Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You need to post some photos of the 90. I love defenders.

Sure thing.
This is an older pic of my 90. The green one

And here's a pic of a project I'm working on with a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Disconnected the key-in-ignition switch because it was stuck closed, adjusted the clutch pedal height and freeplay, and found out what the mystery wire hanging under the dash is. One of the previous owners replaced the clutch safety switch with a jumper, possibly because they were too cheap to buy a new switch.
Also earlier this week I replaced the spark plugs and wires.
At some point the shifter needs to be fixed. The rubber piece that isolates the shifter from the car body has worn out (common issue on ZX2s) but I need to figure out what to replace that rubber piece with so it doesn't happen again. Right now the shifter rests on top of a heat shield so it isn't going to fall out of the car completely, but it makes shifting feel all loose and terrible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

One of the previous owners replaced the clutch safety switch with a jumper, possibly because they were too cheap to buy a new switch.

Or possibly because clutch safety switches are inconvenient when driving a beater. Sometimes you really do need to use your starter to drag yourself somewhere off the road.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Fired it up for the first time since... June? July? Something like that. Once I mount the ECU, fuse panel and the relay bank, I'll take it for a little drive. Might put the hood back on, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5AIcEZjl8

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Motronic posted:

Or possibly because clutch safety switches are inconvenient when driving a beater. Sometimes you really do need to use your starter to drag yourself somewhere off the road.

That sounds like it would murder the poo poo out of the starter.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 212 days!)

SperginMcBadposter posted:

That sounds like it would murder the poo poo out of the starter.

Its a ZX2. The starter has more power and torque than the engine.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put a timing belt kit and snow tires on the VW. Come on winter.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I hung a wreath off the front grille. Will probably do the same to the trucks just because that will annoy the neighbors even more.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Viggen posted:

I hung a wreath off the front grille. Will probably do the same to the trucks just because that will annoy the neighbors even more.

Get the whole Rudolph get-up for one of them, for extra neighbor hate.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

(any DFW goons have a set I can borrow next week? or at least a decent floor jack so I don't have to use the stock emergency jack to get it onto stands?).

I might be able to let you have at my 3-ton jack.

some texas redneck posted:

Both my registration and state inspection (emissions + safety) are due by the end of the year.

I need 2 tires before then. And have no idea how I'm going to pay for them at the moment.

I gotta fix my exhaust leak before March. I thought it was a cracked manifold and I swapped it, but learned in the process that it was a different issue entirely that I have no idea how I will fix. Probably gonna have to take it to a muffler shop and have them have at it.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 21, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

N is for Nipples posted:

I gotta fix my exhaust leak before March. I thought it was a cracked manifold and I swapped it, but learned in the process that it was a different issue entirely that I have no idea how I will fix. Probably gonna have to take it to a muffler shop and have them have at it.
Whats up loud as heck exhaust plus inspection due in March buddy? I have a big honking hole in the muffler. :(

Shop quoted me at $310. I will probably half rear end it somehow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

I should do this to my WJ just to be obnoxious. I've got that drat Westin bar on front doing nothing right now.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Terrible Robot posted:

I did get larger wreaths for the Cheby since the grille is large. The wussy Exploder doesn't have enough room to do the same. Don't need them snapping zip ties and going flying, after all. :v:

I like your idea, though. I could have the trucks (ok truck and suv) rubbing noses in front of the house. :3:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The new clutch safety switch came in today so I put that in. Hardest part was trying to fit both arms into the tiny space under the dash and keep the flashlight pointed at the right spot the entire time. The nuts were missing and the bolts don't come out of the mounting bracket, so I bought several different sizes of metric nuts that looked close to the correct size (m4, m5, m6, m7) since most of the fasteners on the car have been metric. The m6 nuts were the correct size so the thing isn't going to fall out.
Tossed the jumper connector into the glove box in case I ever need to roast the starter by dragging the car around.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Back in my tire days one of the other drivers decked his truck out full Rudolph, put an inverter under the seat and covered the toolboxes with Christmas lights, and candy caned the toolbox doors with red plastidip. It was loving glorious, up until someone in head office got emailed a picture of it and flipped the hell out over 'Company Image'.
I picked up my car from the dealer after getting that recall poo poo done finally, and they only hosed up one thing! They didn't reinstall the stereo/hazard/defog switch bezel properly, that's really good considering this was at the worst GM dealership in town-but the only one I can get to on foot in a reasonable amount of time.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 22, 2014

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Finally got the BMW coding software to communicate with my car. Found out why my one head lamp wasn't auto leveling (forgot to plug it back in after changing headlight lenses). Replaced a damaged fuel line, and replaced a broken crank case breather hose.

Looking forward to playing with all the strange coding stuff.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Replaced the blower motor and climate control panel and fixed the PO's wiring mess. I now have completely functional A/C, heat, defrost, etc. for the first time since I bought it six years ago. :effort:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Brought the Pulsar down to a Cars & Coffee meet.

Had a couple people recognise what it was, and managed to get a small crowd around it as I pulled in. Took 3 years to get it looking good enough to show, so, happy to see people appreciate it :3:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Did it come with the Shooting Brake/Hatch section that color or was it a donor off another (assuming grey) vehicle?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Cage posted:

Whats up loud as heck exhaust plus inspection due in March buddy? I have a big honking hole in the muffler. :(

Shop quoted me at $310. I will probably half rear end it somehow.

It's not particularly loud, but the leak is ahead of the cat so I think it's a bit of an issue.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PhoenixWing posted:

Had a couple people recognise what it was, and managed to get a small crowd around it as I pulled in. Took 3 years to get it looking good enough to show, so, happy to see people appreciate it :3:

Lookin good, I love the wheels.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Dannywilson posted:

Did it come with the Shooting Brake/Hatch section that color or was it a donor off another (assuming grey) vehicle?

I think they were all grey, no matter the color of the car.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Dannywilson posted:

Both hatches were grey regardless of the colour the car was painted. It was supposed to emphasise that the rear hatches were interchangeable and removable

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

PhoenixWing posted:

Both hatches were grey regardless of the colour the car was painted. It was supposed to emphasise that the rear hatches were interchangeable and removable

The standard hatch was available in the car's body-color. I had two friends in high school with Pulsars, one blue and one red, and both had matching hatches.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

DropShadow posted:

The standard hatch was available in the car's body-color. I had two friends in high school with Pulsars, one blue and one red, and both had matching hatches.

Ah, perhaps it was an option then? The brochure I have for mine shows all grey hatches for both Sportbak and standard.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PhoenixWing posted:

Ah, perhaps it was an option then?

I've seen them both ways so I'm guessing this is the case.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PhoenixWing posted:

I lusted after those so bad in high school. I wish they would bring that concept back.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Did some Metalizing :rock:

While waiting for that to dry, I swapped the rubber front brake hoses for braided steel Stop-Tech's and flushed the brake fluid. I'm really glad I did, it was pretty dark and murky.

Old dirty aftermarket wheels:

Newly dipped factory wheels with new center caps:

Look closely and you can see where I nicked this one while putting it on the balancer. :doh:

The lighting in the shop is terrible, I hope to get some better pics of it once daylight comes around.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I love plastidip, that even looks decent on the closeup.

Whats the metalizer look like on a blank surface? Like clear glitter spray paint or is it gray/silver in any way?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's a great example of "Aftermarket wheels: just because you can doesn't mean you should." The stockers look a hundred times better.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I agree. :)

Click for big.

E:

Cage posted:

I love plastidip, that even looks decent on the closeup.

Whats the metalizer look like on a blank surface? Like clear glitter spray paint or is it gray/silver in any way?

It's basically a metallic flake clear coat. The kit came with 3 cans of it along with the 4 cans of the charcoal gray base color. I used enough of one can for 2 light coats on all 4 wheels and that's where I stopped. I'm just waiting for a sunny day now to see the full effect of it. :allears:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 23, 2014

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Curbed the poo poo out of my rear wheel. I still need to go out and clean it up to see the extent of the damage, but I can't bring myself to do it right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was winterizing the Miata (it gets to live under a cover for a few weeks while I play with the Civic some more) and checked my tire pressure. 18psi on three wheels, 11 on the third. Holy gently caress.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I got a pair of fuzzy dice and a clip-on febreeze freshener, and accidentally spilled coffee in the center console.

Oh, and I ground the transmission a bit.

Not a happy 300ZX. :<

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I got new tires for my XJ today. The rears were much farther gone than I had expected.

And I also got DEEZ NUTS!

The truck used to have only 13 lug nuts, but today she's got a full set. Feeling safer already!

E: hey... did the font on SA change or is it just me?

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
My 406 went for £260 at auction, which isn't too bad. I bought it for £950, and I've spent about £600 on it. It's got me up and down the country a few times, moved house, carried numerous full loads. £260 back is quite satisfactory. I might even buy another...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Was winterizing the Miata (it gets to live under a cover for a few weeks while I play with the Civic some more) and checked my tire pressure. 18psi on three wheels, 11 on the third. Holy gently caress.

I checked the tire pressures on my RX-7 yesterday and had about the same. Hadn't driven it since it got cold here in TX.

E: guess I better check the Cherokee, too.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

As we had an amazing nearly-70 degrees today, I decided I should try to wrap up the simple paint stuff left on the Cheby.

Plastidipped the rear trim to see how it looked. Other than a bit uneven because I didn't prep the plastic that was broken off, it actually looks pretty good. Figure I'll just dip it rather than paint it. That way I can fix any oopses without having to sand it down.

Decided I'd dip a wheel while I was at it to decide if it would look better. I don't like the results. Good old GM bluishgrey is fine (it looks better with the chrome effects on the wheels).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I checked the tire pressures on my RX-7 yesterday and had about the same. Hadn't driven it since it got cold here in TX.

E: guess I better check the Cherokee, too.

I neglected to mention that I had just driven it the other day after a few weeks of not touching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I neglected to mention that I had just driven it the other day after a few weeks of not touching it.

You should probably sell the miata and buy my caprice. it'll tow AND get high 20s on the highway!