Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Fuuka is cool, shoot Rise out of a cannon, into a brick wall. Then light the wall on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What chapter does the P3 team meet up with the P4 one, because the sooner I get Fuuka and never have to hear Rise, the better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
End of the first labyrinth.
Also, Fuuka have the better leader skill so you're gonna use her regardless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I'm gonna use her no matter what because Rise's the most drat obnoxious navigator in the series.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OK, first real complaint: when you get an "upgraded" version of a skill -- Garula vs Garu, for example -- the game automatically replaces the lower level version even if there's still room in the character's skill list. This is a serious problem because Garula costs 28 SP while Garu only costs 8.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Zurai posted:

OK, first real complaint: when you get an "upgraded" version of a skill -- Garula vs Garu, for example -- the game automatically replaces the lower level version even if there's still room in the character's skill list. This is a serious problem because Garula costs 28 SP while Garu only costs 8.

That's why I didn't start using that level 17 sub-persona they give you for free, that's pretty lame.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Jmcrofts posted:

how the gently caress is Rise beating Teddie.

Honestly I'm still surprised Teddie knocked Yu out in the first place.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Fuuka is cool, shoot Rise out of a cannon, into a brick wall. Then light the wall on fire.

Dub Rise is cool.

Japanese Teddie and Rise are abominations.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

PoshAlligator posted:

Honestly I'm still surprised Teddie knocked Yu out in the first place.

You must be joking, guarantee you there are lurkers in this very thread with a pinup of Teddie complete with crotch bulge next to their Chie statuette.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Toadsniff posted:

You must be joking, guarantee you there are lurkers in this very thread with a pinup of Teddie complete with crotch bulge next to their Chie statuette.

Uuuuuh, i'm not a lurker.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

im not a lurker

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Every morning I wake up and open palm slap a 3DS Cart into the slot. It's Persona Q and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside with the main character, Yu. I do every move and I do every move hard, making the right social decisions with Rise and then I slam down some shadow bastards.

Not many can say they escaped the TV world's most dangerous dungeon on hard. I can. I say it, and I say it out loud everyday to people in my college class, and all they do is prove people in college class can still be immature jerks.

And I've learned all the S. Links and I've learned how to make myself and my apartment less lonely by summoning personas. Fourty hours including optional bosses every morning.

Then I jerk.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
for me the problem with rei and zen is that their spells seem way too expensive for what they do. recover costs like four more sp than media but heals pretty much the same amount and only for one row

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Toadsniff posted:

There will be no bulges next to my Chie statue tyvm, she is pure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay wait a minute, are the costs of opening these chests completely random? Why was this reuseable 50HP item on the first floor 156 play coins and recarm is 1?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
It depends how much of the floor yoive explored.

You know whats bs tho you have to walk over every tile even if youve filled out the tiles perfectly on your map.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

for me the problem with rei and zen is that their spells seem way too expensive for what they do. recover costs like four more sp than media but heals pretty much the same amount and only for one row

Yeah, but Rei's the only one who starts out with a passive SP recovery, so.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
idk i can see why they did it that way from a functionality/programming stand point -- its just easier to require stepping on each square to verify that the floor has been "fully explored" than to go through a process of abstracting what constitutes a complete map and whether the players version of a complete map matches that. some people are going to do things like turn auto map off and color the floors a different color, or shade the outside of walls, or shade the squares that are water, etc.

i don't mind it and it sure as poo poo beats sj which i beat earlier this year

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yoya posted:

It depends how much of the floor yoive explored.

You know whats bs tho you have to walk over every tile even if youve filled out the tiles perfectly on your map.

Wait what? Is that why I have 99% despite having filled out the map?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's really silly, but I can understand it must be a pain in the rear end to try and program something like that. Whatever, as long as I fill out most of it I can offset the remainder I need with like the 90 play coins I have.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

The percentage is based on the tiles you've actually walked over.

I only had 99% at the second floor since one tile was in the middle of an FOE's path I couldn't get to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"They're not poems, they're the screams of my Pathos."

Oh my god.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The percentage is based on the tiles you've actually walked over.

I only had 99% at the second floor since one tile was in the middle of an FOE's path I couldn't get to.

You can get those by going through a shortcut on the other end of his path.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, he means that he needed to walk over a tile he couldn't get to that the FOE patrols. You need to have access to that area to begin with to even be at 99%.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

You can get those by going through a shortcut on the other end of his path.

I did try going from both ends, but it still seemed like there was literally one tile I couldn't reach safely.

Not that it really matters, since I'm going to kick its rear end eventually anyway.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yo those justice swords are assholes on hard

hit for well over 50hp, and constantly dodge mudo even though its their only weak point [that my party can hit]

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I was able to 100% the second floor by following him on both sides just fine. :shrug:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hubris.height posted:

hit for well over 50hp, and constantly dodge mudo even though its their only weak point [that my party can hit]

Hey, if you find a random pile of swords lying around, you should totally pick one up. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those bastards gave me my first game over and then I was met with... THE EYES.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

hubris.height posted:

For the record, they're weak to Bufu as well. I find it's a very, very good idea to have access to all four main elements on at least one character in the party. This is easier because there are elemental physical attacks too, so even Kanji can get in on the elemental goodness.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah i got all the map chests in the first dungeon without fighting a single foe :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I assume some of y'all are playing on Hard because the first two floors including the pile of swords have been stupidly easy for me. Using the superior P3 team of course.

Then again maybe I'm just used to EO and EO style games that are way more hard and obtuse. The first CRPG I remember beating was wizardry 6. :fogey:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Strange Quark posted:

Hey, if you find a random pile of swords lying around, you should totally pick one up. :v:

im going to, now. after i save. thanks for the pro tip. i didn't have bufu in my party until i just got an apsaras drop and now i do. also frozen bolt, which is p cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm doing normal because I mostly don't care to jump right into hard with this game style I'm not familiar with, but I probably could've just done hard and gotten as far.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
My first boss fight came down to a war of attrition I lost horribly (where are my goddamn amritas), so I tried fighting one of the first floor FOEs instead.

They're total chumps, as long as you defend with the front row, have Zen spam Bane Slice, and your other back row guy use the Heal Stone every turn. It took me like 40 turns, but the fact that they only attack once per turn makes them easier than those dumb beetles.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

My first boss fight came down to a war of attrition I lost horribly (where are my goddamn amritas), so I tried fighting one of the first floor FOEs instead.

They're total chumps, as long as you defend with the front row, have Zen spam Bane Slice, and your other back row guy use the Heal Stone every turn. It took me like 40 turns, but the fact that they only attack once per turn makes them easier than those dumb beetles.

A Burning Beetle was my first TPK.

And yeah, the first floor FOEs aren't so bad once you get past the point where they nearly one-shot people. They're actually stupidly easy with Fuuka's initial Navi skill, since it only costs 1 bar and you get about 75% of a bar in 3 turns just from basic attacks.

Actual protip: Aigis is an incredible tank in the back row if you give her a sub-persona with a taunt ability. Between the increased defense from the taunt, her Swordbreaker skill, and being in the back row, she takes almost no physical damage from attacks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm doing normal because I mostly don't care to jump right into hard with this game style I'm not familiar with, but I probably could've just done hard and gotten as far.

Yeah I mean I know I'm gonna want to do a second playthrough so I'm not gonna pick hard on the first go round. That just seems like asking for annoyances.

Also I kinda don't mind having to step on every tile because my OCD and laziness already had me doing that. Plus it ensures I get into enough encounters to stay leveled.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I just don't think of EO games as games to be rushed anyways, so I don't mind walking everywhere. It's nice they gave you an avenue to open the chest if you're cool with 98% though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

Also I kinda don't mind having to step on every tile because my OCD and laziness already had me doing that. Plus it ensures I get into enough encounters to stay leveled.

You'll mind once you get to the second labyrinth because there are SP damage tiles and they do count for map completion percentage.