Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I really want to make an R99 R&F post about how nobody that's new to the server gives any fucks at all about some year old server drama between a bunch of hardcore pixel queens, stop asking me if I side with Azrael or Holocaust because I really don't loving care

y u so rustled, u rmt nilly nuthugging nightrider firegiant

"lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

HEY VAPER posted:

Enchanters are good soloers, moreso for exp on blue than red (group exp bonus gives you no reason to solo ever if you're not a bard.) You might not be able to swarm down an entire zone at once like a bard, but once you're leveled up enchanters are the best soloers in the game, able to farm named mobs that other classes and some groups can't touch. If you want a strong soloer that can kill basically anything it feels like at 60, enchanter is the class. Only shamans come remotely close to their ability to solo.

Gonna be honest, as someone who played enchanter on live 15 years ago but never did much soloing (grouping too much fun), would you mind explaining? Is it just charm soloing? Because that always seemed very.. dangerous. Like it worked great then I'd gently caress up and die near-instantly and lose a ton of exp and get sad. Also I don't think they had pet commands in Kunark, making it more challenging. Was there another reliable way? Or how do you make charming more reliable so you dont get hosed by random breaks?

I keep thinking about getting into this but it would be a lot easier if I could do soloing when I cant find a group.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yep, it's charm soloing + their suite of skills that lets them deal with mobs to kill poo poo one at a time or get to places where they can do so (mez, lull, memblur, etc.). Also, having Runes is basically as good as/better than having heals assuming you are rich and give no fucks about burning peridots.

They have no pet commands for their own pets yes, but they always were able to command charmed mobs to do whatever. A combination of better knowledge, gear, and possibly charm working a bit better makes even stuff like soloing Drusella/Seb named/etc. not too tough for someone familiar with the class. Earlier in the server's history (pre-kunark) charm was basically broken-easy to use with super long duration and very predictable breaks and 50 encs could trivialize raid mobs with super buff charm pets, or charm GM NPCs in city zones and clean house for tons of vendor trash to the tune of 10k+ of raw plat/hour. It's been toned down quite a bit since then, but there's still occasional stuff that pops up (dictate on Sirran in sky). Currently, charm is still pretty amazing on Velious beta in zones like SG, DN, and Skyshrine. We'll have to see how stuff gets tuned before that gets released to see if Enc finally falls behind Shm for king of solo.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

Indecisive posted:

Gonna be honest, as someone who played enchanter on live 15 years ago but never did much soloing (grouping too much fun), would you mind explaining? Is it just charm soloing? Because that always seemed very.. dangerous. Like it worked great then I'd gently caress up and die near-instantly and lose a ton of exp and get sad. Also I don't think they had pet commands in Kunark, making it more challenging. Was there another reliable way? Or how do you make charming more reliable so you dont get hosed by random breaks?

I keep thinking about getting into this but it would be a lot easier if I could do soloing when I cant find a group.

Charm was/is incredibly powerful for enchanters in Kunark, particularly in Sebilis.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm thinking about transplanting my monk/shm to Kunark once I get done trolling EC for monk stuff. Is LOIO/FM/OT pretty popular? I did Faydwer on my other pair and don't really want to put up with Unrest and MM again
I gave Kunark a shot around level 35 and returned to the old world with a long face shortly after. Kunark mobs hit harder and have more hitpoints, and casters will wreck your rear end. LoIO was dead, WW was a dramafest about the giant fort, but OT is always crowded and you can undoubtedly find groups there (or solo if you can) at level 30-40.

Here was my Monk solo XP path, which you can of course also utilize even with a box to help:

1-15 (ish): Field of Bone newbie area/pit
15-20: Kurn's
20-23: Gnolls in the southwest corner of EK
- alternative: WC/EC bears, orcs and will-o-wisps for platinum and Lightstone quest XP
- alternative: Random SK mobs such as elephants, centaurs, aviaks, etc.
- alternative: Lake Rathe static aviak guards
23-28: Gargoyles in OOT, good platinum from the Gargoyle Eyes
28-35: Sisters in OOT, amazing platinum. As you level you can also kill the other wood elves and dwarves on the island
- alternative: giant skeletons in Rathe Mountains from level 28 to low 30's
35-40: South Karana / Paw; aviaks, gnolls, high-level centaurs in the south area (good 4 static spawns around hermit)
40+: SECRET SUPER DUPER XP SPOT! I'll tell you when I'm done with it.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Will sell his 40+ secret spot location for 10k.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Yeti's in DL from 40-45. Spectres til 48. Both easily fear kitable as a monk.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oggok Guards 43-49
Spectres in Ferrott 45-52

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

Oggok Guards 43-49
Spectres in Ferrott 45-52

Word.

So have you guys figured out where you want to move to guild-wise? I miss our big happy goon groups.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

News!

quote:

Starting on Friday, November 28th* and lasting until Monday, December 1st* we will be shutting down** the Project 1999 Blue*** Server to encourage a Forced Beta Test on the Velious Beta Server. We ask that all players spend their time on Beta to help complete as much testing and bug reporting as possible.

* Exact Start and End times are not known.
** The server itself may remain up to facilitate beta copies but will not be available for play.
*** The red server will remain open.

We plan to have a mechanism in place to perform a beta copy during this time but we recommend that you do a beta copy ahead of time anyways.

Thanks.

http://www.project1999.com/

Nice timing, I'm working overtime this weekend.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Pilsner posted:

News!

http://www.project1999.com/

Nice timing, I'm working overtime this weekend.

:allears:

Oh wow, i'm going to take a special dive into blue's RNF this evening.

Also, thank you pwnz0r (or again, your brother) for talking me into selling my NoS for 30k. I expect this announcement will cause market prices for a lot of items to absolutely plummet. Sell your poo poo if you're sitting on it!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Hah. I'm still not playing on Red.

Guess I'll have to buy Far Cry 4 for this weekend.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

MooselanderII posted:

So have you guys figured out where you want to move to guild-wise? I miss our big happy goon groups.

As per the last few posts in this thread I've made, I'm moving to God's Work once I am online and in contact with the names pwnz0r posted. I've been slightly busy the past couple days, but I'll be online this week and pushing to 60.

If neckbearding with a bunch of fat nerds sounds like your kind of a fun 7 day a week thing, they may be the nerds for you. Recruitment to God's Work is not at all something I'm familiar with the openness of, but pwnz0r / agatha / push / jupe has made it clear if a goon wants in, is 50+, they should speak to him about it.

I'm not making this decision for all the Red goons, because frankly you've followed me to EL for 2 weeks, only to watch it literally lose every single officer save for the GL. I'm deciding to go to GW since it sounds like something I'd enjoy, but I realize that may not be the popular opinion due to them having a bit more 'be endgame ready' requirements.

I'm not really interested in leading version 2 of SLAMDUNKATRON the leveling guild, and I know a few people still need that so I don't want you to feel forced to join another endgame guild, this one with more strict recruitment than EL.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Just got a new HD and video card, will be back up and rolling late nights on Red with Skullmonkey, 39 cleric. Let's get some exp.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
If they're stress testing velious that's a pretty good indicator

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Thanks dude, that's awesomely helpful. Is OoT not permacamped? Any time I slowboat it across that zone there's always 8+ people in OOC bitching at each other

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Just created a newbie bard on red

Horrible idea?

Any help out there?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

KingFisher posted:

Horrible idea?

Any help out there?

Where? I've got a good amount of stuff for you.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I really want to log on beta this weekend and harass the poo poo out of people but I'll probably be busy with family holiday stuff. And yes, like onesixtwo mentioned, if you haven't liquidated your price-soon-to-be-taking-a-nosedive poo poo, do it now: NoS (WW dragon talismans), DHB/DBB/GB/HCB (Bracer of Benevolence), Sarnak-hide Leggings (Oiled Greaves, Kromriff Military Leggings), Iksar Hide Boots (Barbed Dragonscale Boots), any wis-caster range item (Talisman of Benevolence), any high level rare spells you might be sitting on (drop rate is much better in Velious), GEBs (yeah they're already cheap but Coldain Skin Boots are easier to get and will destroy the market even more), Diamondine Earrings (ditto with Orc Fang Earring), any platinum jewelry that you intend to upgrade to Velium, and for some people dumping your Tranix crown would be smart as well (more guilds will be doing VP for Riles plus there's tons of resist hat upgrades in Velious). That's just off the top of my head, but almost all kunark/vanilla items are going to have much lower demand once Velious is out. Fungi is the notable big item that's an exception as it's super useful in Velious both for raiding and high level solo questing/faction grinding.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
While GW is recruiting, We aren't so much crazy open door recruiting anything that moves like Holocaust is. A lot of the original core members of god's work are made up of ex nihilum and most are best in slot geared on mains, with decked out alt 60s and pvp chars 40-55 etc etc made from boredom and partially due to the giant exp boost currently in game. So while some of us are end game geared, that doesn't mean were going to deny someone new. Someone apping with rags for gear means nothing, it can be gained pretty quickly. Right now we are focusing on groups of players and taking it in small steps so we can build on the dozen or so people instead of 40 random people asking for help and getting no reply because everyones exhausted. Nihilum used to mass recruit everyone and anyone, and if we recruited 30 people, 10 would have made it through the first 2-3 weeks and 6-7 would have became casual raiders that logged in once a week on respawn(loots) days only. There is nothing wrong with having extra casuals to pop on for that type of stuff, but bosses are spread mostly across the week now. No longer can you pop in and have all of VP + world bosses down within 4-5 hours and be done for the week.

Holocaust is currently still recruiting pretty much everyone who applies, The main problem they are already starting to face and the eventual reason why they will fail is partly because of loot whores with some azeroth mixed in there. They have way too many members to feed and keep happy, which is why initially they started giving end game VP loot like PD robe, earring, sow swords and such to players who had literally just entered VP for the first time. I would even go so far as to say some of the officers/leaders saw it coming already hence the incident with breaking the word and losing the alliance we had. Holocaust does not have a 24/7 presence, They can't even form exp groups properly. They have no one to take charge during the day, 2 of the officers are currently off in azeroth land, another is quitting because of recent mishaps with account stripping. The rest login only for raids and log out immediately afterwards leaving all the new players and members to fend for themselves knowing full well they will RARELY be able to get any type of steady exp gains to 60 while they are being hunted down by us.

Don't get me wrong though, if you want to try and snag some quick loot and you can put in some time/effort to make them notice you(especially clerics which they are lacking hard on, more so vp keyed ones) it might still be possible. I know they are trying to 'hold' things in the 'guildbank' or loot epic MQ items on officers/leaders now instead of outright awarding them to a player there in fear person will run off after getting it(one person already did get a soul leech and run back to blue, but in reality its more likely it won't be quested anytime soon leading to it getting blackholed by the officer who looted it) Only reason stuff like that worked in nihilum was because every officer, every vet member and most of the top raiders had killed the bosses so many times that guts, soul leeches, inny/vs stones, a few gnarled staves and other epic MQ items just stacked up lore over time and to make it convenient to MQ for newly made members.

Yevea let me know when your back around and we can get you tagged, I think we got Macca some guts/scales for his epic ready and hes just finishing up the other parts now. Going to be nice having some active bards around for sure though, Means our other members can play their mains instead of swapping to bards for the must have resist songs. All in all we are taking it slowly, letting holo implode from the inside and giving them nudges here and there via pvp. We may have ported up and wiped them in hate and stole inny out from under 40+ of them but that was mostly surprise on our side and lotta afk pixel leechers on theirs.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

Where? I've got a good amount of stuff for you.

my characters name is Leut.

I am in Qeynos now, I will be on tonight say 9:30 PST

Thanks!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

KingFisher posted:

Thanks!

ugh qeynos!

Alright, I should be around then. /friend Fizzpop Yevea and Jovial. I'll be on one of those three, likely the first two. I'll at the very least get you set up with a real weapon, and some banded + whatever else I can throw together.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Just got a new HD and video card, will be back up and rolling late nights on Red with Skullmonkey, 39 cleric. Let's get some exp.

My bard's 40, post when you're online and I'll check the thread.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

KingFisher posted:

Horrible idea?

Any help out there?

Bards own but they're not for everyone. I have a sainy's claw sitting in my bank if you need a decent starter weapon.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

HEY VAPER posted:

Bards own but they're not for everyone. I have a sainy's claw sitting in my bank if you need a decent starter weapon.

shutup hardon he's mine to offload a claw on

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

Thanks dude, that's awesomely helpful. Is OoT not permacamped? Any time I slowboat it across that zone there's always 8+ people in OOC bitching at each other
The seafuries and AC seem to be (with ooc bitching), sisters (the two that drop a Long Sword) are camped fairly often (or at least were during the week or so I was killing them), but you can always resort to killing the other elves and dwarves on the island and ask to take over the sister camp when the guy there is done. If you can't vendor at the nearby merchants (wood elf, dwarf or the high elf on the AC island - either with faction or by Sneaking) the Long Sword drops are kinda pointless anyway and the other elves are just as good xp.

Gargoyles are not that heavily camped, but a known popular spot for sure.

Geckokhan
Jun 8, 2009
I just started a newbie druid on Red also.

Any help or advice on where to level?

Geckokhan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2014

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I guess I'm gonna come over to GW too. Agatha let's try to hook up in the next few days.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

onesixtwo posted:

shutup hardon he's mine to offload a claw on

Get on, I need someone to exp with.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

The seafuries and AC seem to be (with ooc bitching), sisters (the two that drop a Long Sword) are camped fairly often (or at least were during the week or so I was killing them), but you can always resort to killing the other elves and dwarves on the island and ask to take over the sister camp when the guy there is done. If you can't vendor at the nearby merchants (wood elf, dwarf or the high elf on the AC island - either with faction or by Sneaking) the Long Sword drops are kinda pointless anyway and the other elves are just as good xp.

Gargoyles are not that heavily camped, but a known popular spot for sure.

Just had it rather sadly reminded to me that Enchanters blow goat rear end in Velious, so I'm about to liquidate her and just swap to the monk/shm fulltime, guess I'll head to OoT and give her a try :v:

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

KingFisher posted:

Thanks!

If you ever find yourself in OT or FV and don't have something better by then, I have a Lambent Breastplate I can give you, plus a couple items with HP boosts. Let me know on Stabbity and I can log over and hand em off.

On that note, I'll be on Stab this weekend if anyone in the 40's wants a rogue. The semester is ending soon so I'll have more time to waste on pixel quest. Also I was hoping to ask of one of the GW members what their policy is on people in foreign time zones? I would like to join a guild like GW (because I'm a masochist) but I would think living in JST would convince them to turn me down.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Heres a simple question that I'm having a hard time finding answers for: if I just started a semi-twinked monk and I have a Trance stick is it better to wield that and plain fists? Or try to find a H2H to dual wield with the Trance stick?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Hexel posted:

Heres a simple question that I'm having a hard time finding answers for: if I just started a semi-twinked monk and I have a Trance stick is it better to wield that and plain fists? Or try to find a H2H to dual wield with the Trance stick?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Monk#Hand_to_Hand_Damage.2FDelay

There are no h2h weapons on p99. Your best off either getting 2x trance sticks, or a Quivering Staff / Peacebringer, depending on how much plat you have to twink with.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Monk#Hand_to_Hand_Damage.2FDelay

There are no h2h weapons on p99. Your best off either getting 2x trance sticks, or a Quivering Staff / Peacebringer, depending on how much plat you have to twink with.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for thanks.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Hexel posted:

At lower levels, your dual wield skill is so low that your offhand basically doesn't matter. That's why the 2hb Quivering Staff (same price as a single trance stick) after level 20 is far better dps than dual Trance Sticks. I just got done baby-twinking my monk and picked up the following:

-1x Trance Stick (175pp) for mainhand. Use this until 20, then use it after to keep 1hb up to skill. Leaving offhand bare at low levels helps keep h2h skill up and doesn't really impact your dps regardless, since a 2nd trance stick or even a jade mace + trance stick is gonna be lower dps than the 2hb option and barely better than just leaving the offhand bare.
-1x Wu's Quivering Staff (200pp) 2hb - use it when you can 1-20 to keep 2hb up, use it as your primary weapon 20+ for a longass time, it shits all over 2x Trance Sticks and I would almost guarantee even a pair of jade maces.
-Set of Cured Silk - this is fine until you can hit up Dalnir or something.
- 5/55 rings - SUPER worth the 400p for the pair, buy these before anything except weapons.

Weapon upgrades later basically just save up for 2x Stave of Shielding, they're 1.5-2k each right now which is dirt loving cheap. Dmg bonus is basically useless at lower levels and doesn't make up for the awesome ratio on those two. Eventually 55+ if you're not planning on getting your epic, swap the primary SoS out for an Adamantite Club.

If you're mostly soloing, you're better off upgrading the 2Her due to riposte mechanics, so you'd be looking at Quivering > Peacebringer or IFS. Peacebringer goes for 3k and IFS goes for like 8-10k, not sure why the gently caress because they're really close functionally.

Make sure you save/acquire haste ASAP. FBSS is still 8k or so though :(

Endgame you want Epic primary, SoS offhand, Tstaff 2hb, but even that changes soon once Velious releases.

Hope this helps! I think it's all 100% but Pilsner can double check me for sure.

Edit - I guess being stuck in Kunark for so long drives prices into the ground. Hooked the Shaman up for 800p

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 26, 2014

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe
Btw newbie bard running around near qeynos if any of you cool dudes are around.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Got to play someone's VP geared monk last night and holy hell, are Monks fun! In some ways I wish I had rolled one over rogue as their duo/trio utility is so good...but I just love my rogue too much.
Can't wait to see how they handle this weekend, hopefully more beta firsts! ;)

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

Got to play someone's VP geared monk last night and holy hell, are Monks fun! In some ways I wish I had rolled one over rogue as their duo/trio utility is so good...but I just love my rogue too much.
Can't wait to see how they handle this weekend, hopefully more beta firsts! ;)

I love my rogue but I get to play Bugen and his toons occasionally. I cannot effing wait for Velious and cool group trios.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
Having a vp rogue and monk is pretty sweet, I keyed my rogue first and for the longest time I always missed out on getting to run around FDing and pulling poo poo and being able to pvp openly without dying each time. Soon as my monk got keyed, its like a whole different world being able to flop around and fight people. Tossing javs at people who are running invis past mobs only to watch them die once invis broke pretty fun. Better yet, break invis pop duelist and snag the killshot with a 600 shuriken dmg hit. The one thing I regret about P99 is I didn't start early enough to have any guised or pots bound characters, Ny brother did but quit just as kunark came out so 0 pot bound characters. If there is one thing I value almost as much as free sows on my rogue, It is having access to a friends pot bound druid/cleric.

Velious will be interesting if its ever released, I know on red itll be much easier to get some things done and harder for other things. Stormfeather should be fun.... Looking forward to half the server druid population being bound there for the first 2-3 months. Gotta admit I am not as familiar with velious since I stopped playing previous emus(VZTZ boxs) before velious came out on each one. But I know hybrids become pretty sick in terms of dmg, heal over time paladins etc. I really just want the chardok revamp though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Pwnz0r posted:

Having a vp rogue and monk is pretty sweet, I keyed my rogue first and for the longest time I always missed out on getting to run around FDing and pulling poo poo and being able to pvp openly without dying each time. Soon as my monk got keyed, its like a whole different world being able to flop around and fight people. Tossing javs at people who are running invis past mobs only to watch them die once invis broke pretty fun. Better yet, break invis pop duelist and snag the killshot with a 600 shuriken dmg hit. The one thing I regret about P99 is I didn't start early enough to have any guised or pots bound characters, Ny brother did but quit just as kunark came out so 0 pot bound characters. If there is one thing I value almost as much as free sows on my rogue, It is having access to a friends pot bound druid/cleric.

Velious will be interesting if its ever released, I know on red itll be much easier to get some things done and harder for other things. Stormfeather should be fun.... Looking forward to half the server druid population being bound there for the first 2-3 months. Gotta admit I am not as familiar with velious since I stopped playing previous emus(VZTZ boxs) before velious came out on each one. But I know hybrids become pretty sick in terms of dmg, heal over time paladins etc. I really just want the chardok revamp though.

Yo let's meet up today and get me tagged over. I was on the fence but with Velious around the corner (they're forcing stress test for a reason, it means they're ready to go almost) I want to be in a tag that can actually raid Velious. EL has had two or three raid nights in a row that got called off to do exp, they aren't even close to being able to do Chardok royals nevermind anything past that. Similar to Yevea except in live instead of on red, I spent a lot of time growing a family/leveling guild and always raiding two or three tiers behind and that's just not the experience I'm looking for this time around. So if GW will still have me I'm ready to go.

• Locked thread