Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't know if it bugged out for me, but I got that conversation without taking Bull anywhere near a dragon.

Speaking of dragons, anyone know what level/type the one in the Hissing Wastes is? I assume that's where the last one is, it's the only one I haven't killed yet.

Hissing Wastes dragon is level 20 and fire type, her main thing is that she spawns lots of adds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The storm coast dragon is 19 which startled me because the approach was level 11 dragonlings.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

she spawns lots of adds.

Oh great, looks like Solas will be donating his kidneys to hungry dragonlings again. :v:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

What are the easier dragons? Crestwood wasn't bad, but Hinterlands beat me last night mostly because of the adds that kept spawning making it hard to micromanage them and not standing in the fire.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm running around the hinterlands doing quests and I've gotten barely any banter. I did get a bit earlier on, so I don't know if this is *the* bug, or just a lack of party banter on my part while i'm running around doing useless quests. How do I tell?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

hobbesmaster posted:

The storm coast dragon is 19 which startled me because the approach was level 11 dragonlings.

The Exalted Plains dragon in the Fens was 15 (I think the Gurguts were level 13?) and pretty easy as dragon fights seem to go, at least if you pack some electric resist armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any vendors that sell useful crafting materials? I've got so little leather and cloth that I basically never craft armor, but I'd really love to get my hands on some Darkened Samite or Highever Weave and some more leather, too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rosalind posted:

What are the easier dragons? Crestwood wasn't bad, but Hinterlands beat me last night mostly because of the adds that kept spawning making it hard to micromanage them and not standing in the fire.

Let me think.

Hinterlands is fire @ lvl 12- that should probably be the easiest, numerically, but she does like to perch on the cliffs and summon dragonlings.
Crestwood is lightning @ lvl ...14? Not much stronger than the Hinterlands dragon, the worst thing she does is that magnet aura attack thing.
Emerald Graves is ice @ lvl 17-19 or thereabouts. Pretty straightforward, just take a lot of ice resistance tonics and you should be fine.
Western Approach was fire, I think, I can't remember the level but she was pretty easy too.
Exalted Plains was... poo poo, I dunno. I think I took Solas so fire or lightning. No harder than the one in the Western Approach.
Storm Coast was lightning, she's definitely level 19. More difficult than the others because she summons dragonlings rather than strafing.
Emprise du Lion has three, two ice dragons at 20/21 and one fire at 23. The two ices were pretty easy, again they don't summon anything. Fire was at the bottom of a pit and probably the hardest yet.

Best bet is probably Western Approach or Exalted Plains, though if you're having trouble with Hinterlands still you're going to have trouble with any of them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lotish posted:

The Exalted Plains dragon in the Fens was 15 (I think the Gurguts were level 13?) and pretty easy as dragon fights seem to go, at least if you pack some electric resist armor.

Tonics, man. Upgraded tonics give 60% resist and they last forever.

(Yeah, armour too if you have it. And get the resist bonuses from the Forbidden Oasis.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Best bet is probably Western Approach or Exalted Plains, though if you're having trouble with Hinterlands still you're going to have trouble with any of them.

Can't remember WA's level either, but aside from the longass quest to fight her she was easy. At level 14 she went down in minutes and I only got hit once as a dagger/assassin rogue.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm running around the hinterlands doing quests and I've gotten barely any banter. I did get a bit earlier on, so I don't know if this is *the* bug, or just a lack of party banter on my part while i'm running around doing useless quests. How do I tell?

If you're not getting banter every ten minutes or so you probably have it. Try shuffling your party around and if they're still quiet, sorry.

I've only found one party configuration that avoids the bug for me, and it's the starting three (Solas, Cass, Varric). Everyone else is just quiet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So how is Nightmare difficulty anyway? I'm ploughing through Normal at a fairly steady rate and thinking of boosting up higher. Is it 'genuinely' challenging, or does it just turn everything into a one-shot coin toss of attrition? I'm loving the combat but it feels rather...flat at the moment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

So how is Nightmare difficulty anyway? I'm ploughing through Normal at a fairly steady rate and thinking of boosting up higher. Is it 'genuinely' challenging, or does it just turn everything into a one-shot coin toss of attrition? I'm loving the combat but it feels rather...flat at the moment.

At least turn it to hard.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Anyone have experience testing out the Reaver in multiplayer? It's my first time through that tree, so I've decided to go with what seems to be the core Reaver skills: Devour, Ring of Pain, Dragonrage when I get it (Mighty blow in it's place until then). In MP you can map four active abilities (the other four slots are for potions/tonics/consumables, wish I would have realized that earlier on another character).

That's fine, since I can appreciate trimming down ability bloat, but with the Reaver I've got one spot left and I'd like to use it for some defense/utility. My top two candidates have been the block and counter ability or combat roll. I'd really like to have both. I see guys with the roll moving much better in fights and as melee it seems like I spend a lot of time waiting to arrive at my next target. I have the same regret on my Legionnaire with the hook and grapple instead of combat roll. Back to the reaver, I'd also like to have some ability to tank things and generate a little guard with the block.

How effective did you find these abilities? Are the core Reaver abilities worth building on or is a non-standard build more effective?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Polish Avenger posted:

Anyone have experience testing out the Reaver in multiplayer? It's my first time through that tree, so I've decided to go with what seems to be the core Reaver skills: Devour, Ring of Pain, Dragonrage when I get it (Mighty blow in it's place until then). In MP you can map four active abilities (the other four slots are for potions/tonics/consumables, wish I would have realized that earlier on another character).

That's fine, since I can appreciate trimming down ability bloat, but with the Reaver I've got one spot left and I'd like to use it for some defense/utility. My top two candidates have been the block and counter ability or combat roll. I'd really like to have both. I see guys with the roll moving much better in fights and as melee it seems like I spend a lot of time waiting to arrive at my next target. I have the same regret on my Legionnaire with the hook and grapple instead of combat roll. Back to the reaver, I'd also like to have some ability to tank things and generate a little guard with the block.

How effective did you find these abilities? Are the core Reaver abilities worth building on or is a non-standard build more effective?

Ditch Dragonrage for the other one on the tree. Can't remember the name (Rampage?) but it's next to Dragonrage. It doesn't do as much damage but 10% heal per hit is required to stay alive in heavier fights. Plus the faster swing rate lets you generate more stamina which means longer Ring of Pain.

My abilities at the moment (level 9) are Devour, Ring of Pain, Mighty Blow, and the other one. I like Mighty Blow because it has a knockdown, good for mages and despair demons trying to run away. Might switch it for Earthshaker, but apart from that I'm now just picking up passives to increase my murdering ability.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh my god these floor panel puzzles in the Well of Sorrows. Does anyone know of any solutions online? I am terrible at these things.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

To add even further to the clusterfuck of this, not only is Cole genuinely happier as a spirit, he also becomes better suited to helping people in more helpful, compassionate ways. BUT it's sort of an "ignorance is bliss" type of happiness, because without being able to truly grow or understand people, he'll never have any lasting, meaningful relationships with them; it's implied that he and [his friend from the novel] Rhys will never reconcile. When all is said and done, he'll probably make the Inquisitor forget him too.

If Cole becomes more human, he'll end up being able to learn from his experiences and truly connect with the people of this world; he says that he now understands why Rhys was angry with him. But not only is he now afflicted with all the real pangs and hardships of the real world, his ability to help others with their troubles is even further hampered.

It is by far one of the toughest choices of any Bioware game, not exactly a "Will you make Ashley more or less racist??" type of decision.

Without reading this it sounds cool, can you non-spoil me how I can make sure I don't miss whatever quest this is?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Kilazar posted:

Is there a guide on how to make faces without crazy monkey mouth? For some reason in every bioware game, my dudes or chicks end up with weird rear end mouth chin area's. It looks fine on the character create screen. But then they talk in the first cutscene and it looks like my char got the mouth of a chimpanzee.

After about 5 char remakes I just gave up.

This is a couple pages back, but I have this same problem, and recently found this reddit page for character creation sliders. I wish Bioware had used face codes or something like ME, but this is what we got.

http://www.reddit.com/r/inquisitionsliders/

I have a human male face that I finally like, but I realize in some of the cutscenes, he was looking a bit feminine. I think I forgot to turn down the blush sliders and his eyelashes are too long.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AgentHaiTo posted:

I have a human male face that I finally like, but I realize in some of the cutscenes, he was looking a bit feminine. I think I forgot to turn down the blush sliders and his eyelashes are too long.

Long lash supremacy.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Without reading this it sounds cool, can you non-spoil me how I can make sure I don't miss whatever quest this is?

Its Cole's personal quest. Go hang with him.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Evil Canadian posted:

Haven't seen it brought up yet really, but has anyone else met the Quizquisition guy? I found him once behind the barn where blackwall stays and I failed his quiz(as it was related to the nugs and I don't know poo poo about em) and have not seen him again.

I found him inside my Inquisitor's closet after he finished talking to Josephine on his balcony. It was kind of creepy.

Polaron posted:

You don't want those refugees to be chilly and without blankets, do you?

Doing the small number of crossroads quests is a pretty good idea, at least. If you satisfy all the refugees' wants, Corporal Vale will recruit some of them, which gives you an agent and a pretty big approval boost with all your companions.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Polaron posted:

If you're not getting banter every ten minutes or so you probably have it. Try shuffling your party around and if they're still quiet, sorry.

I've only found one party configuration that avoids the bug for me, and it's the starting three (Solas, Cass, Varric). Everyone else is just quiet.

I've definitely got this bug. I tried mixing up my party, then tried rolling with the OG crew of Solas, Cass, and Varric, and it didn't help for awhile, but now those three are bantering up a storm.

Next time I hit camp I'll swap out my party to see if the rest are fixed, but: Anyone else who's been dealing with the banter bug, have you unlocked zones on the War Table without visiting them? I unlocked all the zones on the War Table basically as soon as I had the power for them, but I never actually travel to them until I was ready to do the zone. I finished up in the Western Approach and decided to see whether that might be the issue. I traveled to the zones I'd unlocked but not actually visited (Exalted Plains, Emprise du Lion, and Hissing Wastes). Then I returned to the Exalted Plains to start working on that, and suddenly I've got banter again.

This seems almost too obvious to be the issue. It seems like they would have identified that by now. Can others with the banter bug either test this out to see if it fixes things for them, or let us know if you've traveled to all your unlocked zones and still aren't getting banter?

EDIT:

Also, jesus christ Bioware (minor but sad/cool exploration find in Exalted Plains): I stumbled across a wrecked little tent with a dead family. You can loot the body of the child and find a valuable called Blood-Soaked Teddy Bear. :cry:

EDIT 2:

Donald Duck posted:

I have unlocked zones and not instantly visited them and I've never encountered it.

Figured that seemed too simple an explanation. Disregard.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 26, 2014

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
At the time my Team OG banter came back I was exploring the Exalted Plains for the first time and had unlocked the Emerald Graves but hasn't visited it. Hadn't even unlocked the Hissing Wastes yet. I still haven't been there (though it is unlocked now).

I do only seem to get the chatting back in zones I haven't explored, though I also haven't spent a lot of time in old zones lately.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm really dumb and seem to be stuck in the Templar quest.

I've gone through the Fade and need to do find the lieutenants. I found that key but when I look for the lieutenants they don't seem to be where the map indicates. I can see one of them fighting through a gate but don't see how to get through the gate. Anybody know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance, sorry I'm so bad at this.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Where can I get the tier 3 heavy armor and are tier 3 weapons/armor the best stuff I can get?

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 26, 2014

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

escalator dropdown posted:

I've definitely got this bug. I tried mixing up my party, then tried rolling with the OG crew of Solas, Cass, and Varric, and it didn't help for awhile, but now those three are bantering up a storm.

Next time I hit camp I'll swap out my party to see if the rest are fixed, but: Anyone else who's been dealing with the banter bug, have you unlocked zones on the War Table without visiting them? I unlocked all the zones on the War Table basically as soon as I had the power for them, but I never actually travel to them until I was ready to do the zone. I finished up in the Western Approach and decided to see whether that might be the issue. I traveled to the zones I'd unlocked but not actually visited (Exalted Plains, Emprise du Lion, and Hissing Wastes). Then I returned to the Exalted Plains to start working on that, and suddenly I've got banter again.

This seems almost too obvious to be the issue. It seems like they would have identified that by now. Can others with the banter bug either test this out to see if it fixes things for them, or let us know if you've traveled to all your unlocked zones and still aren't getting banter?

EDIT:

Also, jesus christ Bioware (minor but sad/cool exploration find in Exalted Plains): I stumbled across a wrecked little tent with a dead family. You can loot the body of the child and find a valuable called Blood-Soaked Teddy Bear. :cry:

I have unlocked zones and not instantly visited them and I've never encountered it.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Ditch Dragonrage for the other one on the tree. Can't remember the name (Rampage?) but it's next to Dragonrage. It doesn't do as much damage but 10% heal per hit is required to stay alive in heavier fights. Plus the faster swing rate lets you generate more stamina which means longer Ring of Pain.

My abilities at the moment (level 9) are Devour, Ring of Pain, Mighty Blow, and the other one. I like Mighty Blow because it has a knockdown, good for mages and despair demons trying to run away. Might switch it for Earthshaker, but apart from that I'm now just picking up passives to increase my murdering ability.

Thanks, luckily I haven't taken dragonrage yet, so I won't have a wasted point. I think you're right that it's called Rampage. Since I already have the block skill, maybe I'll switch it with Mighty Blow if it looks like I'm going to be tanking things based on group composition, but otherwise keep Mighty Blow around.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
For some reason my party is talking it up once again. Conversations nearly every 5 minutes. Sera questioned the colour of Cass' underwear and Iron Bull told everyone how horny he is after fighting.

This makes me weirdly happy. Hope it continues.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So I'm thinking I'm going to pick this up since I've heard tons of good things about it and that it doesn't suck like 2 did. My question is if it's worthwhile to spend the extra 10 bucks for the Deluxe edition. Things like the bog unicorn look cool, but what's the verdict?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

At least turn it to hard.

But what does that do? :v:

More health, less damage, what?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm playing on Nightmare and the difficulty varies wildly. I tried it with all three classes and some early fights were ridiculously (frustratingly) difficult, especially as a Warrior. But that's expected, especially considering how powerful your character becomes with specializations and some gear.

I barely use tactical mode, though. I usually just use it to make sure my companions are using potions/grenades properly (I recommend setting reserve to 5), as well as use Barrier manually, and to make sure my archers/mages aren't getting cleaved/AoE'd to death.

With that said, once I found out that you can break open most doors you have to lock pick, I planned on a party of 3 warriors and myself (a Mage); Once you set certain Warrior skills, like War Cry, to preferred, they can pretty much survive on their own with no micromanagement save for the occasional potion and Barrier.

P.S.: I read about some guy who is playing on Nightmare with friendly fire on and he's level 6 at 20 hours in. Seriously, don't do that. I tried and I had to severely restrict the abilities my party could use as well as micromanage them constantly; Nothing worse than killing Cassandra because Chain Lightning decides to jump between your target and her rather than the two nearby enemies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lilspooky posted:

So I'm thinking I'm going to pick this up since I've heard tons of good things about it and that it doesn't suck like 2 did. My question is if it's worthwhile to spend the extra 10 bucks for the Deluxe edition. Things like the bog unicorn look cool, but what's the verdict?

NO

get the normal game. I don''t even know what the point of the mounts are beyond being advertising bait. They prevent party banter completely among other things.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
My kingdom for a wiki of single and multi player skill trees / crafting materials guide / potion upgrade material locations / agent lists written out instead of goddamn Youtube links. How would I like and subscribe to a written out list though?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is 11 (and ten for my companions) too low to start fighting dragons? On hard mode. Also, do I need to kill a dragon in order to complete the quest to unlock Reaver?

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

lilspooky posted:

None of the in-game Deluxe extras have any bearing on the game, they're just extra gear/schematics and a few extra mounts. (The Bog Unicorn is ugly as poo poo, I haven't used the armored Inquisition mount, but my elf mage is using the Red Hart Halla. It makes annoying noises but looks nice. You quickly replace the Flames of the Inquisition gear you start off with. Later on you get schematics to craft improved versions of them, but I haven't really bothered.

I'd only recommend the Deluxe edition if you think it's worth $10 for the soundtrack (which is on Spotify/Youtube anyway), or if you're totally okay with dropping an extra $10 for some gear you might not even bother to use.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You'll be glad of a mount in some of the later zones. The Hissing Wastes, for instance...so loving big. So much nothing.

Which isn't to say that you have to pay real world money for an in-game mount.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is 11 (and ten for my companions) too low to start fighting dragons? On hard mode. Also, do I need to kill a dragon in order to complete the quest to unlock Reaver?

Unless you're incredibly good at the game, yeah. The lowest-level dragon that I know of is level 13 and it summons a bunch of friends throughout the fight.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I killed the Hinterlands dragon at that level on Hard as a Knight Enchanter. My companions used all the potions, mostly because of all the dragonlings. I think Sera and Solas might have died, but it didn't matter because I was basically able to solo it at that point. KE is great for killing dragons.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

poptart_fairy posted:

But what does that do? :v:

More health, less damage, what?

I think the difficulties have different 'changes'. For instance, when jumping from normal to hard, I didn't notice any difference in damage dealt to enemies. But I did when trying casual, as well as when going from hard to nightmare. I presume enemy HP and damage dealt changes with every difficult, though.

The pride demon you fight in the prologue is a good example. On Nightmare, if you're a Rogue, your normal attacks do something like 2 or 3 damage to it. Because everyone else was dead during most of that fight, I sped it up by taking advantage of the short period where he is incapacitated to trigger Twin Fangs' combo bonus. I eventually did that again, and decided to drop the difficulty to Hard rather than deal with that crap again. Fortunately no fight came to that level of annoying since the prologue.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Drifter posted:

NO

get the normal game. I don''t even know what the point of the mounts are beyond being advertising bait. They prevent party banter completely among other things.

Point -> Skyrim has mounts

• Locked thread