Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
When I canceled I told them it was because Black on Black wasn't on enough (I wasn't lying either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who owns 'the tapes?'

Sirius or Stern?

And who owns the rights to the Sirus show episodes? Could Sirius play them without paying Howard or having his consent?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I know next to nothing about business, but I'd imagine there's no way Sirius paid Howard the kind of money they did without at LEAST having full rights to all the Sirius shows and probably all shows ever once he leaves. Probably one of the reasons he's hesitant to leave. He knows they can just play old shows for another forty years and make money off him, why not come in on a half-asked schedule and get paid?

Fun fact: Sirius (for whom I re-upped at $24/6months a while ago, just reupped me at their usual rate, charging my credit card for $100 for another six months! Thanks Sirius!

I know there are a few steps I could have taken to prevent this, but I forgot. It still feels like a slimy tactic. No warning, no notification of rate increase, just BOOM $100 out of my account.

Advice fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 27, 2014

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I just renewed at the $30 for 6 months and it pretty clearly tells you on the website that it will automatically bill you at the higher rate at the end of the six months. You have to check a box to agree to it and everything.

I just used a credit card that expires between now and then.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Make a call and get a customer rep on the phone. When I reupped a few months ago I just acted like I was adamant about cancelling and they gave me their premium subscription for $90 a year. Honestly, I think I could have gotten a sweeter deal if I just went for a H100 + H101 (which is all I really care about).

Definitely going to let my subscription run out and cancel once the shows gone, though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Oops quote is not edit.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Sock The Great posted:

I just renewed at the $30 for 6 months and it pretty clearly tells you on the website that it will automatically bill you at the higher rate at the end of the six months. You have to check a box to agree to it and everything.

I just used a credit card that expires between now and then.

I didn't use a website, though. Just talked to someone on the phone.

Not disparaging your argument, which is why I clearly stated "I know there are a few steps I could have taken to prevent this" and I'm not blaming anyone but myself, just noting a slimy tactic that Sirius is forced to use to keep afloat.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wouldn't be surprised if Howard owns the full rights to his tapes now, considering the debacle he went through to get the K-Rock ones I imagine he had planned ahead for the Sirius years.

I'm also shocked they are getting rid of the 101 shows, I can't imagine guys like Jackie and Riley cost a lot to keep and if the show is gone in a year then it keeps the door open for the other staff members to stay on at Sirius and maybe keep some of the old audience. I could see Gary/Jon Hein and Richard/Sal having awful shows for a few years.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
IIRC I believe Riley got paid something like $400 a show. I'm not pulling that out of my rear end, it was revealed live on the show at some point.

$400. :v: If Riley gets that what the hell does Jackie get?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Oh come on, riley got a raise to $600 and eeron was up to $200, thats some sweet loot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's what, $30k a year? Not bad for a one hour a week job.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah I mean I agree with Howard on this one, its not a bad gig at all. Plus riley got to plug all his poo poo. How many stoned nutters actually bought a symbol for a laugh I dont know but im assuming it was more than zero.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 27, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Don't worry guys. Howard has all these great ideas for amazing content on H100 and H101.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Seaside Loafer posted:

Plus riley got to plug all his poo poo.

This is the big one right here. A good hour(? I don't watch Riley's show) of whatever you want, including plugs and adspace on a major Sirius station is worth a hell of a lot more than $600.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

The search tree on google shows 'the coming of tan' after you get to 'the coming o' for christsake!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Anyone hear anything about what exactly Brent Hatley (formerly of Bubba's show) is doing there at SXM? He was hired on months ago.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't worry guys. Howard has all these great ideas for amazing content on H100 and H101.

Remember when Howard was in negotiations in the last go around and mentioned how he was "developing 102" that would have insights from recording artists and a host of other content?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

This was the first thought I had when I saw that there were winding down the 101 shows...

-Atom- posted:

Remember when Howard was in negotiations in the last go around and mentioned how he was "developing 102" that would have insights from recording artists and a host of other content?

And that's just adding insult to injury.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

When Howard moved to Sirius I think the initial plans called for 3 channels once they got 2 running well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I don't know how serious they were but Bubba talked about how he could easily fill 102 with original content.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Bubba can't even fill his terrestrial show, much less that steaming pile of poo poo RadioIO

(he got canned from the morning drive show in Tampa months ago)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Bubba can't even fill his terrestrial show, much less that steaming pile of poo poo RadioIO

(he got canned from the morning drive show in Tampa months ago)

This was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back before Sirius started loving with him and he was doing two shows a day.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If they still did a staff gift exchange Sal could give Howard this:
http://www.costco.ca/.product.100129440.html

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

'Tis the time of year for me to sing Brad's Big Balls while grocery shopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycYyJT_jWk

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dont worry guys Howards just gotta find those notebooks full of ideas he brought over from TERRESTRIAL. (I hate that word, they're not doing shows from a space station for christs sake.)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

JB50 posted:

Dont worry guys Howards just gotta find those notebooks full of ideas he brought over from TERRESTRIAL. (I hate that word, they're not doing shows from a space station for christs sake.)

Every idea was a new episode of Homocop

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Keg posted:

Every idea was a new episode of Homocop

Oh lord, Homocop redux was such an embarrassment. The only good parts were listening to Sal/Richard/Artie "acting".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm amazed that, for a guy with the most successful radio show in history, he thought Fartman was even remotely funny.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Look, just wait until Howard Stern: The High School Years is released THEN you'll see some quality entertainment.

Assuming it debuts before the heat death of the universe.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

Look, just wait until Howard Stern: The High School Years is released THEN you'll see some quality entertainment.

Assuming it debuts before the heat death of the universe.

That project got shelved while Howard finalizes production on the remake of "Porky's".

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In all fairness though, how could someone ever be expected to top the masterpiece that was The Bitter Half?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
ooo-gah!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its something of a minor miracle Son of the Beach every got made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, am I sick of Howard talking about being an actor like he's been doing it for 30 years. It was one film, where he played himself. Get over it. Great job, but uuuuuuuugghhhh.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

In all fairness though, how could someone ever be expected to top the masterpiece that was The Bitter Half?

I don't get why everyone was always making GBS threads on TBH< really liked it. Gilbert as Mr. X was hysterical.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm amazed that, for a guy with the most successful radio show in history, he thought Fartman was even remotely funny.

It WAS funny... 25 years ago. I can remember laughing my rear end off at it. A good lesson in context, and how some humor doesn't age well.

That said, I paid for his stupid live new year's PPV special, and even at the time we didn't think it was funny. A total disaster.

GenoCanSing posted:

I don't get why everyone was always making GBS threads on TBH< really liked it. Gilbert as Mr. X was hysterical.

Agreed, Gilbert was the best part of that by far.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, am I sick of Howard talking about being an actor like he's been doing it for 30 years. It was one film, where he played himself. Get over it. Great job, but uuuuuuuugghhhh.

Hey he was in Ryder PI too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj0PUmd5qWs

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Jackie the Jokeman is an actor, if you consider acting is just people wanting to hire somebody to be themselves.

It's like when news reporters get hired to be news reporters in movies.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

It WAS funny... 25 years ago. I can remember laughing my rear end off at it. A good lesson in context, and how some humor doesn't age well.

It's weird, and it could just be me, but a lot of the gay sketches have just not aged well, even a lot of the early Sirius ones like Homocop and the Backside Boys stuff. It's all just cringey to me. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the Billy West and Gilbert still puts me in stitches years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Riosan posted:

It's weird, and it could just be me, but a lot of the gay sketches have just not aged well, even a lot of the early Sirius ones like Homocop and the Backside Boys stuff. It's all just cringey to me. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the Billy West and Gilbert still puts me in stitches years later.

I did enjoy when Howard tried to take ETM down to the homo room.