Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

mods namechange pls

Wookies Codpiece or festering jizzbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sombrerotron posted:

and probably Atton Rand (who is extremely angsty and unfunny).

Atton Rand was great. He was a smuggler who was a stupid rear end in a top hat that everybody hated. He was the anti-Han Solo.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Sombrerotron posted:

Atton Rand (who is extremely angsty and unfunny).

Was he? I seem to remember being pretty charmed by him. But then I had one too many conversations with boring blonde dude so he showed up at my unsatisfying, pointless goodbye conversation instead. Man that game fell apart at the end.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

natetimm posted:

Wookies Codpiece or festering jizzbox?

the first is more unique but the second is acceptable

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
In one of the Jedi Academy books the kids get captured by a Tie fighter pilot who'd been shot down at the end of the first movie & had been surviving in the jungle for the last ten or fifteen years like one of those Japanese soldiers in WWII.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

effectual posted:

Have you seen some of the other Darth names? They're really stupid.

The whole concept of Darth as a title is dumb as gently caress. Same with every bar in the goddamn galaxy being a "cantina."

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 26, 2014

Predisposed
Jun 26, 2004

The next dreadful thing to a battle lost is a battle won.

Kazy posted:

also, i don't think ig-88 ever drove an at-at, but i'm pretty sure his brain took control of the death star ii seconds before it blew up or something

Yep this does happen. If I go back to 10 year old self reading 'Tales of the Bounty Hunter' there are actually four IG-88s (A,B,C and D) that are sort of slaved to A. In a 70 page story end up fighting Boba Fett, program some droid storm troopers, troll the Emperor, take over the Death Star, and as mentioned, get blown up right before he releases code to take over all droids everywhere to kill all humans biologicals.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

burritolingus posted:

The whole concept of Darth as a title is dumb as gently caress. Same with every bar in the goddamn galaxy being a "cantina."

the georeg lucas pro strat: "hmm, [SPECIFIC ELEMENT DEVOID OF CONTEXT] worked once. I will keep using it, again and again, forever"

i should have yelled at him when i walked past him at a cafe a few months ago

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Predisposed posted:

Yep this does happen. If I go back to 10 year old self reading 'Tales of the Bounty Hunter' there are actually four IG-88s (A,B,C and D) that are sort of slaved to A. In a 70 page story end up fighting Boba Fett, program some droid storm troopers, troll the Emperor, take over the Death Star, and as mentioned, get blown up right before he releases code to take over all droids everywhere to kill all humans biologicals.

That book was awesome. It's probably the EU thing that makes me cringe the LEAST.

Didn't a model of IG-88 survive in that story?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hutts are tumblr esque hermaphrodites that arbitrarily choose a gender for no reason and they keep their young in marsupial pouches for hundreds of years. Their young can enter and leave the pouch all willy nilly and drink milk in the pouch and I remember one of them acting like the kid from leave it to beaver like "aw shucks mom do I have to go back in the pouch already?? Me and the other slug monsters were playing stickball"

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 26, 2014

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Me and my friend recently watched all of the Star Wars movies in a row. 4 was really good, 5 was really good too, 6 was pretty good but had a lot of Lucas things in it. 1 was garbage, 2 was not very good, 3 was ok.

Read "The Secret History of Star Wars". Some guy went and did extremely extensive research of the script writing process for all 6 movies. It's pretty obvious from it that Lucas is an okay writer although he loving hates writing (and it took a lot of people like Kasdan and Kurtz to make the scripts for 4 and 5 actually good).
Also the Dark Side was called the Bogan for a really long time.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RAGE HOLE posted:

Was he? I seem to remember being pretty charmed by him. But then I had one too many conversations with boring blonde dude so he showed up at my unsatisfying, pointless goodbye conversation instead. Man that game fell apart at the end.
A lot of people appear to like Atton, so I might be the odd one out. Whether or not you think he's funny, though, he's definitely very very angsty (cf. Atton's dramatic death).

Kikka posted:

It's pretty obvious from it that Lucas is an okay writer although he loving hates writing (and it took a lot of people like Kasdan and Kurtz to make the scripts for 4 and 5 actually good).
What's funny is that Lucas has admitted himself in the past that he's bad at writing, even before TPM I think. He went through something like 15 very different drafts before ANH crystallised.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Pre-internet I had a book called "The Essential Guide to Star Wars Characters" or something like that. It has a lot about those characters that were in the background at the cantina or Jabba's palace. They were all pretty much sort of insane, but the weirdest one was like, the guy at the catina who was smoking a hookah or something. He wanted to suck out Han Solo's luck essence, because he could smell how lucky he was, and that's all this guy did, travel around space sucking luck from handsome lucky dudes. I was pretty sheltered pre-teen girl but when I read that I conceptualized the idea of homoerotic before I knew that such a term even existed.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gohuskies posted:

And it even turns out that one of the background dancers at Jabba's palace added in the new CGI footage happens to be Mara Jade undercover on her mission to get Luke:

this is probably the most annoying thing about the EU, lovely writing aside. there aren't any nobody characters. If they've got a name, then they're one of the most important people in the galaxy. Hell one of the trash can robots almost wound up running the universe or something.

It's an entire thing filled entirely with mary sues

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
So what was the beef with Dash Rendar? Isn't he supposed to be Solo 2.0 or something?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dark Empire was great. Wish they made it into the new movies.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Wicker Man posted:

So what was the beef with Dash Rendar? Isn't he supposed to be Solo 2.0 or something?

Dash Rendar is the best gun in the west galaxy (not just with a gun but when flying a ship too, even Luke is shocked by how good a shot he is), is the best pilot, has a heart of gold but the personality of a dick, flies the NotMillenium Falcon. Was on Hoth and totally harpooned loads of walkers, he has a backtalking sidekick droid pilot/navigator, he totally fought Boba Fett and beat him AND then fought IG-88 and beat him too. He beats himself up because he couldn't shoot down an unshootdownable torpedo and some people died. He faked his death and made everyone think of him as a martyr and a great hero, and instead snuck off to smuggle in secret.

Here is his ship the Outrider, not the millenium falcon. It does some weird B-Wing flippy thing.

Did I miss anything?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 26, 2014

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wicker Man posted:

He's the dude from that Nintendo 64 game

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

this is probably the most annoying thing about the EU, lovely writing aside. there aren't any nobody characters. If they've got a name, then they're one of the most important people in the galaxy.

That's the fuckin truth right there. Anakin being the creator of C3PO is the absolute pinnacle of this. Hell, R2D2 and C3P0's very existence in the prequels is absurd.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Sammus posted:

That's the fuckin truth right there. Anakin being the creator of C3PO is the absolute pinnacle of this. Hell, R2D2 and C3P0's very existence in the prequels is absurd.

Yeah for me , Anakin building C3PO is way more offencive that the midiclorians thing. Why the gently caress would a slave boy need a protocol droid for??

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Grimlook posted:

Yeah for me , Anakin building C3PO is way more offencive that the midiclorians thing. Why the gently caress would a slave boy need a protocol droid for??

Anakin building C3PO was really dumb but having them in the movie does kind of fit. There's a theme of technology regressing under the Empire that that fits in with really well. A better writer could have found a better place for him though. If they'd made 3PO an assistant to Palpatine or some other kind of bad guy it could have actually been an interesting point of character development with his memory wipe being somewhat meaningful instead of a filled plothole.

Also jet pack R2 was really dumb and out of place.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
One thing I liked about the prequels was that it wasn't a story about good vs evil, rather it was a story about evil vs an incompetent bureaucracy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Last night I learned of mythosaurs, a beast hunted to extinction by Mandalorians because their skulls were awesome looking.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mythosaur

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Star Wars Wiki: 114,710 PAGES ON THIS WIKI

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

InternetJunky posted:

Star Wars Wiki: 114,710 PAGES ON THIS WIKI

remember how wookiepedia flipped their collective poo poo when disney bought star wars and made the EU non canon

My Life's Work~~~
:qqsay:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Marcia_Lucas

quote:

Marcia Lucas (née Griffin) is an American film editor. She met George Lucas when Verna Fields hired her to work as an assistant editor to George while editing US Information Agency documentaries, and they were married between 1969 and 1983. They adopted one daughter, Amanda, who was born in 1981.

Marcia was a co-editor on A New Hope and Return of the Jedi (with some uncredited work on The Empire Strikes Back as well). She won an Academy Award for her work on A New Hope, which was shared with Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew.

That's the entire drat thing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

blowfish posted:

remember how wookiepedia flipped their collective poo poo when disney bought star wars and made the EU non canon

My Life's Work~~~
:qqsay:

and it owned a whole lot

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

this is a good article on her and its kinda sad she is being wiped from memory

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

quote:

It is interesting to note that there are an even number of justices in the Supreme Court. No mention has yet been made on how split decisions are handled or avoided. This may be an explanation for having four trials of Nute Gunray, if the Court was split in deciding each of them and unable to reach a unanimous verdict, (if this was required) causing a deadlock.

HMMM YES VERY INTERESTING HOW INDEED DO THEY ADDRESS THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the final releases of the six films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.
T (Television) canon, which comprises Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. This level of canon is considered to take precedence over C canon (see below), possibly due to the fact that George Lucas is directly involved with these shows as executive producer, and in the case of The Clone Wars is also on the writing team. This level does not include any series before and including the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.
C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, T, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G or T canon.
S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which are immediately overwritten by anything in the main continuity of G and C canon, but are fully canon whenever they do not contradict something of higher canon. For example, this includes the popular Star Tours attraction, the MMORPG game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. Lego Star Wars, "what-if" stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. N canon is the only level that is truly non-canon.
D (Detours) canon refers to the canon of the animated parody television series Star Wars Detours. Despite being completely distinguishable from N canon, it is still completely non-canon. D canon is typically also classified separate from the other forms of canon

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Tezzor posted:

G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the final releases of the six films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.
T (Television) canon, which comprises Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. This level of canon is considered to take precedence over C canon (see below), possibly due to the fact that George Lucas is directly involved with these shows as executive producer, and in the case of The Clone Wars is also on the writing team. This level does not include any series before and including the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.
C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, T, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G or T canon.
S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which are immediately overwritten by anything in the main continuity of G and C canon, but are fully canon whenever they do not contradict something of higher canon. For example, this includes the popular Star Tours attraction, the MMORPG game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. Lego Star Wars, "what-if" stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. N canon is the only level that is truly non-canon.
D (Detours) canon refers to the canon of the animated parody television series Star Wars Detours. Despite being completely distinguishable from N canon, it is still completely non-canon. D canon is typically also classified separate from the other forms of canon

you said this wouldn't be on the test :mad:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

this is probably the most annoying thing about the EU, lovely writing aside. there aren't any nobody characters. If they've got a name, then they're one of the most important people in the galaxy. Hell one of the trash can robots almost wound up running the universe or something.

It's an entire thing filled entirely with mary sues

Wait, does this mean John Ratzenberger's character from Empire Strikes Back has a really detailed backstory that Cliff Claven would be proud of?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

SaltLick posted:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

this is a good article on her and its kinda sad she is being wiped from memory

More evidence on the colossal cock that is George Lucas.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Howard Beale posted:

you said this wouldn't be on the test :mad:

That would be the saddest home school of all time.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Young Freud posted:

Wait, does this mean John Ratzenberger's character from Empire Strikes Back has a really detailed backstory that Cliff Claven would be proud of?

Well, here's his page on Wookieepedia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bren_Derlin

You tell me, I'm not reading all that.

EDIT: This is very thoroughly referenced though

quote:

Notes and references
1. 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 The Last Command Sourcebook; information repeated in The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 HyperspaceIconFists of Ion on Hyperspace (article) (content removed from StarWars.com; new link on Suvudu)
3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back novel
47. Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
48. TCGsmall Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Major Bren Derlin)

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
LEGO star wars isn't canon?!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Lucas was literally doing a first draft so late during making of Episode 2 that concept artists did work on his descriptions instead of anything from an official script. He used the first draft as the official script.

Also the reason for Lucas using pretty much the first drafts for all 3 prequels is that he had the movies figured out in his head for years before. Unfortunately he needed 3 movies and only had material for one, so what he did was simply put part of his ideas into Episode 1, almost none of them into 2, and then most of them into 3. He agonized over the gap he had to write to bridge 1 and 3.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pick posted:

LEGO star wars isn't canon?!

It fails to meet the minimum breast threshold for class C canon. There's an argument for S canon, but this issue can't be resolved until the sideboob and underboob wookiepedias are finalized.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Fetus Tree posted:

The worst thing from the EU is the voice acting for the wookiee with a speech impediment from the thrawn trilogy audiobooks.

He sounds like a retard trying to do a yogi the bear impression

I signed up for audible just to get this book to listen to this.. And yes.. Chapter 17 about 15 minutes in... My ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well, here's his page on Wookieepedia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bren_Derlin

You tell me, I'm not reading all that.

EDIT: This is very thoroughly referenced though

Holy loving poo poo! So anyone who has actually had a spoken line in one of the moves, no matter how brief, has (at the very least) a 15,000 word bio on them?

• Locked thread