Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except that nothing in that episode showed any piloting talent at all on his part. It was all the OPness of his model being shown off. It doesn't take great skill to fire your super gun at someone outside of the range they thought you could shoot, and then he just cut through the shields of the final suit, showing that his model is superior to everything!

well it does help establish that Sakai can build some mean model kits and showing how good the mobile suit is important to establish Sakai as a rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

It didn't really hit me that there's characters named both Sekai and Sakai. This makes the thread make a whole lot more sense, and also means I've been calling Sekai by the wrong name for half the season. :v:

It took me forever to stop getting them mixed up. I am surprised the show hasn't made a joke about it yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gyanko is a much more interesting character with more relevance to the show than the team that is going to lose next episode, so yes, it would have been nice to see her have any success at all, Dickeye.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

Gyanko is a much more interesting character with more relevance to the show than the team that is going to lose next episode, so yes, it would have been nice to see her have any success at all, Dickeye.

I agree. If you don't understand why she didn't blow away the team leader though you're an idiot.'

It'd be great if you morons could respond to things I actually say instead of just flailing and shrieking about how dumb and bad the show is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I agree. If you don't understand why she didn't blow away the team leader though you're an idiot.'

It'd be great if you morons could respond to things I actually say instead of just flailing and shrieking about how dumb and bad the show is.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ahahahaa

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Ahahahaa

Good responses from good posters.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I did like the whole "+2 others" thing a lot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Person who absolutely hates the no good Robot Fight Show and wants nothing more than to see it destroyed: It would be really cool if instead of being absolutely wrecked, Gyanko had caught the dudes sword with her shield, yelled about not underestimating her, and messed him up real good even if she still lost in the end, I would have liked that a lot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

Person who absolutely hates the no good Robot Fight Show and wants nothing more than to see it destroyed: It would be really cool if instead of being absolutely wrecked, Gyanko had caught the dudes sword with her shield, yelled about not underestimating her, and messed him up real good even if she still lost in the end, I would have liked that a lot.

I agree with this it's almost like you're responding to a thing you're imagining me saying and not what I'm actually saying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I agree with this it's almost like you're responding to a thing you're imagining me saying and not what I'm actually saying.

*In attractive cool guy Dickeye voice*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

*In attractive cool guy Dickeye voice*

Yeah you should point to where I said I didn't think Gyanko should do anything at all instead of "it's dumb to think she should have beaten the guy" because I said one of those things and not the other one.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah you should point to where I said I didn't think Gyanko should do anything at all instead of "it's dumb to think she should have beaten the guy" because I said one of those things and not the other one.

I don't think you can actually read, or you would have noticed I'm not making fun of that part of the post.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sharkopath posted:

A bigger problem is that the show so far isn't really good at handling tension, you know the protagonists are almost always going to win, and the enemies almost always lose, but there are simple things you can do to make sure that it's still very interesting and create doubt in the viewers mind.

Here's a thing: Instead of being chumped and gundam murdered, why couldn't Gyanko take down at least one of the GMaster people first? If the intention is to show them as a dangerous threat they already succeeded with the taking out of Gyanko's teammate and the reactions from both Yuuma and Sekai. Gyanko recovering from their loss and bringing the fight back to them for at least a short while would have been a good way to introduce more tension into that fight, but it fizzled out very quickly instead.

Yeah, I really wished she had went berserk trying to make it to the finals instead of going out with a whimper like she did. She should've at least blown up that smarmy gundam v pilot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharkopath posted:

I don't think you can actually read, or you would have noticed I'm not making fun of that part of the post.

Sharkopath posted:

So again: You're busy arguing with me about a thing I never said. Craaaaaaazy

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Stop posting about posting, that got the Greco thread closed.

I hope Sekai still goes on that date with Gyanko.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Level Slide posted:

This thread being closed would be good, and cool. This thread is awful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So again: You're busy arguing with me about a thing I never said. Craaaaaaazy

Might be a good idea to clarify what you said then, to dispel any confusion on the matter!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

At the very least Gyanko should've taken out that girl she had started establishing a rivalry with earlier in the episode. Like, I get that they needed to hype up the Mega-Shiki and Suga, but having her take out one suit wouldn't have been too much, would it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

Yeah, I really wished she had went berserk trying to make it to the finals instead of going out with a whimper like she did. She should've at least blown up that smarmy gundam v pilot.

To be fair, Gyanko's tragic newtype girl death was kind of funny. Would've been nice if she'd been able to do more, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Might be a good idea to clarify what you said then, to dispel any confusion on the matter!

Jeeze this reading poo poo is loving hard it's way easier to just flail wildly at windmills.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Him and Hoshino are gonna eat steamed buns during the national tournament and build robots there will be gratuitous cameos it will be great. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At the very least Gyanko should've taken out that girl she had started establishing a rivalry with earlier in the episode. Like, I get that they needed to hype up the Mega-Shiki and Suga, but having her take out one suit wouldn't have been too much, would it?

Realistically speaking? No, she shouldn't have been able to take out Yomi given the circumstances. Maybe they could have structured the fight differently to give her a chance, but the moment it became a 3v1 gyanko has no right of taking anyone out short of a suicide attack.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, while I do think it would have been more fitting for her to take out the guy that fought her brother (since not-Sleggar is the big threat that's being hyped up so obviously he's being saved for Team Try to take out), that would also have been acceptable! I'm not too picky about it, I just wanted Gyanko to get some chance to shine :(

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Realistically speaking? No, she shouldn't have been able to take out Yomi given the circumstances. Maybe they could have structured the fight differently to give her a chance, but the moment it became a 3v1 gyanko has no right of taking anyone out short of a suicide attack.

The fight would be structured differently if that happened? I thought that was implied. Even if not, there've been plenty of battles where the protagonist is able to defeat a large number of enemies against overwhelming odds. Putting up a fight and taking out a suit wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for a show where they make the little plastic robots fight eachother.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean its pretty easy to figure out that once you lose a member you are incredibly hosed in gunpla team battles since the losing team is forced to go into the offensive to try and equalize the numbers while the winning team can just turtle and win by time out.

In other team based games you have mechanisms to stall out till the situation improves. Or you have matches where you might do badly in one round but better in the other. You are properly hosed in gunpla battles if you ever get to the point that you have a handicap unless you are loving insane and can carry the group by yourself.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jeeze this reading poo poo is loving hard it's way easier to just flail wildly at windmills.

Uuuuh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean its pretty easy to figure out that once you lose a member you are incredibly hosed in gunpla team battles since the losing team is forced to go into the offensive to try and equalize the numbers while the winning team can just turtle and win by time out.

In other team based games you have mechanisms to stall out till the situation improves. Or you have matches where you might do badly in one round but better in the other. You are properly hosed in gunpla battles if you ever get to the point that you have a handicap unless you are loving insane and can carry the group by yourself.

I'd say thats more a mechanic of the path the writers have chosen to take, in somebody elses hands the Team Battle format might have really shone and hell, maybe it still will further down the line.

I expect they'll have at least one episode where team Try Fighters goes down to one and they have to make a comeback victory against overwhelming odds, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyanko charging one of them to get a kill and then the other 2 destroying her could still be a thing that happens in that situation.

You don't really have to worry about realism when you're writing a story, especially in a fictional sport. Besides I wouldn't put it against this show to have Sekai being outnumbered at some point (plus the first season had a few moments that showed how individual skill trumps numbers easily).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A cool Fuumina centric episode could have her losing her teammates and carrying on the fight alone in the Winning Gundam, showing off all its crazy gimmicks that don't relate to it being a powerup.

That would be neato!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The whole point of Gyanko's team is that she is that insane, and can carry the entire team by herself, though? While realistically that's how a team based battle should work, it hasn't been how they've been working at all during the season. There's been very little teamwork, just 3 1v1 battles.

Whether or not that's how it would work in the real world isn't necessarily how it should work in the show. The battles don't need to be realistic (they'd be really rather boring if they were, the way the show has set them up so far,) they need to be interesting, and work with the characters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I would also like to clarify that it was actually this thread that got closed, not the greco one, when people started getting really mad and defensive over other people not showing the proper levels of enthusiasm.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This episode had some enjoyable moments, but overall I wasn't really pleased with how it played out at the end.

The big problem with Try's cast so far is that Team Try Fighters aren't being allowed to bounce off the other members of the cast. The first season established all these supporting characters for Sei and Reiji to bounce off of and have good interaction with before finally getting down to the actual fights in the latter half of the season.

Try's cast isn't being allowed to do that. Instead, all the supporting characters are basically being introduced as SUPER SERIOUS THREATS or potential rivals/love interests, and not being given any time to actually interact with the protagonists beyond that, assuming they even bother interacting with them at all (looking at you Team SRSC).

And the fight was really disappointing. I'm not mad that Team Song Dynasty Vase got Worfed to establish Team G-Master as SUPER SERIOUS THREATS, because I went in expecting that outcome. I'm mad that they basically just had Gyanko roll over and go out with a whimper instead of actually putting up a real fight. Instead, the Third Frost Brother instantly OHKO's Keiko, V-Tsundere needles Gyanko and annoys her while doing nothing significant, and then NotSleggar takes down Mahiru without any effort. At which point the Pay-to-Win-Shiki swoops in and puts Gyanko down like a crippled animal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The whole point of Gyanko's team is that she is that insane, and can carry the entire team by herself, though?
Its not? Thats Shimon's team. Gyanko has always been portrayed as on the same tier as the other competent player in the individual spectrum, maybe slightly better than some. Mahiru and Keiko are okish by themselves but not active deadweights.

And I agree that the fights dont need to realistic, and the writers could take their time to actually do fights where scenarios could play differently. Right now it still feels like they are rushing everything instead of actually taking their time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

The big problem with Try's cast so far is that Team Try Fighters aren't being allowed to bounce off the other members of the cast. The first season established all these supporting characters for Sei and Reiji to bounce off of and have good interaction with before finally getting down to the actual fights in the latter half of the season.

I agree with this.

So far the only one who really plays off other characters is Sekai and he's the most boring member of the team to do so. He just sort of stands around and stares and then goes "BUT FIGHTING" once everyone else is done. (It was really apparent this episode where Gyanko and the G-MASTER girl were having actual interaction before Sekai ended the scene with his generic fighting comments.)

Yuuma has barely talked to anyone who isn't Fumina and Sekai and even with them he's like a third wheel. Fumina and him were supposed to be super-close friends who made an important promise to each other so why have they barely had 10 lines to each other since he joined the team? He isn't even having a silly crush on Sekai's sister anymore, he isn't really doing anything.

Fumina gets lines but it feels like every time it is time to talk to a rival she ends up standing on the sidelines and letting someone else do it, and then she talks to Sekai about how he feels about it. Even when she tried to do it she's blocked. (Like her trying to talk to the kid brother last episode and just getting Sekaiblocked.)

They don't interact with other team members and they barely interact with each other. That is really the core problem of the Try team. The only real interact they get is Fumina and Sekai talking and those conversations are boring as hell, aside from Episode 1 where the two of them were pretty funny together.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not? Thats Shimon's team. Gyanko has always been portrayed as on the same tier as the other competent player in the individual spectrum, maybe slightly better than some. Mahiru and Keiko are okish by themselves but not active deadweights.

And I agree that the fights dont need to realistic, and the writers could take their time to actually do fights where scenarios could play differently. Right now it still feels like they are rushing everything instead of actually taking their time.

She nearly took out fumina in a 3v1 battle. If sekai hadn't deus ex tornadoed her shield missle volley fumina's gm cardigan would've been wrecked (again).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Literally The Worst you are actually the worst poster in this thread that includes me and ImpAtom. Please just shut up.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I can't believe there's going to be a love square between the gunpla guy, fumina, sekai and gyanko.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Condiv posted:

She nearly took out fumina in a 3v1 battle. If sekai hadn't deus ex tornadoed her shield missle volley fumina's gm cardigan would've been wrecked (again).

Fumina was already messed up, against a wall and it didnt happen because the team stepped in to stop it. If you noticed, she tried to missile Yomi too, but Sleggar intercepted the missiles with his own. Which sort of proves that once you are handicapped you are sort of hosed.

I would love to see a fight where people get taken out but the enemy suffers so much damage in the process that they dont tip the scales too badly. The thing I miss most is how visceral the fights could get in BF

Ka0 posted:

I can't believe there's going to be a love square between the gunpla guy, fumina, sekai and gyanko.

Sakai hasn't really seen Sekai's sister yet. So It could be triple triangles all the way round!

e-I still dont know how lady is going to fit into all of this.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I really, really wanted Gyanko to subtly take out her eyedrop bottles during her 'death' scene and shake it to have those sparkling tears but alas it was not to be.

• Locked thread