Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In case anyone is wondering my watch is still running a sync loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

More things need fixing on the Band!

Doing anything through voice control turns on the phone screen to run Cortana. If the phone is in your pocket get ready for all sorts of random screen taps and swipes running god knows what, especially with a sensitive (Lumia) screen. A workaround is to have a passcode (I don't) which brings you back to the lock screen without activating anything.

Which helped me notice you can bypass the lock screen and send txt mssgs and emails and whatever through Cortana without a passcode!

loving awful.

This is the most annoying thing on Window's phone. It happens with headphones as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp the moto 360 update.. or maybe its the android wear app is now putting "ok google" on all watchfaces.

WHAT THE gently caress.

I know the words.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nthalp posted:

welp the moto 360 update.. or maybe its the android wear app is now putting "ok google" on all watchfaces.

WHAT THE gently caress.

I know the words.

Use it for about 3-5 times and then it will go away.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's old.

There hasn't even been an update for a month or whatever.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bull3964 posted:

Use it for about 3-5 times and then it will go away.

ah.. thanks.. I dont ever use it. Much appreciated.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nthalp posted:

ah.. thanks.. I dont ever use it. Much appreciated.

You only use it for notifications then? I use the voice stuff constantly. Texting etc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Reverse Centaur posted:

You only use it for notifications then? I use the voice stuff constantly. Texting etc.

i like the maps sync, the pedometer, the music on bluetooth, and notifications. Id turn off the mic if i could Im always getting a watch full of half a sentence that was not addressed to mr google.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My coworkers think it's the funniest thing ever to yell "OKAY GOOGLE!" when we're at lunch and they see my 360 light up.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Giving up on the Band. It's a really great v1, but I tried wearing it during a workout for the first time, and :suicide: It's fine if you're just running or whatever, doing cardio. But try to lift anything and the pressure it puts on your wrist tendons makes it impossible without hurting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nthalp posted:

i like the maps sync, the pedometer, the music on bluetooth, and notifications. Id turn off the mic if i could Im always getting a watch full of half a sentence that was not addressed to mr google.

That happens to me all the time. I'll look down and my watch has just google something random.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Len posted:

That happens to me all the time. I'll look down and my watch has just google something random.

some of the conversations google listens into are gonna really gently caress up my search history forever.

"kicking babies" open on phone?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nthalp posted:

some of the conversations google listens into are gonna really gently caress up my search history forever.

is it from things touching the screen, triggering the listening as opposed to it thinking it heard "ok google" ? I've never had anything like that happen on my G watch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

My coworkers think it's the funniest thing ever to yell "OKAY GOOGLE!" when we're at lunch and they see my 360 light up.

When I had the Moto 360, I'd say "Ok Google" and my tablet, phone, watch, and laptop start listening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nerdrock posted:

is it from things touching the screen, triggering the listening as opposed to it thinking it heard "ok google" ? I've never had anything like that happen on my G watch.

In my case it's a combination of both. Sometimes it thinks I said "okay google" other times a small child pokes at my watch because they think it's cool as poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Folding my arms catches me out. I usually trigger the watch face change.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Folding my arms catches me out. I usually trigger the watch face change.

I like to fold my arms during a movie so I get this buzz happening every few minutes as it switches watch faces.

Also I'm left handed so I kinda need to take the watch off when I use a computer because it affects my mouse hand.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When I had the Moto 360, I'd say "Ok Google" and my tablet, phone, watch, and laptop start listening.
On my Nexus 5 the phone will only listen when the watch isn't which is nice. If the phone is on you can actually see the microphone symbol change when the watch screen turns on/off.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 26, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

On my Nexus 5 the phone will only listen when the watch isn't which is nice. If the phone is on you can actually see the microphone symbol change when you the watch screen turns on/off.

Same, I've never had my Note 3 and G Watch R try to listen at the same time.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Not using an English accent fucks it up too, I tried it out with 'Check the weather' and gave me 'chicks with dicks'. wtf google

Using a thick american accent works perfectly, but it's idiotic enough talking to a watch so...

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Sterf posted:

Not using an English accent fucks it up too, I tried it out with 'Check the weather' and gave me 'chicks with dicks'. wtf google

Judging only by this misinterpretation: are you from New Zealand?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sterf posted:

Using a thick american accent works perfectly, but it's idiotic enough talking to a watch so...

What's a thick American accent? John Wayne?

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I'm Flemish Belgian with somehow a French accent. And about the thick American accent, I mean the whole rolling tongue thing. But yeah, talking like John Wayne does the trick :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's a thick American accent? John Wayne?

It might be odd to think about, but Hugh Laurie in House is a good example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, the new google play services is causing android wear to say "Sync Loop" for a large number of people now. It doesn't appear to affect functionality or battery life (at least not for most people), but something obviously isn't right.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80936

Looks like turning off Developer options on the phone and cycling bluetooth fixes it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 26, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

So, the new google play services is causing android wear to say "Sync Loop" for a large number of people now. It doesn't appear to affect functionality or battery life (at least not for most people), but something obviously isn't right.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80936

Looks like turning off Developer options on the phone and cycling bluetooth fixes it.

Gonna try this out. I've been syncing since the 22nd.

Edit: it really was that easy to stop the sync loop.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there any easy way to resize the band on the Moto 360 silver - the version that came with a default metal band? I've got plain old average wrists and the band is just a hair too big. Unlike most metal watches I've seen, it has no arrows indicating the direction to strike out the pins, and the pins are TINY as all hell - I bent a straight pin, paper clip and thin finishing nail trying from both directions and neither seems to give it a budge.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I just performed this operation tonight. Like you said, it would not budge when using a paperclip or needle, so I got this kit to do it.

I unscrewed the vice thing because the strap did not fit in the vice's cutout area, and stood the watch on the watchband holder. I used the unscrewed vice and the hammer to start pushing the pin out. Once it could be pushed no more, I used the pliers to pull the rest of the pin out. :siren: Beware that there are small tubes in the links that will probably fall out when you pry the pin out. :siren: After that, do it again to remove a link, then join the remaining links together, and hammer the pin back in. I don't think it matters which side you knock the pin out from.

It was kind of a pain, but now that I know what I'm doing, next time shouldn't be so hard.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Awesome, thank you.

In the interim, I get to try and figure out why the watch won't vibrate on text notification. My phone is set to vibrate, and it's not set as one of the blocked apps in Android Wear, but my watch simply won't vibrate. The cards are there, but I don't know unless I look at my wrist or hear my phone go off.

Edit: Factory reset saves the day. Watch vibrates now.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 27, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not technically a Wearable, but this is the most relevant thread:

Has anyone pre-ordered a Plastc card?

It seems almost to good to be true and I was hoping maybe someone here had more information regarding how serious the project is.

Also, will the card work with ATM machines? That would be fantastic.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It looks a lot like that Coin Card thats supposed to be out soon.

Its a neat idea, but I think when the laws pass requiring chips in the cards both will be obsolete.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I pre-ordered a coin, even though our bank cards are mostly chip+pin already (all of mine are)... because a lot of retailers here issue loyalty cards that are mag-stripe based, and I never carry any of them due to wanting to keep a slim wallet, so it would still be useful for non-banking uses.

PlastC's reprogrammable chip is supposed to store multiple chips, so it shouldn't be affected by the US chip enforcement... I'm pretty keen on getting a PlastC to replace my 3 chip bank cards, but I decided against pre-ordering because I didn't want to risk my bank accounts to a first gen device (or the possibility they're backed by the Russian mafia or whatever).

If the PlastC works well then I'll probably get one of those for my bank cards and loyalty cards as well (it also has a programmable magnetic strip), and give the Coin to my wife for all her loyalty cards instead.

Of course, my great plans for wallet downsizing are also entirely dependent on Coin and PlastC's Windows Phone support, so I guess I'm going to be stuck with a fat wallet for quite a while (I mailed Coin's support a few months ago to ask about WP8 support and they said that is not happening for launch at least).

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm looking for a watch for Christmas. I love the look of the 360, but I hear the battery life isn't that good and it has screen door effects. Anyone with one for their opinion?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Spaced God posted:

I'm looking for a watch for Christmas. I love the look of the 360, but I hear the battery life isn't that good and it has screen door effects. Anyone with one for their opinion?

Look at the asus zenwatch

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Spaced God posted:

If you like the look of the G Watch R it's better in every way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spaced God posted:

I get over 24 hours of use out of it regularly so it's really not as big a deal as people make it out to be. I've loved my watch and haven't had any issues with it so far.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Verizon is selling the LG GWatch for 100. Is this a mistake to purchase?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Spaced God posted:

Anecdotal and all, but I got my Moto 360 yesterday. I took it off the cradle at 6AM this morning; it's 9PM and it's at 67% battery and that's with showing it off to the family for awhile and showcasing all sorts of Google Now fun stuff. My HTC M8 has lower battery.

I'm not using Ambient Mode, though. I don't need to see the screen unless I'm looking at it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mortanis posted:

I don't need to see the screen unless I'm looking at it.

Which the phone only does if you flick your wrist properly or tap it. When you are driving or something and glance at your watch it will probably be off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Skywalker OG posted:

Verizon is selling the LG GWatch for 100. Is this a mistake to purchase?

There's nothing wrong with it technically. Aesthetically it's not so hot but if you like it you like it.