Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vasudus posted:

Only person that should have access are the evidence officer and the DA, probably.

In order to protect the privacy of citizens who are perhaps involuntarily interacting with police, or to protect the police from transparency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Last night I left the gym and had my windows rolled down to not stink the car up, NWA gently caress the police came on my radio as I sat texting at a red light. I look up to check the light eventually and there was a cop next to me with his windows rolled down, texting as well.

The light turned gree and we both were on our way

White power?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BexGu posted:

For the web side:

Storage and retention space (How much? What video quality? Black and white or color? How long?)
Indexing and uploading of data after shift (Who does it? Is there additional meta data associated with the video?)
Local server space or remote cloud storage (What is the backup plan? Who is in charge of running it? What is the access protocol?)

That is just off the top of my head. Not even counting the design and UI of the upload and retrieve system.

All of which they are already experienced with since dashcams became a common thing...25 years ago? There is nothing preventing this except the obvious budget plus-up and probably some of the unions.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

joat mon posted:

In order to protect the privacy of citizens who are perhaps involuntarily interacting with police, or to protect the police from transparency?

Either way someone will complain that its corrupt.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
One of the cops I'm friends with loves blasting gently caress the Police in his cruiser

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

joat mon posted:

You as a citizen issue a formal complaint, video gets used by IA/whoever to verify conduct.

You as an officer have to do anything beyond talking to people, video gets used by the DA as evidence.

Nothing happens or no complaints, video rots in the cloud or wherever.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

The flaw in your reasoning is that internet SJW buzzwords come directly from college social science and philosophy courses.

Well most degree programs come with a diversity requirement so even STEM people are learning the buzzwords in the college classroom. I know enough to use the terms correctly on an internet comedy forum, but it sure as poo poo doesn't make me an expert though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bolow posted:

Even if Iran managed to get its enrichment program in full swing would they even be able to develop, test and miniaturize a bomb to a remotely usable size quickly enough to not get deep dicked by the entire Arab world? I mean the goddamn Norks have an atom bomb but it's like 3x bigger than the trinity bomb and a 1/3rd as powerful.

If I'm Qatar or the UAE or Kuwait I don't care because that's enough to blanket most of my land in poo poo that makes it even more of a horrible wasteland.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
It does come in handy. There was an arson case earlier this year that I was on the jury for. The body cam footage was extremely helpful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BexGu posted:

For the web side:

Storage and retention space (How much? What video quality? Black and white or color? How long?)
Indexing and uploading of data after shift (Who does it? Is there additional meta data associated with the video?)
Local server space or remote cloud storage (What is the backup plan? Who is in charge of running it? What is the access protocol?)

That is just off the top of my head. Not even counting the design and UI of the upload and retrieve system.

Albuquerque has had mandatory lapel cams for at least a year because the cops hosed up so much, so they've probably figured out a way to handle it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vasudus posted:

You as a citizen issue a formal complaint, video gets used by IA/whoever to verify conduct.

You as an officer have to do anything beyond talking to people, video gets used by the DA as evidence.

Nothing happens or no complaints, video rots in the cloud or wherever.

The latter, then.

Thankfully the law doesn't agree with you, at least regarding criminal cases everywhere and some state's freedom of information/open records acts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

All of which they are already experienced with since dashcams became a common thing...25 years ago? There is nothing preventing this except the obvious budget plus-up and probably some of the unions.
A department in Washington was actually planning to use it, but shelved it, after an "anonymous Internet libertarian" made insane amounts of foia requests on I want to say Seattle, that it's costing them a fortune and to the point where even the ACLU isn't defending the guy. So there is alao that, I'll have to find the article.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Maarek posted:

I agree completely and this is the key element in all this, it's only these social justice warrior people who act this way. That's why their groupthink has such a bad effect on the discourse in that forum. For example, if you posted about black ladies and "those people" in D&D people would immediately call you a racist and don't even get me started on what they'd say when you point out that most of the time black people put themselves in positions to get hurt. Here in this thread you're free to express your ideas and if people don't like them, they're free to logically argue with you about them without any social justice warrior nonsense.

here's a stunning example of the problem with internet debate. After stating the clearly delusional position that there are parts of the country where violence is actually a problem:

Kaal posted:

You live in one of the safest places in the world, have an incredibly safe and privileged job as one of the American legal elite, and yet still engage in the cowardly belief that you are so endangered and downtrodden that police need to come out guns blazing in order to protect you. Wake up.

CheesyDog posted:

Look guys, we all know that law firms are infamous for being located in the middle of the worst parts of town with the highest crime rates and not in upscale office buildings near courthouses. He's taking his life into his very hands the second he steps out of his office (located between a crackhouse and a meth lab) into the ghetto battlefield.

Reality: I work in one of america's ten most violent small cities. Our courthouse, in which I work, looks like it's in the middle of a demilitarized zone complete with abandoned buildings and burned out buildings, and all of our homicides generally take place within a 2 mile radius. As a scare tactic, it's not uncommon for people to take cell phone pics of the people involved in the hallways. We can keep the phones out of the courtrooms themselves, but the hallways...yeah. Hard to police that. we've actually had a murder on the goddamn courthouse steps. (but that was admittedly a while ago) In the past year, my case load has been: DUI (meh whatever); Stabbing; rape of a child; serial home invasion rapist; capital murder of a child witness; murder; felony murder/armed robbery; murder; rape of a child x2; murder; murder; murder; armed robbery; kidnap and attempted murder; capital murder; drug ring. I'm forgetting some, but you get the jist. Now, these murders didn't all happen this year, some are habeas matters going back a while. But this is the poo poo we care about.

but of course, I'm just afraid of poor people.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

gfanikf posted:

A department in Washington was actually planning to use it, but shelved it, after an "anonymous Internet libertarian" made insane amounts of foia requests on I want to say Seattle, that it's costing them a fortune and to the point where even the ACLU isn't defending the guy. So there is alao that, I'll have to find the article.

Sounds like an issue better addressed by streamlining the FOIA process rather than the other way around. It's not like there's an expectation of privacy when talking to a police officer on duty, and it shouldn't be complicated to carve out an exception when private conversations do need to happens - perhaps turning the camera off if both the officer and person being talked to agree to turn it off, and there is more than one officer in the room.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Booblord Zagats posted:

One of the cops I'm friends with loves blasting gently caress the Police in his cruiser

someone graffitid "gently caress court" on our misdemeanor courthouse. It's now the desktop image for a bunch of the prosecutors.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

gfanikf posted:

The FOIA stuff could really easily be used for witch hunt kind of stuff like you said or just abused. What stuff should be view-able, like if a cop gets a personal phone call during his shift can that be viewed during FOIA requests and so on. What if he goes home for lunch? There are some things that need to be ironed out before I feel like it wouldn't be kind of screwing some of the officers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Richard Bong posted:

The FOIA stuff could really easily be used for witch hunt kind of stuff like you said or just abused. What stuff should be view-able, like if a cop gets a personal phone call during his shift can that be viewed during FOIA requests and so on. What if he goes home for lunch? There are some things that need to be ironed out before I feel like it wouldn't be kind of screwing some of the officers.

well, since FOIA is a statutory right, you could always amend your state FOIA laws to exempt the lapel footage. Or just erase all footage at the end of the shift if there are no incidents.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Casimir Radon posted:

A lot of tasers have had cameras in them for years for liability reasons. We might as well put them on guns now so the next time somebody is crying about a cop blowing away their precious innocent baby they can be presented with video of him brandishing a meat cleaver.

I'd prefer body cameras that any kind of weapon cam. Our first batch of tasers came with the camera attachment but the problem with those were that they'd only show the 2-3 seconds it took for the officer to draw, activate aim and fire the taser instead of the minute or so prior that lead up to the dude being tased. Those videos sure do show that a guy got tased, but they never showed the why-> how he was acting just before being tased. Bring on the body cams though, if I was still working a beat I'd love to have one. Let that bitch run anytime I have to talk to anyone about anything at all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sounds like an issue better addressed by streamlining the FOIA process rather than the other way around. It's not like there's an expectation of privacy when talking to a police officer on duty, and it shouldn't be complicated to carve out an exception when private conversations do need to happens - perhaps turning the camera off if both the officer and person being talked to agree to turn it off, and there is more than one officer in the room.

It wasn't so much the process as much as just costs and the guy make these massive requests and iirc the cost is incurred by the department. Anyway I need to find the article when I get home.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

gfanikf posted:

It wasn't so much the process as much as just costs and the guy make these massive requests and iirc the cost is incurred by the department. Anyway I need to find the article when I get home.

generally the requester has to pay to process the request. depends on the state.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Lapel cams are a better use of funds then giving them loving MRAPS at least.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here it is

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025060346_spdcamerasxml.html

This is pretty funny though.

quote:

Contacted this week through his email address, the man who made the requests responded immediately by email and phone. He declined to identify himself, saying only that he is a computer programmer in his 20s and lives in Seattle with his parents.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Bolow posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Stultus Maximus posted:

The flaw in your reasoning is that internet SJW buzzwords come directly from college social science and philosophy courses.

Just about every professor I had in my poli sci classes were realists who were the type to make fun of SJW types.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

well, since FOIA is a statutory right, you could always amend your state FOIA laws to exempt the lapel footage. Or just erase all footage at the end of the shift if there are no incidents.

That would do it I guess. This was the kind of stuff one of my cop family members brought up and I agreed with.

Bolow posted:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Maarek posted:

I agree completely and this is the key element in all this, it's only these social justice warrior people who act this way. That's why their groupthink has such a bad effect on the discourse in that forum. For example, if you posted about black ladies and "those people" in D&D people would immediately call you a racist and don't even get me started on what they'd say when you point out that most of the time black people put themselves in positions to get hurt. Here in this thread you're free to express your ideas and if people don't like them, they're free to logically argue with you about them without any social justice warrior nonsense.

how long are you going to spend rolling your eyes and sighing uncomfortably while your uncle rails about how darren wilson acted in self defense tomorrow?

also will you keep a live twitter feed of it going or will you come grumbling down to d&d months after the fact to gripe about how poo poo your family is?

tyia.

news: lol

views: lol

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fucitol posted:

how long are you going to spend rolling your eyes and sighing uncomfortably while your uncle rails about how darren wilson acted in self defense tomorrow?

also will you keep a live twitter feed of it going or will you come grumbling down to d&d months after the fact to gripe about how poo poo your family is?

tyia.

:nallears:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ActusRhesus posted:

someone graffitid "gently caress court" on our misdemeanor courthouse. It's now the desktop image for a bunch of the prosecutors.

Seriously. Its like when I had to explain to the AF dudes I shared a barracks with that no one hates other Marines as much as Air Wing Marines and vice-versa

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Albuquerque has had mandatory lapel cams for at least a year because the cops hosed up so much, so they've probably figured out a way to handle it

Great! Love using a experienced system and fix the bugs with it. Be cool to find out the cost and how much the cost would scale up/down depending on the size of the department.

Wonder if it could be like a healthcare.gov thing where the fed provide a system or the states make their own. Would suck figuring out each state specific laws and quick through.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Bolow posted:

Alright, gentlemen, here's the plan: we're going to enter the town from the west, roll down Park, turn east onto Main, and then set up a snap TCP outside the McDonald's and check every vehicle for McFlurries. Alpha will control traffic this time; Bravo, you guys have the holding area, and I also want an OP on top of the Commerce Building. Keep in mind that every household is allowed one McFlurry, so remember your escalation of force procedures and don't go shooting everyone with an item off the dessert menu. We have a new bolo vehicle, a beige four door rice-burner, late model. The owner hasn't responded to a parking ticket from July, so call up anything that fits that description. Also, we're still looking for that blue minivan from last week and Objective Tennis Shoe. We have Officer Snuffles with us again today. Make sure that your guys seach everything thoroughly, and secure any donuts that

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fucitol posted:

tyia.

go on

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

gfanikf posted:

Make him pay for the costs incurred then. So long as the cost per request is reasonable it shouldn't be noticeable for anyone not making absurd requests and plenty of govt institutions make you pay for all kinds of stuff.

The practical stuff is nothing a nation that spends it's weekends hunting hill tribes with flying killer robots via world wide remote cannot figure out. The question is just convincing someone to fund it well enough to get it right.
I'd think the societal gains from making dumb cops play nice, and being able to show whether the black guy had it comming would outweigh the costs. Hell, you could make the argument that whatever the purely economical cost it's probably less than tax losses from the aftermath of riots that could have been avoided if we had a simple way to prove what happened.

As far as convincing, tell the right it's for recording the thugs and tell the left it's for recording The Man. I'm sure someone will get hosed by the justice system as a result, but if legal liability was a legitimate enough concern not to do something in America then you couldn't even get out of bed and brew a cup of coffee in the morning.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Fucitol posted:

tyia.

I'm not sure what kind of home life you've had but if your uncle uses Thanksgiving as a platform to call soccer effeminate or hurt your feelings I am deeply sorry that happened and I promise you it is not normal and you don't have to take it. As a veteran you deserve better than that, Happy Thanksgiving.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

The guy who made the request and the seattle police department have come to an agreement - he has dropped the request, and the seattle police department is going to meet with him to discuss how he could receive video on a regular basis. SPD are also looking to have a hackathon to sort out some of the technical issues they envisage.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/seattle-pd-cuts-a-deal-with-mass-video-requestor-institutes-hack-a-thon/

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 27, 2014

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Maarek posted:

I'm not sure what kind of home life you've had but if your uncle uses Thanksgiving as a platform to call soccer effeminate or hurt your feelings I am deeply sorry that happened and I promise you it is not normal and you don't have to take it. As a veteran you deserve better than that, Happy Thanksgiving.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Reverand maynard posted:

TFR was really interesting when it was nothing but WWII era guns and earlier.

If you dumped TFR you missed out because

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
havent been in tfr in over half a year and its like such a tremendous weight was lifted from my shoulders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Whatever you do don't make holocaust jokes there.

• Locked thread