Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh my god. This is the best update. :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:fireman::bravo:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

:dings::lurkmore::taco::mrgw2:

Now I know just how to express myself!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sidebar also fixed for me with the new release. this is pretty awesome
:11tea:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's still an issue where the image view where images load align to the top, instead of the centre, where they should load. Zooming in to any zoom level fixes it though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kaethela posted:

So what did you have to cull from the smiley keyboard this time to make the cut? Or did you just luck out and get a reviewer who didn't give a poo poo?

Here's the final list.

TinTower posted:

There's still an issue where the image view where images load align to the top, instead of the centre, where they should load. Zooming in to any zoom level fixes it though.

It's on the list, just not particularly high priority :)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

New update is great, one bug so far: while the handoff between iPhone and iPad launches the app, it doesn't navigate to the page being viewed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh lol, I didn't even think about inter-iOS-device Handoff, sorry about that! I'll add it to the list.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Little UI issue I ran into yesterday; I use the different bookmark thread colors to categorize the threads and I finally toggled some into yellow. The Awful app uses the thread color for the number of unread posts. When the thread color is yellow, that's very hard to read. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off using the color for the unread post counter.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Free :yosbutt:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wait, there is handoff support? How does that even work?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Post creation from iOS to mac doesn't work (or it doesn't for me) but if you're browsing a thread it'll let you open it in safari.

And going from mac to iOS will just open the current page in iOS safari.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Since the icon question came up in the Android awful app thread. Any chance of an icon change in the foreseeable future? I vote frog! :getin:
Frog icon best icon.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bronin posted:

I vote frog!

Not happening.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

inklesspen posted:

Little UI issue I ran into yesterday; I use the different bookmark thread colors to categorize the threads and I finally toggled some into yellow. The Awful app uses the thread color for the number of unread posts. When the thread color is yellow, that's very hard to read. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off using the color for the unread post counter.

You are certainly not alone with that opinion :) Tweaking those colors is on my list for sure.

Ultimate Mango posted:

To expand on xzzy's correct post, here is what currently works with Awful:
  • Reading a thread in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac at approximately the same post you're scrolled to, even if you're filtering by a single user.
  • Browsing a forum in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac.
  • Reading a PM in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac.
I haven't implemented Awful-to-Awful Handoff partly because that involved more effort, but mostly because I forgot all about it. Mac-to-Awful Handoff is not impossible but it would require some fiddling by the Powers That Be and I haven't bothered anyone about it yet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bronin posted:

Since the icon question came up in the Android awful app thread. Any chance of an icon change in the foreseeable future? I vote frog! :getin:
Frog icon best icon.

Nah we're into good design in the iOS thread.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

To be fair, I still think our icon is bad, I've just never seen anyone come up with anything I think is better.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Honestly it's a lot more fitting now then back in the iOS 6 days. No reason to change it imo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think I'm too biased at this point but I like how simple it is and how identifiable it is.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

You are certainly not alone with that opinion :) Tweaking those colors is on my list for sure.

To expand on xzzy's correct post, here is what currently works with Awful:
  • Reading a thread in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac at approximately the same post you're scrolled to, even if you're filtering by a single user.
  • Browsing a forum in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac.
  • Reading a PM in Awful will hand off to Safari on the Mac.
I haven't implemented Awful-to-Awful Handoff partly because that involved more effort, but mostly because I forgot all about it. Mac-to-Awful Handoff is not impossible but it would require some fiddling by the Powers That Be and I haven't bothered anyone about it yet.

Wow this is awesome. I suppose I need to read up on handoff in general. It is the first feature to come along to make me feel old and outdated. I'm not even 40 yet damnit! :corsair:

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
The fact that the edges of the emoticons get obscured by iOS RoundRect-ifying images in the Messages app is kind of a buzzkill. Is it heresy to suggest adding some pixel padding to the edges of the images as a workaround? And if it's not, is that still too hacky to work reliably?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Oh my god, this update. This is what my phone messages had been missing.

Boy are people in for a treat.

e: Do the animated ones animate to recipients? They're all still when inserted into the textbox so I can't tell what the recipient sees.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

e: Do the animated ones animate to recipients? They're all still when inserted into the textbox so I can't tell what the recipient sees.

They do.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

The Dave posted:

Nah we're into good design in the iOS thread.

drat son. Way to be a buzz kill. Joking aside though I'm in Diabolik's camp. Don't really like the current one don't know what else to use.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I fat-fingered :a2m: to a colleague, so I think I'm turning off the Awful keyboard now.

When I'm homeless, I expect Pokeyman to take me in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a TestFlight update coming too? I only have 3 days of Awful.beta left!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nougatmachine posted:

The fact that the edges of the emoticons get obscured by iOS RoundRect-ifying images in the Messages app is kind of a buzzkill. Is it heresy to suggest adding some pixel padding to the edges of the images as a workaround? And if it's not, is that still too hacky to work reliably?

Having no idea if this is possible it sounds like a great idea to me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

nougatmachine posted:

Yeah I've been annoyed by that too. I'm not sure if any other apps try to deal with that in a similar way.

It's not impossible to add some padding when copying the image data. I'll have to see how annoying it is to do.

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a TestFlight update coming too? I only have 3 days of Awful.beta left!

The finally-widely-available 3.1 release should take the place of the beta 3.1, thus saving you from an embarrassing expiry. But yeah I'll get a 3.2 beta out there shortly.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The finally-widely-available 3.1 release should take the place of the beta 3.1, thus saving you from an embarrassing expiry. But yeah I'll get a 3.2 beta out there shortly.

Is the final 3.1 the same as the last beta 3.1? Because the release version apparently doesn't come through as an update in the App Store if you're on the beta.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Is the final 3.1 the same as the last beta 3.1? Because the release version apparently doesn't come through as an update in the App Store if you're on the beta.

No, it's a version ahead. The only difference was an extra removed smilie or two.

Maybe that's what's stopping things from working as I expect.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I saw you post the "bad smilies for bad people" list. Is there a way, or plans to (I don't know how feasible this is, or whether you'd get rejected) add sideload them to the at least app only KB?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

No, it's a version ahead. The only difference was an extra removed smilie or two.

Maybe that's what's stopping things from working as I expect.

I can't even get the App Store updates without wiping out the beta install entirely. It seems like you can only ever have one or the other and they're completely segregated.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I saw you post the "bad smilies for bad people" list. Is there a way, or plans to (I don't know how feasible this is, or whether you'd get rejected) add sideload them to the at least app only KB?

My general impression with App Review is that while the first review (i.e. new app, new extension) is a thorough one, the subsequent ones not so much. I might test the waters by slowly pulling smilies off the list.

If that results in rejection then I'll look at ways to sideload them somehow. The good news here is that anything sideloaded will end up in both the extension and the app.

Kaethela posted:

I can't even get the App Store updates without wiping out the beta install entirely. It seems like you can only ever have one or the other and they're completely segregated.

And now I can't push out the last build of 3.1 that ended up being accepted. I'm guessing it was my fuckup. I'll try Doing It Right for 3.2 and we can see how that goes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reposting here cause I can't seem to post in the right thread for poo poo.

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Reposting here cause I can't seem to post in the right thread for poo poo.

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?

It's because of the split keyboard. I haven't looked into dealing with that at all, but it is on my list.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I like the idea of padding smilies so iOS doesn't cut off their edges. Any chance we could get them forums-sized? They're a little on the large side when using them with Messenger.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

I like the idea of padding smilies so iOS doesn't cut off their edges. Any chance we could get them forums-sized? They're a little on the large side when using them with Messenger.

They're exactly the same images though?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

They're exactly the same images though?

Messages embiggens them if they're below a certain size though.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Messages embiggens them if they're below a certain size though.

Hm didn't know that - odd. That definitely explains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The hide sidebar option doesn't seem to be working on my ipad2. I've tried toggling it on and off, restarting the app, and rotations to and from portrait and landscape mode.

• Locked thread