Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

An email came in at 8:30 this morning:

quote:

Subject: FW:

EVERYBODY GET OUT

Original Message:

Today I am thankful for each one of you.  This has been a very busy year, and I want you all to know how very much I appreciate all your hard work and leadership.  I feel extraordinarily blessed to be a part of such a terrific team and wonderful company. 

Please feel free to let you folks get an early start to the holiday if you would like. 

I hope you all have a fun and safe Thanksgiving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

The flood of emotion.

"Oh god I'm Fired!"
"Woo I get to go home!"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I refuse to believe that came from a CEO, the most vile of creatures

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Manslaughter posted:

I refuse to believe that came from a CEO, the most vile of creatures

The transformation hasn't reached its brain yet.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A user was complaining of frequent blue-screens, application crashes, etc. I suspected bad RAM, ran Memtest86, got a whole bunch of errors.

It's a Dell machine and I knew they'd want to know what their own diagnostic thing said, so I ran it. On its first pass of the first test, it almost immediately popped up and said "Memory issues resolved."

Now when I run Memtest86, I get no errors.

Anyone know what the hell the diagnostic actually did? I found the manual and it just says this - "Informative message that memory issues were found and resolved within safe tolerances" which doesn't tell me much.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A user was complaining of frequent blue-screens, application crashes, etc. I suspected bad RAM, ran Memtest86, got a whole bunch of errors.

It's a Dell machine and I knew they'd want to know what their own diagnostic thing said, so I ran it. On its first pass of the first test, it almost immediately popped up and said "Memory issues resolved."

Now when I run Memtest86, I get no errors.

Anyone know what the hell the diagnostic actually did? I found the manual and it just says this - "Informative message that memory issues were found and resolved within safe tolerances" which doesn't tell me much.

Depending on the system, ePSAs have a MemRx that allows it to know which chip on the DIMM is bad and ignore it on a BIOS level. If you ever move DIMMs around that'll break that bit.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Jim posted:

Depending on the system, ePSAs have a MemRx that allows it to know which chip on the DIMM is bad and ignore it on a BIOS level. If you ever move DIMMs around that'll break that bit.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate being able to have at least a vague understanding of how something works. :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The day before every major holiday, the main office closes at 2 or 3 and my boss ends up sending everyone home early. Except the poor student worker that has to sit at the help desk until 10 PM. The labs are empty, there are no customers, we can shut down. But nobody thinks more than 5 minutes in advance so we don't change the lab hours for the day before a holiday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

The day before every major holiday, the main office closes at 2 or 3 and my boss ends up sending everyone home early. Except the poor student worker that has to sit at the help desk until 10 PM. The labs are empty, there are no customers, we can shut down. But nobody thinks more than 5 minutes in advance so we don't change the lab hours for the day before a holiday.

For several holidays when I started with my current employer, they would announce early closings on days where I had already been scheduled for on-site work until 6PM (usual closing time.) Of course since they had already been scheduled, they couldn't be changed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
My last employer would make 60 of us sit in an office and refuse to let us go home even though ALL of our clients were based in the US.

So we had to sit there doing nothing for 8 hours.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mustache Ride posted:

Overheard by my boss on his daily status call with the CFO an hour ago:

"Yeah, there's no way I'm leaving early today."

This as the slush on the Turnpike starts turning into ice and the temperature continues to drop.

I wonder if I put enough air in my slow-leaky front tire on my underpowered poor-in-the-snow Scion xA. :-(

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm sitting on the bus heading home now. Good boss. :)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lightning Jim posted:

I don't really know anything about how memory works on a physical level, but wouldn't that pretty significantly reduce the amount available RAM? Especially on a modern system that probably only has one or two actual DIMMs in it?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Got an odd one - I look after a load (about 20 ... ) ADSL services at a managed office (each room has it's own ADSL service) and since the middle of last week, -some- of the tennants cannot access certain websites, speedtest.net being one.

If I go there with my own laptop and connect to the routers, I see the same thing, the webpage just times out. But I can ping it and tracert to it with no apparent issues. Other websites work fine. If I connect to other ADSL routers there, I see no problems (and get the same ping / tracert results)
I've factory rest the routers, tried different routers and this issue just won't go away.

Obviously the provider asked for pings and tracerts .... so are claiming 'no issue at our end'

I'm hoping it will just magically fix itself, but for the life of me I cannot work out why this is happening ?

I've tried the providers DNS servers and Googles, both timeout on the websites, However, if I use Opera and switch on 'turbo mode' I can suddenly get to all websites. I'm stumped.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Knormal posted:

I don't really know anything about how memory works on a physical level, but wouldn't that pretty significantly reduce the amount available RAM? Especially on a modern system that probably only has one or two actual DIMMs in it?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/Dell-Precision-workstation-Reliable-memory-technology-whitepaper.pdf

Looks like it just maps around the portions that are bad. The only capacity lost is the portion that is bad, not the entire DIMM. This bad memory list is stored in the BIOS along with the DIMMs serial number, so it works even if the DIMM is moved to a different slot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spiny posted:

Got an odd one - I look after a load (about 20 ... ) ADSL services at a managed office (each room has it's own ADSL service) and since the middle of last week, -some- of the tennants cannot access certain websites, speedtest.net being one.

If I go there with my own laptop and connect to the routers, I see the same thing, the webpage just times out. But I can ping it and tracert to it with no apparent issues. Other websites work fine. If I connect to other ADSL routers there, I see no problems (and get the same ping / tracert results)
I've factory rest the routers, tried different routers and this issue just won't go away.

Obviously the provider asked for pings and tracerts .... so are claiming 'no issue at our end'

I'm hoping it will just magically fix itself, but for the life of me I cannot work out why this is happening ?

I've tried the providers DNS servers and Googles, both timeout on the websites, However, if I use Opera and switch on 'turbo mode' I can suddenly get to all websites. I'm stumped.

How is each connection presented? It sounds like an MTU issue.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

How is each connection presented? It sounds like an MTU issue.

It's a mix of 'home routers' - low end D-Link and TP-Link stuff - I'm just connecting my laptop via CAT5 to a port. The routers should be using the standard 1492 (or whatever the default is) MTU, plus these services were working fine last week. The other working services are using the same routers.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A vacation came in...

I'm leaving Saturday for a week in Puerto Rico. I cleared off my plate, finished all my tickets, updated all my projects, left contingency stuff in case someone wants to push a project forward, etc.

Told the boss that the ringer will be off, and if he calls and leaves a voice mail, I am doing nothing until I get written confirmation that he's giving me a vacation day back.

Him: "Maybe if you'd work the whole day, I'd give you a day back."
Me: "If I'm working even a minute, it's not a vacation anymore."

If he calls I'm not returning it anyway

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

spiny posted:

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html

Run that, see if anything fucky comes back.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Mustache Ride posted:

Oh hey I was going to get to do this today but then some leet squad of teens decided to DHCP exhaust and ARP poison my network on their half day. There's still a wireless printer pretending to be my default gateway somewhere, but I had to get the gently caress out of my building before the roads iced over and I went insane. WINE TIME

spiny
May 20, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

cheers :) , it's 10:40PM here, so I'll try it when I do a site visit tomorrow.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Axlerod posted:

I just tried this out for fun and I'm getting some weird DNS issues. Is that something I should worry about? How do I even get started with troubleshooting it?
What should I be getting when I ping https://www.microsoft.com

spiny
May 20, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just tried this out for fun and I'm getting some weird DNS issues. Is that something I should worry about? How do I even get started with troubleshooting it?
What should I be getting when I ping https://www.microsoft.com

I saw that too - click the IP on the report and it downloads a little XML file - if you look at it, it shows that micorosft.com is doing some sort of 'page has moved' thing, which I'm guessing is why it's being flagged.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Inspector_666 posted:

For several holidays when I started with my current employer, they would announce early closings on days where I had already been scheduled for on-site work until 6PM (usual closing time.) Of course since they had already been scheduled, they couldn't be changed.

In the sysadmin department at my old company, the CEO would send out an email telling everyone they could go home early on the day before a holiday, which would be immediately followed by an email from our department manager saying "This doesn't apply to you..." I always wanted so badly to reply that since the CEO outranks him, I'm going home anyway. :v:

MJP posted:

Told the boss that the ringer will be off, and if he calls and leaves a voice mail, I am doing nothing until I get written confirmation that he's giving me a vacation day back.

Him: "Maybe if you'd work the whole day, I'd give you a day back."
Me: "If I'm working even a minute, it's not a vacation anymore."

If he calls I'm not returning it anyway

The correct thing to say here is "I'm going to be on vacation and out of touch for the next week, please get with <some other person who isn't on vacation> if you need anything." Don't even give them the faintest hope that you might be reachable, or they will take that to mean that you are available 24/7 while on vacation and get upset when you don't respond to their calls or emails immediately.

Anaxandrides
Jun 7, 2012

Every summer day in the desert is like a vacation in hell.

dennyk posted:

The correct thing to say here is "I'm going to be on vacation and out of touch for the next week, please get with <some other person who isn't on vacation> if you need anything." Don't even give them the faintest hope that you might be reachable, or they will take that to mean that you are available 24/7 while on vacation and get upset when you don't respond to their calls or emails immediately.

This happened to me last time I took a vacation. It was super lovely -- two vacation days, got called into the office on both. Ended up not counting against my vacation days, but it was an incredible amount of aggravation. I has taken the time off for my brother's college graduation, which happens all of once. Getting called while sitting in an auditorium on your day off and asked "When can you be in" isn't a boat you want to be in. I would've been better off saying I was going to Timbuktu, and my cell wouldn't work.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Everyone has different obligations to their jobs, but if it's not life threatening just let them stew in their own poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't you guys have call ID on your phones?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Don't you guys have power buttons on your phones?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have a microphone on my phone, into which I can say the word "no".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't you guys have call ID on your phones?

Some places charge for that poo poo, the company cannot afford for you to know who's calling

Just assume it's always work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Migishu posted:

Some places charge for that poo poo, the company cannot afford for you to know who's calling

Just assume it's always work.

My favorite telesales call ever was from Pac Bell back when callerID was first introduced. I had taken a day off, the "sick of" kind, not "sick with". I was on the couch when the phone rang. I said a short prayer along the lines of "please god, let this not be work" and answered. I hear "Hi ! would you be interested in callerID service ?" I will never be that happy to take call from someone wanting to sell me something again.

Unless it's CDW offering to fly me to Vegas again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A laptop came in...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Ticket #40004759
Subject: NEED HELP ASAP
Body: Problem occurred when checking an account.
Contact info: ____________

I don't have the guy's phone number and there's basically no details in the ticket. I sent him an email with some questions and asked him to respond ASAP.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I rented a house on the beach for my wife and I and told my guys yesterday that they were under no obligation to go to work. We've got an on-call guy who'd rather have money than sit with family he doesn't like so it all works out.

However, some dumbass lady from a client's office e-mailed me yesterday afternoon with the typical EMERGENCY NEED HELP NOW!!! stuff because something hasn't worked right since last week and blah blah blah. Well that you let it wait for 3 days isn't our loving fault and it obviously can't be that important so I let her boss know and so ended our Wednesday.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

A laptop came in...

That looks like a Dell D610 or D600 or something related from the pre-D620 era. Why the hell is it still alive and being used??

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Entropic posted:

A laptop came in...

I have deduced this laptop is from the commonwealth.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

evobatman posted:

That looks like a Dell D610 or D600 or something related from the pre-D620 era. Why the hell is it still alive and being used??

Inspiron 6400. Running (probably pirated) Windows 7 Ultimate on 1GB of RAM. I just finished running hardware tests on it and sadly everything passes but the SMART log.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
To be fair, I had to do a similar fix to another laptop here. The thing worked fine but there was a fault in the hinges where the plastic it mounted into would break. A quick nut and bolt and the thing was rock solid.

Then 2 days later the HDD died. NOT RELATED I SWEAR.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Unless it's CDW offering to fly me to Vegas again.

Yes but companies charge for it now ityool 2014

Something that's included in the carrier wave, that costs money to strip, is a "feature" that companies charge for. :canada:

Luckily the practice is that it's now included in most plans you get for mobile phones but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

m.hache posted:

To be fair, I had to do a similar fix to another laptop here. The thing worked fine but there was a fault in the hinges where the plastic it mounted into would break. A quick nut and bolt and the thing was rock solid.

Then 2 days later the HDD died. NOT RELATED I SWEAR.

There are a lot of badly made (and/or badly treated) laptops where that happens and I've seen some interesting fixes. One of them involved drilled holes and zip ties.

• Locked thread