Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Man, I'd love to have seen the briefing the Guard dudes got. No way they pulled a unit from the area, would've been too many locals refusing to show up in protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-sr-s-church-burned-ferguson-n255961

Brown's father's church was set on fire. You know whose calling card that is.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey guys, don't get me wrong, I love civil disobedience as much as the next guy, but could you maybe get rid of the "disobedience" part? Nobody likes disobedient citizens.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zen death robot posted:

InfoWars Livestreamer is gonna find out why the hell there's a ton a SWAT at a Walgreen's :patriot:

Those sweet deals coming Thursday night, that's why.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
P... Protesters? :ohdear:

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Foma posted:

That is true the system does hinder minority influence. They have to walk uphill for change, sucks, isn't fair, isn't right, but isn't a barrier that can't be overcome.

The looters and the protesters are not differentiated, they all get lumped into the same group in the mind of the general American public (You have the step dad of Michael Brown screaming to the protesters BURN THIS poo poo DOWN and them cheering and repeating it) and a successful movement needs to have the support of the general public to be successful. Which is why protesting is not accomplishing anything positive it is preventing the cops from dealing with the riot and looters, it is intermingling the two groups in the mind of the average viewer, it isn't winning anyone over.

I'd love to see your reaction to watching a corrupt & racist system let the killer of your child off of the hook.

"Aw shucks! That's too bad. Everyone get together and clasp hands so we can change the system with our positive energy! :) "

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Teaching children half assed versions of Ghandi's and MLK's stories is the worst thing that ever happened to civil unrest.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

unlimited shrimp posted:

P... Protesters? :ohdear:

The loving KKK, in case you really didn't understand.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jesus loving christ, they're talking about colloidal silver and Jones' Male Enhancement Serum now.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Hey guys, don't get me wrong, I love civil disobedience as much as the next guy, but could you maybe get rid of the "disobedience" part? Nobody likes disobedient citizens.

You do realize civil disobedience does not include torching random businesses?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

The loving KKK, in case you really didn't understand.

:colbert:

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

The Ender posted:

I'd love to see your reaction to watching a corrupt & racist system let the killer of your child off of the hook.

"Aw shucks! That's too bad. Everyone get together and clasp hands so we can change the system with our positive energy! :) "

Also, please stay out of the street.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tsa posted:

You do realize civil disobedience does not include torching random businesses?

It's probably gonna loving include inconveniencing some people, though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Ender posted:

Just wait till the next election, we'll fix it all then!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

dialectics posted:

Understood, but this point ignores that there were race riots and looting throughout the civil rights movement. Additionally, at a fundamental level, protest is about creating inconvenience; it's about disruption and disobedience. What I'm saying here is that I understand your argument but it's coming from a place of ignorance.

To be fair, there's an interesting possibility that the reason such protest methods worked in the 60's is because of how differently media worked back then. Nowadays, the immediacy of information transmittal poses a very important change in how media works, which means the way we all absorb, process, and understand information has to be different. There might be something to the idea that civil disobedience necessarily has to adapt in some way to achieve the desired effect.

You know what I'm saying?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Keg posted:

It's a tantrum. Mass hysteria. Anguish. Frustration. Fear. Panic. Why? The pain oin black culture is being blamed on the wrong reason...perceived white oppression. What will draw a disparate group of people together the most efficiently is a common enemy. Hitler unified Germany after their World War I problems and poverty on Jews. Blacks blame their self destruction on whites. So the more blacks have been pushing the wrong button of what has been rapidly lessening white oppression over the last 50 year with no results, the more hysterical the culture is getting. If you were burning up in an increasingly hot room and you were adjusting the wrong thermostat, you'd be getting hysterical too, no? Blaming whites for black cultural and economic paralysis has bore no results because whites, including white police, have not been the most dynamic problem in black communities for decades. A hedonistic , immediate gratification, cultural anarchy, bore of an obsession with materialism, racism, prejudice, sexism, deception, crime, drugs use, homophobia, infighting, and anti-semitism, to name a few, has become an increasing issue in black communities.

As long as blacks blame their very cohesive and unified cultural problems on the wrong issue, they are going to get no relief from their cultural pain. And as long as blacks flog the dead horse of white hate with no relief, the more panicked they're going to get. And in ratings starved and highly competitive media as a cheering squad, an insult and humiliation to our first amendment, you're going to get what we have now: the irrational mass hysteria of cutting off your neighborhood's nose to spite your community's face. [The photo of an innocent looking Michael Brown, considering his behavior right before his shooting, is blatantly vulgar and unAmerican propaganda, not unlike the Photoshopped version of a 14 year old Trayvon Martin, who was actually over 16 as he sat on top of Zimmerman banging the man's head into the pavement. I would like to see someone sue this modern motherf***ing race baiting press for "inciting to riot."]

What is happening in Furguson is the equivalent of being so panicked at the wrong thermostat for not lowering the heat, they are getting pissed off at it and throwing a tantrum...ripping the wrong thermostat out of the wall and jumping up and down on it.

Michael Brown's "street justice" of physically attacking an armed law enforcement officer, and continuing after being wounded, was really moreso authored by the racist hate of a white cop than resisting arrest. Wilson's description of the look on Browns face as he charged him is chilling. I certainly would not wanted to have faced that man. But in a faith based culture, objectivity is lost, if in fact it ever existed. Self reflection is unheard of. I can't get it up tonight so there's gotta be a white man behind this. Because my momma and my minister have told me that's the way the world works.

Meanwhile the real thermostat stays set.

And wrong thermostats will be blamed.

And the heat in the room will keep going up.

Waiting for the next tantrum.

:spooky:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

The Ender posted:

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Can someone explain what this racist means by 'manufactured responsibility'? https://twitter.com/davidoldfieldau/status/537440153053036544

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

tsa posted:

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

-MLK, guy who got shot in his loving head and had much of his work undone over the past few years

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Pomp posted:

It's probably gonna loving include inconveniencing some people, though.

There's no problem with inconveniencing people if it wins more over to your cause.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

tsa posted:

"Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."

???!!!

If we're just throwing snippets of MLK speeches out in here, there's also what he said about moderate whites too.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Lemma posted:

To be fair, there's an interesting possibility that the reason such protest methods worked in the 60's is because of how differently media worked back then. Nowadays, the immediacy of information transmittal poses a very important change in how media works, which means the way we all absorb, process, and understand information has to be different. There might be something to the idea that civil disobedience necessarily has to adapt in some way to achieve the desired effect.

You know what I'm saying?

Agreed. I think it's pretty clear that protests aren't as effective anymore for some of the reasons you've cited, and for others you haven't. General complacency is probably one. Though obviously what you're saying is way different than Foma who's talking about how inconveniencing people is bad. Honestly, I'm not really sure what Foma is saying.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

Black Metalheads get all of the blame, as always.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

KingEup posted:

Can someone explain what this racist means by 'manufactured responsibility'? https://twitter.com/davidoldfieldau/status/537440153053036544
White people aren't responsible for, and shouldn't feel guilty about, systemic racism/anti-blackness.

It simply appeared out of nowhere one day like the alien ships in Independence Day.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KingEup posted:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
"I don't care if I walk on your feet but I don't want you to touch me" -STLDagger

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

KingEup posted:

Liberal Guilt

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Keg posted:

It's a tantrum. Mass hysteria. Anguish. Frustration. Fear. Panic. Why? The pain oin black culture is being blamed on the wrong reason...perceived white oppression. What will draw a disparate group of people together the most efficiently is a common enemy. Hitler unified Germany after their World War I problems and poverty on Jews. Blacks blame their self destruction on whites. So the more blacks have been pushing the wrong button of what has been rapidly lessening white oppression over the last 50 year with no results, the more hysterical the culture is getting. If you were burning up in an increasingly hot room and you were adjusting the wrong thermostat, you'd be getting hysterical too, no? Blaming whites for black cultural and economic paralysis has bore no results because whites, including white police, have not been the most dynamic problem in black communities for decades. A hedonistic , immediate gratification, cultural anarchy, bore of an obsession with materialism, racism, prejudice, sexism, deception, crime, drugs use, homophobia, infighting, and anti-semitism, to name a few, has become an increasing issue in black communities.

As long as blacks blame their very cohesive and unified cultural problems on the wrong issue, they are going to get no relief from their cultural pain. And as long as blacks flog the dead horse of white hate with no relief, the more panicked they're going to get. And in ratings starved and highly competitive media as a cheering squad, an insult and humiliation to our first amendment, you're going to get what we have now: the irrational mass hysteria of cutting off your neighborhood's nose to spite your community's face. [The photo of an innocent looking Michael Brown, considering his behavior right before his shooting, is blatantly vulgar and unAmerican propaganda, not unlike the Photoshopped version of a 14 year old Trayvon Martin, who was actually over 16 as he sat on top of Zimmerman banging the man's head into the pavement. I would like to see someone sue this modern motherf***ing race baiting press for "inciting to riot."]

What is happening in Furguson is the equivalent of being so panicked at the wrong thermostat for not lowering the heat, they are getting pissed off at it and throwing a tantrum...ripping the wrong thermostat out of the wall and jumping up and down on it.

Michael Brown's "street justice" of physically attacking an armed law enforcement officer, and continuing after being wounded, was really moreso authored by the racist hate of a white cop than resisting arrest. Wilson's description of the look on Browns face as he charged him is chilling. I certainly would not wanted to have faced that man. But in a faith based culture, objectivity is lost, if in fact it ever existed. Self reflection is unheard of. I can't get it up tonight so there's gotta be a white man behind this. Because my momma and my minister have told me that's the way the world works.

Meanwhile the real thermostat stays set.

And wrong thermostats will be blamed.

And the heat in the room will keep going up.

Waiting for the next tantrum.

That must have felt super good for you to let out huh

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
What in the world is happening with this stldagger person. Why is he yelling at everyone.

e: yelling at other media, apparently. "Fuckin' homos"?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Wow, STLDagger with the gay bashing

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nutranurse posted:

-MLK, guy who got shot in his loving head and had much of his work undone over the past few years

Malcolm X was murdered as well, so I guess that disproves what he said about violent protest.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
STLDagger is losing his mind

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Keg posted:

words on thermostats

:iiapa:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Proponent of non-violent protest is a victim of violence? Heh, loving owned. Shows how much non-violent protest works, what a tard.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

tsa posted:

Malcolm X was murdered as well, so I guess that disproves what he said about violent protest.

well really everyone dies so i guess there's only one way out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Foma posted:

We do still have the Voting Rights Act, the Supreme Court only ruled against a section of it, but continue to be wrong, it is entertaining.

Care to elaborate on the effect of Shelby? I mean, you sound pretty knowledgeable and pointed about it, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind 'splaining to everyone how that one section affected the VRA's Section 5 powers, and the remaining routes by which it is applied now.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

The Ender posted:

You think what people are doing now is going to have a positive effect? I don't I think the protesters are making giant strides backwards. It is now going to be harder to change things for the better.

Yes, I believe in democracy, I think the system we have going for it is good and solid, I think a lot of the problems we have are do to people not participating in those systems and being disenfranchised. I think constant cynicism is self hobbling.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

tsa posted:

And then MLK had his head blown off while he was on a hotel balcony, and riots erupted in cities all over the United States.

I mean, I totally agree that the riots are unlikely to lead anywhere good, and that this probably just represents a continuation of a violent cycle. But I'm also in a bubble of extraordinary social privilege as far as my ethnicity is concerned and I didn't just have a family member shot dead by the police (who then lied about & defamed said family member in order to try and excuse the crime). Quoting an enraged father in the context used by Foma is ridiculous.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

So I guess not protesting at all is the only viable solution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My grandmother has told me stories about her parents cheering and celebrating when they found out MLK got murdered.

• Locked thread