Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What? Actively thinking about time travel and alternate selves really fucks with the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gaunab posted:

What? Actively thinking about time travel and alternate selves really fucks with the mind.

"If I tell you, you might explode."

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gaunab posted:

It only works because, as we were told, Prismo exists outside time and alternate timestreams.

That was an amazing episode. Has Adventure Time completely abandoned non-strange episodes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So yeah remember not very long ago when I was saying how much I love Moynihan?

God dammit I freaking love Moynihan. He doesn't have twitter anymore so I really hope he still reads this thread so he knows I think he's a goddamn genius.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bown posted:

God dammit I freaking love Moynihan. He doesn't have twitter anymore so I really hope he still reads this thread so he knows I think he's a goddamn genius.

If I had known this episode was coming I would have saved myself $10 and skipped Interstellar. That was some loving entertaining time stream shenanigans.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Mameluke posted:

That seems likely, I mean all the background characters are adorable little dinosaurs.

The comet is implied to be the one that killed off the dinosaurs, so the setting is probably tens of millions of years in the past.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Finn's swords have gone from a family heirloom, to a part of his body, to a sword that is literally himself.
I am not sure what could follow that in progression.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bown posted:

Nah, he's off social media entirely. You should send him, like, an email if you really want him to know that.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Usually the revival of dead characters is a sure sign that a television show has entered its decline, but this was one of the best episodes of all time.

Acne Rain posted:

Finn's swords have gone from a family heirloom, to a part of his body, to a sword that is literally himself.
I am not sure what could follow that in progression.
A sword that fractally contains an infinitude of the AT Universe inside itself.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

snucks posted:

A shipper's dream sword, basically.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

snucks posted:

Usually the revival of dead characters is a sure sign that a television show has entered its decline, but this was one of the best episodes of all time.

Done it.

Also: Browsing that Wiki, I noticed something from the 'Breezy' episode:

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Done it.

Also: Browsing that Wiki, I noticed something from the 'Breezy' episode:

That's pretty cool, man.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm really gonna need a breakdown of what was going on in Prismo's plan B in that episode. It seemed to be given enough focus that there is an actual explanation for everything, but I'm not really sure where to start analyzing it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
End goal: Trap Jake in eternal slumber to become his new host

Basically, Jake goes in and falls asleep in the trap, Prismo grabs Finn and makes him wake up Jake, Finn wakes up Jake, Prismo then makes Finn stop himself from waking up Jake by taking advantage of the time loops in the place, deleting second Finn and trapping second Jake forever.

Prismo knew that he'd be stuck in time loopy land and figured out how to game the system by exploiting the fact that interacting with yourself deletes the one you interrupt. He is exploiting the mechanics of creating/fixing paradoxes. Or something like that.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Ah, okay, so Finn didn't really kill an alternate version of himself, just eradicate the loop, as we saw happening with Jake earlier. I like that more than Finn just killing a version of himself from an alternate reality.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Calico Heart posted:

Ah, okay, so Finn didn't really kill an alternate version of himself, just eradicate the loop, as we saw happening with Jake earlier. I like that more than Finn just killing a version of himself from an alternate reality.

I read it through a many-worlds interpretation. Prismo and Prismo's realm exist outside of branching timestreams (hence Jake stayed the same when Farmworld overwrote Ooo). By trapping Jake and inducing a branch, Prismo created two worlds, one where Jake is sleeping as his host, one where Jake is awake and free. Because Prismo exists as a privileged observer, Prismo exists if there is a sleeper in any timestream, who he then privileges in his realm.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
So, if I'm reading it right, Prismo didn't reincarnate but instead hasn't ceased to be yet (via the old man waking up, who was always an alternate version of Jake)?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

So, if I'm reading it right, Prismo didn't reincarnate but instead hasn't ceased to be yet (via the old man waking up, who was always an alternate version of Jake)?

I don't think that's it, but I honestly don't know why Jake turned into the old man. I think that place has a timeline of sorts that Prismo can ignore, like we saw Jake walking around and viewing past events including the old man waking up and dying, so Jake taking his place happened after that. The new Prismo commenting on being alive again seems to indicate this as well, but trying to figure this out from old Prismo's POV is a bit confusing. He mentioned pretending to talk to Finn before Finn got there, but then seemed to be able to respond, so it's not like a recording, or he predicted Finn's responses, I dunno.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
it all made sense until sleeping jake turned into old man prismo. unless thats just part of the magic of prismo, like how everyone who wears the crown starts to look like the ice king.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Who voiced goose?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
drat that Prismo episode was probably one of the best ones yet.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

He's definitely discontinuous -- when Jake goes to sleep he realizes he died and Plan B brought him back. I'm up in the air as to whether the Lich killed Jake or whether that's just what Prismo-hosts look like.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Who voiced goose?

Billy West

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

He's definitely discontinuous -- when Jake goes to sleep he realizes he died and Plan B brought him back. I'm up in the air as to whether the Lich killed Jake or whether that's just what Prismo-hosts look like.

I'm pretty positive that was Prismo's human form originally. Jake was able to be the replacement because of their "bro-bond."

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
And now Finn is holding himself when he clutches his sword.

penis

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they made him shift into the old man so it would make "more sense" even though it actually is the only thing that doesn't make sense.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I don't know if this helps it make a bit more sense or only makes it somehow worse, but do remember that Jake is a shapeshifter. He could be dreaming so hard he shifted into the old man somehow.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Brightman posted:

I don't know if this helps it make a bit more sense or only makes it somehow worse, but do remember that Jake is a shapeshifter. He could be dreaming so hard he shifted into the old man somehow.

Prismo is also a reality-altering cosmic wishmaster. If he wants his host body to look like he used to, I'm pretty sure he can just make it happen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Octopode posted:

Prismo is also a reality-altering cosmic wishmaster. If he wants his host body to look like he used to, I'm pretty sure he can just make it happen.

A much better point. A wizard wishmaster did it.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Pick posted:

I think they made him shift into the old man so it would make "more sense" even though it actually is the only thing that doesn't make sense.

I think this was done for children's sake. It would be too confusing to have them think that Jake is trapped and if he ever escaped that Prismo would die, so they just rebooted the original timeline to save on confusion and panic.

And yeah, sure the wishmaster and shapeshifting thing.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
This had to be my favorite use of time manipulation I have seen on a TV, that I can recall at the moment.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Finn pushing his tongue back in like a dropped jaw was the best.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The thing that didn't make sense to me was broken time loop Jakes exploding and BTL Finn turning into an object. But I suspect that since this happened in Prismo's domain and since Prismo's the kind of guy who's very much aware of his dubious morality but proceeds with it anyway, this may have been done to distract Finn from the fact that he was trapping a version of his brother in eternal sleep.

And I was so happy when Zapp showed up in Everything Jake.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Who the hell decided to give Ninjago an actual timeslot with the real shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball and Clarence

I thought everyone was ok with it being in the early-afternoon ghetto.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

That was a great episode.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Animal Planet episode awesome

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode is very good

JT Jag