Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also I think the 'romance' option in 4 clarifies pretty definitively that she's an insane power-top.

I saw it as playing to the "It's always the quiet ones" stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

circ dick soleil posted:

Kinzie always creeped me out because it's pretty clear that she's been idealized by the developers, so it's weird that she's portrayed as an emotionally vulnerable teen. Her crippling social anxiety also seems to conflict with her apparent inability to ever refuse sex.

She had a proper job at the FBI -- I never thought of her as a teenager. She always seemed like an adult to me. :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kinzie is written by men, for men, in a power fantasy game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uh yeah, what the gently caress man. Kinzie's a vulnerable teenager? :catstare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

Kinzie is written by men, for men, in a power fantasy game.

hmm yes kinzie exists only as a sexual conquest for the boss because of all these sex scenes in the game she debuted in, not to mention the throwaway gag "romance" option designed purely as a pisstake toward mass effect 2 in a game all about pisstakes toward mass effect 2

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

hmm yes kinzie exists only as a sexual conquest for the boss because of all these sex scenes in the game she debuted in, not to mention the throwaway gag "romance" option designed purely as a pisstake toward mass effect 2 in a game all about pisstakes toward mass effect 2

Agreed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also I think the 'romance' option in 4 clarifies pretty definitively that she's an insane power-top.

I saw it as playing to the "It's always the quiet ones" stereotype.

Yeah, I didn't really see it as anything but this. She seemed to be playing to the edge of the weird, antisocial shut-in being into some freaky poo poo, which is... well, at least accurate. The internet's proved that much.

And of course she got a huge focus on that as writing continued, because of course it did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

She had a proper job at the FBI -- I never thought of her as a teenager. She always seemed like an adult to me. :shrug:

She seems like a girl version of the hacker manchild stereotype, if anything. Her high pitched voice probably contributes to making her seem more youthful than she actually is, and of course she's probably in too good shape for someone who sits in front of a computer all day, but that's about it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BOY I SURE AM GLAD WE CAN TALK ABOUT HOW PROBLEMATIC KINZIE IS

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
you're triggering me

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Don't really agree with Circ, but I do think it's fair to launch some criticisms. Kinzie is a bit pandering to the sort of people who obsess over Tali and the like. Though perhaps that might also be the joke.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

Don't really agree with Circ, but I do think it's fair to launch some criticisms. Kinzie is a bit pandering to the sort of people who obsess over Tali and the like. Though perhaps that might also be the joke.

Nah man video gaming is exempt from criticism

Because it's not art

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Krowley posted:

Nah man video gaming is exempt from criticism

Because it's not art

I agree with the second part, but not the first.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

The entire thing is a big joke at Mass Effect's expense. To call it pandering is taking SR way too seriously.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

When Saints Row 5 introduces Sambo, the pitch black African with ruby red lips, who runs around with the boss calling him Massa and throwing watermelons, we're actually laughing at the kind of people who would find that funny

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
What in the gently caress was that last post

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oddium posted:

When Saints Row 5 introduces Sambo, the pitch black African with ruby red lips, who runs around with the boss calling him Massa and throwing watermelons, we're actually laughing at the kind of people who would find that funny
Christmas time is nearly upon us and the Spirit of GBS Past is rattling its chains (of oppression)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

circ dick soleil posted:

Kinzie always creeped me out because it's pretty clear that she's been idealized by the developers, so it's weird that she's portrayed as an emotionally vulnerable teen. Her crippling social anxiety also seems to conflict with her apparent inability to ever refuse sex.
I don't think she has social anxiety. She's just antisocial. It's not that she'd like to spend time with people but is too nervous or whatever. I don't see where she's portrayed as emotionally vulnerable either. Or unable to refuse sex. :confused:

Mr Tastee posted:

Don't really agree with Circ, but I do think it's fair to launch some criticisms. Kinzie is a bit pandering to the sort of people who obsess over Tali and the like.
I thought that in SR3, but much less so in SR4. And she's far from the worst offender in SR3.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Christmas time is nearly upon us and the Spirit of GBS Past is rattling its chains (of oppression)

I want Jane Austen to narrate A Something Awful Carol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

circ dick soleil posted:

Did you really bump this thread just because I favorably compared SRIV to GTAV in the other games' thread, specifically citing the overt misogyny?

Why do you hate fun circ? Why do you hate fuuuun :emo:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Actually this is about ethics in video game sex portmanteaus

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GTA V is loving garbage for idiots.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Zaa Boogie posted:

What in the gently caress was that last post

Whenever an extremely retarded debate about social issues in video games starts up, there's a point in the script that they all follow to the letter where somebody posts something like "Wow, this is stupid" and then somebody else smugly shows up and starts posting some comically racist stuff, because they assume everybody else is also just wanting to post like that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kinzie was a character who pretty obviously was into sex from the beginning. She has giant dildos in her house in 3, and tells you her safeword without you even asking. She likes to gently caress, it ain't a difficult concept.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Kinzie is hilarious and you all are way overthinking it. Her quips about the kinect in SR3 destroyed me.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Uhm dudes chill the gently caress out ok?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wolfsheim posted:

Did you really bump this thread just because I favorably compared SRIV to GTAV in the other games' thread, specifically citing the overt misogyny?

Why do you hate fun circ? Why do you hate fuuuun :emo:

Oooooh this is getting good

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Turn back, thread, turn back!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I really like Zimos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just remember people. WWJGD?

It's simple.

He'd start shooting motherfuckers until everyone shut the hell up.

We should all aspire to be more like Johnny Gat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

New character for Gat out of Hell mentioned on Volition's tumblr: http://volition.tumblr.com/post/103724181152/happy-thanksgiving-saints-the-holidays-are-a

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://volition.tumblr.com/post/103556652752/meet-the-characters-of-saints-row-gat-out-of

oh my god

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:whoa:

Why can't I buy this thing yet?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Getting a bit Van Helsing The Movie The Game isn't it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Good to see Al Leong still getting work.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I know this might sound really weird, but would it be fair to consider The Boss to be nonbinary, i.e. they don't specifically identify as male or female? Normally I don't give those sorts of ideas much thought, but seeing as how they can just go into any plastic surgery place and change her physical gender, or he can go into just about any store and choose to wear whatever clothing they have for sale regardless of whether it's for men and women, it might actually be fairly plausible?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Mr Tastee posted:

I know this might sound really weird, but would it be fair to consider The Boss to be nonbinary, i.e. they don't specifically identify as male or female? Normally I don't give those sorts of ideas much thought, but seeing as how they can just go into any plastic surgery place and change her physical gender, or he can go into just about any store and choose to wear whatever clothing they have for sale regardless of whether it's for men and women, it might actually be fairly plausible?

:gas:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mr Tastee posted:

You really need to stop looking for some sort of deep meaning from a game that lets you beat an army of luchadors to death with a giant purple dildo.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I wasn't. It was more of a musing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mr Tastee posted:

The boss is You.

• Locked thread