Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn I don't know how some of y'all manage to go outside without making GBS threads your pants everytime you see a stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how in the cop versus non-cop death Sophie's choice dilemma we've decided that non-cops aren't really people that also don't want to be killed. You could as easily phrase the inane "obviously the cop killed would value his own life over that of ten suspects" non-answer with "obviously the suspects would rather ten cops be killed instead of them." The idea is find a balance of safety for both groups not value one so highly that it results in lots of bad shoots because cops don't have the luxury of knowing if every person is just waiting to shoot them.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 26, 2014

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ActusRhesus posted:

so you would prefer the officer be shot?

I'd rather they use discretion rather than go in guns blazing. Again. If discretion in the use of lethal force leads to a few more cops dying in the line of duty (the threat of which really is the only reason it is a "duty" at all), so be it. At least they have funds for that poo poo. Where's the pension for the family of every non-violent offender they gun down for not putting their hands up fast enough? Or too fast? Or talking back? Or running? Seriously, gently caress your hero worship of the armed thugs across the country.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Talmonis posted:

I'd rather they use discretion rather than go in guns blazing. Again. If discretion in the use of lethal force leads to a few more cops dying in the line of duty (the threat of which really is the only reason it is a "duty" at all), so be it. At least they have funds for that poo poo. Where's the pension for the family of every non-violent offender they gun down for not putting their hands up fast enough? Or too fast? Or talking back? Or running? Seriously, gently caress your hero worship of the armed thugs across the country.

That doesn't answer the question you quoted at all.

I'll just assume you would rather one cop die over one of anything else.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Talmonis posted:

wrongful death suits.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

it really is a stunning display of privilege. but then, I have to worry about getting shot (not by cops) leaving my office too late at night. What can I say...it leaves me with a bit of a bias.

you are mentally ill

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Flectarn posted:

you are mentally ill

and your basis for saying that is what?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

wrongful death suits.

So they get to go bankrupt paying people like you to maybe have a shot at being paid off by a powerful, country wide organization? How noble.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ActusRhesus posted:

and your basis for saying that is what?

You have delusions of paranoia.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Talmonis posted:

So they get to go bankrupt paying people like you to maybe have a shot at being paid off by a powerful, country wide organization? How noble.

those usually settle.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

your privilege is showing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ActusRhesus posted:

your privilege is showing.

It's really funny to see conservatives try to use liberal language and fail miserably.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

I don't look over my shoulder for cops. Not everyone does.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

It's really funny to see conservatives try to use liberal language and fail miserably.

Congrats on claiming a language in the name of one group of people?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

no. the fact you live and work in an area so secure that you immediately assume anyone who doesn't feel safe in their environment MUST be paranoid is, in fact, a sign of privilege.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

no. the fact you live and work in an area so secure that you immediately assume anyone who doesn't feel safe in their environment MUST be paranoid is, in fact, a sign of privilege.

this person is allowed a gun jfc. what a country!!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Nope, go back to school. The fact that you are trying to misappropriate privilege to mean "not scared of the poors" is pretty telling of your own politics though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

Nope, go back to school. The fact that you are trying to misappropriate privilege to mean "not scared of the poors" is pretty telling of your own politics though.
They don't teach social justice stupidity in classes that lead to a degree with any relevance.

But don't bother explaining how its not a privilege and just insult him. That works well to stop people from being ignorant.

You're terrible at conversation if you don't try to correct people and you just allow them to go on thinking incorrectly.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

Way to miss my point. You live in a world where the possibility of violence is unthinkable. That certainly shows a level of socio economic privilege.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Flectarn posted:

this person is allowed a gun jfc. what a country!!

where did I say I have a gun?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

Way to miss my point. You live in a world where the possibility of violence is unthinkable. That certainly shows a level of socio economic privilege.

I'm just gonna call you a name and disagree without giving any explanation why!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

You don't have a point, you're just reiterating "check your privilege" over and over hoping that it will stick. This is a really dumb rhetorical trick that is used by a certain kind of Internet conservative. You apparently live in New England, where being a cop is an incredibly safe job. Therefore your belief in everyday danger is nothing more than a delusion of paranoia.

You're a terrible poster and your ideas are offensive to a modern democratic society.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 26, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

You don't have a point, you're just reiterating "check your privilege" over and over hoping that it will stick. This is a really dumb rhetorical trick that is used by a certain kind of Internet conservative. You apparently live in New England, where being a cop is an incredibly safe job. Therefore your belief in everyday danger is nothing more than a delusion of paranoia.

I'm not a cop.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not a cop.

That much is evident, and it just makes your presence in this thread all the more strange. You live in one of the safest places in the world, have an incredibly safe and privileged job as one of the American legal elite, and yet still engage in the cowardly belief that you are so endangered and downtrodden that police need to come out guns blazing in order to protect you. Wake up.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

You're a terrible poster and your ideas are offensive to a modern democratic society.

Did you know that the United States isn't a democracy?

Kaal posted:

still engage in the cowardly belief that you are so endangered and downtrodden that police need to come out guns blazing in order to protect you. Wake up.

He never said any of this. Why do you make poo poo up to help your argument? Just read the words and stop trying to form them based around making you right.

Cole fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 26, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look guys, we all know that law firms are infamous for being located in the middle of the worst parts of town with the highest crime rates and not in upscale office buildings near courthouses. He's taking his life into his very hands the second he steps out of his office (located between a crackhouse and a meth lab) into the ghetto battlefield.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cole posted:

Did you know that the United States isn't a democracy?

Please, please tell me that you're trying to imply that we are an oligarchy... or that you were saying this in jest... and that you are not trying to imply that a constitutional republican form of government is not a subset within the spread of democratic societies.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

Look guys, we all know that law firms are infamous for being located in the middle of the worst parts of town with the highest crime rates and not in upscale office buildings near courthouses. He's taking his life into his very hands the second he steps out of his office (located between a crackhouse and a meth lab) into the ghetto battlefield.

Yeah I'd say that his sudden absence from the thread is obviously because he's being mugged in the street right now.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

Yeah I'd say that his sudden absence from the thread is obviously because he's being mugged in the street right now.

Based on what he said and how you have blown it out of proportion, I could probably tell you it's hot outside and you would look for fire.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

where did I say I have a gun?

You should get one

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://kdvr.com/2014/11/24/denver-police-accused-of-excessive-force-illegal-search/

quote:

Levi Frasier was on his way to work when he saw police activity and pulled over his van to get a better look.

At first, he said, undercover narcotics officers asked him to “help them” get the suspect under control.

Frasier said that before he could react, Jones and Evans arrived. They told him to get back.

Frasier said he grabbed his Samsung tablet and started recording video.

It is apparent from the video that at least one of the officers saw Frasier. The word “camera!” can be heard on tape shortly after Jones punches Flores.

Frasier said, officers on scene threatened him with arrest, demanded he turn over all photos and videotape to them and then seized his tablet over his objections.

“When he took it, I said, ‘Hey! You can’t do that. You need a warrant for that!’ and he said, ‘What program did you take the video with? Where is that?’” Frasier said.

He said police ignored his objections and dug through his personal photos without obtaining a court order.

“The first officer that comes up to ask me about my witness statement brings me to the police car and says we could do this the easy way or we could do this the hard way,” Fraser said. “It was taken as ‘You can either cooperate and give us what we want or we’re going to incarcerate you.’”

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

Based on what he said and how you have blown it out of proportion, I could probably tell you it's hot outside and you would look for fire.

I could probably tell him there's a black guy outside and he would start to fire.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

You see, they have to do that or they might get in trouble! All force is justified to protect the police after all. What's this civil liberty commie talk? Sounds like someone needs some enhanced interrogation for interfering with an ongoing investigation.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hey did you guys know that bananas are deadly weapons and look exactly like guns?

http://kdvr.com/2014/11/25/man-arrested-for-pointing-banana-at-deputies-near-grand-junction/

quote:

Man arrested for pointing banana at deputies near Grand Junction
POSTED 1:30 PM, NOVEMBER 25, 2014, BY WILL C. HOLDEN, UPDATED AT 02:11PM, NOVEMBER 25, 2014

MESA COUNTY, Colo. — In an incident that has been described as everything from comical to life threatening by the involved parties, the arrest of Nathen Channing this week might also be described as timely.

Channing, a 27-year-old Fruitvale resident, was taken into custody on Sunday night for pointing a banana at a pair of Mesa County Sheriff’s deputies, both of whom initially believed the piece of fruit was a handgun.

The arrest came a day before a grand jury in Ferguson, Mo., decided not to indict police officer Darren Wilson, who classified Michael Brown as menacing before he shot and killed him — a classification that has been widely criticized.

The same sort of criticism might be levied at the pair of Mesa County deputies who mistook a banana for a handgun. Then again, there are plenty of others who would say Channing got exactly what he deserved for antagonizing a pair of law enforcement officers who put themselves in harm’s way on a daily basis.

The two involved Mesa County deputies were identified as Joshua Bunch and Donald Love, both of whom were identified as victims in the case against Channing, who was arrested on two counts of felony menacing.

In an arrest affidavit, Bunch wrote that he was driving northbound over the 29 Road bridge just north of D Road in unincorporated Mesa County, which is just east of Grand Junction, when he noticed Channing walking on the sidewalk. Eventually, Bunch wrote, Channing “reached into the left side of his coat and pulled out a yellow object, pointing it into the air then in my direction as I approached him.”

“Fearing it was a weapon,” Bunch wrote that he sped off. And knowing Love was traveling behind him, Bunch said he radioed his fellow deputy to warn him. As he returned to the area, Bunch wrote he witnessed Channing point the same object at Love.

As Love got out of his vehicle and approached Channing, Bunch wrote his fellow deputy said he “observed what appeared to be a yellow tube with a black center” and also stated he “thought it was a gun.”

“Deputy Love stated he was in fear for his life at this point and was in the process of pulling out his handgun when Nathen yelled, ‘It’s a banana!'” Bunch wrote.

In describing his own misinterpretation of the object, Bunch wrote that “based on training and experience, I have seen handguns in many shapes and colors and perceived this to be a handgun.”

After identifying the object as harmless, the two deputies approached Channing, asking him to explain his actions.

“Nathen stated he does a lot of ‘YouTube’ and thought it would be a ‘funny joke,'” Bunch wrote. “Nathen explained he did it to a friend who was also driving in the area and his friend thought it was funny.”

Noticing no cameras in the area, Bunch wrote that he pressed Channing for details about whether he was going to post video of the incident on YouTube. At that point Channing admitted this was a “‘trial run’ of the joke,” and that he was not recording it, according to the affidavit.

“Nathen’s only explanation for pointing the banana at law enforcement was it was a joke,” Bunch wrote. “He thought it would, ‘lighten the holiday spirit.'”

When Bunch explained that to Channing that he wasn’t laughing, and that “these matters are taken very seriously,” Channing apologized for the incident and admitted he “may have taken the joke too far,” according to the affidavit.

Apparently deeming his apology as insufficient after discussing the incident further, the deputies placed Channing under arrest, with Bunch writing “Nathen, by physical action, knowingly placed Deputy Love and I in imminent fear by use of an article fashioned in the manner to cause us to reasonably believe it was a deadly weapon.”

If convicted of the charges detailed in his arrest affidavit, Channing could receive one to three years in prison and a fine of between $1,000 and $100,000.

:ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

Just our brave, expertly trained, heroic peace officers at work, putting the dangerous evil-doers away. :911:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CheesyDog posted:

I could probably tell him there's a black guy outside and he would start to fire.

I lol'd at this. But when did he say he was that scared of black people? Or did he just say he was less scared of police?

This is a serious question.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Rah! posted:

Hey did you guys know that bananas are deadly weapons and look exactly like guns?

http://kdvr.com/2014/11/25/man-arrested-for-pointing-banana-at-deputies-near-grand-junction/

Just our brave, expertly trained, heroic peace officers at work, putting the dangerous evil-doers away. :911:

A trial run for his "Point Random poo poo At Cops And See What Happens" YouTube channel. Guy is an idiot and deserves a night in jail for the violation of knowingly being stupid in public.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rah! posted:

Do you know why it's illegal to point things at the police that could be mistaken for weapons?

I'll give you 12 years to consider your answer.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Rah! posted:

Of course the guy pointing a banana at cops is from Fruitvale.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cole posted:

Do you know why it's illegal to point things at the police that could be mistaken for weapons?

I'll give you 12 years to consider your answer.

Show us a gun that resembles a banana.

This thread is suddenly full of cop apologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Of course the guy pointing a banana at cops is from Fruitvale.

Don't forget Officer Bunch.

Guy is an idiot and is lucky to be alive although I hope he doesn't get the book thrown at him.

• Locked thread