Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first Episode VII trailer is out this weekened. It's a pity George Lucas isn't involved, because even if the prequels weren't as strong, their trailers always made me really eager to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I still have pretty high hopes, because A) John Williams actually composed and recorded a new piece just for this, and B) JJ knows how to cut a trailer

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Cross-Section posted:

I still have pretty high hopes, because A) John Williams actually composed and recorded a new piece just for this, and B) JJ knows how to cut a trailer

Leaked Episode VII trailer here cut as you say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And like other fan-favorite Star Wars trailers, Blackstar Warrior's trailer holds the distinction of being way, way better than the actual (fan) film itself.

edit: And also on the topic of really awesome fan-made trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmTpOQrqoO0

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 27, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Here's a fake trailer that got a few people worked up on my Facebook feed. Funny thing is the CG is pretty impressive - if it's lifted from fanfilms I'd like to know which ones, if just to watch crazy spaceship battles.

http://youtu.be/plwVRYEQG_I

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wait, there's an actual Blackstar Warrior fanfilm, not just a trailer?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Here's a fake trailer that got a few people worked up on my Facebook feed. Funny thing is the CG is pretty impressive - if it's lifted from fanfilms I'd like to know which ones, if just to watch crazy spaceship battles.

http://youtu.be/plwVRYEQG_I

Yeah, that bit with the Falcon flying into battle against the Star Destroyer and then the Mon Cal cruiser getting blown up was pretty cool, I'd like to see a source on that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wait, there's an actual Blackstar Warrior fanfilm, not just a trailer?

And more shockingly, It wasn't good?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

"Wasn't good" is probably too harsh, though it is obvious looking back that they shoved all of the best moments of the film into the trailer. Leaves the rest of the movie feeling a bit deflated. :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 27, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The answer to that then is they have to do a Lando mini series.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh, we'll definitely be hearing from him again, that's for sure. :)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cross-Section posted:

Oh, we'll definitely be hearing from him again, that's for sure. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0U1EnuNro&t=152s

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I have a credit just sorta hanging around on Audible. I wanna buy a Star Wars book with it. My favorite Star Wars book is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter because it's not a "THE ENTIRE GALAXY IS IN PERIL ONLY LUKE LEIA AND HAN CAN SAVE US" book. It's really focued on more personal events. Death Troopers was pretty good too. What should I get with my credit?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

-Fish- posted:

I have a credit just sorta hanging around on Audible. I wanna buy a Star Wars book with it. My favorite Star Wars book is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter because it's not a "THE ENTIRE GALAXY IS IN PERIL ONLY LUKE LEIA AND HAN CAN SAVE US" book. It's really focued on more personal events. Death Troopers was pretty good too. What should I get with my credit?
The first Coruscant Nights book. Also the rest of the Coruscant Nights books.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Kenobi is pretty baller. I would go with that.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Darth Plagueis is also pretty good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If you want a book that focuses heavily on the personal, Traitor and Shatterpoint are probably the best examples.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
I'd definitely go with Kenobi. It's the only one that really embraces the gamble on a smaller-scale, more human/character less high-stakes-focused story (and it pays off through JJM's great execution). Traitor and Shatterpoint are some of the best SW novels out there, but while they are self-contained stories and have a lot of philosophic and personal stuff going on, they still feel pretty familiarly epic.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Megachile posted:

I'd definitely go with Kenobi. It's the only one that really embraces the gamble on a smaller-scale, more human/character less high-stakes-focused story (and it pays off through JJM's great execution). Traitor and Shatterpoint are some of the best SW novels out there, but while they are self-contained stories and have a lot of philosophic and personal stuff going on, they still feel pretty familiarly epic.

Kenobi it is, adding Traitor and Shatterpoint to wishlist though.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

If you want a book that focuses heavily on the personal, Traitor and Shatterpoint are probably the best examples.

The only audio version of Shatterpoint I heard had abridged the material so hard as to almost miss the point of the book. Mind you, that was a few years ago, so maybe there's a complete version out by now.

You can't go wrong with Kenobi though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The first Coruscant Nights book. Also the rest of the Coruscant Nights books.
Unfortunately none of that trilogy have audio books.

The new movie trailer gets released tomorrow, I'm a bit nervous.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Unfortunately none of that trilogy have audio books.

The new movie trailer gets released tomorrow, I'm a bit nervous.

I wonder what time "tomorrow" is, we have ticked over on the east coast already.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
EDIT. I am a fool

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And don't get too excited...its an 88 second teaser, not a full trailer.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm expecting something not-at-all-revealing but still really cool, like JJ's first Star Trek teaser way back when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZFWr0vR8Q

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Edit: Here's youtube no Quicktime bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

Warning, you need to install Quicktime.

RiskyChris fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 28, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We can never leave Tatooine.

Nice little trailer, aside from the silly lightsaber.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I think I wouldn't mind the broadsword saber if the blade itself was bigger. I think in the end it'll be something to just get used to (and it still isn't as weird as the Inquisitor's saber in Rebels) but that's the one thing that makes me go :raise:.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

That lightsaber is cool as hell.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

-Fish- posted:

That lightsaber is cool as hell.

The saber owns bones, I can definitely see some kid poking his eye out if they don't design the toy properly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Well that looks dumb

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RiskyChris posted:

The saber owns bones, I can definitely see some kid poking his eye out if they don't design the toy properly.

It had a really different sound to it that I liked, and the blades themselves looked different. Like one of the alternate blade types from Force Unleashed.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Actually now that I have seen some gifs and a high res still of the same shot, I noticed the blade is completely different than your standard saber blade and I am suddenly a lot more okay with it. It looks rad as hell with the energy pulsing/crackling around the core.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

-Fish- posted:

It had a really different sound to it that I liked, and the blades themselves looked different. Like one of the alternate blade types from Force Unleashed.

Or more like on fire. Kinda like the old star wars KOTOR comics.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
To be fair, a crossguard might have prevented the following:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Owns. I came

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I went to go see what people on TFN were saying about it, and I think the traffic crashed the site, haha.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Hype restored.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Abrams is the main reason I'm trying not to get too excited over this. I want to love the movie but deep down I know it will be as bland and stupid as his Star Trek films. :sigh: I'm excited for all the painfully forced callbacks to the original movies.

Though I do like the new look for the stormtroopers and lightsabers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I didn't hate it. They probably should have shown Han though, that would have gotten people excited.