Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

People keep saying Rhino is OP but I'm not really seeing it. It's really powerful to be sure, but lacks self heals and has extremely limited AOE options (and only 1 that works for range). What it does have is rock solid durability, good up close and personal stuff, and great sustained DPS.

Is the crazy OPness of the frame something that comes out only at later levels or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Iron skin makes you immune to knockdown, thus you can fire with your boltor prime for longer. Also the stomp is an ae stun more than a damage, so it's difficult to die.

You don't do any DPS when you're dead.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DelphiAegis posted:

Iron skin makes you immune to knockdown, thus you can fire with your boltor prime for longer. Also the stomp is an ae stun more than a damage, so it's difficult to die.

Unless the Nautilus comes for you.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

People keep saying Rhino is OP but I'm not really seeing it. It's really powerful to be sure, but lacks self heals and has extremely limited AOE options (and only 1 that works for range). What it does have is rock solid durability, good up close and personal stuff, and great sustained DPS.

Is the crazy OPness of the frame something that comes out only at later levels or something?

Rhino is OP in PvP. You can get a very long and powerful Heavy Armor. Combined with health perks, you are basically a damage sponge. Combine with the fact that they have one of the highest DPS weapons in the game that is ALSO hitscan and, well, you have a monster. Oh, and Charge can stun-lock people until they die. gg close

It is also the primary raid frame because it just shits damage everywhere. Toss a Power Field on a raid-outfit Rhino and watch him hit 10 million damage done.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Morglon posted:

Unless the Nautilus comes for you.

That's what I get for phone posting. Thought this was the warframe thread. :saddowns:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Are both Goon Squad and Goon Squad Two full? I'm unable to apply to them. Additionally, what is with not being able to uplink with SIN terminals?

I am FiveFingers in game

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 22, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I bet they just hosed up armies somehow. The other night I left GOON2 to move to GOONS and found that even after restarting the game I couldn't apply to any armies, even ones that were open for recruitment. I was able to get in once I was invited though so I guess just post your player name.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah something is fishy there, lost army chat for a while yesterday and our group just stopped existing during Miru. We still finished it find but people were confused as gently caress.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

Yeah something is fishy there, lost army chat for a while yesterday and our group just stopped existing during Miru. We still finished it find but people were confused as gently caress.

Squad, platoon, team?, army chat, and friends lists are all handled by the chat server. If that goes down, you lose access to all of them. If army chat died and your squad disappeared, then you lost connection to the chat server.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It was the entire group though not just me. So maybe chat server poo poo itself for like a minute there. Not really a big deal.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I threw together a quick addon to help with running jobs now that the game seems to be invalidating job listings under more situations.
JobMem
It allows for remote job pulling and canceling. The commands are
code:
/repeatjob	Set your current job to auto repeat
/stopjob	Clears the repeat flag AND cancels your current job.
/savejob	Manually save your current active job id for later
/loadjob	Load the saved job
Rules: The job you plan to pull need to be available to you, meaning that is tied to the board you most recently used during your current play session and that it was on the list at that time.
A job set will be altered if you access a board after completing a job and may occasionally be invalidated by changing squad formation or waiting more than 5 seconds after completing a job.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Thank you muchly, that one is going into my addons folder.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Added the Boing! LFG, Hit Harder, and Loot Tracker addons to the OP. Everybody should at least be running with Loot Tracker.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The new crafting system is now on the PTS.

If anybody wants to see how recipes have changed, take a look at this post:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/pts-11-24-current-testing-focus-crafting-and-new-build.5790021/#post-83948621

Uranium costs are down.
Hybrid amounts are greatly increased.
Cost of hybrids greatly decreased.

T1 and T2 prefixes are easy to make. T3 prefixes require item drops.

EDIT: On the PTS, items cost 35.7% of the price on live. That is a LOT cheaper. You can craft almost 3 items for the same price as 1 item on live. However, there are now a lot more sub-components required, and each one takes something like 20 minutes to craft. You are looking at 41 hours of crafting to make a single item. Much cheaper to make, but longer to create.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So they're going back to the way things used to be or at least partially. Good thing they have a clear vision and know what the gently caress they're doing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

This makes it the how many-ieth time they've overhauled crafting now?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kessel posted:

First time for me, and it's welcome. The crystite cost for the research alone absolutely tanks any viability of crafting anything. For example, I can get any thumper I need on the marketplace for fewer credits than the converted crystite cost alone of researching one, much less manufacturing it

More components = more bottlenecks = more opportunities to gouge people in the marketplace.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's not a crafting overhaul. They've slashed the cost of making poo poo while also letting you control the prefixes you get when making weapons and abilities. When you click on your weapon, there is a new area where you can add customization components. You can build a longmag component, or a custom longmag component, or any other prefix. If you choose to not add a customization component, you get a random prefix like normal.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I just started up and now have two battleframes up to minimal levels (12 for engie & 7 for Medic). Apparently, I somehow missed claiming the permanent newbie LGV due to real life popping up. Is it worth restarting a new character to get the LGV, or do you think it's worth trudging on to level 25 until I can just craft it?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
So if I've got all the mats necessary to build my purple lvl40 rocket turret, should I build it now or wait?

Does the increased hybrid cost mean I'm going to need to make more mats once this refresh hits?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Fishvilla posted:

I just started up and now have two battleframes up to minimal levels (12 for engie & 7 for Medic). Apparently, I somehow missed claiming the permanent newbie LGV due to real life popping up. Is it worth restarting a new character to get the LGV, or do you think it's worth trudging on to level 25 until I can just craft it?

The starting freebie one, is ok, but not great. You get enough freebie one uses from the slot machine, and the abundant glider pads that waiting till 25 isn't that bad at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fishvilla posted:

They changed it so you can get your first LGV once you get to Trans Hub. I wouldn't bother re-rolling your character.

EDIT: I think the quest is called "Graduation". Look for it.

fatman1683 posted:

So if I've got all the mats necessary to build my purple lvl40 rocket turret, should I build it now or wait?

Does the increased hybrid cost mean I'm going to need to make more mats once this refresh hits?

No, the cost of hybrids is substantially DECREASED in the next patch. Items take MORE hybrids, but even then you are still looking at a net decrease in the number of mats needed to craft the item. Don't craft until the patch.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Nalin posted:

No, the cost of hybrids is substantially DECREASED in the next patch. Items take MORE hybrids, but even then you are still looking at a net decrease in the number of mats needed to craft the item. Don't craft until the patch.

Right, but I've already crafted the hybrids, just not the ability. So come patchday, I'm not going to be able to craft the ability unless they apply the new multipliers to everyone's inventory of components.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
I'm level 32. Just came back to game. Friend started and is level 7. How can he pick up jobs or quests that then I can see so that I can help him with them? Seems like they are all kept from me, even though if he's squad leader he accepts jobs?

What other ways can I help him level? I was just going to run around with him and blow through all ares missions/calls for help/job boards so he can get the xp rewards. My turrets make quick work of anything that pops for him. I just wish we had more of a way to really share goals as a small squad besides waypoints.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Strike Anywhere posted:

I'm level 32. Just came back to game. Friend started and is level 7. How can he pick up jobs or quests that then I can see so that I can help him with them? Seems like they are all kept from me, even though if he's squad leader he accepts jobs?

What other ways can I help him level? I was just going to run around with him and blow through all ares missions/calls for help/job boards so he can get the xp rewards. My turrets make quick work of anything that pops for him. I just wish we had more of a way to really share goals as a small squad besides waypoints.

If he is the squad leader and takes a mission, you should also be getting the mission. If not, I don't know what you guys are doing that breaks it. Make sure nobody has an active mission before he accepts.

As for power leveling, you should ask Jonus. He is the most familiar with power leveling through Coral Forest.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Geekslinger posted:

The starting freebie one, is ok, but not great. You get enough freebie one uses from the slot machine, and the abundant glider pads that waiting till 25 isn't that bad at all.

Nalin posted:

They changed it so you can get your first LGV once you get to Trans Hub. I wouldn't bother re-rolling your character.

EDIT: I think the quest is called "Graduation". Look for it.

Thanks! I'll keep on trucking through and try to find the mission to get there a bit quicker.

Any chance I could get an invite to the Army for 'Dredra'? I'm unable to hit the Apply button in-game.

EDIT: Graduation is definitely the right mission. You get a P-1 LGV blueprint as the reward. I was level 13 and it was a priority mission taking me to Trans Hub.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 27, 2014

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Kessel posted:

See thread title. Also further support why this place needed about a year of development from launch to get to where it should have been at launch.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

As for power leveling, you should ask Jonus. He is the most familiar with power leveling through Coral Forest.

Following the tutorial junk will give you your first 10 levels or so easily, if this is for alternate frame just run around doing Crashed Thumpers / Instant LGVs in Copa until the XP starts sucking. Lv13+ you can grind Holmgang V in Sunken Harbor until Lv26~31. "Holmgang V" gives about 28k XP per run and requires someone Lv18 to initiate the mission, the runs can take 3 minutes to as little as 30 seconds, given the level cap in Copa is 24 you can actually run this indefinitely till lv40. The real trick is keeping the mission in queue so you can keep redoing it, it is a chore getting it back on the board. Two of the three objectives are talking to Mustang, so all party members who stay by the board (*cough* AFK) will receive full reward for the mission. Grab the Lv18 'Holmgang Core' from Sunken Harbor with the vouchers, it is extremely worth while and will outdo just about anything you'd get until Lv25.

Do not bother with missions at Shanty Town, they give roughly the same XP reward except every mission will have you wandering around 1000 meters in every direction per objective. (Shanty, Cerrado, Thump Dump, Northern Shores are basically ignored because of the leveling system.)

"A Lost Daughter" in Sertao at FOB Sagan, I forget the specific rewards but the quest seemed very static, talk to an NPC, kill some bandits, talk to NPC, done. Lv31 leader entry fee but lv26 for credit. Keep repeating this until your mind goes numb or until you hit Lv35, go to OCT at every opportunity you can unless your instance doesn't have enough players.

At Lv33 you can head to The Beach in Devil's Tusk to farm the world events if you're feeling lazy, sometimes the area hits a lull where nothing will spawn for a while so it is not the best XP but it will allow you to multitask with non-Firefall things. Arcporters/Goon Transit can bypass the mission required to enter Devil's Tusk.

At Lv35 teleport into BP and steal yourself an LGV, plow through chosen drop pods, and do any quick field events. Keep your LGV from despawning at all costs, it is both your mobility and your DPS. Avoid players, Chosen Thumpers and directly running into LGV mines. LGV Mine Events are fine for XP, disable the mine first then just plow everything down with your bike. A Tesla Rifle can be used to repair the bike. Repeat this until lv40.

Be warned, quickly going through the level scheme means you will out level areas faster than intended so by the end of it, you will be lv40 but have poo poo loot that is most likely still lv26.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 26, 2014

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Is the research system going to be less of a clusterfuck with this patch?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JonusRockweller posted:

Lv31 leader entry fee but lv26 for credit.

The patch made it so if you are within 5 levels of the job board, you can start the mission. I was starting job board missions at level 37 in Kanaloa Research Station (39-40).

Also, most people in Devil's Tusk run the Jungle Strife mission from Camp Jasper. Destroy 5 strifebringers and kill 8 Chosen, then move to the next location and do the same thing. Then run back. Kanaloa Research Station also has an identical mission, so if you want vouchers from there you can grind that one too.

AirborneNinja posted:

Is the research system going to be less of a clusterfuck with this patch?

Research is unchanged.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

The patch made it so if you are within 5 levels of the job board
Hah, that is going to make chunks of the map even more barren.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

JonusRockweller posted:

~a guide worthy of the OP~

Outstanding. Thank you. I had to cancel an active job I had and then my friend could pick up jobs and I would run them with him. Since my turrets are so OP for the area I could just drop them around, clean sweep any spawns with my weapons, and then he'd go turn in. Took him from 7-11 in an hour or two unfortunately due to the travel times like you mentioned. So we'll go to the areas you recommended next. Thanks again.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'll look into changing the OP to better assist new players to the game. It's been a while since launch so we really don't need all that "look at this new stuff!" information.

Oh, how about some updates from the PTS? We are finally getting vendors for our Campaign Tokens we've been earning by doing Devil's Tusk Warfront. The 3 vendors are located at Kanaloa Research Station and they give the following rewards:

Corporal Belle, "Specialty Goods":
-- Sells tier 3 Customization Component blueprints, new consumables, and a new LGV (has the boost that the Omnidyne-M briefly had).

Lt. Amanda Bloom, "Weapon and Ability Modules":
-- Sells level 40 Rare modules

Warrant Officer Liu, "Campaign Equipment":
-- Sells level 40 weapons. Unlike other vendors, these weapons will come with a prefix. All weapons are blue, but they all come with the chance of receiving a purple instead.

They are introducing a new system for earning Campaign Tokens. For every hardcore mission you do, you will receive a single Campaign Token. You can only receive one Campaign Token from each mission per day (resets 0:00 GMT, same as all the dailies). That means 7 possible tokens per day (the 6 original campaign missions, plus Operation Miru).

Broken Peninsula is adding a new event, although it is currently broken on the PTS. LGV health has been increased from 40k to 60k and I believe the missile LGV is now easier to use. Other than that things seem the same.

Triage and Heavy Armor are getting nerfed. Triage will give you a move speed increase until you revive a player, upon which it will switch the +run speed to a +damage reduction. It can no longer be used as a less potent Heavy Armor. And speaking of Heavy Armor, there is now a self-snare that is linked to the damage reduction. As you increase the damage reduction, your self-snare potency will increase. So the higher the damage reduction, the slower you move.

Brontodon King is also coming next patch. It is a mini-raid boss that wanders around Coral Forest. It drops some special loot, including a little brontodon pet.

I'll keep you guys informed as I learn more.

EDIT:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/pts-campaign-tokens.5800421/#post-84072821

Haha, the new designer in charge of itemization had no idea that Devil's Tusk Warfront was giving out Accord Campaign Tokens. He seems pretty upset and they are discussion what to do about the situation. Apparently they never intended for players to have hundreds of tokens right from the start. :D

Nalin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 26, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fishvilla posted:

Thanks! I'll keep on trucking through and try to find the mission to get there a bit quicker.

Any chance I could get an invite to the Army for 'Dredra'? I'm unable to hit the Apply button in-game.

Sorry I missed this. I wasn't in a place where I could log in and add you when I first saw this and I forgot about it until just now. I've sent an invite out.

In the future, if anybody needs an invite, check the army "Contacts" section. Every person in that section has the ability to invite people into the army, so if it shows that they are online (green dot), send them a whisper.

I've also updated the OP to be more newbie friendly. I've also put Jonus' leveling guide in the OP, with some modifications.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Starting to get to the point with my Rhino where the leveling is slow enough that investing in a gun is worthwhile. I've got a blue lvl24 necro HLMG with some green mods, would I be better off splurging on mods for it or standing pat for a few levels and just getting a brand new gun?

Was originally going to go broke on a new Explosive Rounds mod but I got a sweet one as a random reward :hellyeah:

Also I friggin love Turret Mode. Is that "no damage with a high enough ROF bug still around"? I plan on doing lots of +ROF mods for even more extreme exploding dakka

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I now have everything I need from Miru and I have to say groups are horrible. They weren't great before but now they're absolutely horrible. Like that one Miru I just had with a guy wanting to exploit a glitch but he needed someone else to do it. So he yelled that guys title over and over instead of using his name, his class or anything else while the rest of us just did it normally. Then of course we lost a Warfront raid. I've never outright lost one of those, there were some rough tries at times but half the group left a minute into the first thing in there over some stupid reason. Or that one Rhino who decided to use turret mode during a Baneclaw fight, you know, the one where you always want to move. Of course he died 20 seconds in and started making fun of other people and when I pointed out he maybe shouldn't have used turret mode he got all butthurt and started arguing about how someone has to do the DPS.

Honestly the game is heavily flawed but generally you used to have a community that was at least half decent, could point a gun and while not overly friendly they were at least better than this.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Morglon posted:

Or that one Rhino who decided to use turret mode during a Baneclaw fight, you know, the one where you always want to move. Of course he died 20 seconds in and started making fun of other people and when I pointed out he maybe shouldn't have used turret mode he got all butthurt and started arguing about how someone has to do the DPS.
I actually saw a goon use turret mode in Baneclaw and survive. He was balanced on top of one of the huge crystals. Not sure if it's still doable.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Turret mode during Baneclaw is a legit strategy, but you also have to have some support during it. You turret mode right in Baneclaw's face. A Biotech drops a healing generator in range. A Raptor tosses an empowered power field on top of you. You then pop heavy armor and alt-fire Baneclaw. He should drop to 69% health in seconds, which will cause him to shield himself and start a ring phase. Of course, you can't stay in turret mode at that point.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well point being if you die you're doing it wrong and you shouldn't be a dick about it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
How do you do the same quest over and over again? I'm trying to follow the leveling advice given, and I can't repeat quests easily, and sometimes those quests don't even appear.

• Locked thread