Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

How do I do these things. I would like to do these things.

I found out how to do these things. I love XML files. They are nice and beautiful and wonderful.

beep by grandpa posted:

edit: no one will get this but all that pic needs is a QTE prompt under it that says PROTECT EARTH

I got it and I smiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Since you have a soul heart, you won't lose a life when you take the nail. You'll just go down to zero heart containers. Although I would keep the book over the nail, since the increased devil room chance is so good.

Book increases devil room chance? Keeping it and taking the cat! My damage is absolutely insane whenever I use the book too thanks to some crazy good items on floor 1.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
So apparently the emperor card doesn't let you open a door to the mom fight anymore.

I had 6 battery pick ups with the d6. I am livid.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I can confirm that Azazel's mini-brim, at least, has no interaction with enemy brimstones. :sigh:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So, uh, my first Family Man run is turning out to be a good one I guess? Invalidating the challenge in three separate ways is pretty good. (Now watch me gently caress it up somehow.)

e: Nope, Chaos Carded Isaac with three and a half hearts left! (Because on top of everything else I had Placenta, which basically ensured I couldn't die outside boss fights.)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 26, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
H8T7
847Z

I am poo poo at this game and managed to piss away every advantage this utterly amazing seed gave to me. Cricket's head and the all stat up mushroom on floor 1. Tear up pills and items out the wazoo.

And what clears did I get? None! I'm so mad at myself. How is it that almost every time I get an overpowered build I fritter away all my hearts on random trash? Should have got Judas' boss rush, heart and satan clears with this easily.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 26, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Ok so Polycephalus and one of those worms that can hide and become invulnerable each took me about five minutes to kill because they would hide the whole damned time. Was it because I was holding down my fire button for my chocolate milk? Because I'm going to go crazy if I have to wait this long over and over again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Polywhateverthefuck is programmed to go down from being stationary and then pop up when he's close to you, so just stay near him and then backpedal when he pops up. The enemies are totally random and are loving annoying and have no strategy.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

I've been doing this:

1.) Be Isaac with D6 on Normal to reduce floor size.
2.) Check the Treasure Room. Don't Reroll. If it is an item that can let me access Secret Rooms easily (X-Ray Glasses, Miner's Hat, any explosive item like Dr. Fetus or Ipecac), I'll do a full run or that game.
3.) Go through every room to determine which spots qualify for being a Secret Room spot. Bomb it and hope you get it.
4.) If you are in the Secret Room and there's an item, take it or reroll it to a different (and hopefully) one you need.
5.) If there's a locked/sealed/curse chest and it opens with an item, DON'T TAKE IT! Instead, reroll it. Since it's in the Secret Room, it'll reroll into an item that belongs in the Secret Room pool.
6.) If there are mushrooms, pots, or skulls, and you can blow them up, do so for a chance for them to drop an item (Quarter, Super Mushroom, Dry Baby, etc.) so they can be rerolled into a Secret Room item.
7.) If possible, check and buy items from the shop, specifically the Blue Map. If you do, continue a whole run from there and use the steps mentioned above for the Secret Room. If you find a Pandora's Box (and can buy it), take it to the secret room and use it. Again, it can be rerolled using the Secret Room item pool.
8.) IF NONE OF THESE are helpful at the time, reroll the Treasure room item for a item that can help find Secret Rooms easily.
9.) If all else fails, hold R to restart. Repeat the steps.

Another good tip is have something on the TV or music because this WILL be very tedious.

That's a good method! Followed it and got the Raw Liver on the secret room of the Chest on my first X-Ray Vision run. Greed spawned there and dropped something, so I rolled a couple of times to get it. Also managed to nab the Godhead on that one by using the D6 on the half key the angel drops.

After that it was another 10 minutes of resets to get the D100 from the item room, and I'm now part of the 0.2%.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Beeme posted:

That's a good method! Followed it and got the Raw Liver on the secret room of the Chest on my first X-Ray Vision run. Greed spawned there and dropped something, so I rolled a couple of times to get it. Also managed to nab the Godhead on that one by using the D6 on the half key the angel drops.

After that it was another 10 minutes of resets to get the D100 from the item room, and I'm now part of the 0.2%.

Thanks! It got me the Noose and Skeleton Key for Platinum God yesterday. :v:

And now it's time for The Lost runs..... :suicide:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Beeme posted:

I'm honestly really surprised that apparently there's a significant chunk of people who've gone to the trouble of beating everything with The Lost, but can't be bothered to actually get Plat/Real Plat God.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Polywhateverthefuck is programmed to go down from being stationary and then pop up when he's close to you, so just stay near him and then backpedal when he pops up. The enemies are totally random and are loving annoying and have no strategy.

Well that's... radically different from every other enemy in the game with no indication of what it's doing.

Thanks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TheModernAmerican posted:

Well that's... radically different from every other enemy in the game with no indication of what it's doing.

Thanks.

I had assumed that once I saw that it starts moving toward you once it burrows.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Currently in a Lost run, and I am in a lucky position with both Epic Fetus and a Dead Cat. I am in a tresure room with Monstro's Lung in it. I am terrified yet coruious on what it'll do. Can someone tell me what it does so I can decide if I should take it or leave it? :ohdear:

Edit: Okay, bit the bullet and took it. Epic Fetus overrides it. Still in good shape.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I was so happy to find brimstone in the demo man challenge; I could kill things easily, you know?

Dr. Fetus overrides Brimstone. gently caress. Guess I'll have to hope for a dice room, because holy poo poo does it suck to have bombs blow up in your face without even killing many enemies.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Oddly Ipecac makes Dr. Fetus bombs do no damage to you so it's really good if you can't find Pyromania.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Just another night of praying for the sweet release of death to liberate me from playing the lost...

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Just died on my Lost with with the mentioned Epic Fetus/Dead Cat above. Died to two Lokis in the room before Isaac. I at least unlocked the "O" baby. :shobon:

So when doing a lost run, what's best to do first, ??? or the Lamb? The Lamb path has Mind and Soul which can be very useful in Lost runs (especially Soul), and the ??? path has Body (useless for Lost) and Isaac's Heart. I'm not entirely sure how good Isaac's Heart is when you need to protect it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffleopolis posted:

Just died on my Lost with with the mentioned Epic Fetus/Dead Cat above. Died to two Lokis in the room before Isaac. I at least unlocked the "O" baby. :shobon:

So when doing a lost run, what's best to do first, ??? or the Lamb? The Lamb path has Mind and Soul which can be very useful in Lost runs (especially Soul), and the ??? path has Body (useless for Lost) and Isaac's Heart. I'm not entirely sure how good Isaac's Heart is when you need to protect it.

It would allow you to sue curse rooms, blood donation machines, and demon beggars though.

Why do magnetic tears override scythe tears?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

Why do magnetic tears override scythe tears?

I don't know but it happened to me too and I HATE it. They would have such excellent synergy if it worked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scythes take the back seat to a lot of things, I've noticed. I had shielded tears and the drop for winning the boss room was Death's Touch, but I didn't get shielded scythes when I picked it up. Think I got the damage buff and the enemy penetration effect, though so it's not like it really mattered.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

GeneX posted:

I was so happy to find brimstone in the demo man challenge; I could kill things easily, you know?

Dr. Fetus overrides Brimstone. gently caress. Guess I'll have to hope for a dice room, because holy poo poo does it suck to have bombs blow up in your face without even killing many enemies.

For Demo Man, all you really need is one or two damage ups and/or Mr. Mega. The damage from Dr. Fetus starts out mediocre, but scales really well. High damage orbitals like the cube of meat are very useful too. Barring really unfortunate room layouts you should never really need to blow up bombs right next to yourself.

Also, you get infinite bombs. (Duh.) That means free access to every secret and super secret room, potential soul hearts from every tinted rock and blue fire, potential coins from every pot and shopkeeper, potential pills from every mushroom, and potential tarot cards or evil hearts from every skull. Oh, and probably the occasional trapdoor to a free item or black market from normal rocks. And this is all assuming you don't get the lucky rock, which essentially gives you infinite money. It helps if you've upgraded the shop a few times so you can take advantage of the extra money.

Oh, and you should drop the Match Stick instantly - it just gives you more bombs, which are the worst possible drop for you for obvious reasons.

Honestly I found Demo Man one of the easier challenges, even without finding anything particularly broken. I'd consider it far more pleasant than Beans, Solar System, Head Trauma, Cat Got Your Tongue, Suicide King, Family Man or The Tank, and that's just off the top of my head.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh god do the Lamb path first please, for your own sanity. I killed ??? on normal with the Lost and unlocked those two, and they are absolutely useless/actively bad for the Lost. Isaac's Heart follows you around like a familiar, and while it may seem nice that you are now invulnerable, think about all those times you had Dry Baby and the necronomicon effect would proc because he got hit when you were dodging something. Now imagine instead of that procing, you died. Yeah.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just got Dead Boy! :toot:

I was playing Samson, and I had triple-shot homing knives and the unicorn stump. I don't think the game could have carried me any harder.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Just had a game get screwed in the absolute dumbest way on Basement 2:

I killed a Mulligan in a way that one of the flies that came out of him spawned on the concrete block, and then it flew into the center. Because plain black non-flashing flies don't home in on you and move in a totally random pattern, the odds of it coming back out so I can kill it are incredibly low. Because Judas starts with no bombs, I can't bomb my way in either. As I type this it is slowly moving toward the center of the room in the middle of all the rocks.

:cripes:

A bit late but I'm pretty sure you could have just quit and reloaded. Would have started you in the room with everything respawned, giving you another chance to not gently caress up.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone know the exact requirements for Platinum God? I've gotten all secrets and found all items except for the Lost-related things. Do you have to kill all bosses, too? I don't think I've ever seen Triachnid. I'm really hoping I don't have to find him.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Van Kraken posted:

Does anyone know the exact requirements for Platinum God? I've gotten all secrets and found all items except for the Lost-related things.

All of the items except the Lost five? All of the secrets except for the eight Lost ones and the two Platinum God ones, 168/178? All of the endings, too?

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Alright! Finally unlocked the Lost after getting all other achievements with exception of Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl. Now the hard part begins :smith:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wow, Soy Milk is a lot better as cain. It's much easier to predict where your tears will send the enemies when they come out as a single stream rather than hitting them in a different place every time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, I hate Eve.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Geez, if I wanna get Dead Boy, I'm facing the Lamb. No matter how many times I face ???, he just teleports right on me even though I'm moving so fast.

Still, with shielded Cancer Polyphemus tears with all five Guppy items, he didn't last long anyway, but he teleported on me twice and I just don't know how to avoid it.

Also, as this is the third time I've done it :siren:DON'T BRING THE LEFT HAND TO THE CHEST!:siren: If I want four lovely red chests I'll go to the dark room instead and get ten spiders and eight troll bombs.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Man, I hate Eve.

If you're not in permanent whore state by the first devil deal, you're doing it wrong.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Manatee Cannon posted:

Man, I hate Eve.

What do you hate about her? I only hate when I can't manage to get rid of her hearts, but if you can keep WoB on she tears poo poo up.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just got my first Mega Satan kill! I had very little in the way of damage upgrades and almost nothing in terms of tear effects (though I did get Technology in the Chest). Chaos card let me skip the entire first form, and 3 pretty flies let me tank the last one :toot:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Ariong posted:

I had assumed that once I saw that it starts moving toward you once it burrows.

I took that as run away before it pops up underneath you like all the other burrowing enemies in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

If you're not in permanent whore state by the first devil deal, you're doing it wrong.

If I could get a devil room maybe there wouldn't be a problem.

Ror posted:

What do you hate about her? I only hate when I can't manage to get rid of her hearts, but if you can keep WoB on she tears poo poo up.

Thing is, no. No she does not, even when Whore of Babylon is active. She's basically a much worse version of Judas. And if the game decides you need health ups and Horsemen more than anything? Well, tough poo poo I guess. I made it through to final stage of the boss rush running on half a heart the whole way, it was like playing the Lost except worse because I couldn't fly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Took 5 Lost runs to luck into a Quarter on the first floor which gave me the Stopwatch. Paired that with Triple Shot and every damage upgrade you can think of. I walked through the Boss Rush and ??? like it was nothing.

Because of this insane luck I'm assuming the game is going to bend me over for a long time trying to get the Lamb kill.

At this point I don't think I'm going to try a run without the Stopwatch so I'll just try and get 15 coins and a Stopwatch by the first 2-3 floors and if not I'll reset. It's such an overpowered item that it essentially voids the Heart/Isaac/???/Lamb fights and makes Satan and Mom the only really tough fights to no hit.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Uuuughhhh got beat by the Lamb with Lost on hard, had his health down to the last like 1/8th, had holy mantle active, got hit twice by his loving brimstone. gently caress

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Took 5 Lost runs to luck into a Quarter on the first floor which gave me the Stopwatch. Paired that with Triple Shot and every damage upgrade you can think of. I walked through the Boss Rush and ??? like it was nothing.

Because of this insane luck I'm assuming the game is going to bend me over for a long time trying to get the Lamb kill.

At this point I don't think I'm going to try a run without the Stopwatch so I'll just try and get 15 coins and a Stopwatch by the first 2-3 floors and if not I'll reset. It's such an overpowered item that it essentially voids the Heart/Isaac/???/Lamb fights and makes Satan and Mom the only really tough fights to no hit.

It actually makes Lamb kinda hard. Making his homing shots slower gives them more time to swerve and try to hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

If I could get a devil room maybe there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm sorry that you're so bad at not taking damage despite having higher speed and damage attributes than any other starting character apart from Azazel's brimstone, then?