Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TARDISman posted:

I saw that picture and thought "Oh god, crazy eyes!" Him as The Captain was one of the best things about the last couple seasons of HIMYM.

HOW DID I NOT REALIZE HE WAS THE CAPTAIN. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

I gave up on BSG like four episodes into season 3 when it was absolutely clear nothing would ever go anywhere

So you quit either right before or just after a couple of the best episodes in the series?

The show hadn't even developed the real storytelling issues at that point so you basically just didn't like it, which is fine, but it wasn't clear yet that the show wasn't going anywhere. And to be fair, the show did go somewhere, it's just that a lot of people didn't like it. Same as Lost.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DFu4ever posted:

So you quit either right before or just after a couple of the best episodes in the series?

The show hadn't even developed the real storytelling issues at that point so you basically just didn't like it, which is fine, but it wasn't clear yet that the show wasn't going anywhere. And to be fair, the show did go somewhere, it's just that a lot of people didn't like it. Same as Lost.

The cylons had a plancitation needed

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Pander posted:

The show's producers agreed that the SA AoS thread needed another week of Dune and serial TV show discussion.

Aw snap, we are going to talk about Serial?!
I don't think we will ever find out who did it... season 2 better have a real conclusion.

And yeah, Kyle MacLachlan has some serious crazy eyes. love it

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I just hit Turn, Turn, Turn in my season 1 rewatch, and watched Cap 2 this morning. Season 1, with foreknowledge, is vastly better than it first seemed. The only episode that feels like real filler was the one with Sif and Lorelei, and even then it had that subtle hint at Ward being evil when he went to shoot May after the mind control had already worn off. Almost every single episode has some sort of hint of not only what happens in Cap 2, but what is going on with Coulson and the alien juice. The map writing is seen in episode 4.

That being said, requiring that foreknowledge to get full enjoyment from the season did backfire on first airing. I enjoyed season 1 as it aired, but it wasn't very engaging until Cap 2. This rewatch does make me more excited for the rest of season 2, however, because they clearly know how to set up stuff to pay off much later.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kruller posted:

I just hit Turn, Turn, Turn in my season 1 rewatch, and watched Cap 2 this morning. Season 1, with foreknowledge, is vastly better than it first seemed. The only episode that feels like real filler was the one with Sif and Lorelei, and even then it had that subtle hint at Ward being evil when he went to shoot May after the mind control had already worn off. Almost every single episode has some sort of hint of not only what happens in Cap 2, but what is going on with Coulson and the alien juice. The map writing is seen in episode 4.

That being said, requiring that foreknowledge to get full enjoyment from the season did backfire on first airing. I enjoyed season 1 as it aired, but it wasn't very engaging until Cap 2. This rewatch does make me more excited for the rest of season 2, however, because they clearly know how to set up stuff to pay off much later.

Sif's episode also had the conversation between her and Coulson regarding various aliens, adding more to the TAHITI plot and featuring the first mention of the name 'Kree' in the MCU.

That, and it owned IMO.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Blazing Ownager posted:

Heroes Season 3 is the most hilarious hate-watching I've ever done and I always bring it up as the worst fall in TV writing ever.

Sure Season 2 was boring, but I cut that some slack with the writer's strike changing things. Season 3 wasn't just boring, it was "actively retcon every loving thing it does every fifteen minutes, can't keep facts straight for even an episode." Worse yet, the first 4-5 episodes feel kind of fun - stupid but fun - until you realize every single thing that happens in them is retcon'ed after and has no baring on anything.

The only TV I've seen that's more incoherent and sloppy was the 3rd season of American Horror Story. At least unlike Heroes that stuck to it's "reboot every season" so it could actually recover.

But yeah. Heroes s3. So many plot holes.. so, so many plot holes. My God: I honestly believe it may have more than any other form of media ever produced, seriously. And I absolutely believe anyone going into TV writing needs to watch it as a cautionary tale.

All the evidence suggests the Heroes writer's room was a totally disorganised mess by the third season, with the writers actively working against each other. Writer A would attempt to push the plot in the direction, whereupon Writer B would decide Writer A's ideas were bullshit and completely contradict them, etc. It's kind of a crucial part of the showrunner's job to make sure situations like this don't happen on whatever show they happen to be running, so gently caress knows what Tim Kring was doing throughout the whole ridiculous saga.

I can just picture the massive facepalm Bryan Fuller must've done when he returned to the show after Pushing Daisies, all fired up to do some great work...followed by slowly dawning horror as he realised what an irredeemable trainwreck he'd come back to.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Castle Radium posted:

I can just picture the massive facepalm Bryan Fuller must've done when he returned to the show after Pushing Daisies, all fired up to do some great work...followed by slowly dawning horror as he realised what an irredeemable trainwreck he'd come back to.

He came back, did a couple of decent episodes, then more or less made a statement that was pretty much a polite way of saying exactly that, I remember. Kring cemented himself as an idiot, and I think in hindsight it's obvious Fuller had more to do with the show's success than anyone, so I absolutely agree there.

I remember that interview came out around the time where they made a big deal clearly defining a character's shape shifting powers to not make them OP - no major change in mass, no changing clothing, it's a sloppy and long transition, etc.

The next loving episode after they said all that in an interview said character turns into a kid half their size with a complete new set of clothing in the process. Holy gently caress that show was a mess.

ED: If you have never done so, try re-watching the first episode or two of that season; every single thing anyone says or does doesn't matter at all and every single thing is retcon'ed. There is literally not one coherent thread that survives by the mid season. It's kind of amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

God, the superpowered carnies, no, stop it, it's all coming back :gonk:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is OT poo poo is fascinating an all... but....

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
So guys, do you think Ward shot Buddy or not?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AbsolutelySane posted:

His personality problems. 'Best marks since Romanov, but poop with daggers at people skills!' Turns out, they were understated by a few orders of magnitude. There's actually a lot of subtle hints throughout the season, you just have to sit through the episodes to see them. My favorite was just before the reveal, where he's fighting the SHIELD guys in the hall and he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him. There's a nice shot of the knife on the floor and then the insane grin on his face as he sees it. Then he hurries Skye past the bodies so she doesn't notice they've all been stabbed to death.

Ha, I'd totally forgot about that moment. That's a nice little thing you did there, Agents of Shield.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NowonSA posted:

Ha, I'd totally forgot about that moment. That's a nice little thing you did there, Agents of Shield.

Also the episode where they went to the Shield base(Hub) there is this corny rear end narration and when they showed Ward when they said villains.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Masonity posted:

So guys, do you think Ward shot Buddy or not?

Buddy is still alive and will return to exact his revenge on Ward.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hollylolly posted:

Buddy is actually Cosmo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, one thing I have started really appreciating about the show is how all of the commanders and veteran characters are cast much older than would be typical in a show like this. It makes sense that a lot of the field agents and such would be younger, but there's a good number of people well over 40. It's a pretty refreshing thing to see in a show like this.

Rocksicles posted:

This is OT poo poo is fascinating an all... but....

I guess it's just interesting to look back at mistakes made in the genre. There's been really very few successful superhero shows - a few around a single hero, sure, and very rarely with powers yeah - but one with lots of characters with powers and such is pretty rare. Probably how that comparison got started in the first place.

AoS even at it's worst was merely lackluster by comparison and has really found it's footing now.

I still hold the show's dumbest moment, hands down, was raiding the TAHITI base... with live ammunition even though they had Icers well established by that point. gently caress, since TAHITI was in actual SHIELD control and not Hydra, they probably just went in and gunned down a couple loyal shield agents for no reason whatsoever. I am not one to gripe about violence or gray area calls, it just seemed like "if there was ever, ever an actual time to use non-lethal rounds, that was probably it."

ED: Also I'll laugh if that poor alien only wanted to go home, only to be buried for thousands of years, tortured for decades, then blown up.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 27, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Preview clip from next week's episode (minor spoilers, nothing significant beyond what's contained in the promos and official synopsis)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've been re-watching Season 1, and the crap is still crap. I don't think the foreshadowing is there at all about Ward in any of the earlier episodes. I honestly don't think they decided about his turn at that point.

Sure he has poop people skills, but that's not what make him a bad guy. May had crap people skills too.

So far the most striking thing to me on the re-watch is how loving tall Agent Hand is.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I've been re-watching Season 1, and the crap is still crap. I don't think the foreshadowing is there at all about Ward in any of the earlier episodes. I honestly don't think they decided about his turn at that point.

Personally, I have no trouble believing what the showrunners have said: that it was decided well before the series aired, but that Marvel Studios would not allow them to even hint at any moles within SHIELD until just before TWS was in theaters, for fear of spoiling the HYDRA reveal. But YMMV.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I honestly don't think they decided about his turn at that point.

I'm convinced they had it planned from the start, given Cap 2 and that Bill Paxton said a big reason why he took the role is because he knew going into it that he'd end up being a bad guy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, they planned it from the start. Brett Ward gave an interview after the episode with his HYDRA reveal aired. He said he was told to talk to the writers while they were shooting an episode, and he delayed it as long as he could, because he was thinking, "This is a Whedon show. Characters get killed off on Whedon shows. I guess it's my turn.".

When he finally went to talk to them, he was very surprised about the change they had planned, and loved it. And, of course, that it had to be kept secret until after TWS.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Butts posted:

Sure he has poop people skills, but that's not what make him a bad guy. May had crap people skills too.

The Loreli episode and all the episodes where Ward just suddenly starts wasting motherfuckers with no idea who they are (like the people just in the office building) when nobody else is doing stuff like that works in retrospect.

Also the alien tech almost all gets a callback, which is nice.

Seriously I used to always kinda be thrown off by that - early AoS was so Scooby Doo and small in scope, but when the violence hit, holy poo poo did it rack up a body count: And that's gone way down since Ward got flipped.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

hollylolly posted:

Buddy is Man-Thing. :smugdog:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Buddy actually shot Ward and has been masquerading as Ward this entire time. Buddy is the Hydra agent!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

First Bass posted:

Buddy is Man-Thing. :smugdog:

Can't be, he is the little brother, not the giant one.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Buddy is the mastermind behind everything, Forrest Kaysen is just his thrall.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I had never seen an episode of this show until I started watching the first season on Netflix last week. Yesterday I bought the current season pass on Amazon and am now caught up.

It's been a very nice week off. :stare:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SouthLAnd posted:

I had never seen an episode of this show until I started watching the first season on Netflix last week. Yesterday I bought the current season pass on Amazon and am now caught up.

Welcome. It is good to have you along for the ride.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

I told my roommate he needed to watch the first season with me so I could see it again. I think I saw 3 episodes with him and he watched the rest of the 1st season without me in 3 days.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, Season 1 is really good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want to go back in time and show people from a year ago these posts :allears:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I love Melinda May, but mostly because whenever I see Ming-Na Wen kicking some guys rear end on TV I immediately think "man, Dr. Chen has become such a badass".

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Rarity posted:

I want to go back in time and show people from a year ago these posts :allears:

I was about to say the same thing. This thread has done some sort of weird 180. I honestly think that binge watching the first season must make a really huge difference. I love the last few episodes of S1 and all of S2 about as much as anyone, and even I thought most of S1 was aggressively mediocre as I was watching it throughout that year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, only the adorable ness of Chloe Bennett and Elizabeth Hendridge and Coulson awesomeness kept me watching at first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Edit : phone post became double post

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New interview with obnoxious EP Jeffrey Bell. I'd say everything he says is too vague to qualify as a spoiler, but YMMV.

http://www.newsarama.com/22854-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-ep-on-inhuman-theories-ward-s-future-and-more.html

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mikeraskol posted:

I was about to say the same thing. This thread has done some sort of weird 180. I honestly think that binge watching the first season must make a really huge difference. I love the last few episodes of S1 and all of S2 about as much as anyone, and even I thought most of S1 was aggressively mediocre as I was watching it throughout that year.

Binge watching helps a lot of shows since it means you don't dwell on the bad parts. Even when AoS was floundering it had its moments, and the fickleness of memory lets us keep those parts since the rest of the show has caught up to them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I know nothing about this show besides the fact that it features Agent Coulson.

Is it worth watching? Or am I going to be shaking my head the whole time?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Binge it and watch cap 2 at episode between 15 and 16. You'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

enraged_camel posted:

I know nothing about this show besides the fact that it features Agent Coulson.

Is it worth watching? Or am I going to be shaking my head the whole time?

It's got a slow start (as many shows do) but it gets better with each episode and when things hit their stride it really gets rolling.

• Locked thread