Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ankle-biter posted:

So, how many white killing black deaths have there been during these riot/protests? If the police are evil and anti-black there should be at lease a few dozen deaths each night I would think.

Pointing out the logic/illogic isn't going to change anyone's mind. Earlier someone intimated that Mike Brown's father's church was burned by the KKK. Because racism :circlefap: , and not because lots of buildings in Ferguson were being set afire from the protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

spacetoaster posted:

Pointing out the logic/illogic isn't going to change anyone's mind. Earlier someone intimated that Mike Brown's father's church was burned by the KKK. Because racism :circlefap: , and not because lots of buildings in Ferguson were being set afire from the protesters.

You're both idiots, hth.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
FUN QUESTION TIME:

Hospital photos show bruising on Wilson's RIGHT cheek.
Wilson claims Brown was hitting him with his RIGHT fist.

Can you diagram how Wilson must have been sitting in his car to receive those injuries?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kalman posted:

I'm too lazy to go find the exact spot in the transcripts, but wasn't that after Brown had supposedly slammed the door shut on Wilson?

"A, I could?ve said 3000 which is right here, so I?m right at the intersection. Um,
I back up ten feet, I go to open my door, say ?Hey, come here.? He said, ?What
the gently caress are you gonna do?? And, he shut my door on me. A, the door was only
open maybe a foot. I didn?t have chance to get my leg out. I shut the door and
he came up and approached the door. I opened the door again trying to push
him back tell him to get back. Um, he said something. I?m not sure exactly
what it was and then started swinging and punching at me from outside the
vehicle."

Wilson does claim Brown shut his door, but he seems to specifically not choose any terms like "slam" to describe it. I'd be interested to hear the details from Brown's friend about the moments leading up to that.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

The Johnson and Wilson testimonies largely line up in a way that you can read that Wilson parked so loving close to Brown that he couldn't open his door and misread "OH poo poo MY DOOR BOUNCED OFF THIS GUY" as "THIS GUY JUST SLAMMED MY DOOR ON ME"
Nevermind it bouncing off, my knee-jerk reaction to someone trying to open a door on me that close would be to flinch and try to knock it back, or at least try to stop the door with my hands/arms before it could hit my body.

What kind of douchebag cop would do that, anyway? Wilson clearly fancied himself a badass.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

420DD Butts posted:

Wait, when did we just start accepting things that Wilson claimed as the complete truth?

What would he gain from lying? :v:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

Can you diagram how Wilson must have been sitting in his car to receive those injuries?

The only way I can figure it is if Brown was doing something like a bicep curl hit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

You're both idiots, hth.

Good point. You sir, are a master debater.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

I still have a hard time believing those pictures were displaying a bruise. They looked more like a bad case of razor burn, or Wilson fell asleep on his desk to me.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

His body would be turned right and his face would be looking left. Might happen if you were reaching for a sidearm and trying to keep an eye on the attacker.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

"A, I could?ve said 3000 which is right here, so I?m right at the intersection. Um,
the gently caress are you gonna do?? And, he shut my door on me. A, the door was only
vehicle."

Wilson does claim Brown shut his door, but he seems to specifically not choose any terms like "slam" to describe it. I'd be interested to hear the details from Brown's friend about the moments leading up to that.

Easy enough, Grand Jury Volume 4:

5 A As we're walking down the street, now I
6 see the police cruiser approaching us, coming up
7 west going back towards West Florissant. The police
8 cruiser is approaching us, right before the police
9 cruiser approached us, two cars had passed us

10 already. Nobody said anything like we are in the

ll street or nothing like that.

12 When he got right directly on the
13 side of us, the police officer Darren Wilson, when
14 he got on the side of us he rolled his window down

15 and he said, get on the sidewalk, but it wasn't in a

16 polite manner, it was very rudely.

17 You can say whatever he said.

18 A He said get the on the sidewalk.

19 That's the get the

20 A Get the gently caress on the sidewalk.

14 A We continued to walk and have our

15 conversation, but almost a split second we heard the
16 tires screech, and the officer, he pulled back in

17 the truck very fast to the point at an angle if we

18 didn't hear his tires screech, the back of his

19 cruiser would have struck one of us, not both of us,
20 it would have struck both of us or one of us because
21 of the way he angled in reverse.

22 He never drove and turned around, he
23 reversed real fast. Why he reversed so fast on us
24 and the angle that he did in the manner, now we are
25 almost not inches away from his front door, like we
was right in his face now. He never got out of the
car, he just pulled right back on the side of us,
but it is almost at an angle.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

Sit in the driver's seat, turn to face the window. Both sides of your face are exposed. Right cross, probably a miss.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

spacetoaster posted:

Good point. You sir, are a master debater.

If the KKK were so racist, why wouldn't they just kill black people indiscriminately? It just doesn't add up - a moron.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

Wilson's head is turned towards the window; Brown reaches in to Wilson's right and smacks him across the right cheek with the bottom of his fist.
Or, Brown makes an uncoordinated punch at Wilson; Wilson flinches and turns his head to the left to avoid the punch, and the punch grazes his right cheek.

In either case, I fail to see how the punches could have been so forceful that he was in fear of his life. It's not like he caught a haymaker to his face or anything.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

vehicle."

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Sounds like Wilson isn't describing anyone hitting anyone with a door, just trying to keep it closed or to open it.

I do need to read Johnson's testimony still, I'm curious what he said about that sequence of events.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Raerlynn posted:

Sit in the driver's seat, turn to face the window. Both sides of your face are exposed. Right cross, probably a miss.

You're suggesting that Brown was able to stick his right arm across his body into the left side of the window and then laterally swing it with high force into Wilson's right cheek? It wouldn't even be a punch at that rate, let alone a surprise.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ankle-biter posted:

His body would be turned right and his face would be looking left. Might happen if you were reaching for a sidearm and trying to keep an eye on the attacker.

Not sure if this is a sincerely held belief or another troll post.

Raerlynn posted:

A right cross would cause him to hit his right cheek?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

If the KKK were so racist, why wouldn't they just kill black people indiscriminately? It just doesn't add up - a moron.

It was argued in this thread that the kkk drive around to offer African American kids a ride to kill them or something and this is a common thing in some parts of the country.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

420DD Butts posted:

Dude, it's a freaking riot/protest. In the dark, lots of officers to lie for you (since they are corrupt and do that, right?) It's a great opportunity, not random indiscriminately.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

Magic Negro?

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

CommieGIR posted:

If there was only a device issued to police members that would allow him to non-lethally take down a culprit not bearing a weapon so they could stand trial :allears:

Oh wait, it was too uncomfortable.

See, that's a legit point right there. He really said this.

theflyingorc posted:

Using the door to push him backwards is nicespeak for "I hit him with the door".
Dang, I bet you could probably extrapolate a plate of chicken alfredo out a noodle, huh?

And I like how you omitted the part where Wilson says Brown was holding the door shut and then assaulting him (which is why Wilson was pushing the door in the first place). Seriously, it's right there in the interview that I linked earlier: he says Brown is holding the door shut with his body, so he tries to use the door to literally push him back. And this door thing is so irrelevant it's ridiculous.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

tsa posted:

It was argued in this thread that the kkk drive around to offer African American kids a ride to kill them or something and this is a common thing in some parts of the country.

That was one poster being paranoid, though.

Ankle-biter posted:

Dude, it's a freaking riot/protest. In the dark, lots of officers to lie for you (since they are corrupt and do that, right?) It's a great opportunity, not random indiscriminately.

People can be racist and not entirely stupid. If they just started killing folks do you know how fast that police department would be torn apart by the DoJ?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

I still have a hard time believing those pictures were displaying a bruise. They looked more like a bad case of razor burn, or Wilson fell asleep on his desk to me.

Bruises can take like a day to show up. Would have taken pictures the next day but the batteries in the camera died.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Impatient Skype JO posted:

Dang, I bet you could probably extrapolate a plate of chicken alfredo out a noodle, huh?

And I like how you omitted the part where Wilson says Brown was holding the door shut and then assaulting him (which is why Wilson was pushing the door in the first place). Seriously, it's right there in the interview that I linked earlier: he says Brown is holding the door shut with his body, so he tries to use the door to literally push him back. And this door thing is so irrelevant it's ridiculous.

No it's the *specific cause* Wilson uses to cite why the situation escalated. He blames it on Brown.

Also would you care to explain how my reading of events was wrong? You took a lot of offense earlier but haven't responded to my response to you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cuntpunch posted:

FUN QUESTION TIME:

Actually, reading the transcript, he very specifically says the blow to his right cheek was a punch from Brown's left hand.

quote:

D. Wilson: Um, as I was holdin’ it, and he came around he came around with his arm extended, fist made, and went like that straight at my face with his…a full swing with his left hand.

<SOME IRRELEVANT QUESTIONS>

Det. : How was his hand?

D. Wilson: “It was closed, It was in a fist.”
Det: “Okay.”

D. Wilson: “He hit me with this part of his hand, just like this across my cheek.”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

I don't really know. Ask your son.

Does anyone have any evidence about who burned down the church? It's just interesting that in a city that's on fire from protests people think they've got this one burned building all figured out in the exact way that furthers their personal beliefs about what's going on.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

unlimited shrimp posted:

Canada's getting pretty good at the whole "shoot first, ask questions later" thing.

This happened on Monday:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-police-shooting-captured-on-video-by-teen-1.2848561

Suspect wasn't black but eyewitnesses say it went from cops arrive > shots fired in approx. 1 minute.
Three cops versus one guy with a 2x4 but I guess the only way to deescalate the situation was to put two bullets in him.

You have quite a ways to go before you can beat this, released just now.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cleveland-police-release-tamir-rice-video-shooting

That was the 12 yr old boy under the gazebo. He's dead. I don't even know if the firing officer's car door had time to completely open.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ooooh, I'm sorry, its not comfortable to carry a device that allows you to properly respond to a situation without lethal force needed.

Probably shouldn't be a cop.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, reading the transcript, he very specifically says the blow to his right cheek was a punch from Brown's left hand.

Was this while he was shuffling the cigars from hand to hand or after he stopped the pummeling to give them to his friend?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Von Sloneker posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cleveland-police-release-tamir-rice-video-shooting

That was the 12 yr old boy under the gazebo. He's dead. I don't even know if the firing officer's car door had time to completely open.

Uh, don't you know that racism doesn't exist?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Really sounds like the prosecutor knew there was basically no chance of a guilty verdict from a trial and had no interest in going through a lengthy trial that would be put under a nation-wide microscope just to end up losing.

WHat is the overall consensus of why he threw it, anyway?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Cuntpunch posted:

You're suggesting that Brown was able to stick his right arm across his body into the left side of the window and then laterally swing it with high force into Wilson's right cheek? It wouldn't even be a punch at that rate, let alone a surprise.

It was clearly a pimp slap by the demonic Hulkamaniac Brown. This tracks with him telling Wilson that he was too pussy to shoot later on. This was a justified shooting because Officer Wilson had a legitimate fear that he was gonna be turned into Brown's bottom bitch.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

420DD Butts posted:

That was one poster being paranoid, though.

People can be racist and not entirely stupid. If they just started killing folks do you know how fast that police department would be torn apart by the DoJ?

Honestly, with Obama in charge, I don't know what's legal or not these days. Executive orders means nothing is safe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Von Sloneker posted:

Holy loving christ :stare:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Whoops, you've got your events out of order! Better read it again! (Brown is stated to be pushing on the door AFTER the quote I just posted)

fknlo posted:

Was this while he was shuffling the cigars from hand to hand or after he stopped the pummeling to give them to his friend?
Can we agree that specific points against Wilson might not be valid without immediately jumping to the next thing? I'm not exactly a Wilson supporter, but "How did he hit him on the right side with his right hand" isn't a mystery, because Wilson says he hit him with his left hand.

I think the "here hold these" part is weird and probably didn't happen, either, but that's an entirely separate discussion.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

CommieGIR posted:

Holy loving christ :stare:

Getting shades of John Crawford there, where the cops turned the corner and gave him one second to respond before aerating him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fknlo posted:

Bruises can take like a day to show up. Would have taken pictures the next day but the batteries in the camera died.

Yeah, I know. They were still incredibly underwhelming and hilarious pictures. Wilson should have come back a day or two later for the bruises to really come in.

But, as the cops said, the batteries in the one camera in St. Louis had area died by that point.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Von Sloneker posted:

Wow that was loving stupid driving the car across the lawn like that.

It does look like the guy loving panicked as he was getting out of the car though, you can see him fall down and scramble across the ground

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

Ooooh, I'm sorry, its not comfortable to carry a device that allows you to properly respond to a situation without lethal force needed.

Probably shouldn't be a cop.

...he had a nonlethal option. He also didn't have a teargas launcher or a beanbag cannon or a netgun. Police are not required to carry every single nonlethal option possible, please stop chasing this stupid rabbit about having a taser instead of focusing on the systemic issues that lead to Brown's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

420DD Butts posted:

Getting shades of John Crawford there, where the cops turned the corner and gave him one second to respond before aerating him.

They don't even TRY to pull up at a safe distance and confront him, just straight up pull a drive through style confrontation.

theflyingorc posted:

...he had a nonlethal option. He also didn't have a teargas launcher or a beanbag cannon or a netgun. Police are not required to carry every single nonlethal option possible, please stop chasing this stupid rabbit about having a taser instead of focusing on the systemic issues that lead to Brown's death.

You need to study escalation of force. Police are not soldiers, and they are expect to take other responses to a situation other than 'Go to lethal force'

But that's the thing isn't it? Proper use of force is PART of the systemic problems we are seeing. Different force escalation made against a black suspect versus a white is the issue.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread