Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love it when people make these fangames but over-mechanicalize everything and don't keep any of the tone of the original property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love it when people make these fangames but over-mechanicalize everything and don't keep any of the tone of the original property.

To be fair "making an over-complicated fangame that misses the point" is like a rite of elfgaming passage. I'm willing to bet that a fair number of people posting here have done something similar in the past. The world of indie RPG design is littered with homebrew Final Fantasy tabletop games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair "making an over-complicated fangame that misses the point" is like a rite of elfgaming passage. I'm willing to bet that a fair number of people posting here have done something similar in the past. The world of indie RPG design is littered with homebrew Final Fantasy tabletop games.

Don't I know that. Still, a lot of it comes from a lack of realization that mechanics actually do effect tone. Lots of fan game makers don't seem to get that. Hell, lots of professional game makers don't seem to get that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I never have, because I've never finished a project. :smug:

:smith:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Same.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kai Tave posted:

Mine wasn't Final Fantasy, it was Persona! Except I had never heard of Persona, I just thought the idea of teen students fighting monsters was radical.

I'd also never played an RPG "right" before, so it had a bunch of weird rules that were half-based on video games. Everyone had a special gun that could be loaded with different kinds of elemental ammunition represented by different colored dice, and if you used certain combinations you'd get bonuses.

...This is making me wonder if I have that notebook anywhere.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of... I just started reading the Mistborn series. Has anyone tried out the rpg? Trying to decide whether or not to add it to my Christmas list.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's on 1d4chan, which means it's a product of 4chan's /tg/ board, who are notorious for starting up ambitious, mostly-idiotic projects and then getting burned out incredibly quickly on them before really finishing anything.

Last time I saw one, it was an attempt to codify Dragonball Z style super-martial-arts-action into a strict, class-based system that involved point buy through power levels and a lot of arguing about the difference between physical damage and ki energy damage. And somewhere I have a .txt file featuring the worst Adventure Time RPG ever made, using (once again) a strict, class-based system and over 50% of it is just spell lists.

I think they also tried converting Dark Heresy into a Transformers game, too, although I might be mixing up my WH40K properties there.

If there's anything that they do even worse, it's settings, because with settings they can't just rip mechanics out of 3.5 and call it a day.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
About the only thing I liked from the /tg/ board was the Zelda RPG, and I haven't checked that out in a long time so I assume they hosed it up like they always do.

Fuego Fish posted:

If there's anything that they do even worse, it's settings, because with settings they can't just rip mechanics out of 3.5 and call it a day.

Ugh the universal setting was the wooooorst.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Unified_campaign_setting

2nd sentence of the article:

quote:

The setting as a whole receives considerable criticism as "furry" due to the prevalence of beast races.

e:
Everoc

Political Regions
Corgyn'Bre
Dwarven Lordships
-Diadem Vosterus
-Blodsvargen

Geographic Regions
Blodsvargen
Corgyn'Bre
Diadem Vosterus

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ryoshi posted:

Mine wasn't Final Fantasy, it was Persona! Except I had never heard of Persona, I just thought the idea of teen students fighting monsters was radical.

I'd also never played an RPG "right" before, so it had a bunch of weird rules that were half-based on video games. Everyone had a special gun that could be loaded with different kinds of elemental ammunition represented by different colored dice, and if you used certain combinations you'd get bonuses.

...This is making me wonder if I have that notebook anywhere.

Actually do this because that sounds kind of cool.

Fuego Fish posted:

It's on 1d4chan, which means it's a product of 4chan's /tg/ board, who are notorious for starting up ambitious, mostly-idiotic projects and then getting burned out incredibly quickly on them before really finishing anything.

Again, I think you've just described RPG homebrew as a whole.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking of... I just started reading the Mistborn series. Has anyone tried out the rpg? Trying to decide whether or not to add it to my Christmas list.

I've run it a time or two, it's good but has some mechanical oddness. Definitely worth a buy if you really like the series, as it was made with extensive assistance from the author to make sure the magic and setting are book accurate.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Aw dammit man I really wanted to talk about how people play the same system for decades and now we are on to homebrew insanity

Wait--I BET THE TWO CAN WORK TOGETHER

I remember the blatant Vampire live-action knock-off* I played at Gen-Con 1997, "Society in Shadow." Despite being a game whose primary innovation and reason to exist was "the use of drawing a randomly-colored marble out of a back for conflict resolution," the game had apparently been going on for years and was run at dozens of other conventions, all because these people apparently did not want to accept that maybe they should just be playing Vampire instead.

I admit I almost did not post this, but then I found that they are STILL AROUND IN 2014 and drat if their webpage is not named for the fact that you draw a marble out of a bag for conflict resolution. You know what, I am starting to think I missed the boat by not becoming one of these people in 1997

*well, calling it a blatant knock-off when someone who literally just copied and pasted Vampire is a topic of discussion seems a little unfair, at least they just took the same ideas and rewrote the game instead

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Engine Heart and Chapter Master came from /tg/ and they are pretty good.

However both projects were driven primarily by one author (programmer in the case of Chapter Master) rather than being crowd sourced.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Say what you will about the mario RPG

quote:

Abilities: Bomb - For breaking down walls or just making an explosive impression, a Bob-omb may self-detonate at-will for a number of times per day equal to her Coolness rating. The force of her explosion is equal to her Power rating. She must recuperate for a turn after exploding.

is pretty hilarious.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

Aw dammit man I really wanted to talk about how people play the same system for decades and now we are on to homebrew insanity

Wait--I BET THE TWO CAN WORK TOGETHER

I remember the blatant Vampire live-action knock-off* I played at Gen-Con 1997, "Society in Shadow." Despite being a game whose primary innovation and reason to exist was "the use of drawing a randomly-colored marble out of a back for conflict resolution," the game had apparently been going on for years and was run at dozens of other conventions, all because these people apparently did not want to accept that maybe they should just be playing Vampire instead.

I admit I almost did not post this, but then I found that they are STILL AROUND IN 2014 and drat if their webpage is not named for the fact that you draw a marble out of a bag for conflict resolution. You know what, I am starting to think I missed the boat by not becoming one of these people in 1997

"How can I make rolling 1d6 seem more interesting, hmm, I know."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kai Tave posted:

I still have kicking around in my computer a folder labeled "Mem Key Backup (10-15-05)" that is chock full of old RPG conversions and notes and poo poo. Every once in a while I peek in at to see what a dumbass I was as a 20 year old. :v:

The biggest folder is my conversion of various Gundam OYW-0083 (+Wing) to BESM. And its all terrible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kellsterik posted:

Corgyn'Bre

Oh yeah, and the fuckers stole my corgis :argh:

Nothing quite cheers me up like seeing people repurpose the Zybourne Clock material for their own devices. It's sort of like being partially responsible for a new mythology, which is cool even if that mythology's theme is "failure".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fuego Fish posted:

Last time I saw one, it was an attempt to codify Dragonball Z style super-martial-arts-action into a strict, class-based system that involved point buy through power levels and a lot of arguing about the difference between physical damage and ki energy damage. And somewhere I have a .txt file featuring the worst Adventure Time RPG ever made, using (once again) a strict, class-based system and over 50% of it is just spell lists.

I think they also tried converting Dark Heresy into a Transformers game, too, although I might be mixing up my WH40K properties there.

Christ. I worked with those people on something, once, an idea for a sort of Drakengard-inspired game called Murder about insanely powerful, self-destructive people with demonic pacts. For our first draft, they basically got me to do all the work then played Ideas Guy a ton until I just said gently caress it and left to work on it myself. I eventually ended up abandoning the project, but I actually think PBtA could work well for it, with the much more freeform nature of things and the whole 'fail forward/succeed with self-destructive consequences' schtick. Someday I'll give it another stab.

Also, never go near the AdEva community. Those guys are just psychos. I've run two AdEva campaigns, both of which were a ton of fun, but they succeeded in spite of the mechanics, not because of, and I spent time hanging out with the community for that game on IRC and they are nuts as hell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Engine Heart and Chapter Master came from /tg/ and they are pretty good.

However both projects were driven primarily by one author (programmer in the case of Chapter Master) rather than being crowd sourced.

Well, that's probably because, without clear direction, a creative work being made by many different people will likely be killed by compromise. Hell, even in works with one person it's important to make sure you have clear objectives for the work. I know I make sure to do so before I start a project I never finish.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've still got notes around for a Star Wars cinematic unisystem conversion, but it was mostly pretty basic. Like "Lightsabers can be used with getting medieval at -4, or you can buy Wildcard: Lightsabers without a penalty."

Also "Dude, no I'm no going to mechanically codify falling to the dark side." as a response to a potential player asking about Dark Side drama points vs. Light side drama points.

(Mostly as a reaction to "Every version in every game that had been out at the time was "Collect evil points, get enough, lose character.)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 26, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Princess: The Hopeful.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
What about a system where characters collect evil points, and if they get too many, they become the new villain and their player becomes the new GM. The previous GM has to rejoin the party and be a good guy (either through a new character or a heel-face turn), working towards vanquishing this new foe with the rest of them. At least until someone else gets too many evil points and the whole thing happens again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've just started getting into games that are not D20 based, I was wondering what you guys would recommend in the indie world to check out.

Games I already know of:

FATE
PDQ
Mouse Guard
Fiasco
Dungeon World

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
*World games are currently very popular in the indie scene right now. The original is Apocalypse World, and Monster Hearts is generally regarded as the best * World game out there. Dungeon World is also notable and very popular.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Fuego Fish posted:

What about a system where characters collect evil points, and if they get too many, they become the new villain and their player becomes the new GM. The previous GM has to rejoin the party and be a good guy (either through a new character or a heel-face turn), working towards vanquishing this new foe with the rest of them. At least until someone else gets too many evil points and the whole thing happens again.

Man based on my experience that would be the biggest incentive for my players to play shining white hat paladins ever. So much GMing anxiety.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

unseenlibrarian posted:

Man based on my experience that would be the biggest incentive for my players to play shining white hat paladins ever. So much GMing anxiety.
Yeah, that was my first thought, too. Maybe not all players, but the majority of people I've played with had no intention of ever doing any GMing.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

bowmore posted:

I've just started getting into games that are not D20 based, I was wondering what you guys would recommend in the indie world to check out.

Games I already know of:

FATE
PDQ
Mouse Guard
Fiasco
Dungeon World

I'm rather fond of some of the Cortex+ games. Marvel Heroic is lot of fun for superheroes, and Leverage is a really well done heist game.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Swords Without Master is my current favorite recommendation for indie RPGs not enough people are playing. It's basically completely brilliant. There's too much to really go into without writing a full-on review, but the way it handles dice, the way each phase of the game is its own slight tweak on the basic flow of the game (passing a pair of dice between the players and narrating according to the dice rolls) to get exactly the kind of story desired at that point in time. The way the game keeps the random element of dice but drifts away from the success/failure dichotomy to be more about the way something is narrated. The Motif cards are a better version of Primetime Adventures' Fan-Mail mechanics because you're not just giving people points for saying cool stuff, you're writing down exactly what you thought was cool about their narration and this later gets reincorporated both organically and mechanically (Things written as motifs are generally seen as signals meaning "let's do more stuff with that" by the other players but they're also essential to how the end-of-session mechanics work)

NB: this game works best the less you rely on traditional RPG instincts and more on improv and creative writing instincts.

Tulpa fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 26, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Miniature market really doesn't want me to have any money.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Night10194 posted:

Also, never go near the AdEva community. Those guys are just psychos. I've run two AdEva campaigns, both of which were a ton of fun, but they succeeded in spite of the mechanics, not because of, and I spent time hanging out with the community for that game on IRC and they are nuts as hell.

Everyone I hear talk about AdEva (including the guy who GM'd my game of it) has said this exact same thing; the rules are poo poo and the community is nuts. But something about that system makes for interesting games.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Last night I was thinking about how similar Monsterhearts is to some of Evangelion's themes; I think you could probably do something amazing with that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jedi425 posted:

Everyone I hear talk about AdEva (including the guy who GM'd my game of it) has said this exact same thing; the rules are poo poo and the community is nuts. But something about that system makes for interesting games.

It's because with the right group of players, you get an interesting horror character study. As someone said, it's a lot like Monsterhearts; the relationships are every bit (or more) important than the robots and the fighting. The robots are just there to add extra stress and to slowly eat away at the PCs' ego barriers so that they find the boundary between self and others collapsing as time goes.

Naturally, AdEva removed most of its Ego Barrier rules in the last 'update' I saw. It's not like one of my pilots Tanging produced one of the best sessions I've ever run with that player, no sir.

Oh, and if you get the *wrong* group you end up with creepy :reddit: poo poo. The one time I joined a game run by the normal IRC community, I ran smack dab into that and just quit, and the one time I had a player join a game that wasn't a personal friend I knew in person, I had to kick him out for the same.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2014

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interesting discussion Sionak!

I am pretty stoked to talk back and forth on Gumshoe. There's not a lot of discussion about it here or about Cthulhu games in general.

quote:

Re: Mechanics to inspire player fear/tension

This is a really neat idea for building player tension. It reminds me of Wraith the Oblivion or Better Angels where one player has to roleplay the personal antagonist of another player.

Even though I like this mechanic, the issue with Trail is that you could only use this mechanic when the player rolls Sanity. In my experience the number of skill rolls per game far exceeds the number of sanity rolls one would have to make in classic CoC.

Therefore, I prefer having the percentile skill roll system because there are more opportunities per game to build tensions by hiding player rolls as I described previously.

I get that and I think it's a good point. In the game I ran, I was a little more shaky about keeping track of Stability vs Sanity and so, even though I love that approach, it didn't really come up. While I like the personalized nature of that kind of sanity effect, especially compared with a random table, it also introduces a break into the action or the tension while you briefly exile the player in question and decide what their new condition is.

quote:

I’m going to strongly disagree with you there. After six hours of conference lecture, a short snack, five cups of coffee, and your nerves being shot because you have to give a the last talk at 9:30pm; you may not be able to speak coherent English or even drive, but you WILL be able to give that presentation blindfolded, upside-down and drunk. Seen plenty of professors and professionals three sheets to the wind who are able to speak coherently about the nuances of their subject and correct someone across the room for using a model disproven by the recent literature. In a similar fashion, a professional baseball pitcher is going to be able to through a fastball regardless of nerves, sleep deprivation or the inflammation in his everything. Granted the fastball might be poo poo, but it will still be orders of magnitude more effective than a layman, in general.

That is mastery of a subject. An expert will always be better than a layman in his field of study. In a percentile system, sleep deprivation and everything else equates to stacked penalties of increasing magnitude. An expert with a skill of 70-60% still has a good chance to successfully make the roll with penalties compared to a layman with a base skill of 20%.

The problem I see with Trail skill spends is that that a player can go overboard on expenditures of skills in a single scene and be hobbled for the rest of the scenario in a way that doesn't reflect the character’s knowledge or mastery of his skills on paper.

Granted, I am proposing that skill checks have more verisimilitude; and I prefer that over keeping a system simple, but that is what I prefer.

Sure. The following is exactly right, though - it really is mostly physical skills (Athletics, Fleeing, Shooting, etc) - that can have their pool exhausted. Someone with a Rating of 2 in Anthropology and 0 points currently is still world class, but they may not get the cool close-up.

inklesspen posted:

My understanding is that "my Anthropology skill pool drops to 0" doesn't specifically reflect "I'm worn out and can't remember the cult symbols of Nyarlathotep's servitors" but rather "I've had enough screentime using this skill, time to let something else have the spotlight". Remember, even if you spend all your points from Anthropology, you can still acquire any clue that can be acquired with that skill; you just lose the ability to spend points for special bonuses.

One of the things that really helped me get my head around Investigative spends was a panel that Robin Laws and Kenneth Hite did. They pointed out that any player who is spending investigative points is asking for permission to be awesome in that scene - and that you as GM should always respond, "permission granted!" So the zero point spend keeps the plot moving; the one point spend gives them some cool details and/or lead-ins to future clues, and the two-point spend should give them something immediately useful.

quote:

I fully agree the degree of detail vs obscurity you give as a GM totally should completely depend on how familiar your players are with the Mythos.

Generally I've had players who have read a great deal of Lovecraft; or more importantly, have played a bunch of CoC scenarios and know how to deduce the identity of a book monster from a handful of details. Ozone smell? Oh that’s a Dimensional Shambler. Something that flies? Could be a Shantank, Nightgaunt or more rarely a Shan. In a graveyard? By the sea? Ghoul or Deep One respectively. How many CoC adventures set in a forest DON’T have Shub-Niggurath or a Black Goat make an appearance?

This is why I usually picked more obscure monsters (The Unspeakable Oath was great for this) made my own, or tried to present book monsters in a nonstandard way. One of my more successful adventures was when I pitted the players against Russian mobster antagonists. Creepy atmosphere, standard “your friend is deeeeeaaaaaaad” set up and some occult paraphernalia thrown about, but just humans behind the horror. The players admitted afterwards they were just waiting for the other Mythos shoe to drop…but it never did, which created satisfying tension.

I think that's one of the tricks of running multiple CoC games, especially with the same group. It is a fun challenge to make the familiar fresh again - Kenneth Hite has a neat series of articles with Pelgrane offering some tweaks to the now-established Mythos creatures. (It's part of the Ken Writes About Stuff series). For instance, making deep ones part dolphin and insuring that your players never look at Flipper quite the same way again..

And by the by, I've since listened to the second Final Revelation RPPR game. That was kind of a strange game in that at least as of the end, they still didn't know the real occult cause or the exact nature of the mythos involvement. I think that's a very cool way to go sometimes too - there's the temptation as keeper to gleefully explain what was really/ going on afterwards, but some stories work better by remaining mysteries.

By the by, you first started out talking about Bookhounds of London - I'm not sure if you are aware, but a sort of companion book is coming from Robin Laws, called Dreamhounds of Paris. It's about the surrealist painters discovering the dreamlands - and then discovering that they can actually reshape the dreamlands. It sounds very high concept and awesome to me.

edit: I do not get paid for plugging KH and RL's stuff, I swear.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Quick question regarding Gumshoe--if you're writing up a mystery (or conspiracy, in the case of Night's Black Agents) freehand, how do you confirm that your spine actually makes logical sense and isn't something you'd see in a badly written adventure game? I'm currently writing something up off and on for NBA, and am desperately uncertain as to whether or not what I've got written down regarding the vampires' abilities and conspiracy is actually something traceable without divine intervention.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Run it by your friendly neighborhood TG forum?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Running it past other people seems reasonable.

Another suggestion from the same panel - this one from Gareth Rider-Hanrahan - was to picture the ideal, simplest way that the players could trace all the clues and figure out the conspiracy. Then, since it's players we're talking about, go back and make sure that there's a bunch of extra connections between the different clue "nodes". So, if the players get fixated on a particular lead it will still eventually lead to the deeper mysteries (or the top of the conspyramid, in the case of NBA).

You can also kinda tell from your players when it comes to actually running stuff - if they're lost it tends to be obvious. You can either take a heavier hand with the clues at that point or try to socratically remind them of the leads they have found and see if anything clicks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Back around 2000-2001 I spent an inordinate amount of time and effort creating an Avengers RPG- Steed and Peel, mind you, not Marvel. I tried to keep it light but still got bogged down in things like weapon ranges and area of effect damage and concealment modifiers. And also my confused attempt at a unified continuity to encompass the series, the movie (which I still love), and the New Avengers. Got the rules mostly complete but never play tested.

When the Buffy RPG came out it made me rethink how games have to be designed. So much extraneous tactical bullshit cut out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Out of curiosity, what would people say are the best examples of setting books? Ones that are either light on mechanics or lack them entirely, just with the setting information laid out in an interesting, readable way. Any setting books with premade adventures incorporated as well would be pretty nice.

No limits on system or anything, I'll even take agnostic. I know that GURPS books are generally considered to be the cream of the crop, but I was honestly looking for something that was less about a genre and more about a specific world. Most GURPS books tend to be a bit broad in scope, which isn't a bad thing but it's not what I'm looking for here.

Please nobody suggest any Forgotten Realms books because I plan on reading this stuff and I'd rather not hate myself for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I know it's not exactly what you're after, but my favorite thing is when RPG books build the mechanics based on the setting; stuff like Apocalypse World's rules, which instill the crazy, weird and uncontrolled setting and feel throughout every bit.

I reckon Dungeon World does this masterfully, assuming the setting you're emulating is "playing D&D exactly as your five-year old self wanted it to be" (and I bloody love it!).

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread