Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

outlier posted:

Just listened to the WHM's episode on Johnny Mnemonic. I had forgotten just how stupid and strange that movie was: Henry Rollins as the street medic bursting into a rant about overuse of computers, Dina Meyer as an unconvincing bodyguard, Dolph Lundgren as a weird bounty hunter out of nowhere, Ice T as the leader of rebel underground (which may have started the SF trend of future rebel movements being led by shouty black dudes snarling speeches into a microphone). It's an unholy mess and I shudder to think what they would have done with Neuromancer.

The hacking scene needs to be seen to be believed. Words don't do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p0jmewhXeU

Sadly, I can't find a video of Keanu threatening the guy on the BBS.

"I'll crash your board from here, man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
90s internet hacking was the best. No one writing had any idea how the internet worked, the public had no idea how the internet worked, and the need to create a visual design for this unknown quantity resulted in everyone just throwing COMPUTER animation at the problem.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, I just realized something...

WHM has done three "family infiltrator" movies: The Good Son, Poison Ivy, and Hand That Rocks The Cradle. And all three of them end right after the main villain dies, and in every case the villain dies via falling.

I get why the movies end how they do (because trying to figure out why the whole family isn't going to jail for murder or just figuring out how they're going to deal with everything they went through is hard), but why do they all die because of gravity?

I haven't listened to the Hider in the House episode yet, though. Does it fit the pattern?

fake edit: Oh poo poo, you get all four villains from those movies together, you've got the ultimate evil family!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gyges posted:

90s internet hacking was the best. No one writing had any idea how the internet worked, the public had no idea how the internet worked, and the need to create a visual design for this unknown quantity resulted in everyone just throwing COMPUTER animation at the problem.

I know it's goofy as gently caress, but I can't help but like it since it reminds me of Matrix hacking in the Shadowrun game for the Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxlxlAwOA0&t=71s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Mastermind posted:

WHM has done three "family infiltrator" movies: The Good Son, Poison Ivy, and Hand That Rocks The Cradle. And all three of them end right after the main villain dies, and in every case the villain dies via falling.

I get why the movies end how they do (because trying to figure out why the whole family isn't going to jail for murder or just figuring out how they're going to deal with everything they went through is hard), but why do they all die because of gravity?

I haven't listened to the Hider in the House episode yet, though. Does it fit the pattern?

fake edit: Oh poo poo, you get all four villains from those movies together, you've got the ultimate evil family!

Gravity is the ultimate equalizer; nobody is guilty or impure for not preventing someone from cracking their heads open on jagged rocks at the end of a cliff. It's why a lot of Disney villains die like that (yeah there are exceptions of course but a bunch of Disney villains die from heights)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it's because (and this goes back to Hayes code values) having the evil person fall to their death means that the good person doesn't have the moral stain on their conscience of actually having to have killed them. (In the Hayes code, one couldn't commit a murder without punishment, meaning that many "bad-guys-killed-by-good-guys" got killed by accident, like..falling over and hitting their head or whatever else.)

And I realised that almost any movie with a nanny is prime for WHM glory. Invisible Child, Mrs Doubtfire, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, etc. Also, would "Houseguest" fit into the "family infiltrator" genre? :p I just think movies with nannies/family infiltrators end up being prime Lifetime level glory.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Busey dies by bullets, his only weakness.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Infamous Sphere posted:

And I realised that almost any movie with a nanny is prime for WHM glory. Invisible Child, Mrs Doubtfire, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, etc. Also, would "Houseguest" fit into the "family infiltrator" genre? :p I just think movies with nannies/family infiltrators end up being prime Lifetime level glory.

Mrs. Doubtfire is a good movie, though.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
but whether you liked it or not, you can't deny that it made an excellent WHM episode.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think Hand That Rocks The Cradle was the most underwhelming show I've listened to thus far. I still can't figure out from the episode what makes it exceptionally bad or noteworthy as opposed to just a completely bland movie. Maybe I'm just bitter they didn't use my request :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think it's because (and this goes back to Hayes code values) having the evil person fall to their death means that the good person doesn't have the moral stain on their conscience of actually having to have killed them. (In the Hayes code, one couldn't commit a murder without punishment, meaning that many "bad-guys-killed-by-good-guys" got killed by accident, like..falling over and hitting their head or whatever else.)

And while gravity wasn't the culprit, the Invisible Child ended with the death of its villain, the cruel invisible child who manipulated an innocent family to its twisted whims.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rincewind posted:

And while gravity wasn't the culprit, the Invisible Child ended with the death of its villain, the cruel invisible child who manipulated an innocent family to its twisted whims.

I thought the villain was Victor Garber's enabling

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My old bad movie podcast did LOL about a year ago and it really is as bonkers and weird and creepy as they make it out to be, even without Rob Huebel talking about jerking off a lot.

The chicken scene is mindboggling.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What's your podcast and how'd you get Rob Huebel?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What's your podcast and how'd you get Rob Huebel?

No no, Huebel is on this week's HDTGM and talks about getting high and jerking off. A lot.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

No no, Huebel is on this week's HDTGM and talks about getting high and jerking off. A lot.

So he's literally his character from The League.

EDIT: His old podcast is Netflix Martyrs and it is/was solid:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-netflix-martyrs/id634114104?mt=2

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hewlett posted:

So he's literally his character from The League.

EDIT: His old podcast is Netflix Martyrs and it is/was solid:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-netflix-martyrs/id634114104?mt=2

Aw shucks. :3:

We had a good time doing the 'cast but learned a lot from our year-long foray and are going to be bringing it back in a new capacity soonish, hopefully having learned from our mistakes. I'd definitely recommend listening to our episode on Elizabethtown. We hate hate hated that movie on a Roger Ebert level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

weekly font posted:

Aw shucks. :3:

We had a good time doing the 'cast but learned a lot from our year-long foray and are going to be bringing it back in a new capacity soonish, hopefully having learned from our mistakes. I'd definitely recommend listening to our episode on Elizabethtown. We hate hate hated that movie on a Roger Ebert level.

I'm glad to head that; I didn't find out about your podcast until after it faded. I loved the "Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life" episode.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm glad to head that; I didn't find out about your podcast until after it faded. I loved the "Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life" episode.

Oh man, I really appreciate it!

If I knew we had listeners maybe we would have tried harder to keep it alive but a few things messed it up. One was that we were spread out across the country so we had to use Skype/Google Hangouts and it made it an absolute pain to edit together into something coherent. The big thing I've taken from listening to WHM and Alcohollywood is that in-person works so much better. So D and myself (Chris) will be putting together a new podcast tentatively called "Franchise Players" where we go through an entire film franchise. We're really excited because we don't only have to talk about bad movies, but it will still be a major focus. For example, we'll be tackling the Halloween franchise early on and it's great that we get to talk about an all-time classic (1), a laugh out loud cult classic (3) and one of the biggest pieces of poo poo ever (8).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Nice; yeah, nothing honestly beats the live energy of an in-person podcast, so I insist on having guests who can make it to Alcohollywood Studios (read: my garden apartment) on the night. The Franchise Players idea sounds awesome - you have no idea how much better it is for your sanity when you get to talk about good movies, which I think we do more often than not now.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

weekly font posted:

Oh man, I really appreciate it!

If I knew we had listeners maybe we would have tried harder to keep it alive but a few things messed it up. One was that we were spread out across the country so we had to use Skype/Google Hangouts and it made it an absolute pain to edit together into something coherent. The big thing I've taken from listening to WHM and Alcohollywood is that in-person works so much better. So D and myself (Chris) will be putting together a new podcast tentatively called "Franchise Players" where we go through an entire film franchise. We're really excited because we don't only have to talk about bad movies, but it will still be a major focus. For example, we'll be tackling the Halloween franchise early on and it's great that we get to talk about an all-time classic (1), a laugh out loud cult classic (3) and one of the biggest pieces of poo poo ever (8).

Sounds like a great idea. Once I realised you weren't gonna be updating again I felt pretty bad that I only made one post about the podcast all the way back with the Dracula 3000 episode. Sometimes I forget this thread isn't just the WHM, Flophouse (and sometimes HDTGM) thread. Keep the thread updated on when the new series starts and you'll have one definite listener in me.

Speaking of little mentioned podcasts, it was nice to see Your Stupid Minds tackle The Fog. Probably this first movie I ever hate watched.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

And sometime Y,ITB fan club :awesome:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hellllll Yessssss

Buried Alive was a staple of mine in the 90's, and whenever I stumbled across it on cable I wouldn't shut up about it for weeks because it's just so loving crazy. I love that they love what I love :allears:

Also thrilled that they're interested in Buried Alive 2. I would favorably call it the Gremlins 2 of Buried Alive. Like for example, they request the deceased be double-embalmed and buried in the sturdiest casket known to mankind. It also continues to contain Tim Matheson, reprising his role as Kind Goodperson Clint Goodman.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I wonder what Clint Worthington (Hewlett/1 half of Alcohollywood) thinks of Clint Goodman. After all, his name's only a few changes away from being CLINT WORTHYMAN which is almost as good.

Next WHM? Hint's "Murals." I reckon it's gonna be Xanadu.
Has WHM ever done a musical? I know YITB did a couple.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hope it is; I was going to call in and request it but I completely forgot. :(

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
HEY SAJDAK!

That was probably my favorite part of the episode.

Can't wait for Jingle All the Way 2. I hope it lives down to the hype.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
I fell out of listening for a little bit and missed the listener request month for WHM, and I regret not requesting something with Jim Belushi. I miss the Belushi voice!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fezz posted:

HEY SAJDAK!

That was probably my favorite part of the episode.

Can't wait for Jingle All the Way 2. I hope it lives down to the hype.

"It's one of those things where you put your hands up, like you'll catch the bullet?"

"Yea, like I know I kinda deserve it"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought the extended conversation about grave robbing was great.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The idea of an undisturbed grave is just folklore :colbert:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Infamous Sphere posted:

I wonder what Clint Worthington (Hewlett/1 half of Alcohollywood) thinks of Clint Goodman. After all, his name's only a few changes away from being CLINT WORTHYMAN which is almost as good.

Eight Crazy Nights

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Infamous Sphere posted:

Star Wars Holiday Special

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what episode of "We Hate Movies" was the first one to introduce the "CAT EYES!!!" meme?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Majorian posted:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but what episode of "We Hate Movies" was the first one to introduce the "CAT EYES!!!" meme?

Steve started it in Secret Window. Just want to say that Buried Alive is the hardest I've laughed at WHM in a while, the grave robbing discussion that turned into an actually funny Chris joke was perfect. Big thanks to whichever goon requested it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

I am Reverend posted:

Steve started it in Secret Window.

THANK you. That's been plaguing me for a week now. It's a great joke.

I loved the "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue" episode - I had totally forgotten that that abomination existed, but boy, what a perfect encapsulation of the DARE program that was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

The idea of an undisturbed grave is just folklore :colbert:

I know way too much about corruption in the mortuary business. Throughout that whole bit I was going, "You guys are joking but it's all true."

Even if you set aside the price gouging, emotional manipulation, spying on their customers, theft, and shoddy work, you still have to deal with the Tall Man and those silver balls...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's a good workout, though.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Since we finally tackled a bad movie this week, here's our episode on Samurai Cop. We were a hair's breadth from actually having Jay from RLM on, but he had a shoot the day we were going to record - still, it's fun to see/hear Jared be so flabbergasted by a movie.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Elliot's stream of consciousness rant on the newest Flop House is a thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If you're into WHM Spoilers, there's a doozy added to Jupin's Letterboxd Episode List.