Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009
The xanadu tournament stagelist is hardly final, even the conservative tourney organizers are hovering around 11-13 stages and alot of people are looking at 17-21 legal stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lisonfire posted:

The xanadu tournament stagelist is hardly final, even the conservative tourney organizers are hovering around 11-13 stages and alot of people are looking at 17-21 legal stages.

Any particularly big surprises?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Big Battlefield's pretty drat fun.

Anyone have advice for playing Ike, Samus, and/or Sheik?

(But preferably Ike.)

I'm by no means good at the game, but I will talk about how at least I play Ike:

against good people, use his jab a lot. It's quick, and if you hit all three you give yourself some good breathing room because the last one has decent launch power. Don't try to approach people with his dash attack, I think his dash attack is actually pretty bad. You want to do short hops and neutral or forward airs to get close to people and do damage, generally. I don't know enough about his throws to tell you which one is best in a given situation, but his sword is long enough that you can pretty easily get a follow up hit in the air after a throw at lowish percents.

As far as his specials go, using them depends on how good your opponent is. If they're really good at shielding then don't bother trying to hit them with your side B, you want to use your side B mostly to either gain or close space, or recover. how you use his counter also depends on how good the other player is. I'm pretty bad about using the counter too much at stupid times so I get owned for it, but it can be a nice way to stop someone from getting a hit on you when you go to land back onstage.

Aether is really good at damaging people while you're recovering because almost everybody forgets that it hits them when they try to edgegaurd. Also there's some super armor going on with it too, I dunno. Just make sure you're close enough to the stage that you don't accidentally SD when you use it. Eruption is a slow and "punishable" move, but I like using it to edgeguard. It can hit a bit above Ike, and of course in front of him, and even slightly behind him, so it limits the hell out of your opponent's recovery options. I've had several occasions where the other guy is just flat out too intimidated and hesitates too long before recovering and just dies. And, of course, if you hit someone who's at a red percent with it then they'll probably die, especially if you charged it. Just never charge it all the way if you know it's not going to hit them because then you just did like 10% to yourself and left yourself wide open.

That is all of my really lovely advice that I have to give. His tilts are good too, but I don't know how to use them effectively.

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any particularly big surprises?

Orbital Gate Assault might make it in on the basis that the stage won't ever kill you if you stand completely still and input nothing, so anyone whining about it must be huge babies.

Also people are considering Mushroom Kingdom U again now that its been discovered that you can mash out of Nabbit's bag as late as 140%.

Some people are talking about Kalos but theres probably no chance unless someone finds a reliable way to avoid the registeel transformation that throws the swords into the air.

Also people are considering Wii Fit Studio and Coliseum even though they have walkoffs but I don't know how much hope those really have.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm suprised and happy to hear about Mushroom Kingdom U being considered. I love its size and the layouts are all interesting, but I assumed that the hazards would be just a smidgen too wacky.

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm suprised and happy to hear about Mushroom Kingdom U being considered. I love its size and the layouts are all interesting, but I assumed that the hazards would be just a smidgen too wacky.

Everyone liked the stage before Nabbit was added to it in the E3 beta tournament thing, I recall zero or some other mega pro smash player saying it was his favorite stage ever in a smash game. People really hated nabbit because he follows you around unlike all the other extremely telegraphed hazards on the stage and people thought he was an instant kill or at least extremely difficult to escape, killing around 60% based on what the people with early release copies were showing, in addition to being really difficult to get rid of. But now that people have the game they are finding its really hard to die to him until your at a percent where you could be dying to literally anything else.

The other hazards don't really matter regarding legality because they are telegraphed well in advance. There has never been a stage banned for having telegraphed hazards with reasonable damage: Halberd is still a legal counterpick in the standard brawl ruleset. Mute City in melee was banned for peach having 10-0 matchups on it, not the cars. Norfair was legal for a long time before it was banned... for having thrice as much ledge camping as normal stages due to having 6 ledges, not the lava. Incidentally, with the ledge mechanics being changed Norfair might be legal again if it can overcome the momentum of being banned in brawl and also alot of people hating it.

Theres a decent number of stick-in-the-mud players who hate any stage that moves or does damage to you ever but alot of people also recognize that banning everything in brawl led to poo poo like game and watch dropping 10 places on the tier list and ice climbers being the second best character in the game because all their bad stages got banned.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Have the cars in Port City always been able to hit you even though you're on a platform?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am 100% sure they didn't do that before because holy gently caress did that ever catch me off guard.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

They should patch in the ability to move while crouching for Dedede. He'd keep doing his relaxation lean but a handful of Waddle Dees would appear to pick him up and carry him.

xcep waddle dee is gonna be dlc char

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I downloaded the WIi U version so I'll go home and find out but the fact that there are more than 10 stages being considered for tournaments is already a better start than the 3DS version with 3 stages (Maaaaybe 4?)

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

The duck hunt stage remix music is the best. There I said it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Let's say hypothetically I don't give a poo poo about doing anything but multiplayer but I still want to unlock these extra stages (except maybe Pac Land because gently caress that). I already unlocked Kongo Jungle 64, but what's the fastest route in event mode to get to Smashville and Pokemon Stadium 2?

Also re: stages I really like Norfair and the NSMBU stage. I don't even care about the hazards they are Fun Stages.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is the Trophy Room common knowledge? I didn't play the 3DS version and was pleasantly surprised to find that the game would group my trophies into collections and display them (although it could be better...). If you haven't found it yet, it's in the Vault->Trophies->Gallery, and then you press X or Y while looking at a trophy. Something like that.

On that topic, does anyone know how to get the alternate colored trophies for the fighters? I've heard that they are given out like normal trophies, after battle or as items, and someone stating that you got it by completing True All-Star Mode. But I don't think I've picked up one yet, I have over 300 trophies and I've beaten All-Star Mode before and after unlocking all the characters, and each victory nets me the Final Smash trophy instead of the alternate color. Any advice?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Colosseum and Wii Fit Studio are such boring stages, aesthetically and in terms of layout. I mean they not bad, but unless there's a gimmick I don't know about there's no reason I'd ever pick them.

Waverhouse posted:

I've been doing them by imagining the grab as a smash-attack-type motion. So you hit the other direction and then R+A at the same time (if anything, I am erring on the side of hitting R before A, although not by much). That said, it doesn't look like they add the crazy reach like in games before (at least not with Falco and Ganon, my two main dudes). Nor does it appear to quicken the lag time of the whiffed grab with Samus (who is the only ranged grab person Ive really tried with).

Still good for the trick of running past a guy and pivot grabbing, or pivot grabbing if they've position behind you.

Can you do it with just the grab button, instead of shieldgrab?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Crotch posted:

(But preferably Ike.)

Use his forward air attack all day, with short hops.

His jab combo and neutral air are also good.

Fight for your friends, but don't give your enemies no sympathy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Crotch posted:

(But preferably Ike.)

I play a lot of Sheik but don't consider myself to be that good with her really. Still, I'll give you some tips.

First off, Sheik has crap single attack damage output. It's just how it is. Other than her down b (which is easy to see coming) none of her attacks really hit that hard. This means that you have to be hitting faster and more frequently than your opponent. Luckily this is what Sheik excels at.

Her bread and butter combo at low percents is down throw into up air. Until about 30% or so you're basically guaranteed to get that combo off before the opponent can air dodge. Use it frequently to rack up early damage.

Sheik's dash attack is very quick but also punishable on block, so be careful with it. If you can catch the opponent off guard though you can easily follow it up with a forward air. In fact, forward airs and back airs should be your go to whenever your opponent is in the air. Sheik is extremely quick in the air and you can easily harass with these two moves before the other guy can react.

Sheik's down b is the best move in her arsenal. The hitbox is a really goofy so there will be frequent times where it seems like you should have hit somebody but whiff, especially if you try to use it on somebody in the air. Keep in mind you can determine how far it goes by holding forward or back as you use it. It will also hop right over projectiles so if you know one is coming use it to bop the enemy before they finish the animation.

The needles are sort of strange. I don't really use them very often because even with a full charge they only do like 7% damage. They do come out quick though so situationally they can be useful. I dunno, I find I just get hit while trying to stock them up. Use your discretion.

The grenade is terrible. It has a terrible hitbox and only an idiot will get hit by it. I guess it's sometimes good to edgeguard with but personally I prefer to just chase with a forward air.

Sheik can slide into her upsmash which is a decent way to kill.

Finally, the up b. You get some weird invincibility frames with this one and it hits way harder than Zelda's. It does some damage on reentry too, just not a ton. Still, if you need some breathing room just aim for the opponent on reentry, even if they block it will push them away. It is a kill move. Use it as such.

I'm sure there's way more but that's what I got for the moment.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh man, found a globox trophy.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Tender Bender posted:

Can you do it with just the grab button, instead of shieldgrab?

I suppose. I don't think I've used the grab button since the 64 days.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the Trophy Room common knowledge? I didn't play the 3DS version and was pleasantly surprised to find that the game would group my trophies into collections and display them (although it could be better...). If you haven't found it yet, it's in the Vault->Trophies->Gallery, and then you press X or Y while looking at a trophy. Something like that.

On that topic, does anyone know how to get the alternate colored trophies for the fighters? I've heard that they are given out like normal trophies, after battle or as items, and someone stating that you got it by completing True All-Star Mode. But I don't think I've picked up one yet, I have over 300 trophies and I've beaten All-Star Mode before and after unlocking all the characters, and each victory nets me the Final Smash trophy instead of the alternate color. Any advice?

I'm pretty sure anyone checking their trophies should realize how to get to the trophy boxes. It was also on the 50 Facts video, so they have no excuse not to know.

They're also horribly addicting. I need to complete more, and more, and more!

The Alt. trophies have nothing to do with All-Star. I've only found them on the Shop as of yet, and don't quote me on this, but you might need to complete Classic before they appear. All of my Alts are of characters I've beaten Classic with, and I don't think I've seen any Alt. of a character before I got their normal trophy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did cruel melee with Little Mac, and after only my 2nd try, I was able to KO 6 of them in one setting consistently using his down + B attack. I imagine with some practice, I could do the same for Lucina since her counter works similarly and then get enough practice in to KO 8 of them.

In either case, this makes unlocking Duck Hunt pretty easy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone checking their trophies should realize how to get to the trophy boxes. It was also on the 50 Facts video, so they have no excuse not to know.

They're also horribly addicting. I need to complete more, and more, and more!

The Alt. trophies have nothing to do with All-Star. I've only found them on the Shop as of yet, and don't quote me on this, but you might need to complete Classic before they appear. All of my Alts are of characters I've beaten Classic with, and I don't think I've seen any Alt. of a character before I got their normal trophy.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't watched the 50 Facts video because I wanted to be surprised, and it was a real treat when I finally decided to check out my collection. I haven't made a lot of use out of the shop, because I don't think about it and I don't want to buy multiple copies of trophies I already own. I'll start checking it more regularly.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The shop should tell you if you already own trophies they have on sale. I think so at least. I feel like I've seen it say that but also I've only been in the shop like three times.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Uh so I bought this guy today:

And it loving owns. I honestly havent been playing smash much since the pro controller sucks imo. Now that Ive got this guy I'm way more into it.

Also since its a wii classic controller, I can download mario rpg from the wii shop.. its a twofer :c00l:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

The shop should tell you if you already own trophies they have on sale. I think so at least. I feel like I've seen it say that but also I've only been in the shop like three times.

At least in the 3ds version, only the silhouette shows up if you don't own the trophy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

davey4283 posted:

And it loving owns. I honestly havent been playing smash much since the pro controller sucks imo. Now that Ive got this guy I'm way more into it.

Also since its a wii classic controller, I can download mario rpg from the wii shop.. its a twofer :c00l:

Question about that sucker, does it go in via USB? or does it need the Gamecube adapter?

They couldn't give me a straight answer at EB Games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

davey4283 posted:

I bought one of those too because I was dumb and thought it was an actual GCN controller. It's not bad but it feels a little flimsy to me and I don't like the shoulder buttons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

m.hache posted:

Question about that sucker, does it go in via USB? or does it need the Gamecube adapter?

Neither. It goes into your Wiimote.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

m.hache posted:

It plugs into the wiimote like a nunchuk.

Its from a company called pdp.

PantsBandit posted:

I bought one of those too because I was dumb and thought it was an actual GCN controller. It's not bad but it feels a little flimsy to me and I don't like the shoulder buttons.

I like the shoulder buttons for zl and zr.. theyre analog type with the springs which is pretty sweet.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Blackheart posted:

At least in the 3ds version, only the silhouette shows up if you don't own the trophy.

I don't think that's the case in the Wii U version. There is a little "Unlocked" tag on some trophies which might mean you already have it, but I've never checked.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Also since I can play at a respectable level now, I got to master and crazy hands at 8.5 on classic mode.

And now theyre shapeshifting monsters. I dont even know.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Finally got an adapter. Impressed with how well the Wavebird works with it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I'm getting absolutely destroyed online. Is there a good way to become not lovely at this game? I thought myself pretty decent at 64, but that was a long time ago and a very different game. I'm trying to use Peach.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I think Peach is a pretty decent pick. As far as mechanics, in general the only things you really need to learn is block->shield grab and short hopping into aerials; in particular I think the SOP for Peach is also to learn her float shenanigans. Oh and use tilts, if you're not already using them.

After that it's honestly just finding someone better than you, getting your rear end handed to you like 50 times, save some replays and then watch them again later to see what you did wrong.

I'm not sure if the NNID list in the OP is being updated, but there's #goonsmash on irc to help you find a sparring partner.

Speaking of, I was thinking of putting together an excel with peoples names, preferred characters, and self identified skill level (newbie, intermediate, veteran,etc) but I don't really know google docs that well. Would enough people be interested in that to warrant me toying with it?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bleh, this is the only game where the online has severe lag issues for me and it's really bothering me.

All I wanna do is smash some bros dammit Nintendo. :argh:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tidiox posted:

I don't think that's the case in the Wii U version. There is a little "Unlocked" tag on some trophies which might mean you already have it, but I've never checked.

Confirming that shop items with the "Unlocked" notice are trophies you already own.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The Crotch posted:

(But preferably Ike.)

I'll go with Samus (not zero suit.)

Samus's strength is her projectile game. Heavy missiles do 10% damage, and charge shot reliably knocks people off the stage.
You can't missile-cancel like in the previous games, but missiles are a very safe way of racking up damage.
She also has a spike (d-air) and good back-aerial attack, longest throw in the game, and an excellent down-smash for getting people away.
Her tilts also do a lot of damage up close. Her z-air can latch onto ledges and knock people away who are trying to b-air you to death (cough Jigglypuff.)
Her dash attack is also very good.

Her weaknesses include:
a) Throw recovery time is horrible.
b) Slowest roll in the game.
c) Laggy smashes that take practice to time and space correctly.
d) Difficult to approach characters with reflectors and absorbing moves or shields.

Some tips.
a) Firing missiles and using down-smash are great ways of discouraging roll-spamming.
b) If they approach you from the front, block with shield, then using the grappling hook throw to grab. They'll wise up and stop doing attacks that leave them exposed in front of you.
c) Always be chargin'. Charging will provoke people into attacking you, and being charged will make it so people are more passive when they defend against your approaches. Note that you don't have to be at full charge to fire, but the fully charged shot will go through projectiles and is likely to knock people at higher percentages out.
d) A good approach move on the ground is a dash attack - in the air, the best approach move is the b-air (although it takes some practice.)

When to use Samus:
- Samus is annoying against non-floaty, no-projectile characters. Think Little Mac, Gannondorf, Donkey Kong, Ike, Marth, Shulk and tons of others.
- Samus is awkward against characters with reflectors, especially those with a good aerial game (Fox, Falco, Ness).

My biggest problem has actually been against Link this time around. Link outspams Samus, blocks projectiles by doing nothing, is good at poking, and his tornado messes with Samus's spacing.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
I'm pretty bad at this game but if anyone wants to kick my rear end while I figuratively mash my face on the controller, my NNID is RageBeef.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Waverhouse posted:

Speaking of, I was thinking of putting together an excel with peoples names, preferred characters, and self identified skill level (newbie, intermediate, veteran,etc) but I don't really know google docs that well. Would enough people be interested in that to warrant me toying with it?

Yea man, this would be a good addon to the op. The nnids are up to date as of page 31 or 32.

Thats a really great run down for her. The one thing I miss the most is the falling/floating dead leg she had on n64 and melee.

Super cheap, super awesome.

VVV Is there one charactor specifically that your interested in or..?

Honestly it takes practice. Put it on stock with some cpus and just go to town for a couple hours.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 26, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you use b-airs effectively, like you say to approach with it? It seems like that's a key move for a lot of characters but I don't really know how to use it well without slowly setting it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are there any WiiU-focused videos on how to generally not be so bad at this game yet? A lot of the advice I've been looking at seems to still assume a decent level of comfort with the series, which I lack.

• Locked thread