Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
The apple website says the only option for getting the 6 plus contract free is with T-Mobile. Is this the same in stores? (I have Verizon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Super Dude posted:

The apple website says the only option for getting the 6 plus contract free is with T-Mobile. Is this the same in stores? (I have Verizon)

Pretty sure they'll sell you a full price phone in-store.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Brock Landers posted:

PSA:
If you are considering the purchase of an iPhone 6, I strongly suggest you take Apple up on their 14 day return policy and buy the iPhone 6 Plus. I had the same concerns about one handed use, size, and slipperiness as everyone else but I found you can most likely overcome them. If you can fit this phone into your life, the upsides more than make up for the concerns you might have.

Some suggestions:
- A slightly grippy case goes a LONG way to alleviating concerns about dropping this phone. I use the elago Slimfit2 but any case that has a matte finish will help. A lot.
- Really consider how often you use the phone one handed. How many of those times are really "deal breakers"? After using the phone for a week you might be surprised how many are still deal breakers.
- At this point, many of the decent apps out there have updated to take advantage of the new screen sizes. When you see how these apps handle the 6 Plus screen, you might be surprised. Experiment with the new layouts and try new apps. You might find something that works better than what you're used to.
Remember: if you buy from apple, you have 14 days to return it. Take advantage of this. You should have a good idea after the first week and you might be surprised.

Good argument. I was going to get a 6 but decided to try the 6 Plus. Picking it up tonight and we will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are there any good (preferably certified) cheap lightning cables on sale anywhere that don't have a bigger tip like the Amazon basics one? I can't use those with the case I ended up getting :smith:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are there any good (preferably certified) cheap lightning cables on sale anywhere that don't have a bigger tip like the Amazon basics one? I can't use those with the case I ended up getting :smith:

Most people love a bigger tip :smug:

But you can get a bunch of either high quality fake Chinese or stolen ones from eBay for like $10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-8-Pin-U...=item43d1f7d633

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

IllegallySober posted:

Good argument. I was going to get a 6 but decided to try the 6 Plus. Picking it up tonight and we will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

I have big hands and was all about the Plus. For about a week I doubted (slightly) my choice but cut to now and I can't even pick up my wife's 6 without thinking it is smallish. Whenever a delivery guy whips out a 5, (or lord help me a 4,) I feel like I'm handling a child's toy.

Not to disparage other phones, it is only to say that it becomes perfectly normal to use a Plus in short order...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Feenix posted:

I have big hands and was all about the Plus. For about a week I doubted (slightly) my choice but cut to now and I can't even pick up my wife's 6 without thinking it is smallish. Whenever a delivery guy whips out a 5, (or lord help me a 4,) I feel like I'm handling a child's toy.

Not to disparage other phones, it is only to say that it becomes perfectly normal to use a Plus in short order...

Gotta say I love it so far. As long as I don't try to operate it one-handed, it's great. It'll take a little getting used to for sure but I think it's gonna work out. :hellyeah:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Monoprice has some new ones with really small casings.
Monoprice Lightning Cables

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IllegallySober posted:

Don't forget to buy the comically oversized jorts to carry your ridiculous jumbophone in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BGrifter posted:

Don't forget to buy the comically oversized jorts to carry your ridiculous jumbophone in.

This post brought to you buy Large-Envy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Yeah I carried a 6 plus for about a week and I'm glad I went down to the 6.

If you can't get an iPad or tablet then yeah it might be good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goodness posted:

Yeah I carried a 6 plus for about a week and I'm glad I went down to the 6.

If you can't get an iPad or tablet then yeah it might be good.

I have an iPad Air. The Plus is still great.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
The 6+ feels like the phone I always wanted the iPhone to be. I laugh when I see regular iPhones. Why would you want one that small?

Seriously though, it's comfortable for me to hold and read on in a way that I didn't find with the Droid Turbo. I must have monster paws and terrible eyes. Plus the battery life is great.

And I keep it in my coat pocket. Back pocket when I take it to the bathroom to play some stupid game for 10 minutes while marinating in other men's fart cloud stink. Not a big deal.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep an iPhone 4 around to test software on and I like it. I'm just fond of it. I think the 5 is a great size too, but I would take the 6's size over it for sure.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Feenix posted:

I have an iPad Air. The Plus is still great.

Yep it's different for everyone. Some people like the plus, some don't and some just use android.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

goodness posted:

some just use android.

yeah but they're not people

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm going snowboarding in January and I was wondering if there's any iPhone apps out there that can give me cool info or whatever without needing a internet connection. Not sure what I'm looking for really, just general suggestions of neat apps that might enhance the trip a bit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you have no cell signal where you're going, just turn the goddamn phone off and enjoy the trip.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you have no cell signal where you're going, just turn the goddamn phone off and enjoy the trip.
That's mostly my plan, I was just thinking of stuff like offline maps that show the courses in case I get a bit lost (first time ever boarding on a real mountain), or tracking maximum speed or whatever.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Trace snow does top speed, distance, calories, and has some maps depending on your resort. I never ended up using it but my friend wouldn't shut up about it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

savesthedayrocks posted:

Trace snow does top speed, distance, calories, and has some maps depending on your resort. I never ended up using it but my friend wouldn't shut up about it.

I imagine most of that requires GPS on all the time and your phone probably won't last a full day on the slopes.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately after looking at their website I don't see my resort there but it looks like a cool app regardless.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Anyone have any recs for good iPhone 5s cases? I had a Speck Candyshell one or whatever it's called and now the rubber has pretty much rubbed away and parts of the plastic shell has fallen off. I also dropped my phone a fair amount. Any good cases for a clumsy person like me?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the Impact Mesh case that's on the Apple Store. The buttons kinda have to be broken in some though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Akarshi posted:

Anyone have any recs for good iPhone 5s cases? I had a Speck Candyshell one or whatever it's called and now the rubber has pretty much rubbed away and parts of the plastic shell has fallen off. I also dropped my phone a fair amount. Any good cases for a clumsy person like me?

gently caress a Candyshell forever, came apart and looked like rear end, and let my 5s's screen shatter on a 2 foot drop.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone ever experience this problem in Books? Sometimes when I go to a book from the app, I get this error screen. It stays there until I close the app. Any help?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So yeah. I have to eat my words. After having 6 plus for a little over a month, I am conceding that 16GB is, in fact, *not* enough space. As I'm finding myself using it more and more in place of my iPad, I slowly ate up what space I had with work documents, annotated PDFs, and other various bric-a-brac. I still use cloud services and storage extensively, but there's enough that gets cached locally or just makes sense to have on the phone locally it began to impact my workflow as I constantly had to make space.

Fortunately, I was able to go online to the Apple store and order a 64GB model that my Apple store had in stock. So after an iCloud backup and restore I'm back up to speed. I guess my dad will appreciate the 16GB one :)

EDIT: because words are hard.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 26, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

OWC has OEM cables for $9 right now.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've got a basic Photos/iPhoto question, so it's also a Mac app question. Let me break it down:

1. I take a photo with my iPhone, and it's added to the camera roll and my photo stream. It stays on the photo stream for 30 days or until I take 1000 more photos (assuming this is my first photo).
2. I turn on my Mac, and the photo appears in my iPhoto Library. It's listed in the category 'Last 12 Months' and in the 'November 2014 Photo Stream' folder in the 'Events' category.
3. Back on my iPhone, I go to 'Albums' -> 'My Photo Stream' and delete the photo.

Does this also delete the photo in my iPhoto Library?

If so, what can I do to permanently archive the image inside my iPhoto Library without having to also keep the image on my phone or on my photo stream? I ask because it's my understanding that photo stream only keeps 1000 individual / 30 days worth of images, and I've got the psychotic urge to keep every photo I've ever taken on my iPhone.

Question Mark Mound posted:

That's mostly my plan, I was just thinking of stuff like offline maps that show the courses in case I get a bit lost (first time ever boarding on a real mountain), or tracking maximum speed or whatever.

I've always liked this for use when I go hiking. It's got a shitload of different map datasets you can download, and you can create waypoints, track your coordinates and elevation, etc. It's a $10 app. I use it for work as well so I didn't mind the price, but be sure and check it out to see if it is worth it to you before buying.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iPhoto archives all photos it gets from Photo Stream, so feel free to delete whatever off the phone.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So if I see it in iPhoto's library, it's safe? That's good to know. I had read a discussion in another forum that made it sound like the photo would be deleted from iPhoto if I deleted it from my phone.

I also noticed something strange just now. There are a handful of photos from about a week ago that are present on my phone's local storage, and on my photo stream when viewed on my phone, but that do not appear in my iPhoto library. I can plug in my phone to my Mac and see the photos in iPhoto, but they haven't been imported to my library. I have to import them manually while connected via USB to get them into my iPhoto library. They were taken with the camera app like any normal photo, so why wouldn't they get saved to my iPhoto library automatically?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
6+ here:

I set 3 fingers for touchID, (thumb, 1 index) and it works... And then within a few days touchID doesn't work...

[Edit] Well, the index finger works but the other 2 not so much...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 27, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you clean the sensor and wash your hands :I

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

Did you clean the sensor and wash your hands :I

I have a 2 year old so I wash my hands approximately eleventy-billion times a day. And I mean, I wipe the sensor down with microfiber from time to time. I figure if it was dirty it most likely would at least occasionally have trouble with my index finger. It never does... just my 2 thumbs. And only after working just fine for several days. Very peculiar.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone ever experience this problem in Books? Sometimes when I go to a book from the app, I get this error screen. It stays there until I close the app. Any help?

Oh yeah, this is an iOS 8 problem seemingly.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Feenix posted:

I have a 2 year old so I wash my hands approximately eleventy-billion times a day. And I mean, I wipe the sensor down with microfiber from time to time. I figure if it was dirty it most likely would at least occasionally have trouble with my index finger. It never does... just my 2 thumbs. And only after working just fine for several days. Very peculiar.

I'm an OCD clean-freak and I've totally given up on Touch ID. No matter what I do, what Internet advice I follow, it works roughly half of the time. I've seen enough reports of people with similar problems that I think there may be a hardware issue with certain devices.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Wow, don't know what is going on with all you dudes, but Touch ID works like, fantastically well for me and always has. I have it set up for my thumb and index finger on both hands and it only fails me when I don't put enough of the pad of my finger on it, which is my own fault.

Seriously TouchID is like magic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

petewhitley posted:

I'm an OCD clean-freak and I've totally given up on Touch ID. No matter what I do, what Internet advice I follow, it works roughly half of the time. I've seen enough reports of people with similar problems that I think there may be a hardware issue with certain devices.

Furthermore I find when I go into the App Store half the time it won't let me use my TouchID and says something about having to enter your password the first time you buy something after a reboot only I haven't rebooted my phone in several days but it's told he that thrice today alone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Feenix posted:

Furthermore I find when I go into the App Store half the time it won't let me use my TouchID and says something about having to enter your password the first time you buy something after a reboot only I haven't rebooted my phone in several days but it's told he that thrice today alone.

That's happening to me too but it's not a big enough annoyance for me to worry about. That's without touch id ever having issues recognizing either of my thumbs, which are the only two saved on my 6+. I've been oddly lucky with iOS 8, so thanks Angel Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I delete photos off my iPhone after transferring them to my PC, so there's currently nothing on my 6. However, Settings/Usage still shows Photos & Camera using 1.8GB, which is the sum total of photos and videos I've shot since restoring my phone as new last week. What the hell?

edit: There's a recently deleted photos folder now.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2014