Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dedede's neutral air has no landing lag so you can fastfall bodyslam someone to approach and immediately grab, shield or do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm not sure how many of these have been said already but I've been gone all day and felt like throwing in my two cents:

Throw Gordos, even at point blank. In fact, point blank lets you hit the person with both the Gordo and your hammer for an easy 24%.

Throw Gordos when recovering. I like to use a couple jumps then clear my landing trajectory with my pal, Big G, to discourage anyone who's trying to give chase or wait for my return.

You can tilt up while throwing Gordos to keep them close to you or down to make them go only midrange. The closer they stay to you the higher they bounce as well.

Inhaling projectiles is risky because Dedede's a slow eater, but inhaling your opponents is a great idea. Everyone has a counter any more but they can't counter being swallowed. You can also spit people off ledges to put them on the defensive which works great against characters too fast for a big, fat penguin.

You can jump while charging Dedede's Down+B. I can't count how many people I've taught that the hard way.

Dedede's forward smash is one of the most powerful things in this entire game. It's slow but it wrecks shop. Pro-tip: Inhaling people and just spitting them out will make them want to naturally gravitate back towards you... and your hammer.

You can cancel your Up+B by pressing up at any point but you'll still have landing lag. Instead, cancel and aim for a ledge for the invincibility. You can also cancel after sitting on an airborne opponent, spiking them into the abyss and still landing on a ledge safely. Just don't ever cancel right above the ground or you'll faceplant for several extremely vulnerable seconds.

As mentioned above, your down throw can be comboed into your forward air very easily.

Dedede's forward tilt has massive reach. I'm not 100%, but I think it can even stop Ike's charge without it hitting you.

Your up air has big reach and shoots people extremely far. It's a really good kill move with a hitbox well above your hurtbox.

Most importantly, always crouch at the end of battle, giving the camera your best bedroom eyes.

Just throw gordos all the time and never stop.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Spectated a couple matches. You straight up can't predict who is going to win even when the matchups seem obvious. Also it's a good thing you gamble with fake money

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Kaethela posted:

Just throw gordos all the time and never stop.

This is also acceptable.

I once faced this tryhard Villager who kept showing off his skills by Balloon Tripping under the stage and constantly pocketing my Gordos. My favorite moment was when he threw one back at me and I hit it into his face. He flew off the screen so quickly it was like he just disappeared.

Moral of the story: Always Throw Gordos

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the controller scheme that people are using with the GC controller? Just changing the C-stick to attack versus smash?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wario should be able to eat Gordos, Lumas, Pikmin, and other sentient minions, like Duck Hunt's gunmen

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Dedede's second jab has basically no recovery so you can just go for a downsmash or a grab afterwards to good effect. Useful if its a character who can easily get out of the full combo like yoshi

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Goons, direct some friend requests to NNID jivjov. I'm gonna spectate a match of two, and then lets Smash!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Phone posted:

What's the controller scheme that people are using with the GC controller? Just changing the C-stick to attack versus smash?

Most people seem to appreciate X as grab, Y as jump, L as jump, and tap jump off. I prefer X as jump, Y as grab, tap jump off, and C-stick set to smash. There's no "community standard" with control schemes; just go with whatever you're comfortable with, honestly.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Phone posted:

God drat, Ness is strong on VG Boot Camp.

My favorite streaming group. The VGB hosts themselves are competitive but not pedantic nerdlords, generally.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate the final event.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Phone posted:

For this game, yes. Unfortunately the c-stick is buggy and halts your momentum for aerials, unless you use this control scheme as a workaround. It forces you to use A for Smash attacks but that's the lesser of two evils.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it buggy or intended that way? After all controlling normally you have to stop your momentum for aerials.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Using the c stick literally made my controller stop working.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just had a For Glory team match where my team was Wario (me) and Dedede. We beat the other team of Little Mac and Greninja.

The next match Dedede and I were on different teams and he spent the entire match self-destructing and crouching.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

greatn posted:

Is it buggy or intended that way? After all controlling normally you have to stop your momentum for aerials.

Oops, sorry I got that wrong. It's not that your momentum is stopped, it's that you're locked into that momentum while attacking.

You can charge smash attacks with the C-stick this time around, and it appears to be a side effect of that. Basically unless you 'flick' the stick perfectly, the game becomes confused and thinks you are charging a smash attack, even though you are in the air, and thus you cannot move until the move finishes. It's not intentional.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should patch in the ability to move while crouching for Dedede. He'd keep doing his relaxation lean but a handful of Waddle Dees would appear to pick him up and carry him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-aP6y1EGg

pikmin is a good stage

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I like that if you earn the chance to unlock a character by playing a certain number of Smash matches, the winner of the match is the one who fights the unlock fight. It's a nice touch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocketlex posted:

I like that if you earn the chance to unlock a character by playing a certain number of Smash matches, the winner of the match is the one who fights the unlock fight. It's a nice touch.

That's how it's been since Melee.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Why is it that people complaining about competitive players are 10x whinier than the pro players themselves?

I wasn't complaining at all, don't be a dick. I watch competitive Smash every now and again and enjoy it. I said it's depressing because Smash 4 has a lot of good and pretty stages that won't get a ton of airtime once the pro scene gets bigger.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Suspicious Cook posted:

They should patch in the ability to move while crouching for Dedede. He'd keep doing his relaxation lean but a handful of Waddle Dees would appear to pick him up and carry him.

This is a good idea.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can't you play on all the stages if you just play their Omega modes

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No items, Fox only, Final Destination mode?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought it was gonna be that fucker waddling onto the stage on the left.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

enojy posted:

I thought it was gonna be that fucker waddling onto the stage on the left.

I love that loving crab now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Evil Eagle posted:

I love that loving crab now.

No no gently caress that crab. I'm talking about the strawberry-looking cutie. Idk its name because I never pay any attention when I play video games, Pikmin 3 included. All I know is, I'm supposed to find fruit.

Just noticed, it was totally the crab that tugged the pulley up on Rosalina. This game rules.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Can't you play on all the stages if you just play their Omega modes

some people dont like the fact that some omegas you can't go under the stage.

Also, lol, they aren't using regular FD because of the bright light that happens in the background.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

mabels big day posted:

some people dont like the fact that some omegas you can't go under the stage.

Also, lol, they aren't using regular FD because of the bright light that happens in the background.

It's really hard to see when it shows the super lens flare. It also kinda hurts my eyes when it does that.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

I thought this was going to be the overturned flower pot or the bridge rebuilding itself over the players, which is another cool thing that can happen. But it was even better than expected.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm sad that Big Battlefield is banned, because it's the closest thing we have to Dreamland.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

I thought this was going to be the overturned flower pot or the bridge rebuilding itself over the players, which is another cool thing that can happen. But it was even better than expected.

The first time I played garden of hope we basically went through the entire gauntlet of all the poo poo that can happen on that stage. Falling off the platforms on the ends (I got trapped under it even), getting destroyed by the crab, and both of us being trapped in the flower pot with no idea of what the heck was happening.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've decided that I'm only gonna teach my Fox amiibo on Final Destination/Omega mode with items off.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm not sure how many of these have been said already but I've been gone all day and felt like throwing in my two cents:

Throw Gordos, even at point blank. In fact, point blank lets you hit the person with both the Gordo and your hammer for an easy 24%.

Throw Gordos when recovering. I like to use a couple jumps then clear my landing trajectory with my pal, Big G, to discourage anyone who's trying to give chase or wait for my return.

You can tilt up while throwing Gordos to keep them close to you or down to make them go only midrange. The closer they stay to you the higher they bounce as well.

Inhaling projectiles is risky because Dedede's a slow eater, but inhaling your opponents is a great idea. Everyone has a counter any more but they can't counter being swallowed. You can also spit people off ledges to put them on the defensive which works great against characters too fast for a big, fat penguin.

You can jump while charging Dedede's Down+B. I can't count how many people I've taught that the hard way.

Dedede's forward smash is one of the most powerful things in this entire game. It's slow but it wrecks shop. Pro-tip: Inhaling people and just spitting them out will make them want to naturally gravitate back towards you... and your hammer.

You can cancel your Up+B by pressing up at any point but you'll still have landing lag. Instead, cancel and aim for a ledge for the invincibility. You can also cancel after sitting on an airborne opponent, spiking them into the abyss and still landing on a ledge safely. Just don't ever cancel right above the ground or you'll faceplant for several extremely vulnerable seconds.

As mentioned above, your down throw can be comboed into your forward air very easily.

Dedede's forward tilt has massive reach. I'm not 100%, but I think it can even stop Ike's charge without it hitting you.

Your up air has big reach and shoots people extremely far. It's a really good kill move with a hitbox well above your hurtbox.

Most importantly, always crouch at the end of battle, giving the camera your best bedroom eyes.

Thanks again everyone. I'm about to head into the Lab and learn how to be a king

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

So I've decided that I'm only gonna teach my Fox amiibo on Final Destination/Omega mode with items off.

Fox only! No items! Final destination!

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

noirstronaut posted:

Using the c stick literally made my controller stop working.

What?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

F. Lobot posted:

I'm sad that Big Battlefield is banned, because it's the closest thing we have to Dreamland.

...Why is Big Battlefield banned?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

It's made for 8 players, not 2. It's too big.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Same reason Ridley's not playable. Zing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big Battlefield's pretty drat fun.

Anyone have advice for playing Ike, Samus, and/or Sheik?

(But preferably Ike.)

• Locked thread