Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

People tell black people not to form groups like that because they should be peacefully protesting and then complain that violence is unfocused because there's no groups like that around. It's trying to have your cake and eat it too.

That sounds like the perfect narrative if you want to keep black people oppressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Foma posted:

I was talking about both things blocking streets and rioting/looting. Doing things that turn people against you is bad for a protest movement,

Periodiko posted:

If Foma is characterizing potentially illegal, but non-violent civil disobedience as violent protest or out of bounds than that's stupid

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Protesters posing for a photo op.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

420DD Butts posted:

But I thought white people loved Arsenio? My worldview is shattered!

They loved him until he had Farrakhan on his show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violet_Sky posted:

Wilson should have gone to trial. We would still be able to hear both sides of the story.

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

Because dunn was dumb outright racist and said a bunch of really racist poo poo in jail and his facebook was full of racist stuff. zimmerman did a better job hiding it and the incident was "debatable". meanwhile, Dunn fired into a car with 4 teens in it in public place in front of like 12 witnesses.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Rah! posted:

A lot of cities have them in the middle of "normal" areas. Where is the city/county jail supposed to be located? An island surrounded by sharks?

An island is actually where Boston kept the homeless until the bridge to the island rotted out a month or two back.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

420DD Butts posted:

Civil Rights era - never created inconvenience for anyone. You heard it here, folks.

More than one person talking about people doing stuff like blocking streets is what made me ponder how posters like them would react during that era, but apparently the average middle class white family shared a phone line or something, which I'm not really sure is remotely a coherent thought at all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

Dunn was dumb enough to do it at a public gas station and his girlfriend didn't back him up on his lies.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Now they're telling the people on the sidewalk (?) that the assembly is unlawful.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/11/25/does-ferguson-show-that-cops-who-kill-get-off-too-easily

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Foma posted:

I was talking about both things blocking streets and rioting/looting. Doing things that turn people against you is bad for a protest movement, you want to be seen as the righteous and good. If you want to change things you need to bring people into your cause. Your goal is to get more people to empathize with your group and cause. Going out and blocking the highway doesn't bring people in.

Understood, but this point ignores that there were race riots and looting throughout the civil rights movement. Additionally, at a fundamental level, protest is about creating inconvenience; it's about disruption and disobedience. What I'm saying here is that I understand your argument but it's coming from a place of ignorance.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

im gay posted:

how do i bypass livestream's login requirement?

Chrome: Right-click, inspect element. Click on the login box and a div line should be highlighted. Right-click that line, select delete node.

e: This is the line to delete: <div class="livebox_overlay login_to_watch" style="display: block;"><div class="livebox_wrapper" style="min-width: 280px; margin-top: -308px; margin-left: -225px;">

snooman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 26, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Dunn was dumb enough to do it at a public gas station and his girlfriend didn't back him up on his lies.

He's not a cop and he left a bunch of surviving witnesses. At least now we know where the line you can't cross is.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Me and Periodiko while in agreement on some things are not in agreement with all things.

I think these due to updated police tactics and that people are uncontrollable protests are a net negative and do not accomplish anything. The effort should be made to register people to vote and take control of the systems of government the people living under them dislike. Because the goal is to win elections and change systems you need alliances and cohesion being a dick is antithetical to that. Dickish things include blocking interstates and setting fire to buildings.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

unlimited shrimp posted:

Ew, gross. Someone on the livestream is wearing an infowars jacket.

Jones is all over Ferguson, gotta expose the UN police force and Agenda 21.

http://www.infowars.com/live-coverage-ferguson-braces-for-further-chaos/

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
What were those cops saying on the Demo stream?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

snooman posted:

Chrome: Right-click, inspect element. Click on the login box and a div line should be highlighted. Right-click that line, select delete node.

e: This is the line to delete: <div class="livebox_overlay login_to_watch" style="display: block;"><div class="livebox_wrapper" style="min-width: 280px; margin-top: -308px; margin-left: -225px;">

Thanks, this is helpful.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

It's stupid directionless violence because the people of Ferguson have lost and they know it. It's defeated violence. Everybody has been talking about "White people didn't riot after OJ," and all I can say is this: People didn't riot after OJ Simpson because they were surprised. People rioted after Darren Wilson because they weren't surprised. It's just rage because you have a black President who's powerless to do anything about state violence against your people, and you feel nothing is going to change and that Mike Brown died in vain. People aren't rioting for change, they're rioting because they don't expect change.

I agree with this completely, and it's really understandable why it is happening. It's just that blocking traffic and burning buildings isn't going to make people stop and think, "hey maybe there is a reason for this" like some have been arguing the past couple pages.

Violet_Sky posted:

Wilson should have gone to trial. We would still be able to hear both sides of the story.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt"

It's monumentally easier to instill reasonable doubt when there are no witnesses.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Foma posted:

Me and Periodiko while in agreement on some things are not in agreement with all things.

I think these due to updated police tactics and that people are uncontrollable protests are a net negative and do not accomplish anything. The effort should be made to register people to vote and take control of the systems of government the people living under them dislike. Because the goal is to win elections and change systems you need alliances and cohesion being a dick is antithetical to that. Dickish things include blocking interstates and setting fire to buildings.

Good thing we still have the Voting Rights Act to help stop vote suppression against minority vot... oh, wait. Nevermind.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

dialectics posted:

Understood, but this point ignores that there were race riots and looting throughout the civil rights movement. Additionally, at a fundamental level, protest is about creating inconvenience; it's about disruption and disobedience. What I'm saying here is that I understand your argument but it's coming from a place of ignorance.

You can disagree with it, but I would take issue that I am coming from a place on ignorance. I've watched the GTO protests in Seattle fail, the Anti-War Protests fail, the Occupy Wall-Street protests fail and feel I've given it a decent amount of thought and research to form defendable opinions.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Jones is all over Ferguson, gotta expose the UN police force and Agenda 21.

http://www.infowars.com/live-coverage-ferguson-braces-for-further-chaos/

That 15 minutes back in August that Tim Pool spent trapped in a car with the Inforwars guy while cops showered the area with tear gas canisters was the finest 15 minutes of journalism in modern memory.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Foma posted:

Corruption and the political system actively hinders minorities influence.

Also the looters and the peaceful protesters are different people.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Good thing we still have the Voting Rights Act to help stop vote suppression against minority vot... oh, wait. Nevermind.

We do still have the Voting Rights Act, the Supreme Court only ruled against a section of it, but continue to be wrong, it is entertaining.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
only in D&D could the answer to systemic problems in society be 'phonebank' fuckin hell

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Job Truniht posted:

I agree. Protestors should invest in firearms for their demonstrations. Then the police can join the "don't shoot" chanting.

Worked for Bundy.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Foma posted:

You can disagree with it, but I would take issue that I am coming from a place on ignorance. I've watched the GTO protests in Seattle fail, the Anti-War Protests fail, the Occupy Wall-Street protests fail and feel I've given it a decent amount of thought and research to form defendable opinions.

You could say things such as early union protests and the Civil Rights era (and not just up until 1964) caused some inconvenience for more than zero people.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Does anybody have a good livestream link?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Foma posted:

We do still have the Voting Rights Act, the Supreme Court only ruled against a section of it, but continue to be wrong, it is entertaining.

Also voter suppression had basically no effect on races in 2008, 2010,2012, 2014.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a better stream than STLDagger? I don't give a poo poo about a party he was at 3 years ago.

Sistergodiva posted:

Again, anyone who conflates the two would not support any protest other than "stay at home and pray silently."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

paranoid randroid posted:

That 15 minutes back in August that Tim Pool spent trapped in a car with the Inforwars guy while cops showered the area with tear gas canisters was the finest 15 minutes of journalism in modern memory.

The Vice dude? I must've missed it.

Vaall posted:

Does anybody have a good livestream link?

http://new.livestream.com/watch

The top streams are all relevant, just refresh every so often.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Lotta cops pulling into that bank right now.

Edit: wait no its the walgreens

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

Corruption and the political system actively hinders minorities influence.

That is true the system does hinder minority influence. They have to walk uphill for change, sucks, isn't fair, isn't right, but isn't a barrier that can't be overcome.

The looters and the protesters are not differentiated, they all get lumped into the same group in the mind of the general American public (You have the step dad of Michael Brown screaming to the protesters BURN THIS poo poo DOWN and them cheering and repeating it) and a successful movement needs to have the support of the general public to be successful. Which is why protesting is not accomplishing anything positive it is preventing the cops from dealing with the riot and looters, it is intermingling the two groups in the mind of the average viewer, it isn't winning anyone over.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
lol asking cops questions like they're going to talk to you.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It's a tantrum. Mass hysteria. Anguish. Frustration. Fear. Panic. Why? The pain oin black culture is being blamed on the wrong reason...perceived white oppression. What will draw a disparate group of people together the most efficiently is a common enemy. Hitler unified Germany after their World War I problems and poverty on Jews. Blacks blame their self destruction on whites. So the more blacks have been pushing the wrong button of what has been rapidly lessening white oppression over the last 50 year with no results, the more hysterical the culture is getting. If you were burning up in an increasingly hot room and you were adjusting the wrong thermostat, you'd be getting hysterical too, no? Blaming whites for black cultural and economic paralysis has bore no results because whites, including white police, have not been the most dynamic problem in black communities for decades. A hedonistic , immediate gratification, cultural anarchy, bore of an obsession with materialism, racism, prejudice, sexism, deception, crime, drugs use, homophobia, infighting, and anti-semitism, to name a few, has become an increasing issue in black communities.

As long as blacks blame their very cohesive and unified cultural problems on the wrong issue, they are going to get no relief from their cultural pain. And as long as blacks flog the dead horse of white hate with no relief, the more panicked they're going to get. And in ratings starved and highly competitive media as a cheering squad, an insult and humiliation to our first amendment, you're going to get what we have now: the irrational mass hysteria of cutting off your neighborhood's nose to spite your community's face. [The photo of an innocent looking Michael Brown, considering his behavior right before his shooting, is blatantly vulgar and unAmerican propaganda, not unlike the Photoshopped version of a 14 year old Trayvon Martin, who was actually over 16 as he sat on top of Zimmerman banging the man's head into the pavement. I would like to see someone sue this modern motherf***ing race baiting press for "inciting to riot."]

What is happening in Furguson is the equivalent of being so panicked at the wrong thermostat for not lowering the heat, they are getting pissed off at it and throwing a tantrum...ripping the wrong thermostat out of the wall and jumping up and down on it.

Michael Brown's "street justice" of physically attacking an armed law enforcement officer, and continuing after being wounded, was really moreso authored by the racist hate of a white cop than resisting arrest. Wilson's description of the look on Browns face as he charged him is chilling. I certainly would not wanted to have faced that man. But in a faith based culture, objectivity is lost, if in fact it ever existed. Self reflection is unheard of. I can't get it up tonight so there's gotta be a white man behind this. Because my momma and my minister have told me that's the way the world works.

Meanwhile the real thermostat stays set.

And wrong thermostats will be blamed.

And the heat in the room will keep going up.

Waiting for the next tantrum.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Foma posted:

it isn't winning anyone over.

Who in particular do you think the protestors are trying to win over, and what would those won-over people to do?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Foma posted:

That is true the system does hinder minority influence. They have to walk uphill for change, sucks, isn't fair, isn't right, but isn't a barrier that can't be overcome.

How long will it take to overcome?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Foma posted:

We have a gutted version of it that's only a voting rights act by name anymore. The section they ruled against was the main tool that allowed it to be enforced.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Man, I'd love to have seen the briefing the Guard dudes got. No way they pulled a unit from the area, would've been too many locals refusing to show up in protest.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-sr-s-church-burned-ferguson-n255961

Brown's father's church was set on fire. You know whose calling card that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey guys, don't get me wrong, I love civil disobedience as much as the next guy, but could you maybe get rid of the "disobedience" part? Nobody likes disobedient citizens.

• Locked thread