Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Why won't anyone mention that Chuikov basically means "Dickson" or "Penister"? :gonk:

Also, yes, Lithuanian tartars. Story goes that our dukes got so impressed by them, he couldn't help but bring some over. Tartars and Crimean Karaites are the ethnic minorities that nobody has any beef with. Unfortunately, they're very minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Huy is "dick", " chuy" isn't anything. The C isn't silent.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Huy is "dick", " chuy" isn't anything. The C isn't silent.

In my defense, I would probably not notice the difference.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Well, my dudes don't carry things; women or servants do much of the heavy labor in their subculture

But think how much those hats weigh.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
This morning, old joke that's probably originally from the 17th century or maybe 18th. Takes place in Finland, which at the time was part of Sweden.

Matti the Farmhand gets picked by the conscription board to serve from his rote (every ten homesteads had to supply one soldier, the board picked who had to serve). When he's leaving for Germany together with an officer, his mom says to the officer "Couldn't we just kill Matti here to save everyone a lot of trouble?"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The professor I work for told his freshman class that, since he knows that obviously the Civil War is a complex issue, the easiest way for new scholars to understand it is to read Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It's 7:52 am, time for the battleship in the river to explode! No Germans in sight, but that doesn't stop HMS Bulwark from spontaneously combusting today. The investigation will discover serious breaches of magazine safety procedures, that almost certainly were responsible for the loss of the ship. Which I'm sure the Royal Navy will immediately take on board, and take swift action to ensure that nothing like this will ever happen again. Right?

We've also got some interesting reports of early fraternisation between men on opposing sides (sub-headline "Hot Tea Armistice"), and there's a development in the battle for Serbia. Just guess what it is. Oh, and a ship arrives from America to deliver Christmas presents to the whole of Europe. No, really. I'm not making that up.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

corn in the bible posted:

The professor I work for told his freshman class that, since he knows that obviously the Civil War is a complex issue, the easiest way for new scholars to understand it is to read Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove.

That's totally absurd, of course, but "the Confederacy was sufficiently evil in its aims that a group of white supremacists festooned with Nazi symbolism traveled through time to ensure it survived" is a fun jumping-off point for freshman discussion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Merry Marauder posted:

That's totally absurd, of course, but "the Confederacy was sufficiently evil in its aims that a group of white supremacists festooned with Nazi symbolism traveled through time to ensure it survived" is a fun jumping-off point for freshman discussion.

No, he meant it as a way to understand the Confederacy wasn't that bad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Speaking of the US civil war, someone told me there was a former Confederate general who led a black militia against a white supremacist riot sometime after the end of the war. Is this bullshit or was there some bizarre set of circumstances that might be interesting to hear about?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my dad posted:

Speaking of the US civil war, someone told me there was a former Confederate general who led a black militia against a white supremacist riot sometime after the end of the war. Is this bullshit or was there some bizarre set of circumstances that might be interesting to hear about?

General Longstreet, who endorsed Grant for president, served under the Republican governor during Reconstruction, and after the battle had to move out of New Orleans due to concerns for his family's safety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my dad posted:

General James Longstreet, the riot in New Orleans was referred to as the Battle of Liberty Place. Longstreet's reputation as a general was greatly harmed by Lost Causers pissed off by his postwar Republicanism.

E: beaten, always beaten

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Where the Confederacy wasn't really that racist, and seeing the racists from Apartheid South Africa makes them peacefully give up slavery.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

No, he meant it as a way to understand the Confederacy wasn't that bad.

That must have been weird. I know professors who would pull that kind of crap as a joke, so now I imagine the class laughing, only to suddenly notice the professors' angry looks: Then they slowly begin to realize he was entirely serious with this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StashAugustine posted:

General Longstreet, who endorsed Grant for president, served under the Republican governor during Reconstruction, and after the battle had to move out of New Orleans due to concerns for his family's safety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

P-Mack posted:

General James Longstreet, the riot in New Orleans was referred to as the Battle of Liberty Place. Longstreet's reputation as a general was greatly harmed by Lost Causers pissed off by his postwar Republicanism.

Man, that Liberty Monument is hella racist.

Sooo, this Longstreet dude beats the poo poo out of the Union repeatedly, advises against Picket's charge, crushes the flanks of a Union army in a later battle, and somehow ends up being considered a bad general? Does the Lost Cause propaganda really hold so much sway in America?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

my dad posted:

Sooo, this Longstreet dude beats the poo poo out of the Union repeatedly, advises against Picket's charge, crushes the flanks of a Union army in a later battle, and somehow ends up being considered a bad general? Does the Lost Cause propaganda really hold so much sway in America?

Many people believe that the Civil War was about states' rights with slavery a minor side effect, because that's what they learned in school.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Many people believe that the Civil War was about states' rights with slavery a minor side effect, because that's what they learned in school.

Those schools must be really lovely.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Yes. This is the American school system were talking about.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Chamale posted:

I am starting to understand some of the underlying issues of American society now. :stare: And I thought the whole 'women don't get a paid pregnancy leave' thing was the biggest surprise it had in store for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Libluini posted:

That must have been weird. I know professors who would pull that kind of crap as a joke, so now I imagine the class laughing, only to suddenly notice the professors' angry looks: Then they slowly begin to realize he was entirely serious with this.

They actually didn't react at all, but then they also probably don't know what Guns of the South is about. I was more surprised when nobody was upset by the explanation that Andrew Jackson was really pro-Indian and did the right thing for the country. Hopefully they're just ignoring him, as freshmen so often do, and not honestly believing the things he teaches because goddamn dude stop being crazy

e:

my dad posted:

The Lost Cause is being reexamined but for a long time it shaped pretty much all lower education and iconography in the South. Stonewall Jackson was regularly held up as one of the best generals of American history and a symbol of the Lost Cause largely because he died before the Confederacy lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Libluini posted:

Got schooled in Georgia, and was told the opposite. That it was about Slavery with states rights as a side effect. So I don't know where the hell these schools are if they're not in the stomach of the [former] Confederacy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

You know the saying that the winners write history? Reconstruction was a major campaign against a southern insurgency and the south won big. It's a relatively recent thing that that's starting to get challenged.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chamale posted:

We of course call these people, insane morons.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

We of course call these people, insane morons.

I don't blame people for not having a good education. Aren't public schools in USA paid by local property taxes? That means that not everyone gets to go to a good school.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't necessarily have a problem with people who say the war was over "states' rights", so long as that is caveated by noting that states deciding for themselves the legality of chattel slavery was by far the most important "right" being debated. I also do not think that anything other than "slavery" is being offered as a cause in any public school anywhere in the US.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't blame people for not having a good education. Aren't public schools in USA paid by local property taxes? That means that not everyone gets to go to a good school.

American schools on average perform slightly better than average when compared to countries with similar per-capita wealth to the districts they're located in.

Thus America has a huge problem with the overall quality of education.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

How the hell does this work? What if the property is unused or so bad the tax payments are poo poo anyway? Do the teachers have to beg in the streets then?

I can't imagine how tying a certain tax to a governmental system could possibly work without giving additional money from other sources in bad times, making this entire thing totally pointless. :psyduck:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whoever told me to read Fall of the House of Dixie, thanks. It's pretty eye-opening to see how little this country has changed since 1860, and depressing to see it's basically because nobody followed through with the plans to fully break the backs of the old slaveholder power structure down in the South. I mean, Lincoln had some epiphany in 1863/4 and went from "eh, slavery isn't an issue as much as union is" to "oh gently caress these evil fucks with a red hot rake" to the point where he basically responded to a letter complaining about a general's conduct (Phelps, I think?) against rebel slaveholders with (and I am liberally paraphrasing here) "They'd better stop whining or they'll get something to really cry about."

It was like this borderline moment where important actors came this close to turning their efforts against the planter power in their sheer offense at their utter arrogance, and just missed it by a hair.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Libluini posted:

How the hell does this work? What if the property is unused or so bad the tax payments are poo poo anyway? Do the teachers have to beg in the streets then?

I can't imagine how tying a certain tax to a governmental system could possibly work without giving additional money from other sources in bad times, making this entire thing totally pointless. :psyduck:

Rich children in rich school districts get a laptop for each student, poor students hold bake sales to help buy light bulbs. It works because of racism, classism, and gently caress You, Got Mine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Libluini posted:

I remember our public school couldn't afford school supplies like staples or printer paper. So the teachers had to either ask us to bring some for them to use or buy them with their own money.

We also had lots of fundraisers where we sold poo poo door-to-door. I didn't even live somewhere poor, the community had just voted down taxes that much

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

KildarX posted:

Got schooled in Georgia, and was told the opposite. That it was about Slavery with states rights as a side effect. So I don't know where the hell these schools are if they're not in the stomach of the [former] Confederacy.

I got schooled in Massachusetts (and one of the most progressive parts of it at that, in a good school district for America) and the first time I was taught about the civil war it was the lost cause version. I'm pretty sure that was mostly 'cause of the particular teacher though.

edit: we also watched the patriot when we were going over the revolutionary war

like the teacher literally went "what was the civil war about?", "slaver-" "WRONG it was about states' rights" to a bunch of impressionable 12 year olds. i didn't really question it until recently. then again i don't really care about the ACW.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 26, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koramei posted:

I got schooled in Massachusetts (and one of the most progressive parts of it at that, in a good school district for America) and the first time I was taught about the civil war it was the lost cause version. I'm pretty sure that was mostly 'cause of the particular teacher though.

I think we had a thread on this at one point, but this is literally all you'd have learned about the civil war over two years[You'd have seen it in Georgia History 8th grade, and again in US History 10th grade].

Slavery is a thing, Lincoln Elected, States think Lincoln is gonna "TAKE ARE SALVS!", Fort Sumter happened, ANACONDA PLAN!, Gettysburg Address[LINCOLN TOOK ARE SLAVS!], Sherman Marches to the Sea, War Ends, COCA COLA!!!! The war as a lost cause isn't presented, because battles and stuff like that aren't discussed in any depth besides the highlight reel. You wouldn't really know people died in war if it wasn't painfully obvious that that's what happens in war.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 26, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Libluini posted:

How the hell does this work?

Extremely poorly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

Man, I'm so sorry for you guys. I just blindly assumed your schools get their money from a budget made by sane people, payed for by money from all taxes equally. I never even contemplated a system like this, I'm genuinely feeling guilty for not having been subject to bullshit like this. And my country isn't even investing well or much in schools, it's actually kind of bad! We just, you know, haven't tied our school-system to a single tax like morons would do. Like your politicians apparently.

Ouch.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that for the top 10%, the schools are fantastic. They turn out fine even with the bullshit of standardized testing thrown in, and are competitive worldwide.

The problem is the other 90%, where the schools range from basically a jail for kids to sit for 8 hours a day, to sub-par comparatively.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Libluini posted:

:stonk:

Man, I'm so sorry for you guys. I just blindly assumed your schools get their money from a budget made by sane people, payed for by money from all taxes equally. I never even contemplated a system like this, I'm genuinely feeling guilty for not having been subject to bullshit like this. And my country isn't even investing well or much in schools, it's actually kind of bad! We just, you know, haven't tied our school-system to a single tax like morons would do. Like your politicians apparently.

Ouch.

The big thing I don't think non-US citizens understand is that the United States are a bunch of united states, so states with generally low tax incomes with have generally poorer services, at a statewide level not to mention at the county level. I mean look at the education metrics of say Massachusetts vs West Virginia and you'll see a big divide.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 26, 2014

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Koramei posted:

edit: we also watched the patriot when we were going over the revolutionary war

like the teacher literally went "what was the civil war about?", "slaver-" "WRONG it was about states' rights" to a bunch of impressionable 12 year olds. i didn't really question it until recently. then again i don't really care about the ACW.

Also went to school in Massachusetts, the version we got was that the South panicked and went to war so they could own slaves even though Lincoln didn't intend to illegalize slavery, and Sherman was a hero who won the war and saved the nation and also pioneered all of modern warfare, and that Sherman's March to the Sea was in fact entirely and surprisingly humane in the history of total warfare. Not sure how much of that (about Sherman) is actually true but it seems true.

Most of it was actually spent covering how awful it was for slaves than anything else, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hogge Wild posted:

I've encountered people who are mature adults and seem to hold onto these views because they choose to believe in this rascist nonsense, not because they are ignorant.

The weirdest thing is most of them are European.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

Also went to school in Massachusetts, the version we got was that the South panicked and went to war so they could own slaves even though Lincoln didn't intend to illegalize slavery, and Sherman was a hero who won the war and saved the nation and also pioneered all of modern warfare, and that Sherman's March to the Sea was in fact entirely and surprisingly humane in the history of total warfare. Not sure how much of that (about Sherman) is actually true but it seems true.

Most of it was actually spent covering how awful it was for slaves than anything else, though.

Most of that is true.

Sherman was a war hero, who captured Atlanta and probably won Lincoln that election. Pioneered all of modern warfare is a stretch, but definitely pioneered the concepts of total war and was pretty humane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Saint Celestine posted:

The problem is that for the top 10%, the schools are fantastic. They turn out fine even with the bullshit of standardized testing thrown in, and are competitive worldwide.

Out of curiosity, what are American standardized tests used for? Over here it's essentially a base for admission to a better school at the next level (including universities), which I think is better than having uneven standards across the board, with different institutions admitting based on different criteria.

Can anyone give me a rundown on how and why NATO and Warsaw Pact weapons development differed during the Cold War? I essentially grew up hearing a lot about what my dad used when he was in the army, and how he spent that wonderful year or so, but never compared to anything Western (except when it came up on TV and was immediately dismissed as "American action film bullshit").

• Locked thread