Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

Thanks, but are you absolutely sure it can play iTunes synced podcasts because everything in the app description leads me to think that it cannot.

I'm pretty sure the only app allowed to do this is the built-in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I want to sync video from a server file share that has plex attached. (So it can become via plex, plex api, dlna, or even cifs. Id like something like "keep 5 unmatched movies and three unwatched episodes of these shows. I think plex pass and infuse 3 can do that. Any suggestions of which to use or other apps?

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Edit: Actually can anyone recommend a pdf annotator that works well for large pdfs like textbooks? Does Goodreader serve this purpose?

I like documents by readdle for this.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Does Goodreader allow me to just sync the notes, and highlights, but not the actual file itself? I've got a couple of ebooks and textbooks I would like to annotate and stuff, but if it syncs the entire file we're talking about couple hundred MBs every sync...

Edit: Actually can anyone recommend a pdf annotator that works well for large pdfs like textbooks? Does Goodreader serve this purpose?

I work extensively with large PDFs (I'm in an English PhD program) and spend a lot of time in PDF Expert; I've used both PDF Expert and Good Reader, and I definitely prefer PDF Expert.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

I work extensively with large PDFs (I'm in an English PhD program) and spend a lot of time in PDF Expert; I've used both PDF Expert and Good Reader, and I definitely prefer PDF Expert.

Yeah, I've been starting to use PDF Expert a lot more over the last week (I also deal with very large PDFs). I'm also playing with Documents 5 by the same company, and pretty drat pleased with it as well. Good Reader may end up in the uninstall pile. However, I do feel I definitely got much more than my money's worth in Good Reader.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an app that will let me export HealthKit data points, so I could print it out and show to my doctor?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I finally bought BeWeather 2 and it's pretty rad. I love being able to customize the weather icons and the font and poo poo to my liking. And the Today widget is pretty much perfect for me so far. And the nearest weather station is only a few streets away from my house :)

My only gripe is that when I open the app back up after I'm either in another app or my phone is locked, it doesn't seem to auto-refresh and I don't know how to refresh it. Like right now, it's 8:07 and it says "Reported at 7:43PM", which is what it said like 15 minutes ago too. But maybe that particular weather station only refreshes at intervals like every 30 minutes or every hour or something like that? If that's the case, then that's not a gripe. I've just only been using it for a few hours and not completely sure how it works yet.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My only gripe is that when I open the app back up after I'm either in another app or my phone is locked, it doesn't seem to auto-refresh and I don't know how to refresh it. Like right now, it's 8:07 and it says "Reported at 7:43PM", which is what it said like 15 minutes ago too. But maybe that particular weather station only refreshes at intervals like every 30 minutes or every hour or something like that? If that's the case, then that's not a gripe. I've just only been using it for a few hours and not completely sure how it works yet.

If you hit the hamburger icon in the top left you can pull down on the locations to force a refresh. Not sure if that will do anything if the station reports periodically. Mine eventually auto refreshes a moment after opening the app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChetReckless posted:

If you hit the hamburger icon in the top left you can pull down on the locations to force a refresh. Not sure if that will do anything if the station reports periodically. Mine eventually auto refreshes a moment after opening the app.
I just opened it up for the first time in like 2 hours and left it open for a moment and it did its auto-refresh thing. I didn't need to force it by selecting a location. It just didn't seem like it was working properly earlier, but maybe it was. Oh well v:shobon:v

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does anyone know if the iPad and iPhone versions of Kingdom Rush Origins sync saves across devices? In the last version of Kingdom Rush they didn't, much to my disappointment. I wonder if they've fixed it this time around?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does anyone know if the iPad and iPhone versions of Kingdom Rush Origins sync saves across devices? In the last version of Kingdom Rush they didn't, much to my disappointment. I wonder if they've fixed it this time around?

If they're universal apps and use iCloud syncs, they should.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Jose Oquendo posted:

If they're universal apps and use iCloud syncs, they should.

They're separate apps :/ maybe that's why they don't work together. Kinda odd, I don't want to have to redo a bunch of levels :(

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They're separate apps :/ maybe that's why they don't work together. Kinda odd, I don't want to have to redo a bunch of levels :(

They can still sync with iCloud if they're separate apps, but if they don't specifically say they sync then they probably don't. Most (or maybe all?) games that I've played don't sync save data which is a pretty big bummer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dizzywhip posted:

They can still sync with iCloud if they're separate apps, but if they don't specifically say they sync then they probably don't. Most (or maybe all?) games that I've played don't sync save data which is a pretty big bummer.

To be clear, if they're separate apps, they can't sync with each other via iCloud, as the data is sandboxed at that end too. No reason the devs couldn't make them sync, but there's no way to tell without trying it.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
What's a good iOS image resizing app? I upload IOS screenshots sometimes and they are 2208x1242. :wtc:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just to update the "Overcast sucks because no imported media" tip, the latest episode of Accidental Tech Podcast addresses this issue to an extent. Marco has the functionality for his own personal version but is currently canvassing the legality of allowing imported media for all users. This is because it would necessarily need to go through the web player as well, and he is not sure where he would be (legally) if people used Overcast to have him effectively webhost potentially pirated content.

So, if he does get comfortable with the concept all the work is already done for the feature.

It's a pretty sensible concern and I guess it's just the bad comes with the good of having a decent web player.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did he mention adding password protected podcasts to the app?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Did he mention adding password protected podcasts to the app?
Not specifically, but based on the context of the conversation I don't think he has any real issue with the idea. He admits that he doesn't tend to do things that he doesn't see sufficient demand for. The iPad version of the app only came as a result of an iOS8 bug forcing his hand. The overall conversation was that he is not inclined to do an Overcast Mac App despite the limitations of the web player.

What's your password protected podcast, anyway? I wouldn't mind tweeting/filing feedback to him as well, it seems like a reasonable if niche feature.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:
http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kenny Logins posted:

Not specifically, but based on the context of the conversation I don't think he has any real issue with the idea. He admits that he doesn't tend to do things that he doesn't see sufficient demand for. The iPad version of the app only came as a result of an iOS8 bug forcing his hand. The overall conversation was that he is not inclined to do an Overcast Mac App despite the limitations of the web player.

What's your password protected podcast, anyway? I wouldn't mind tweeting/filing feedback to him as well, it seems like a reasonable if niche feature.

Thanks. It's the wrestling observer members podcast.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks. It's the wrestling observer members podcast.
Done (tweeted and email feedback). You may want to contact that podcast directly and ask if they have a URL "hack" like the one Disappointing Pie (and I) have referenced. Couldn't hurt to try, at least.

It's hard to say if a podcatcher could even have a one-size-fits-all password-protected podcasts login, now that I think of it. Does yours work in iTunes or anything else, or have you always just been logging in, downloading manually, and uploading via iTunes/Podcasts.app?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks very much, you needn't have made the effort. Very much appreciated! I usually listen through downcast, or very occasionally through iTunes. Log in one time, save my info, sorted.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:

[url]http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/[/url]

Thanks for this. I've been meaning to figure this out but hadn't gotten around to it.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

wooger posted:

To be clear, if they're separate apps, they can't sync with each other via iCloud, as the data is sandboxed at that end too. No reason the devs couldn't make them sync, but there's no way to tell without trying it.

They can though -- apps that are made by the same developer can share the same iCloud container. If that wasn't the case, apps that have free and paid versions wouldn't be able to share data between each other.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is it easy to get started with 1password? Can I like import saved passwords from chrome quickly?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

teraflame posted:

Is it easy to get started with 1password? Can I like import saved passwords from chrome quickly?

When you login to sites, an annoying rear end bar will appear and ask if you wanna save the pass to 1Password.

e: On a computer, that is. If you have them saved via Chrome for iOS, I have no idea.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teraflame posted:

No, the keystores don't talk to each other if that's what you mean. While it causes inconvenience in this case, it's pretty much a good thing from a security standpoint that you can't import and export via 3rd party applications. EDIT: You can export stuff from the keychain using the CLI. See EDIT below.

The only way to get Safari passwords into 1Password is to visit each site, auto login using Safari and then allow 1Password Safari extension in OS X to store it. Can't do it at all with the iOS extension. That extension can only fill out logons from 1Password.

I just do mine in a "as I come across it" method. However, for the most part I'm logging in via 1Password and then allowing Safari to remember the login details.

EDIT now I see you mentioned Chrome.

1Password *will* import plaintext files in LastPass, SplashID or CSV. This is for OS X only, iOS there is no import.

Latest versions or Chrome use the OS X keychain. Go to this page and there's a comment for OS X regarding getting a list of passwords from the Chrome keychain.

http://superuser.com/questions/655294/how-can-i-export-chrome-passwords

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got an app shopper alert that Plex went down to 1.99 but on the store it's still 4.99. Hope it drops! :ohdear:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

When you login to sites, an annoying rear end bar will appear and ask if you wanna save the pass to 1Password.

e: On a computer, that is. If you have them saved via Chrome for iOS, I have no idea.

Upon looking into this further, I have to buy it twice? On iOS and $50 windows license just to sync between them?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I am looking for something to organize (and separate) pictures that I download from pictures that I take with my camera. I do not like the default app for this. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good photo organizer? Under $2 would be ideal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new Comic Zeal update totally ruined the app by not showing the names of series or divider labels. What's a good alternative?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

The new Comic Zeal update totally ruined the app by not showing the names of series or divider labels. What's a good alternative?

Chunky Comic Reader is by far the best comic app I've tried. Gives you tons of options of importing comics, very good presentation and features. I was surprised that it crushed comic zeal so thoroughly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teraflame posted:

Chunky Comic Reader is by far the best comic app I've tried. Gives you tons of options of importing comics, very good presentation and features. I was surprised that it crushed comic zeal so thoroughly.

I'll grab it, thanks. Why would they remove organization from Comic Zeal? There's no point in even having dividers if you can't see what they're named. And not showing the names of series makes doing sub-series (Spider-Man, then within it Amazing and Spectacular or whatever) completely impossible. I don't understand what this guys thinking was when the way it was before worked perfectly.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

teraflame posted:

I was skeptical and wasn't even going to bother checking it out, but I'm glad I did since Chunky features OneDrive support!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Microsoft has officially gobbled up Acompli. I guess that solves the Outlook Mobile-shaped hole in Microsoft's mobile lineup.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

teraflame posted:

Upon looking into this further, I have to buy it twice? On iOS and $50 windows license just to sync between them?
I installed the trial for Windows and as far as I can see, all the Windows license does is remove a nagging splash screen on launch then it continues to work just fine from there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I installed the trial for Windows and as far as I can see, all the Windows license does is remove a nagging splash screen on launch then it continues to work just fine from there.

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

I used the Windows version well past the license expiration at one point and all it did was add the annoying splash screen. As far as I could tell it was still fully functional.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

teraflame posted:

Solve this by paying 2 bux a month for Lastpass. 25 months later I'm sure you'll be ready to reevaluate.

Or deal with the annoying shareware business. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Molten Llama posted:

Microsoft has officially gobbled up Acompli. I guess that solves the Outlook Mobile-shaped hole in Microsoft's mobile lineup.

Yea hoping they don't shittify the app.