Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Party Boat posted:

I tried to watch Stripes the other night (never seen it before and Netflix kept suggesting it). Turned off halfway through because the sparse laughs weren't enough to keep going through the dated attitudes to women. I'm not going to criticise an early 80s film just for having gratuitous titties but the writing didn't seem anything special either. Have I unfairly dismissed a classic?

It's a super-quotable fun movie where ramis and Murray get to take the piss out of everything army. Sgt hulka is a great character. It goes from silly to ridiculous plotwise. Not liking it isn't some sin, but it's really not supposed to be high level cinema in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And Stripes is really only memorable through the first half. Once basic training is over, I kinda forget what happens (there's a weird camper and some Russians, I think).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Skizzzer posted:

I just watched 30 for 30's Bad Boys and it was pretty good. What are some other good sport documentaries? I've seen already The U (awesome), Two Escobars (pretty good), Trial of Allen Iverson (disappointing), Senna, and the one about the Knicks.

The Best That Never Was is my favorite in the "30 for 30" series. Also, I think Pumping Iron is on there now, and it's great.

Thwomp posted:

And Stripes is really only memorable through the first half. Once basic training is over, I kinda forget what happens (there's a weird camper and some Russians, I think).

When I was little, my Dad had a VHS copy he recorded that ended after the graduation ceremony. I always thought that was the end of the film, and it seemed like a pretty cool ending to me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The last half of Stripes is pretty dire but it has a few good gags.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Party Boat posted:

I tried to watch Stripes the other night (never seen it before and Netflix kept suggesting it). Turned off halfway through because the sparse laughs weren't enough to keep going through the dated attitudes to women. I'm not going to criticise an early 80s film just for having gratuitous titties but the writing didn't seem anything special either. Have I unfairly dismissed a classic?

It's a good movie, but a lot's changed in 33 years.

I'm reminded of a few weeks back when the wife and I were in the mood for something funny so we put on Eddie Murphy's stand-up Delirious and holy poo poo times have changed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody is arguing that Stretch could do completely without the romantic sub-plot, but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the rest of it in my opinion. Jessica Alba what were you thinking?
The entire ending was summed up for me by the romantic sub-plot though - unnecessary, sloppily-done, and full of holes like "dude, you still stole and totaled a limo and have been cruising around the city breaking laws and breaking jaws, impersonating an officer while carrying a stolen firearm - you gonna go away for a LONG time."

Chichevache posted:

:crossarms: I'll give it a shot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVcPhDt-kM

*edit*
20 minuted in and I am glad that I listened to you. Nice job.
Shooter is worth it if for nothing else than to see Marky Mark sporting a terrible ponytail.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 26, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Party Boat posted:

I hope you have good memories of Airplane! then. Because it will not hold up to politically correct scrutiny

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I hope you have good memories of Airplane! then. Because it will not hold up to politically correct scrutiny

It's also just not a funny movie. :shrug:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

General Battuta posted:

Sounds like The Act of Killing oh whoops I've got that backwards

Hahaha, definitely not that one!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

It's also just not a funny movie. :shrug:

Burn the heretic!

Airplane! is the archetype of the modern comedy and I don't think we've gotten far enough away from it that it loses all its charm like "Some Like It Hot".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think he's referring to Stripes.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Thwomp posted:

...loses all its charm like "Some Like It Hot".

The gently caress are you talking about.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Nroo posted:

The gently caress are you talking about.

Seriously, I saw Some Like It Hot cold on TCM one night and it's still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. If that movie has 'lost its charm,' I can't imagine what people must think of old Coen Bros. comedies, as it's pretty much the prototype for everything they did.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think he's referring to Stripes.

No I was referring to Airplane! I haven't seen Stripes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You son of a bitch.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Whoops.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dik-dik posted:

No I was referring to Airplane! I haven't seen Stripes.

thre's a zero percent chance that Airplane! isn't funnier than your favorite comedy

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

thre's a zero percent chance that Airplane! isn't funnier than your favorite comedy

Honestly I don't have a favorite comedy. I don't actually think most comedies are any good. Humor is great in non-comedy films, and I love TV comedies, stand-up, etc., but I just don't think the comedy genre of film is necessary or entertaining. :shrug:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

dik-dik posted:

Honestly I don't have a favorite comedy. I don't actually think most comedies are any good. Humor is great in non-comedy films, and I love TV comedies, stand-up, etc., but I just don't think the comedy genre of film is necessary or entertaining. :shrug:

Yikes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dik-dik posted:

well uhhhh there you go, i guess.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The thing with comedy movies is they're very timely... and what's funny changes, gets edgier, more ironic etc over time

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A MIRACLE posted:

The thing with comedy movies is they're very timely... and what's funny changes, gets edgier, more ironic etc over time

Someone hasn't seen Dr. Strangelove (or R&G are dead).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I mean it can be fun to sit down and watch a comedy with friends. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some humorless prick who lacks the ability to laugh (well, not entirely). I just don't think they're particularly memorable and even the best comedy movies are usually poo poo compared to decent comedy television (Bob's Burgers, Parks & Rec, Archer, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, early Community, to name a few shows currently on Netflix).

E: Okay yeah Dr. Strangelove rocked. Peter Sellers is one of the few actors capable of making good, memorable comedic films.

Also Airplane! just seems like a classic example of pandering to the lowest common denominator, which can be fun for action flicks but is insufferable for comedies, imo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A MIRACLE posted:

I actually watched Airplane! earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot because it had genuinely good jokes alongside the stuff that's pretty questionable in hindsight. Stripes had some decent moments but not enough to outweigh the more dated / rapey stuff.

Blues Brothers is still the best comedy / musical / film. Come at me.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

What was the rapey stuff in Airplane!?

Man, that title makes me look really excitable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Airplane still feels like a big excuse to just throw gags at the wall for the running time of the movie to see what sticks. Not a bad thing, but I mean it's not genius or anything.

A lot of the Scary Movie- series and _____ Movies feel like really lovely Airplanes!.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Erebus posted:

think he meant stripes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Erebus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2A194yTWoQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Monkey Fracas posted:

Airplane still feels like a big excuse to just throw gags at the wall for the running time of the movie to see what sticks. Not a bad thing, but I mean it's not genius or anything.

A lot of the Scary Movie- series and _____ Movies feel like really lovely Airplanes!.

A couple of them are written and directed by Zucker Bros., who made Airplane!.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Pander posted:

think he meant stripes.

You're right, I missed the switch to talking about Stripes.

I don't really remember rapey stuff there either, but I saw it a long time ago and that movie's a lot more "just guys havin' fun!", so it wouldn't surprise me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I don't find the child molestation jokes in Airplane! as uncomfortable as the Black jokes, though. And even those are still pretty funny.

A MIRACLE posted:

Some Like It Hot is still so relevant. More so, even...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The comedy genre has a lot of potential for biting satire. Blazing Saddles is one of the best examples.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is there some reason we're now playing along with the idea that there are no good comedy films, or something?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Some Like It Hot is still so relevant. More so, even...

Maybe I need to see it again as I haven't seen it in so long. But I distinctly remember thinking other comedies were better (Airplane!, Blue Brothers, Ghostbusters).

Pander posted:

The comedy genre has a lot of potential for biting satire. Blazing Saddles is one of the best examples.

For whatever reason, I always had the impression the big chili fart-off was the biggest laugh of that movie. But there are so many better jokes in that movie. Maybe my relatives are just big on fart jokes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The humor in Airplane! works on so many different levels.

Example: As a kid, the blow up doll was funny because an inflatable person was flying an airplane. That poo poo's funny. As I grew older it took on an entirely different meaning.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is there some reason we're now playing along with the idea that there are no good comedy films, or something?

dik-dik posted:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
If you watched trading places, or Brewster's millions, or the previously mentioned blazing saddles, and didn't laugh at all, you're probably a dead person. Comedy as a genre is the same as every other genre. mostly poo poo, but occasionally fantastic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The humor in Airplane! works on so many different levels.

Example: As a kid, the blow up doll was funny because an inflatable person was flying an airplane. That poo poo's funny. As I grew older it took on an entirely different meaning.

layers within layers

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

every genre is mostly poo poo

This is always the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manky posted:

This is always the truth.

Sturgeon's Law

• Locked thread