Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's an attraction. They might have drugged him with super hormones to make it big as hell to impress visitors.

Also, thanks for telling me about the new Jurasic Park trailler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That makes me want to see that in a regular zoo movie, straight up. Like people walking through the zoo, and in the background presented without comment is an elephant that's 40 feet high at the shoulder. No one mentions it or anything, they just ooh and ahh at the kangaroos, of which one is 15 feet high. The dad brightly says "hormones!" It is a good time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theironjef posted:

The Mosasaurus is the Jurassic World trailer is way the goddamn hell too big. It's shown swallowing a big Great White whole which would make it easily around 100-110 feet long, and Mosasaurus topped out around 50-59. It'd be fine if the tone of the trailer wasn't Chris Pratt being surprised at engineering new dinosaur traits, since they clearly already have a giant terrifying adult one around he should have known about.

Clearly, without any other predators and in a large enough enclosure they can grow to be bigger. Just like some animals grow bigger in captivity due to good feeding/conditions/etc. :colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I tell you what irrationally irritated me from that trailer:

Female scientist: 'we made a genetically engineered hybrid dinosaur'
Everyone else: 'oh holy gently caress wtf have you done?'

Genetically engineered hybrid dinosaurs were the loving problem all along, morons, or have you forgotten that they could only reproduce because you crossed them with frogs?

Or is this some sort of series reboot?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thespaceinvader posted:

I tell you what irrationally irritated me from that trailer:

Female scientist: 'we made a genetically engineered hybrid dinosaur'
Everyone else: 'oh holy gently caress wtf have you done?'

Genetically engineered hybrid dinosaurs were the loving problem all along, morons, or have you forgotten that they could only reproduce because you crossed them with frogs?

Or is this some sort of series reboot?

It's a piece of poo poo cash grab with "superior" CGI. Think Transformers 4 or 5 only with dinosaurs. It's gonna suck.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But... Transformers 4 already had dinosaurs :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
'Cash grab' is the stupidest loving criticism. OF COURSE THE STUDIO WANTS TO MAKE MONEY YOU loving MORON, AND SEQUELS MEAN YOU HAVE BUILT IN AUDIENCE RECOGNITION.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The original Jurassic Park was art for art's sake, don't you see.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The music in the trailer was chilling and moving to a nostalgic old fan of the first movie, so blah blah hollywood moneygrab Imma see it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just want to see Chris Pratt roll out with his Raptor crew doing random poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a piece of poo poo cash grab with "superior" CGI. Think Transformers 4 or 5 only with dinosaurs. It's gonna suck.

I hate to be "That guy" but the CGI looks really bad even compared to the original. I guess it's because the original knew how to hide it and when to use practical effects. This film clearly doesn't.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Even the freaking gate was CGI. How hard is it to get some plywood up?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

mng posted:

But :effort:

Seriously though, I'm not one of these people who bitches about CGI or smugs it up about how "you can always tell" but it gets used way too loving much. CGI fires are the worst, just buy some loving matches for christ's sake.

Having said all that, I'll pay good money to see Chris Pratt as Muldoon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's always the chance they'll be upgrading the cgi. Remember the Guardians of the Galaxy trailers? They went from kinda detailed and semi poo poo CGI to pretty awesome.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

RagnarokAngel posted:

I hate to be "That guy" but the CGI looks really bad even compared to the original. I guess it's because the original knew how to hide it and when to use practical effects. This film clearly doesn't.

A. It's a trailer far in advance of the movie's release. Of course the CGI looks bad. I wish they would stop doing this, of course, but these are multi-million dollar enterprises so I'm sure it must be worth it.

B. (Not directed to the guy I quoted) It's directed by a basically untested indie film director (Colin Trevorrow) so I'm willing to give it a shot. They definitely didn't Bay it up.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chris Pratt is leading a flock (?) of velocipators on a motorbike.

How can i hate this movie?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mng posted:

Also it looks like Optimus Prime's head when it's opening.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The original had a 2-1 ratio of practical effects to CGI. I'm betting this one will be 95% CGI.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

theironjef posted:

The Mosasaurus is the Jurassic World trailer is way the goddamn hell too big. It's shown swallowing a big Great White whole which would make it easily around 100-110 feet long, and Mosasaurus topped out around 50-59. It'd be fine if the tone of the trailer wasn't Chris Pratt being surprised at engineering new dinosaur traits, since they clearly already have a giant terrifying adult one around he should have known about.

I always love the fact that the Blue Whale is the biggest creature to have ever existed on the planet as far as we can tell.

Also Im pretty sure that predators have a reasonably set size limit based on their ability to actually catch enough things to not starve to death. Easy when you can just filter your food out of millions of litres of water.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I don't want to see the super badass dinosaur whale eat a regular whale, as it never existed. I don't want to see Batman, who also never existed, either.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am Irrationally Irritated that all the dinosaurs aren't covered in feathers this time around.

Preferably without a single word of explanation as to why they don't look like the old ones.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am Irrationally Irritated that all the dinosaurs aren't covered in feathers this time around.

Preferably without a single word of explanation as to why they don't look like the old ones.

Well you are pretty biased :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Theyre crossed with frogs, come on man.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

KoB posted:

Theyre crossed with frogs, come on man.

Well I didn't say I was rationally irritated

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
How in the world did they get blood of an aquatic dinosaur from a mosquito?

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

The mosquito caught it while it was somehow rocketing roughly half of its ludicrously overscaled body up out of the water. Whatever thrust it takes to breach 100 tons of predator meat straight up 50 feet to eat a shark, that part also takes a while, so aggressive grapefruit-sized Jurrasic World style mosquitos can get in there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the book they're mostly frog and bird or something.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Aphrodite posted:

In the book they're mostly frog and bird or something.

I'd totally go to a Jurassic Park with tiny little frog sized T-Rex's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
After watching that trailer a few times, it actually doesn't look half bad. And when I said "cash grab", I didn't mean that I didn't understand that studios want to make money. It was more along the lines of "is this really necessary?" Like splitting the Hobbit into three films, for instance.

Sometimes it's pretty blatant and, as a cynic, it turns me off right away. Same with too much product placement, toy tie ins and just...one...more...sequel. I can't believe there have been, what, 6 Fast and Furious movies and 4 Transformers ones?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't believe there have been, what, 6 Fast and Furious movies
Yeah but the last two were loving amazing somehow. I am genuinely hyped for the seventh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

As I understand it, the supposed dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are actually more genetically engineered than cloned, thus neatly explaining all the inaccuracies and how they managed to create such variety.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

As I understand it, the supposed dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are actually more genetically engineered than cloned, thus neatly explaining all the inaccuracies and how they managed to create such variety.

It's honestly a really perfect cop-out to anybody who even attempts to :goonsay: the stupidity in them.

"Oh that T-Rex pen is now over a cliff when a few minutes ago it was a dense thicket of trees? Well the dinosaurs are half-frogs so they're not 100% what dinosaurs would be like :smug:"

It also made me lol quite hard when the Jurassic World trailer made such a big deal out of this "NEW GENETIC SPECIMEN" as though that isn't what every single dinosaur in the park already technically was-- and that fact was a huge plot point in the original and why the single-gendered dinosaurs started to breed. It really bodes well for this cash-in remake that they were so up-front about how stupid they are even by the already loose and stupid standards of the original.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but the last two were loving amazing somehow. I am genuinely hyped for the seventh.

Yeah somewhere along the line they stopped being just dumb car racing movies and turned into Vin Diesel & Friends commit elaborate heists and wreck sweet cars in the process. It's barely about the cars anymore.

Jurassic World looks stupid. Raptor Buddies belongs in a different tone of movie, this one looks all typical monster flick "SCIENCE GONE MAD" then all of a sudden Chris Pratt is driving along with his friend raptors, it doesn't match up. Might just be how the trailer is edited and obviously the movie might deliver, but the trailer made me sad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cashing in on the lucrative dinosaur movie in 2015 market.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My irrational irritation with JW is that it released a trailer for its trailer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Febreeze posted:

Yeah somewhere along the line they stopped being just dumb car racing movies and turned into Vin Diesel & Friends commit elaborate heists and wreck sweet cars in the process. It's barely about the cars anymore.

The moment that the series became great was the moment they realized they could bring in the Rock and do some sweet double-team wrestling moves :hellyeah:

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
I loving love The Rock. Unironically if that's now a thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Warren Zevon posted:

I loving love The Rock. Unironically if that's now a thing.

All I want is a Riddick sequel co-starring the Rock called RidRockulous. Is that so much to ask?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Febreeze posted:

Jurassic World looks stupid. Raptor Buddies belongs in a different tone of movie, this one looks all typical monster flick "SCIENCE GONE MAD" then all of a sudden Chris Pratt is driving along with his friend raptors it doesn't match up. Might just be how the trailer is edited and obviously the movie might deliver, but the trailer made me sad.

I assumed he was being chased by them and is escaping on a motorbike, but I legitimately want Jurrasic World: Hell's Raptors to happen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerusalem posted:

All I want is a Riddick sequel co-starring the Rock called RidRockulous. Is that so much to ask?

Wrong thread this is a perfectly rational thing to want.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Nov 27, 2014