.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I don't know about gemstones, but the size and thickness of those picks are not uncommon or superfluous like some of the poo poo in that thread. And they usually cost more too so all things considered the deal wasn't awful for that many picks. If you don't know what to expect from the sound and feel of them, though, then they might just sit around looking pretty. Or make jewelry out of them; I don't know.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I've played with a lot of different materials, none of which came even remotely close to convincing me to spend more than $1.50 per pick by the 12 pack or thereabouts.

It might make a huge difference but $10 per pick is stupid.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 27, 2014

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

comes along bort posted:

It's possible to burn up the internal parts of pots and switches by holding an iron to them for too long, though usually it just makes them sound really scratchy as you turn them. If you have a lovely cheap iron from like Radio Shack or wherever it's really easy to do that.

This one was like $12 from a local store. Is that considered cheap/lovely? Probably. The closest guitar center is like an hour away though, so I think I'll plan a trip for this Saturday.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

I've played with a lot of different materials, none of which came even remotely close to convincing me to spend more than $1.50 per pick by the 12 pack or thereabouts.

It might make a huge difference but $10 per pick is stupid.

It's only stupid if your tone comes from your effects, overdrive etc. Some picks are objectively better at getting the full sound from your instrument than others and cost more since they are usually not mass produced from cheap material.

Picks that cost more that I have and would buy again:

Tortoise shell. Yes it's overpriced but that is because you are getting it from old hairbrushes and poo poo, or from murdered endangered tortoises. But the sound is awesome and not matched except closely by a few others. The price is arguable way too high for a pick that will require maintenance and will need to be replaced due to wear.

Red Bear picks. Synthetic she'll material is cut up and handmade into picks. Takes away a lot of the weaknesses of tortoise shell (price, pain in the rear end to replace if broken or lost) with pretty much the same sound (as long as the tip is shaped the same, same thickness etc.) and feel as a tortoise pick.

Blue Chip. I need to try these but basically similar to Red Bear from what I've heard.

V-Picks. Made from some clear material that really sticks to your fingers in a good way, stopping pick rotation if you like to use a loose grip or your hand gets sweaty. I think they are 5 bucks a pop? So all things considered, no reason not to try one. Comes in all shapes and sizes.

Not gemstone picks unfortunately. Probably will be very Clarke and unwieldy, but maybe the tips will be shaped nicely, who knows.

All of these are thick picks, and even the "thin" on some of these would still not bend and be considered a heavy pick to most. Honestly, the majority of the time I just stick to the purple Tortex picks because they have been my standby for so long. The big difference that I think anyone recognizes after going from cheapo picks to something heavier is that the shape of the tip of the pick makes such a huge difference to whether you will like it or not. Red Bear picks do not wear, for example, so you can order them normal or beveled where they angle the tip of the pick as if it is like a well-played-on old Tortex or something.

Apart from all the sperginess of this, you could have a blind listening test between something really common, say a fender medium, vs. any of these picks and definitely hear a difference if you are on acoustic or fairly clean with electric. Or even with some overdrive. Just not saturated with processing, because then the pick really doesn't have so much impact on the sound.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

rio posted:

It's only stupid if your tone comes from your effects, overdrive etc. Some picks are objectively better at getting the full sound from your instrument than others and cost more since they are usually not mass produced from cheap material.

Picks that cost more that I have and would buy again:

Tortoise shell. Yes it's overpriced but that is because you are getting it from old hairbrushes and poo poo, or from murdered endangered tortoises. But the sound is awesome and not matched except closely by a few others. The price is arguable way too high for a pick that will require maintenance and will need to be replaced due to wear.

Red Bear picks. Synthetic she'll material is cut up and handmade into picks. Takes away a lot of the weaknesses of tortoise shell (price, pain in the rear end to replace if broken or lost) with pretty much the same sound (as long as the tip is shaped the same, same thickness etc.) and feel as a tortoise pick.

Blue Chip. I need to try these but basically similar to Red Bear from what I've heard.

V-Picks. Made from some clear material that really sticks to your fingers in a good way, stopping pick rotation if you like to use a loose grip or your hand gets sweaty. I think they are 5 bucks a pop? So all things considered, no reason not to try one. Comes in all shapes and sizes.

Not gemstone picks unfortunately. Probably will be very Clarke and unwieldy, but maybe the tips will be shaped nicely, who knows.

All of these are thick picks, and even the "thin" on some of these would still not bend and be considered a heavy pick to most. Honestly, the majority of the time I just stick to the purple Tortex picks because they have been my standby for so long. The big difference that I think anyone recognizes after going from cheapo picks to something heavier is that the shape of the tip of the pick makes such a huge difference to whether you will like it or not. Red Bear picks do not wear, for example, so you can order them normal or beveled where they angle the tip of the pick as if it is like a well-played-on old Tortex or something.

Apart from all the sperginess of this, you could have a blind listening test between something really common, say a fender medium, vs. any of these picks and definitely hear a difference if you are on acoustic or fairly clean with electric. Or even with some overdrive. Just not saturated with processing, because then the pick really doesn't have so much impact on the sound.

cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think this backfired because I'm interested in those gem picks now.

I doubt I'll buy them though considering v-picks exist and I'm planning on making a big order from there soon.

Buy v-picks

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't understand the whole super-hard/super-thick thing with picks.

I've tried thin and thick harder picks (a Big Stubby was the limit on both thickness and hardness), but they just end up crashing into the strings, like you gotta really murder the gently caress out of the string to push through it when you're strumming. Fender mediums are usually my limit, and often I play with these Dunlop nylons of the same thickness.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Here you can enjoy the rest of the collection!

http://www.timber-tones.com/

Honestly it seems to be less about tone and more about 'look what we made a pick out of', which is fine and all but a lot of these 'gemstones' are stuff you can get from a bead shop, and £12 each is pretty wacky. You can buy a collection of 36 for only £400! I'm not really sure you're meant to play with them...

I mean there's some cool stuff in here, don't get me wrong, some of it's reasonably priced, and a lot of it's definitely interesting - what does a felt pick sound like? Also uh is this fixing a problem I didn't know existed?
Picks for lefties

e- loving hell, platinum picks
http://www.timber-tones.com/treasure-tones-platinum-237-p.asp
Guess how much £5000

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 27, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like what they make but the prices are pretty awful and uncompetitive. I've bought a few expensive "rare" handmade bone picks and such but if you're dropping hundreds of dollars then uhhhhh.

Allen Wren posted:

I don't understand the whole super-hard/super-thick thing with picks.

I've tried thin and thick harder picks (a Big Stubby was the limit on both thickness and hardness), but they just end up crashing into the strings, like you gotta really murder the gently caress out of the string to push through it when you're strumming. Fender mediums are usually my limit, and often I play with these Dunlop nylons of the same thickness.

No offense but that's just your technique. I can strum fine with a completely rigid thick pick, even with a very soft attack. If you're used to those kind of thin picks it will take a while to adjust but it'll happen.

Thin picks are fun on acoustics if you're just relaxing and strumming some chords but I'd much rather have something like a v-pick traditional. There's a point where anything too thin just sounds clicky and sharp.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

No offense but that's just your technique.

Okay, but my point is, like I said, I don't understand. Not "I prefer X over Y," I flat-out don't get how Y works. I guess I have lovely technique, but that's not really a surprise.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Big stubbies seem good in theory but they wear down to a nub if you so much as look at them.

Allen Wren posted:

Okay, but my point is, like I said, I don't understand. Not "I prefer X over Y," I flat-out don't get how Y works. I guess I have lovely technique, but that's not really a surprise.

Have you tried a jazz III? The smaller size forces you to grip closer to the edge and changes your technique a little. If you're used to choking up higher on a regular size pick, I could see where a thicker pick would be harder to use, since you'd be fighting with the strings more.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 28, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Big stubbies seem good in theory but they wear down to a nub if you so much as look at them.

Have you tried a jazz III? The smaller size forces you to grip closer to the edge and changes your technique a little. If you're used to choking up higher on a regular size pick, I could see where a thicker pick would be harder to use, since you'd be fighting with the strings more.

I have not.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

If you are just strumming away it doesn't matter, but if you try to play leads or be precise you simply can't be super precise with a floppy pick.

If you are new, the thinner/floppier pick is easier because it is forgiving. Also, it's great to use a floppy pick for strummin'.

I use my fingers 90% of the time but when I have to pick, I use jazz 3's, it gives me a similar feeling of playing with hands, because you are right up on the strings.

*disclaimer im sure some guitar god somewhere uses a limp piece of parchment paper or something i'm just generalizing

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Having a thicker pick also makes a difference for some kinds of strumming! Jazz rhythm guitar, for instance.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jaguar Pickup question: Are they just standard sized Fender single coils, or are they an odd size? Like not strat size?

I just ordered a Squire Jaguar, because musicians friend has a 15% off deal for black Friday, and I have been eyeing one for months. I usually end up swapping pickups in all my guitars eventually, so I am wondering about these pickups. Am I going to need to buy a special jaguar pickup?

Any recommendations for replacement pickups?

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 28, 2014

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Dirt posted:

Jaguar Pickup question: Are they just standard sized Fender single coils, or are they an odd size? Like not strat size?

I just ordered a Squire Jaguar, because musicians friend has a 15% off deal for black Friday, and I have been eyeing one for months. I usually end up swapping pickups in all my guitars eventually, so I am wondering about these pickups. Am I going to need to buy a special jaguar pickup?

Any recommendations for replacement pickups?

I think i got the Seymour Duncan SJAG-2 set, and it's pretty spectacular.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Lots of the Squiers have Duncan designed pickups which are pretty good. See how you like them before you set your mind on purchasing new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

juche mane posted:

Lots of the Squiers have Duncan designed pickups which are pretty good. See how you like them before you set your mind on purchasing new ones.

This is what I wanted to say, too. I have been 100% satisfied with the pups that came in my squier cv thinline.