Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Just bought my first eurorack. Making some crazy sounds so far, especially with the Nebulae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How do you play notes through a rack synth, do you run a midi keyboard in or is it some cv thing?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A MIRACLE posted:

How do you play notes through a rack synth, do you run a midi keyboard in or is it some cv thing?

Usually MIDI out from a PC into it, you could control that via a dedicated MIDI controller keyboard or just draw the notes in on a piano roll (or type them in a tracker like a cool kid).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

toadee posted:

Usually MIDI out from a PC into it, you could control that via a dedicated MIDI controller keyboard or just draw the notes in on a piano roll (or type them in a tracker like a cool kid).

Cool. I don't have a computer (all hardware based) but all the videos I've seen it looks like it's been programmed with an out of tune manual sequencer thing. I watch weird videos tho

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Post your things here and the thread'll help you out :)

Yeah... about that.

https://soundcloud.com/bell-labs-orchestra/tunguska/s-Antry

Started to work on something when I got home and was able to cannibalize a few things from other "failed" tracks I've been working on for the last 3 weeks to get something that I'm actually really happy with.

I don't think it's 100% yet since I need to work on the mix a bunch still but the overall composition is about how I want it.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes. You just need a eurorack module that converts MIDI.

I myself use a Kilpatrick MIDI Converter module. Although it's modular we're talking about so pretty much every eurorack company has their own. It's pretty much what it looks like: You plug whatever you want (Your computer/daw, MIDI keyboard, whatever) into the MIDI in, and can then send notes or trigger cv to your oscillator/drum-trigger/fancy-pants-module.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I still need to record, mix and loop but, by golly, I think I may get something finished by the deadline. Here's the raw take, would like to add another section or two and another couple of patches, but time's not really permitting. All sounds from the mr rack, extensive use of the urban dance and world expansions. Written in Partch's 43 tone scale.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/snowboner-raw

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah... about that.

https://soundcloud.com/bell-labs-orchestra/tunguska/s-Antry

Started to work on something when I got home and was able to cannibalize a few things from other "failed" tracks I've been working on for the last 3 weeks to get something that I'm actually really happy with.

I don't think it's 100% yet since I need to work on the mix a bunch still but the overall composition is about how I want it.

Ha! It's always good to have "too many" sketches laying around, because you never know when you can just smash a couple of them together to make something great. I've done exactly that a couple of times myself. Great track too, man

Sizone posted:

I still need to record, mix and loop but, by golly, I think I may get something finished by the deadline. Here's the raw take, would like to add another section or two and another couple of patches, but time's not really permitting. All sounds from the mr rack, extensive use of the urban dance and world expansions. Written in Partch's 43 tone scale.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/snowboner-raw

I think this thing's gonna be a most delightfully varied and weird compilation.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 25, 2014

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This month's issue of Computer Music is all about modular synths and has a decent free version of XILS 3, complete with pin matrix. Haven't bought an issue in ages, their suite of free plugins has gotten insane, some really neat stuff in there now, and nearly all 64 bit versions too.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

My MU-format modular is not-really-all-that famous (featured in this week's Gizmodo Shooting Challenge):

http://gizmodo.com/5-time-traveling-timelapses-1663195813/

Sorry for the dreadful lighting

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sorry to double post, here's my Winter compilation mix. I guess its wintery because I was like "this digital bell-ish patch I made kinda make me think of snow on the ground", for whatever reason.

My usual poo poo mixing applies. I also kinda gave up at the end because I have to leave to go drive away from my gear for a while so I wanted to get something done before time ran out.

https://soundcloud.com/david-gates-2/untitled-magical-box-mix

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

A MIRACLE posted:

Cool. I don't have a computer (all hardware based) but all the videos I've seen it looks like it's been programmed with an out of tune manual sequencer thing. I watch weird videos tho

A quantizer will make your CV land on a specific scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgV-Dq89X7M

Rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYrEWFnL4LE

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 26, 2014

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

This month's issue of Computer Music is all about modular synths and has a decent free version of XILS 3, complete with pin matrix. Haven't bought an issue in ages, their suite of free plugins has gotten insane, some really neat stuff in there now, and nearly all 64 bit versions too.

Quite insane, though XILS 3 is also available just by liking the beat.de facebook page:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/05/03/xils-3-be/

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

The Cleaner posted:

"A MIRACLE" posted:

Yes. You just need a eurorack module that converts MIDI.

Alternately, some HW devices will send/receive CV. I've been using my Analog 4 and Minibrute to play around with the few modules I have while taking advantage of their built in filter/envelopes/vca until those modules arrive. Lots of fun (some of it vaguely musical)!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Bolange posted:

Alternately, some HW devices will send/receive CV. I've been using my Analog 4 and Minibrute to play around with the few modules I have while taking advantage of their built in filter/envelopes/vca until those modules arrive. Lots of fun (some of it vaguely musical)!

I'll chime in here with a bit of a caveat about Arturia gear - their gate signal comes out at about 2V, which might not be enough to trigger some envelopes. For instance, I can't use the gate on my Microbrute to trigger my Intellijel dual ADSR without boosting the voltage (I run mine through an audio-in module and the gain control lets me dial in the right threshold). The envelope out still works directly to a VCA, which is fine for playing, but the sequencer didn't seem to set off the envelope.

I like my microbrute, but it's something to keep in mind before you buy if you plan on using the sequencer, and I've heard similar things about their other gear.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

SineRider posted:

Just bought my first eurorack. Making some crazy sounds so far, especially with the Nebulae

Just watched a demo of the Nebulae. That looks pretty awesome!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Dotcom Jillionaire -- I just wetansferred you the wav of my track but realized I forgot to put my SA username in there. So 'Untitled - Magical Box Mix' is me!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
another thanksgiving mystery solved! thanks man!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So what's our current count? I actually might not be able to contribute another track.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got the following tracklisting:

Voodoo XT - Her Cold Embrace
mofotopo - Disco Twirl
SineRider - Escaping the Cold
Flipperwalt - Tantrum
Dotcom Jillionaire - Icicle Shimmers
DesertM - Lunta
toadee - Untitled (Magic Box Mix)
TTTFFF - House Lights Drunk Walk

I'm on the hook for another track, maybe two if I have a productive weekend. Clearly I've put forum names to the tracks but if anyone wants me to substitute in another name (your band name or musical pseudonym or whatever) please advise. Looking good so far though in terms of number of tracks! Some really amazing tunes have been contributed and I'm quite impressed with the response and quality of work everyone has put in :).

I'll put together some album art concepts for the front and back cover. If anyone has some suggestions or a cool photo they took or something else to contribute in terms of art feel free to bombard my email inbox or private messages. Also still accepting tracks! Email is portervance on gmail.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

you missed me ;__;

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Scatterfold posted:

you missed me ;__;

What was the name of the download you sent me? Could you resend?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Missed me as well, but I haven't sent it to you yet as there are some minor things I'm correcting and I want to get it properly mastered first.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I've got the following tracklisting:

mofotopo - Disco Twirl
Flipperwalt - Tantrum
DesertM - Lunta

I'm on the hook for another track, maybe two if I have a productive weekend. Clearly I've put forum names to the tracks but if anyone wants me to substitute in another name (your band name or musical pseudonym or whatever) please advise. Looking good so far though in terms of number of tracks! Some really amazing tunes have been contributed and I'm quite impressed with the response and quality of work everyone has put in :).

I'll put together some album art concepts for the front and back cover. If anyone has some suggestions or a cool photo they took or something else to contribute in terms of art feel free to bombard my email inbox or private messages. Also still accepting tracks! Email is portervance on gmail.

You missed mine too. :(

I'll PM you.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

What was the name of the download you sent me? Could you resend?

no problem; wetransfer is on the case now :smoobles:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

stillvisions posted:

I'll chime in here with a bit of a caveat about Arturia gear - their gate signal comes out at about 2V, which might not be enough to trigger some envelopes. For instance, I can't use the gate on my Microbrute to trigger my Intellijel dual ADSR without boosting the voltage (I run mine through an audio-in module and the gain control lets me dial in the right threshold). The envelope out still works directly to a VCA, which is fine for playing, but the sequencer didn't seem to set off the envelope.

I like my microbrute, but it's something to keep in mind before you buy if you plan on using the sequencer, and I've heard similar things about their other gear.

Oh, the A4 is a much, much better partner. I'm only using the minibrute as a vca until mine arrives and using it to drone at that as the pitch->v/oct isn't behaving as I'd expected.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I can contribute something at the end of the weekend - I'm going in more of a bleak arctic tundra direction over sleigh bells though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

"looking for a frac rack module that can make sick synthetic sleigh bell sounds. any recs?"-me three years from now to the day

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've got a long flight with a Volca Sample so depending on the line out to my phone's line noise I might be able to toss something rough out there. TBD.

Anyways as far as trip report with the little box: It's fun and easy to use with some of the same caveats as the other Volca's (small keyboard so easy to trigger the wrong things etc) but it's definitely straightforward and easy to knock out some fun rythms. You're limited to 10 patterns 4 songs so that can be annoying if you like to work on lots of things at once. I'm mixed on the idea of the reverb being an overall send/receive reverb for the entire track as opposed to single instruments but I can see why it would have to be like that on a simple synth like it. Also, when live editing sample parameters after switching between samples your previous settings may be overwritten when you adjust from the settings of the previous sample's parameters.
I haven't had experience with the sample transfer app yet (no iDevice) but the onloaded samples are pretty good! A nice variety of percussion (even jingle bell kind of sounds), synth hits, and vocal samples. Overall I'd say if you can find one for a decent price after it's out for a bit or are looking for a more all in one simple box for travel it's a solid get but be aware that it's simple and has a few quirks that you'll have to get used to.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Bolange posted:

Just watched a demo of the Nebulae. That looks pretty awesome!

Yeah it is really nice, especially since it can load custom CSound programs that turn it into different things. I made two short demos of the Nebulae in one-shot mode with some drum samples loaded in

http://youtu.be/iXadDEC0e70
http://youtu.be/VC-F5-lyG28

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Nebulae is definitely on my list of immediate modular buys. Phonogene is also on there, I've been wrestling with maybe wanting the Tyme Sefari instead but I think the Phonogene is more immediate in its functionality. I wonder if there is a good shootout between the Nebulae and Phonogene somewhere because I can only justify putting one of these fine modules in my rig.

Also SineRider how do you like the Korgasmatron filter? I'm starting to look into adding one or two filters to my setup.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Control in Brooklyn has everything 10% off.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=phenol ooh shiny. Some quality robot farts there. Don't like the banana jacks though.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the Kilpatrick dude at a swap meet 2 weeks ago and he didn't say poo poo about that. Can't wait to see the pricetag and decide I don't need it THAT much.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat it I just spent money at Control. I blame you magiccarpet.

Updated Goon trackslist:

mofotopo - Disco Twirl
Flipperwaldt - Tantrum
DesertM - Lunta
ympektid - Ashen, Burned Sky
Scatterfold - Davoren Arc
Scatterfold - UK Garage Anamnesis (Version)
Bell Labs Orchestra - Halcyon Days
Bell Labs Orchestra - Aurora over Ganymede
Sizone - Cold Mud
Dotcom Jillionaire - Chimney Smoke

I'm working on some mastering today and I actually put together a little hardware chain I'm experimenting with. My goal is to normalize everything and give a little EQ to bring out some of these great sounds on these songs (depending on the track type). If you want me to leave your masterpiece untouched or want to hear the mastered version I'm happy to send you a copy.

Remember: the soft deadline for submitting is December 1st. If you're working on something and need a day or two to get it to me, no sweat. I hope to have the mastered album with art and everything up on Bandcamp by December 4th (or earlier).

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 29, 2014

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I didn't submit because I feel a bit too 'computer music' to take part, whoops!

In that spirit, here's my algorithmic SuperCollider jams. Sure hope you like waterfalls of drums
http://www.soundcloud.com/calumgunn

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
toadee your PM inbox is full but could you send me another copy or project file (if it's done with Ableton) of your track? During the massive break sections it's really loud and clippy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a_big_dog posted:

I didn't submit because I feel a bit too 'computer music' to take part, whoops!

In that spirit, here's my algorithmic SuperCollider jams. Sure hope you like waterfalls of drums
http://www.soundcloud.com/calumgunn

Both of the tracks I submitted are made from like 90% VST's so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

toadee your PM inbox is full but could you send me another copy or project file (if it's done with Ableton) of your track? During the massive break sections it's really loud and clippy.

I won't be able to do this for days, I'm currently 1300 miles away from my studio. It's sort of meant to be super loud and clippy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

toadee posted:

I won't be able to do this for days, I'm currently 1300 miles away from my studio. It's sort of meant to be super loud and clippy though.

Ok then I'll make it work then!