Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Periodiko posted:

That's literally a major foundation of Gandhi's non-violence strategy - you walk unarmed towards the men with truncheons and get your skull cracked open, and goad the regime into acting with naked brutality towards a pacifist target. You can argue about the strategy's effectiveness or morality, but Gandhi is one of the great strategists of civil disobedience and protest in the 20th century.

It's really not controversial that a major component of protest strategy is drawing a disproportionate response from local authorities in an effort to raise the stakes of the issue and publicize it.

That's exactly why it's effective for peaceful protesters to do "stupid" things like march in front of and yell at armed militarized police. Getting the police to tear gas journalists and peaceful protests is kind of the point, particularly when what they're doing to provoke that response is reasonable and within their rights.

There was plenty of violent resistance in India alongside Gandhi's non-violence movement, and even he said if you don't have the courage or moral conviction required for confrontational non-violent protest that violence was preferable to non-violence born from fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

William T. Hornaday posted:

Holy poo poo, police on the ground are actually responding to things.

Putting the car out with a fire extinguisher.

You can tell somebody was like "hey can we not let cars burn to a cinder-whitened frame? That'd be great, thanks."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Man Whore posted:

can I get some more context for this photo?

NYTimes photo referencing the increased Guard presence in Ferguson area.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Equine Don posted:

Patrolling the neighborhoods.

This is completely accurate. Went out for food last night and saw cops from all the tiny noco municipalities just doing high speed laps around their territory.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

SedanChair posted:

You can tell somebody was like "hey can we not let cars burn to a cinder-whitened frame? That'd be great, thanks."

The police helicopter apparently was there with its spotlight on them the whole time.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is this history we're witnessing or is it something that will be forgotten in a few months? CNN is certainly making it sound like something HUGE is going down.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Quite to the contrary. Every peaceful civil disobedience movement had a violent counterpart. You have one side that goes "we just want rights, we're not hurting anybody" and another side that goes "we want rights and we'll loving kill you all if we don't get it." The carrot and the stick. People are more likely to negotiate with the former when the alternative is the latter.

But then why are people acting like the looters/arsonists and the peaceful protestors in Ferguson are the same people?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Foma posted:

If your goal is to be an rear end in a top hat or cause other people pain you lose, because you aren't the group humanity will have empathy for.

And yet Wilson and Zimmerman got hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations. Huh. Next you'll start telling me about how those jerks Carmichael and Malcolm X set back the cause of black rights :allears:.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
how do i bypass livestream's login requirement?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kit Walker posted:

Quite to the contrary. Every peaceful civil disobedience movement had a violent counterpart. You have one side that goes "we just want rights, we're not hurting anybody" and another side that goes "we want rights and we'll loving kill you all if we don't get it." The carrot and the stick. People are more likely to negotiate with the former when the alternative is the latter.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

There was plenty of violent resistance in India alongside Gandhi's non-violence movement, and even he said if you don't have the courage or moral conviction required for confrontational non-violent protest that violence was preferable to non-violence born from fear.

The problem is that needs to be distinguishable, and organized. Whats happening in Ferguson is not Malcolm X, or the Black Panthers at their height, it's just disorganized chaos.

Comparing the looting and arson of local businesses to black militancy at the height of the civil rights movement is deeply insulting to black militants. It's just stupid to say "oh these burning cars represent the proverbial stick to the protestor's carrot", because there's no direction or leadership. It's not just violence, it's stupid, directionless violence that actively undermines the activist cause.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 26, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ditocoaf posted:

But then why are people acting like the looters/arsonists and the peaceful protestors in Ferguson are the same people?

To discredit the entire protest?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
this stldagger fellow is cruisin for a bruisin

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
It's worth noting that this debate started because Foma said blocking a street and inconveniencing folks would just make them hate you and/or your cause. Now they're talking about rioters and looters, I guess.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

420DD Butts posted:

That comes back to my original point: Talk all you want about how protest should be nonviolent, it's meaningless if the existence of looters and arsonists three blocks away automatically makes your protest count as violent.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Captain Mog posted:

Is this history we're witnessing or is it something that will be forgotten in a few months? CNN is certainly making it sound like something HUGE is going down.

It will be forgotten in two weeks tops.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Look, the problem is is that the non-violent protesters aren't being non-violent enough. Peacefully blocking a road? Well that's stopping other people's freedom of movement which is basically violence. Truly committed non-violent protestors should just stay home and watch TV or whatever - thus ensuring a completely non-violent protest and the changing of hearts and minds across America.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Like a hundred police officers protecting the vandalized car.

And smoke canisters unleashed. At no one really in particular.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Periodiko posted:

The problem is that needs to be distinguishable, and organized. Whats happening in Ferguson is not Malcolm X, or the Black Panthers at their height, it's just disorganized chaos.

Comparing the looting and arson of local businesses to black militancy at the height of the civil rights movement is deeply insulting to black militants. It's just stupid to say "oh these burning cars represent the proverbial stick to the protestor's carrot", because there's no direction or leadership. It's not just violence, it's stupid, directionless violence that actively undermines the activist cause.

I agree. Protestors should invest in firearms for their demonstrations. Then the police can join the "don't shoot" chanting.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Periodiko posted:

Comparing the looting and arson of local businesses to black militancy at the height of the civil rights movement is deeply insulting to black militants. It's just stupid to say "oh these burning cars represent the proverbial stick to the protestor's carrot", because there's no direction or leadership. It's not just violence, it's stupid, directionless violence.

Comparing looters to protestors is deeply ignorant. Also you're pretending race riots weren't occurring during the civil rights movements.

420DD Butts posted:

Yeah, anyone who falls for this sort of thinking would never legitimately support any form of protest in Ferguson.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

Everyone acting like this is some huge Missourian uprising is a loving moron. The initial poo poo that happened months ago was contained to a 1x1 mile area in North County and last night was contained to a 4x4 mile area. The majority of the people in the state do not give a poo poo about any of this, are not having their lives changed by any of this, and basically do not care at all. North County is already thought of as a pile of poo poo and is actively avoided by most people who live in the area. The media is trying to make it sound like St. Louis is burning, most people who live here are just going about their business as usual.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

420DD Butts posted:

Look, I would have supported you in your battle against rape but you had to go and yell about it, and that really bothered me. I guess we'll never have change if you can't just learn to never inconvenience me.

:sigh:

If you can't see the difference between physical violence towards others and destruction of property compared to beeing rightfully upset and angry about rape your metamorphosis to shitlord is complete.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Seams posted:

Peacefully blocking a road? Well that's stopping other people's freedom of movement which is basically violence.

Don't be a moron.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

People getting gassed on the stldagger stream

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's stupid directionless violence because groups like the Black Panthers have become culturally taboo because of bullshit "colorblind", let's just get along(and ignore the oppression that still exists) style anti-racism taking the forefront among the average person. People tell black people not to form groups like that because they should be peacefully protesting and then complain that violence is unfocused because there's no groups like that around. It's trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wilson should have gone to trial. We would still be able to hear both sides of the story.

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Melthir posted:

If you can't see the difference between physical violence towards others and destruction of property compared to beeing rightfully upset and angry about rape your metamorphosis to shitlord is complete.

They were talking about protesters blocking a highway, you idiot.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Ditocoaf posted:

A lot of this is media driven. They focus on the people burning poo poo and looting disproportionately to people being peaceful and chanting, because the former is more exciting television than the latter

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow tear gas can hit a moving car

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Equine Don posted:

It will be forgotten in two weeks tops.

I really really hope you're wrong.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's stupid directionless violence because groups like the Black Panthers have become culturally taboo because of bullshit "colorblind", let's just get along(and ignore the oppression that still exists) style anti-racism taking the forefront among the average person. People tell black people not to form groups like that because they should be peacefully protesting and then complain that violence is unfocused because there's no groups like that around. It's trying to have your cake and eat it too.

The nineties terrified people. They were afraid of Arsenio Hall.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Seams posted:

Look, the problem is is that the non-violent protesters aren't being non-violent enough. Peacefully blocking a road? Well that's stopping other people's freedom of movement which is basically violence. Truly committed non-violent protestors should just stay home and watch TV or whatever - thus ensuring a completely non-violent protest and the changing of hearts and minds across America.

If Foma is characterizing potentially illegal, but non-violent civil disobedience as violent protest or out of bounds than that's stupid, but the aimless violence is truly a major problem for the Ferguson civil rights protesters, and a major problem for the citizens of Ferguson. The argument that aimless looting and arson advances the cause is asinine, and I'm sure many or most of the non-violent protesters hate it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

If there had been no violence at all, this wouldn't have been on the agenda.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

dialectics posted:

It's worth noting that this debate started because Foma said blocking a street and inconveniencing folks would just make them hate you and/or your cause. Now they're talking about rioters and looters, I guess.

I was talking about both things blocking streets and rioting/looting. Doing things that turn people against you is bad for a protest movement, you want to be seen as the righteous and good. If you want to change things you need to bring people into your cause. Your goal is to get more people to empathize with your group and cause. Going out and blocking the highway doesn't bring people in.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

Having it happen at the same time just makes it look chaotic and schizophrenic. There's no real comparisons to smashing random businesses and Malcolm X, at any rate.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SedanChair posted:

The nineties terrified people. They were afraid of Arsenio Hall.

But I thought white people loved Arsenio? My worldview is shattered!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Tardcore posted:

I really really hope you're wrong.

The truth sucks.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Foma posted:

I was talking about both things blocking streets and rioting/looting. Doing things that turn people against you is bad for a protest movement, you want to be seen as the righteous and good. If you want to change things you need to bring people into your cause. Your goal is to get more people to empathize with your group and cause. Going out and blocking the highway doesn't bring people in.

Civil Rights era - never created inconvenience for anyone. You heard it here, folks.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Periodiko posted:

This exactly, you can argue that the reactions are justified but to argue that this is an effective strategy that is winning people over is laughably wrong.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

This is the best thing that can possibly come of the Michael Brown shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's stupid directionless violence because the people of Ferguson have lost and they know it. It's defeated violence. Everybody has been talking about "White people didn't riot after OJ," and all I can say is this: People didn't riot after OJ Simpson because they were surprised. People rioted after Darren Wilson because they weren't surprised. It's just rage because you have a black President who's powerless to do anything about state violence against your people, and you feel nothing is going to change and that Mike Brown died in vain. People aren't rioting for change, they're rioting because they don't expect change.

• Locked thread