Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
My biggest question is whether or not the aftercredits scene was a giant bombshell or misdirection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpikeMcclane posted:

My biggest question is whether or not the aftercredits scene was a giant bombshell or misdirection.

It'll be him pulling a big-rear end super move :nallears:. We've seen what it looks like when a Gunpla's hosed beyond hope plenty of times (big-rear end CAUTION and WARNING signs plastered over the booth walls), and it's not that.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im guessing this will be the case once they are in the proper regionals. I still believe they'll lose this coming match though.

Uh... these are the proper regionals. They're in the junior bracket of the West Tokyo regional tournament.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gyanko's newtype death scene was hilarious. Sad to see she had to get chumped to make the Mega-Shiki threatening though.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I was talking about the part with Al referring to Akira as "the Sleggar."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well.

The positives are that the characters who are not the Try Team are getting personalities and are pretty fun! It is kinda telling the best parts of this episode were G-Master and Team Song Vase. They even had better facial expressions and were more animated. Sakai is still Mao 2.0 though. The fight was also awesomely well-animated. Even if it was kind of a rout, it at least looked good. Yet about 3 to 0 loss though.

The downsides are that holy poo poo the Try Fighters Team is just the worst. Oh look, Sekai has absolutely no battle damage from last week. Oh look, they won by once again using the exact same strategy, right down to Sekai ignoring their strategy. Oh look, their first Mobile Armor battle was basically a non-effort, devaluing all the time put into building up mobile armors as something dangerous. Winning Knuckle/Winning Launcher get used right away and just are a win button. Taking Gunpla Battle super-duper over-seriously compared to the G-Master guys who appear to be having fun and enjoying themselves. I think the bulk of my problem with this show revolves around the fact our protagonist team is just not very good. It really stood out during the 'date' scene where Sekai was the person in the room with the least personality.

As for the post-credit stinger is the plot seriously going to be that Allen is involved in creating mass produced Gundam characters or something?

I second that the V Gundam custom is the best one in the show so far though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 26, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpikeMcclane posted:

I was talking about the part with Al referring to Akira as "the Sleggar."

Ah, whoops :v:.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Gyanko's newtype death scene was hilarious. Sad to see she had to get chumped to make the Mega-Shiki threatening though.

At least she went out fighting with a pretty valiant effort, considering it was three-on-one, rather than just getting chumped.

ImpAtom posted:

The downsides are that holy poo poo the Try Fighters Team is just the worst. Oh look, Sekai has absolutely no battle damage from last week. Oh look, they won by once again using the exact same strategy, right down to Sekai ignoring their strategy. Oh look, their first Mobile Armor battle was basically a non-effort, devaluing all the time put into building up mobile armors as something dangerous. Winning Knuckle/Winning Launcher get used right away and just are a win button. Taking Gunpla Battle super-duper over-seriously compared to the G-Master guys who appear to be having fun and enjoying themselves. I think the bulk of my problem with this show revolves around the fact our protagonist team is just not very good. It really stood out during the 'date' scene where Sekai was the person in the room with the least personality.

Sekai actually did listen to the strategy. What ticked Yuuma off was he launched hard and spun the Lightning.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well after watching the fight I still have absolutely no idea what ferrying the BB on the back of the Lightning was supposed to accomplish.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the Xam really a mobile armor? Granted, the only time I saw it was in 0083 where it was piloted by one guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sekai actually did listen to the strategy. What ticked Yuuma off was he launched hard and spun the Lightning.

That's what I mean. The first thing he did was ignore his teammate's condition. It's a minor part of it but it just continues to emphasize the general lack of teamwork they have and how Sekai's rear end is basically being carried, (quite literally in that scene!)

Tae posted:

Is the Xam really a mobile armor? Granted, the only time I saw it was in 0083 where it was piloted by one guy.

The Xamel is a mobile armor, yep. It actually isn't traditional for MAs to be multi-man piloted. It's a rule specifically for Gunpla Battle Try.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... these are the proper regionals. They're in the junior bracket of the West Tokyo regional tournament.

I dont know how the tournament structure is though. Like western tokyo is just a part of the region of kanto. You'd think they'd eventually have a fight between the top members of the kanto region to determine who moves to the nationals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Build Burning and the Mega Shiki are kind of rubbing me the wrong way because they seem to go against the spirit of the show and the Simon episode really made it stand out. Simon's suit being a snap-fit pile of garbage yet still fighting Sekai to a standstill made it feel like Sekai won because he totally lucked into finding a god-tier super gunpla for free rather than because he actually beat Simon out, and now this week we have the Mega Shiki blowing up Gyanko's partner in one shot from extreme range and then slicing her previously invulnerable painstakingly hand-crafted shields to pieces with super beam sabers with no effort. It doesn't feel like Mega Shiki guy actually earned his win, it feels like he had a full wallet and literally paid to win by commissioning an overpowered mobile suit from a master builder.

Basically I'm getting Beginning 30 vibes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Well after watching the fight I still have absolutely no idea what ferrying the BB on the back of the Lightning was supposed to accomplish.

The Build Burning's really not built for space combat and not actually all that fast :shrug:. It gets going once it's pulling a move, but just jetting around it didn't look much better than any other typical UC Mobile Suit. The Lightning gives it something to kick off of and get it into the fight without being left behind the far faster Winning and Lightning Gundams when they're hauling rear end in their transformed states.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The Build Burning and the Mega Shiki are kind of rubbing me the wrong way because they seem to go against the spirit of the show and the Simon episode really made it stand out. Simon's suit being a snap-fit pile of garbage yet still fighting Sekai to a standstill made it feel like Sekai won because he lucked into a god-tier super gunpla rather than because he actually beat Simon out, and now this week we have the Mega Shiki blowing up Gyanko's partner in one shot from extreme range and then slicing her previously invulnerable painstakingly hand-crafted shields to pieces with super beam sabers with no effort. It doesn't feel like Mega Shiki guy actually earned his win, it feels like he had a full wallet and commissioned his win from Sakai for cash money.

Basically I'm getting Beginning 30 vibes.

The "battle damage levels" thing really seems to be an excuse to write around the fact that people aren't building/repairing their own models, yeah. It's pretty lame, especially because it seems to go out the window when they decide otherwise. (Why was the Zeo Zeong torn to pieces? Why not fight at a low-damage model level? Oh, right, because we want the dramatic shot of it torn to pieces.)

And it's a shame because "I didn't build my own model and now I'm right hosed" would be an interesting plot point. Maybe even one they'll hit later on, but they're using pretty cheap scripting outs to avoid having to deal with it before they want to while still getting things like last week's Destiny battle. I wonder if they'll remember it next week or if Gyanko's machine is going to be mysteriously damaged and have a wrecked shield.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Build Burning's really not built for space combat and not actually all that fast :shrug:. It gets going once it's pulling a move, but just jetting around it didn't look much better than any other typical UC Mobile Suit. The Lightning gives it something to kick off of and get it into the fight without being left behind the far faster Winning and Lightning Gundams when they're hauling rear end in their transformed states.

He can kick off space though for high mobility. He even does it this episode. (Which was something I'm glad they remembered actually! It was a nice touch )

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 26, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

And it's a shame because "I didn't build my own model and now I'm right hosed" would be an interesting plot point. Maybe even one they'll hit later on, but they're using pretty cheap scripting outs to avoid having to deal with it before they want to while still getting things like last week's Destiny battle. I wonder if they'll remember it next week or if Gyanko's machine is going to be mysteriously damaged and have a wrecked shield.

I'm hoping that beyond regionals the damage level will be A, there's no way they won't crank it up later. Getting torn up in A damage level seems like a good enough reason to justify a mid season upgrade for Sekai honestly.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So nobody's going to talk about G-U-N, P-L-A? Was that a new track for the fight this episode?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

He can kick off space though for high mobility. He even does it this episode.

Yeah, but no real way to actually make use of that mobility. It's space; once he's kicked off he's either going in that direction indefinitely or stopping. That's it. So they carried him into the fight, had him kick off the Lightning to get clear enough to grab the Winning Knuckle, then use the thrusters on that to swing back in to punch :shrug:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but no real way to actually make use of that mobility. It's space; once he's kicked off he's either going in that direction indefinitely or stopping. That's it. So they carried him into the fight, had him kick off the Lightning to get clear enough to grab the Winning Knuckle, then use the thrusters on that to swing back in to punch :shrug:.

He kicks off repeatedly in the same direction for higher mobility in the episode that technique is debuted in, as well as kicks off in alternate directions to dodge attacks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That opening sequence with Sakai gave him way more personality than anything done in prior episodes, haha. More little things like that could really go a long way in helping the show out.

Seconding the opinion that Sekai is just a hella lame protagonist though. Dude is just boring and one dimensional and it's really starting to become grating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

He kicks off repeatedly in the same direction for higher mobility in the episode that technique is debuted in, as well as kicks off in alternate directions to dodge attacks.

Yeah and once he's going, he's going. A small side-step's not the same as a sharp turn, and the only reason he stopped was he kicked his opponent into a wrecked ship.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm starting to think that the show's writer has a tragic condition where if he writes a team battle that isn't a clean sweep or a forced 1v1 he will literally die irl.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gyanko using eyedrops to fake tears was the best part of this episode.

Well, everything Gyanko is the best of the episodes she appears in honestly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Well, everything Gyanko is the best of the episodes she appears in honestly.

Sekai face was pretty high up there. But Gyanko's antics were better simply because of the higher volume of them.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

AfroSquirrel posted:

I don't know, seeing Laura Rolla in the crowd of Gundam gals in the opening scene was pretty great.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I don't know, seeing Laura Rolla in the crowd of Gundam gals in the opening scene was pretty great.

That opening sequence had the best gags. Laura Rolla showing up a second after introducing Sakai's Brave Gundam (Obari Yuusha Pose and all) basically cemented for me that I was in for a good episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah and once he's going, he's going. A small side-step's not the same as a sharp turn, and the only reason he stopped was he kicked his opponent into a wrecked ship.

He does sudden sharp turns in this episode, you see it when he's going for the Winning Knuckle.

I mean the answer for why they did it is "they wanted to do the Sekai joke" which is fine, but it pretty much is why they did it.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sekai face was pretty high up there. But Gyanko's antics were better simply because of the higher volume of them.

Sekai should be drawn like that normally.

I was also impressed at the obscurity of some of the references there. They had Aisha from Gundam SEED who even the show itself forgets.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 26, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One day there will actually be a team fight thats cool and good because its not a simple clean sweep.

Today is not that day.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This episode basically cemented that Try needs to have more of its non-serious characters like Sakai and Gyanko and less of its actual protagonists, who are bland and frankly haven't really done anything noteworthy. I think it's pretty true that it feels like most battles this season haven't come down to skill so much as just build quality, and I wonder if that's the result of a strained animation budget due to two shows running this season forcing them to be less ambitious in their plans for fights.

The sooner these regional qualifiers end, the better, at any rate.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 26, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sunrise has a fair amount of internal studios so I think the animation issue is time more than anything else.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

This episode basically cemented that Try needs to have more of its non-serious characters like Sakai and Gyanko and less of its actual protagonists, who are bland and frankly haven't really done anything noteworthy. I think it's pretty true that it feels like most battles this season haven't come down to skill so much as just build quality, and I wonder if that's the result of a strained animation budget due to two shows running this season forcing them to be less ambitious in their plans for fights.

Theres 3 actually, don't forget about Cross Ange.

And it hasn't stopped Greco from having really strong combat scenes through its use of good composition and framing, along with nice vibrant backgrounds.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A bigger problem is that the show so far isn't really good at handling tension, you know the protagonists are almost always going to win, and the enemies almost always lose, but there are simple things you can do to make sure that it's still very interesting and create doubt in the viewers mind.

Here's a thing: Instead of being chumped and gundam murdered, why couldn't Gyanko take down at least one of the GMaster people first? If the intention is to show them as a dangerous threat they already succeeded with the taking out of Gyanko's teammate and the reactions from both Yuuma and Sekai. Gyanko recovering from their loss and bringing the fight back to them for at least a short while would have been a good way to introduce more tension into that fight, but it fizzled out very quickly instead.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I really liked the interactions this episode. Sekai and Gyanko's "date" was funny, and I liked that Fumina was pretty nonplussed over Sekai cheering her up, then checked up on him just to see if things were all right. Haha, Sakai wins the modeling championship in his dream with a TRY Zeta. :smug:

Fight was a foregone conclusion, sadly, but can't say I expected Kung-fu G-Fighter. Also hah, Sleggar using a G-Fighter, of course. And if I'm not mistaken, the Mega-Shiki's beam sabers are actually the Crossbone's Beam Zanbers, that's an interesting touch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

A bigger problem is that the show so far isn't really good at handling tension, you know the protagonists are almost always going to win, and the enemies almost always lose, but there are simple things you can do to make sure that it's still very interesting and create doubt in the viewers mind.

Here's a thing: Instead of being chumped and gundam murdered, why couldn't Gyanko take down at least one of the GMaster people first? If the intention is to show them as a dangerous threat they already succeeded with the taking out of Gyanko's teammate and the reactions from both Yuuma and Sekai. Gyanko recovering from their loss and bringing the fight back to them for at least a short while would have been a good way to introduce more tension into that fight, but it fizzled out very quickly instead.

Yeah, it would have been great if Gyanko could have at least taken down the guy who her brother beat. It would feel like she put up as good a fight as possible and taking down the only opponent that had relevance to her character would have been nice. The outcome would be the same but it would a nice minor victory for Gyanko in that she could say she was able to accomplish something that her brother was able to. Instead it's just a lengthy setup to build up not-Sleggar as a threat and to just throw her to the sidelines.

But that's just another issue, the show actively refuses to have close teamfights and just opts for 3-0 sweeps unless it's specifically to set up a 1 on 1 battle. We're a third of the way into the show and it has yet to implement the season's gimmick well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

/m/ seems to take it as fact that Kuroda was the first one to start complaining about the 3v3 format being hard to make work, but I can't find sources on that.

Edit: Also they kinda lampshaded the fact that the team is Gyanko + 2 warm bodies, which doesn't really make it better, but they're generally pretty funny whenever they get screetime.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Yeah, it would have been great if Gyanko could have at least taken down the guy who her brother beat.

Oh you mean the leader of the team that's being set up as hella good that team Try Fighters has to fight next episode? I agree, the relatively minor supporting character should have beaten him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Oh you mean the leader of the team that's being set up as hella good that team Try Fighters has to fight next episode? I agree, the relatively minor supporting character should have beaten him.

Eh, this fight was more showing off the Mega-Shiki than any of Sudou's piloting skills.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Would definitely be better than another dull 3-0 fight yeah! Plus not-Sleggar is clearly meant to be the real threat here.

Pureauthor posted:

/m/ seems to take it as fact that Kuroda was the first one to start complaining about the 3v3 format being hard to make work, but I can't find sources on that.

Edit: Also they kinda lampshaded the fact that the team is Gyanko + 2 warm bodies, which doesn't really make it better, but they're generally pretty funny whenever they get screetime.

I guess I could buy that but at the same time it feels like he hasn't even tried to put in teamwork, outside of dispensing upgrades. I could give him the benefit of the doubt since it is a lot harder to write than 1 on 1 duels if it felt like he was putting in some more effort!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
3v3 fights turning into sweeps isn't actually a strange thing, but the reason why hasn't actually happened in this show. If all people team up into individual 1v1s, which isn't unlikely, the first one to go down opens up their opponent to help one of their allies, turning it into a 2v1 and a 1v1. Of course, this would be under the assumption that each suit didn't go down in the first attack, which is what seems to happen most of the time in this.

edit:

Except that nothing in that episode showed any piloting talent at all on his part. It was all the OPness of his model being shown off. It doesn't take great skill to fire your super gun at someone outside of the range they thought you could shoot, and then he just cut through the shields of the final suit, showing that his model is superior to everything!

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 26, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Would definitely be better than another dull 3-0 fight yeah! Plus not-Sleggar is clearly meant to be the real threat here.

Whoosh

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

3v3 fights turning into sweeps isn't actually a strange thing, but the reason why hasn't actually happened in this show. If all people team up into individual 1v1s, which isn't unlikely, the first one to go down opens up their opponent to help one of their allies, turning it into a 2v1 and a 1v1. Of course, this would be under the assumption that each suit didn't go down in the first attack, which is what seems to happen most of the time in this.

Yeah I'd be fine with some of the clean sweeps if that was the case. It's really convenient that when they all split up into individual battles they all finish their fights at the same time :v:

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except that nothing in that episode showed any piloting talent at all on his part. It was all the OPness of his model being shown off. It doesn't take great skill to fire your super gun at someone outside of the range they thought you could shoot, and then he just cut through the shields of the final suit, showing that his model is superior to everything!

Pretty much! Dude literally paid to win. Commentary on current trends in video games!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It didn't really hit me that there's characters named both Sekai and Sakai. This makes the thread make a whole lot more sense, and also means I've been calling Sekai by the wrong name for half the season. :v:

• Locked thread