Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Kill" is probably a word you have to literally negotiate to use on Nick. Wasn't it Breaking Bad or Mad Men that were told by AMC they could use one "gently caress" per season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kibayasu posted:

"Kill" is probably a word you have to literally negotiate to use on Nick. Wasn't it Breaking Bad or Mad Men that were told by AMC they could use one "gently caress" per season?

I dunno about Mad Men, but Breaking Bad definitely had that. It even extended to the written form, so they had to blur it:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Everything Wrong With American Television

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kibayasu posted:

What's weird about this is that Adventure Time, a cartoon that's intended for younger audiences than Korra, uses the "k-word" all the time and nobody seems to bat an eye.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

What's weird about this is that Adventure Time, a cartoon that's intended for younger audiences than Korra, uses the "k-word" all the time and nobody seems to bat an eye.

Kill tends to have different responses when applied to human or realistic characters which AT is fairly limited on. It also has differences if you're talking about a thing that happened vs "I'll kill you" vs "I'll kill you" and then you actually kill them and so-on.

Language rating is weeeeird.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

They say it a lot there.

Like with Aang talking about having to kill Ozai.

edit: Also no parachutes haha
I'm pretty sure the only time Aang ever specifically used "kill" was right at the end of the series, when he resolved to do it. I only remember one instance of him saying "kill," and that was it.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I think it's along the lines of if you see it, you can't say it, and if you say it, you can't see it. Hence talking about killing the Firelord but not doing it, and Jet dying but no one afterward explicitly expressing he got killed by Long Feng. In fact, I don't recall seeing a corpse on the show. You may see them dying, but you never see them dead.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jorghnassen posted:

In fact, I don't recall seeing a corpse on the show. You may see them dying, but you never see them dead.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Touché. The one exception. (someone will find a dozen more...)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jorghnassen posted:

Touché. The one exception. (someone will find a dozen more...)

Well if you pull back a bit...

:v:

That was the only time that I can recall though.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Kibayasu posted:

I knew that one, but equipment doesn't really count as a corpse.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Fifty Three posted:

I'm pretty sure the only time Aang ever specifically used "kill" was right at the end of the series, when he resolved to do it. I only remember one instance of him saying "kill," and that was it.

It was said plenty. Recall his conversations with the previous avatars over deciding to kill or not kill Ozai, it was liberally used. Or the flashback when Azula told Zuko that his dad was going to kill him.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I dislike how Kuvira, a white earthbender, is treating all the black earthbenders. It's like Ferguson all over again. Who does she think she is, Captain Phillips?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ravane posted:

I dislike how Kuvira, a white earthbender, is treating all the black earthbenders. It's like Ferguson all over again. Who does she think she is, Captain Phillips?

It's pretty telling that you call the light-skinned woman in an east asian setting/influenced world white and not asian. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Don't you dare bring that Ferguson poo poo to this thread.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's not like we have anything else to discuss, giving this week's lackluster episode.

Would you rather talk about how much dick Nickelodeon sucks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

It's not like we have anything else to discuss, giving this week's lackluster episode.

Would you rather talk about how much dick Nickelodeon sucks?

I know this is a wild idea but you could just not post in the thread unless there is something to discuss. Perhaps post in one of the many other threads on the forums, some of which are in fact dedicated to the subject!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm not getting my hot takes on the ways in which the American justice system is horrifically hosed from the Korra thread I'm not getting them from anywhere.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

There was also Professor Zei's corpse in the second season of Korra.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I dunno how it's bringing in Ferguson poo poo by pointing out that calling characters in an asian setting white is probably wrong. :confused:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I dunno how it's bringing in Ferguson poo poo by pointing out that calling characters in an asian setting white is probably wrong. :confused:

Ravane posted:

It's like Ferguson all over again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm not getting my hot takes on the ways in which the American justice system is horrifically hosed from the Korra thread I'm not getting them from anywhere.
See this is the part where I'd close the thread, but noooo just keep this shitshow going.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I know this is a wild idea but you could just not post in the thread unless there is something to discuss.

Such as the different meanings of the word "kill," and other exciting linguistic topics?

But hey, don't let us ruin your TV immersion...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Here, let me redirect the conversation here...

What if Kuvira, get this... is right?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

She does have some good ideas.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Earth Nation for Earth Benders. :colbert:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kibayasu posted:

She does have some good ideas.
Hitler abhorred smoking and animal cruelty.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Say what you will about Kuvira, she kept the weird earth bending trains on time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Such as the different meanings of the word "kill," and other exciting linguistic topics?

But hey, don't let us ruin your TV immersion...

What the hell are you even on about?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Varrick's spirit weapon looks a lot like the blasts Vaatu's gave off when he fought Avatar Wan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jack Skeleton posted:

Say what you will about Kuvira, she kept the weird earth bending trains on time.
It's truly impressive that she managed to construct and maintain a railway that goes all across a nation that was in chaos.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think Asami did that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

With a legion of metalbenders, it should take a couple hours to get a railway up, really.

Manual labour in this universe is a lot easier when you move the labour with your fists.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

With a legion of metalbenders, it should take a couple hours to get a railway up, really.

Manual labour in this universe is a lot easier when you move the labour with your fists.

I mean, bending still is probably backbreaking labor. You try striking martial arts poses for hours on end and see if you're not tired by the end of it! Also there's probably some sort of mental strain involved with bending.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

nutranurse posted:

I mean, bending still is probably backbreaking labor. You try striking martial arts poses for hours on end and see if you're not tired by the end of it! Also there's probably some sort of mental strain involved with bending.

But after all this hard work, you can kick back and waterbend beer straight into your mouth. Or firebend some BBQ.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Probably Magic posted:

What if Kuvira, get this... is a lesbian?

We haven't had a discussion about the korrasami ship in a while, lets inject some fresh blood into the old classic :getin:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

RottenK posted:

We haven't had a discussion about the korrasami ship in a while, lets inject some fresh blood into the old classic :getin:

We've already had the Mako-Korra-Asami love triangle, maybe... maybe it's time for Korra-Asami-Kuvira, just a thought.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Why not Korra/Korra/Korra?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There are no whites, blacks, or asians in Korra. Look at their facial features. They are all just animes.

Regalingualius posted:

Why not Korra/Korra/Korra?

So am I the only one that thinks glowy-eyed Korra isn't actually just a PTSD manifestation and is actually Raava trying to tell her something?

Stupid crackpot theory that is thematically inappropriate and impossible to develop in the remaining episodes: Raava is tired of the Avatar cycle and wants Korra to lose while in the Avatar state so she can get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The Sharmat posted:

There are no whites, blacks, or asians in Korra. Look at their facial features. They are all just animes.

So am I the only one that thinks glowy-eyed Korra isn't actually just a PTSD manifestation and is actually Raava trying to tell her something?

Stupid crackpot theory that is thematically inappropriate and impossible to develop in the remaining episodes: Raava is tired of the Avatar cycle and wants Korra to lose while in the Avatar state so she can get the gently caress out.

Raava is suicidal?

• Locked thread