Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Ivory Kings have to be Beyonders, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat today's issue owned so hard.

Thor's moment was the loving best. Molecule Man and Doom doing things. The whole triage.

Everyone was awesome.

poo poo is going down and I'm loving every second of it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
But really what the gently caress was that art

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
gently caress flipping COINS, yo. I am flipping this PURE ONE-FACETED CRYSTALLINE STRUCTURE THAT IS PURE LIGHT ON ONE SIDE AND PURE DARKNESS ON THE OTHER.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Rabum Alal is going to be the Beyonder. Ivory kings are alternate versions of him having a huge circle jerk causing worlds to collide. When the heroes finally confront him he says "I realise now I've been doing this all wrong!". Then he smashes a bunch of earths together and exclaims "BATTLEWORLD!".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

But really what the gently caress was that art
It's that guy that did the art for that Penguin miniseries at the beginning of the DC reboot. A lot of the faces were drawn too serene and contact high-y for their associated dialogue, but to my eyes, it was the coloring that overly-complicated a lot of the art. I tried looking at what it would have looked like as original pencils with just inks, and I often had no problem with it. And now just looking online, this was literally the colorist's first job.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 26, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't know if it's just the colorist that produces something like this.

I guess most of it over all doesn't look awful, but all I can see is how chubby his face is. I think Dr. Strange looks especially strange as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have no idea what's going on with his right arm. He left the left one and his right one was fine but then he grabs the hammer and now that one is metal too?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think Thor lost his left arm and had it replaced with the Destroyer's or something? Not sure if that has been covered yet actually.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's Thorr from the evil Avengers AIM pulled out, not Thor.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

That's Thorr from the evil Avengers AIM pulled out, not Thor.
Wrong-o.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not?

WELL I'M FULL OF poo poo THEN

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

It's not?

Read the issue again buddy!
Also, I'm wondering if Hickman put in that whole evil Avengers team just so Thor could have a hammer at this point.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 26, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was ok with the art. The faces were a little off but the tones matched the series well enough, I honestly wouldn't have really noticed if you had mentioned it. It was certainly not as bad as NA 22. At least here the colors were still in tone.

Also; holy gently caress that was amazing. Ever issue of this series just blows me away. I think the Ivory Kings have to be alternate earth Illuminati, Rabum Alal being the Beyonder makes sense; I can't see the Beyonder not coming back given that there's a new Secret War warWORLD series coming out after Hickman finishes this run; one has to play into the other, right?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Ya that's not bad guy Thor it's just Thor using his hammer. I dunno why he had two metal arms

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So if The Ivory Kings are fighting a war against Rabum Alal, I wonder what the Ebony Kings are and what they're doing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

It's not?

It's Thor with the power of Thorr.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

Ya that's not bad guy Thor it's just Thor using his hammer. I dunno why he had two metal arms
One arm is the regular metal arm (holding the hammer) and the other arm is covered in his insta-armor that Faüxlnir brought into being for fun fighty times. You'll notice he was just wearing a red sash and pants earlier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

One arm is the regular metal arm (holding the hammer) and the other arm is covered in his insta-armor that Faüxlnir brought into being for fun fighty times. You'll notice he was just wearing a red sash and pants earlier.

In that case, it's the wrong arm that's metal in the picture.

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, I think the colorist just hosed up badly. Thor's metal arm has banding going up and down it (like the Destroyer) in every other picture featuring it, and the left (correct) arm in the picture also has that. His right arm (the one holding the hammer) doesn't have that at all, but does have bulging veins. I'm don't know why a metal arm would have bulging veins.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 26, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
No it's not?
Chubby Thor just has a glove or something on his right arm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Candle posted:

No it's not?
Chubby Thor just has a glove or something on his right arm.

He's saying the right arm is the metal arm, I'm saying Thor's left arm is the metal arm.

Edit: I just realized you were responding to him, not me, never mind

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 26, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Starsnostars posted:

So if The Ivory Kings are fighting a war against Rabum Alal, I wonder what the Ebony Kings are and what they're doing?

I'm guessing the Ebony Kings are an alternate Cabal that are running around just destroying whatever for the fun of it. Since they're not the root cause the Ivory Kings have them lower on the list of current problems; just like the current Illuminati do.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

He's saying the right arm is the metal arm, I'm saying Thor's left arm is the metal arm.

Edit: I just realized you were responding to him, not me, never mind

Oh! Sorry, I didn't read the post you were quoting.

EDIT: Oh hey you edited your post.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Starsnostars posted:

Taken to their methodical extremes, If the Ivory Kings are the Illuminati, the Ebony Kings have got to be the Cabal.

edit: dammit, beaten

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
The Ebony Kings were probably just a mistake, they've only been mentioned once IIRC while the Ivory Kings have been mentioned repeatedly. Wouldn't be the first time Hickman's made a mix-up with names, Bentley-23 was originally Bentley-32.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Horrible Taste posted:

The Ebony Kings were probably just a mistake, they've only been mentioned once IIRC while the Ivory Kings have been mentioned repeatedly. Wouldn't be the first time Hickman's made a mix-up with names, Bentley-23 was originally Bentley-32.

That wouldn't have necessarily been Hickman's fault. More likely the letterer.
EDIT: I guess I should say it could have easily been either. Not that it really matters though.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Next you're going to tell me Hulk's full name wasn't supposed to be Robert Bruce Banner.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I love this run, it's god drat amazing.

The biggest problem I have, and this is more with Marvel in general, is that eventually, everything has to go back to "status quo" but how the gently caress do you have everything go back to normal when the Illuminati were killing worlds? Strange is still doing it! You can't have them all be buddy buddy with the Avengers ever again which of course leads back to the idea that Secret Wars ends with a reboot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

E the Shaggy posted:

I love this run, it's god drat amazing.

The biggest problem I have, and this is more with Marvel in general, is that eventually, everything has to go back to "status quo" but how the gently caress do you have everything go back to normal when the Illuminati were killing worlds? Strange is still doing it! You can't have them all be buddy buddy with the Avengers ever again which of course leads back to the idea that Secret Wars ends with a reboot.

How the gently caress do you have everything go back to normal when Tony Stark is running SHIELD and Captain America is dead?

Think of the "return to status quo" as an ongoing story instead of a flipped switch. Civil War brought us Secret Invasion brought us Dark Reign brought us Siege brought us The Heroic Age. The fallout from Hickman's opus will probably take some time to settle as well, and that's a good thing, because it means that instead of one good story we could get multiple good stories.

Marvel is not gonna have a reboot.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There's not going to be a reboot because Marvel couldn't keep a lid on it. We'd be seeing the advertisements for the number 1's already.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

How the gently caress do you have everything go back to normal when Tony Stark is running SHIELD and Captain America is dead?

To be fair, both of those are easier to reverse.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Whoever wins the secret war gets one wish. Check please.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If I remember correctly, there was a mini series right after Seige where Tony, Steve, and Thor all had out their various grievances and made peace by the end of it.

I think the hardest one to "redeem" all of this is Doctor Strange. But punting him into a more space/galactic angle could be interesting. He isn't just the Sorceror Supreme of Earth, but of that realm. Take him to space for a bit where morality is a bit more ambiguous.

And really, of all the people who have been outraged at Tony, most of the Avengers admitted that they just peaced out and only a handful actively stayed to hunt him down. And of those that stayed, at least one is a mole.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I liked how everyone was pretty unfazed by Stephen's triage. "Welp okay, let's join forces".

Senor Candle posted:

That wouldn't have necessarily been Hickman's fault. More likely the letterer.
EDIT: I guess I should say it could have easily been either. Not that it really matters though.
And before we know it we have another third Summers brother on our hands.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PelvicNerve posted:

I liked how everyone was pretty unfazed by Stephen's triage. "Welp okay, let's join forces".

Well the reveal that the Black Priests are actually a tool of an Illuminati is slightly more palatable than unstoppable magic-using hive mind with unfathomable goals. This isn't Steve's illuminati-hunting team, the multiversal avengers have one goal: find the root cause of the incursions and end them, and Strange's tools bring them one step closer to their goal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Avengers series is so goddamn awesome. So. God. Damned. Awesome. I can't even...

Although I do wish at the climactic moment when all hope is lost and Rabum Alal taunts the fallen heroes a portal opens up and all the Spiders from the multiverse fall on top of him like Tribbles and defeat him.

EDIT: My candidates for Rabum Alal now that there's indication that the Ivory Kings are fighting him implying there's an actual mastermind like intelligence at play vs some kind of beast like force of nature.

1. A version of Galactus in concept only on a universal scale.
2. A version of Beyonder
3. A version of Franklin Richards
4. A version of Apocalypse

EDIT: I have to reread the issue. The Black Priests have been around but I guess Strange took charge of them or this is a different Steven Strange

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 26, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's implied that this is the same one. Ours.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Any theories as to Doom's earth-shard that's suddenly vibrating in our frequency? And with Molecule Man blathering on about maps and mapmakers, looks like team Doom is going to be hurtling towards the same destination as whoever wins the coin-toss for the Ivory Kings.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gatts posted:

The Avengers series is so goddamn awesome. So. God. Damned. Awesome. I can't even...

EDIT: I have to reread the issue. The Black Priests have been around but I guess Strange took charge of them or this is a different Steven Strange

Same with the Builders and the various Kings. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some mode of time travel involved since they were all brought up near the beginning of New Avengers and Infinity. We all guessed who the Black Priests would relate to, just makes me wonder the other relations to the invading forces have been. Each member being the main representative of a Builder, Mapmaker, Ebony King, Ivory King, Black Swan, Black Priest etc.... Also Battleworld vs Countdown Aren I MEAN CONVERGENCE can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

hope and vaseline posted:

Well the reveal that the Black Priests are actually a tool of an Illuminati is slightly more palatable than unstoppable magic-using hive mind with unfathomable goals. This isn't Steve's illuminati-hunting team, the multiversal avengers have one goal: find the root cause of the incursions and end them, and Strange's tools bring them one step closer to their goal.

Right. I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm honestly glad we're not retreading the old moral arguments. In universe, it does make sense that after months of exposure to incursions and seeing the Avengers break up, they'd be past that.

As an aside, I finally read a few Invaders issues I was late on and Robinson doesn't Remender his way out of explaining how Cap and Namor can still work together. Robinson obviously doesn't make it all disappear but the two begrudgingly reach a reasonable, short term agreement.

• Locked thread