Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd love more completely separate bike paths. Here you can get ticketed for using the sidewalk, or you can take your chances on the main road. The bike lane, if there is one, is the 18" between the curb and the outer lane, where all the gravel and crap gets blown by cars driving by.

We have one nominal "bike route" which is a nice 4 mile path separate from anything else, and then 17 miles of "good luck on the six inch shoulder of this windy rural backroad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Javid posted:

I'd love more completely separate bike paths. Here you can get ticketed for using the sidewalk, or you can take your chances on the main road. The bike lane, if there is one, is the 18" between the curb and the outer lane, where all the gravel and crap gets blown by cars driving by.

We have one nominal "bike route" which is a nice 4 mile path separate from anything else, and then 17 miles of "good luck on the six inch shoulder of this windy rural backroad!"

Don't forget that after peak hours, there are often parked cars at meters!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chicago has a couple bike-only paths (most notably, pretty much the entire lakefront) and it's awesome. In the next couple of years they're working on adding two major bike arteries besides the lakefront -- one up the Chicago river which will connect most of the NW neighborhoods to downtown; and the Bloomington trail, which is taking an abandoned elevated railroad going E/W and converting it to a bike trail. We also got bike shares a couple years ago, and some bike-only lanes through downtown.

Our mayor might be incredibly corrupt, but on the upside he's an avid cyclist.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just how overtaxed is the K-96 highway in Wichtia Kansas? Basically, K-96 from I-135 to the next two exits west (hillside, and oliver respectively) averages 58,300 cars per day on a four lane stretch of highway. I don't know the theoretical max capacity of a four lane urban highway, but some stretches of the 6 lane highway in the area are as low as 40K (some areas are as high as 100K).

Numbers are here: http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/burTransPlan/maps/CountMaps/Districts/inset13.PDF

Pretty pictures of the problem are here:

Detail of K-96 to I-135 to K-96/I-235/K-254 intersection of doom:
(the lower half of this pretty :psyboom: but most of weird rear end ramps are low traffic)

Street view of the lead up to the loop of doom:

It's also worthwhile to note that K-96 just a few miles east of hell goes to minimal traffic, primarily because there are four loving stop lights, two of which last a minute, on the 54/5400 highway between K-96 and civilization. I-35 is a toll road so it's pretty bad rear end to drive on, fells like a ghost town when you're up there with less than 15K cars per day. The last fuckup in my city is the intersection at 54/400 and I-235, a cloverleaf from the '50s with loops rated at a blistering fast 15MPH. gently caress that poo poo, I will drive several miles out of my way to avoid that crap. . . But the intersection is scheduled to be rebuilt soon, construction will take a million years and $:retrogames:.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Just how overtaxed is the K-96 highway in Wichtia Kansas? Basically, K-96 from I-135 to the next two exits west (hillside, and oliver respectively) averages 58,300 cars per day on a four lane stretch of highway. I don't know the theoretical max capacity of a four lane urban highway, but some stretches of the 6 lane highway in the area are as low as 40K (some areas are as high as 100K).

Specific workday figures are probably needed here, since these Annual ADT numbers aren't problematic at all by NW-European standards AFAIK.

A freeway with *workday* 60k ADT, and less than 5% heavy vehicles, is equivalent to a bog standard 'rural' connection here in the Netherlands. Yes you'll see peak hour congestion, and accidents will quickly clog up the road, but often not at levels where an expensive widening is called for from a cost/benefit point of view.

Here's a quick and dirty capacity calculation done to Dutch standards:

code:
                          (56060 + 2240 * 2.3) * 0.91
Intensity / Capacity =    --------------------------- = 0.405
                                4 * (2150 * 16)			
Your traffic intensity figure is (cars + number of heavy vehicles * 2.3) 'car equivalents', times 0.91 to account for the percentage of traffic that normally uses the roads during the 16 'daytime' hours = 58k.

Four lanes times 2,150 cars per lane per hour maximum, times 16 hours = 138k. Not that it happens very often, but a four lane freeway can theoretically handle almost 140 thousand car equivalents in 16 hours.

An I/C score of 0.4 is pretty swell really, not much going on, while 0.7 and upwards is considered problematic in my country. We had (and probably still have) four lane freeway sections hit scores of 0.85+ back in 2005, more than double the amount than K-96 carries. Massive congestion though, some of the highest in the world if you go by INRIX's standards.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Coo, I still think the area sucks balls primarily because of the Y in K-96 at I-135 (and the 25mph loop to get back to K-96 is a bitch). How would those features effect your judgement of the intersections ability to handle traffic?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is from way, way back, but it's been sticking in my head. In BC, our loving provincial government does, quite literally, consider painted shoulders to be bicycle infrastructure.
Here the process of making a bike lane consist of sending a crew out to paint a bicycle and arrow pointing in the direction of traffic every few hundred feet if the road is big enough to have pavement markings. We've also had local candidates for planning and zoning run on such ambitious platforms as paving roads at least every 25 years and building sidewalks where people walk on single land roads with no shoulders.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Pet peeve: At least two people on every page writing about the local conditions "here". Wherever that is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Independent posted:

Commuting is about to get a lot more exciting in London as the “world’s longest urban trampoline” is installed to let people bounce to the office.

Anyone wanting to escape the drudgery of the Tube or overcrowded buses will be able to spring along The Bounceway next year.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Are there other urban trampolines? I mean, I guess it's still technically the longest one if it's the only one, but still. :v:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Haifisch posted:

Are there other urban trampolines? I mean, I guess it's still technically the longest one if it's the only one, but still. :v:

Well, browsing that SpaceHive website that seems to be part-crowdfunding the trampoline idea, I didn't find any other trampolines, but did find this plan to turn a flyover in central Liverpool into a park. It's actually not a bad idea at all -- really rather a nice example of taking poorly-planned 70s car-centric infrastructure and turning it into a more livable, human-centred space. The location is pretty ideal, too -- right next to a museum, art gallery, library, theatre and a big park. Basically a lot like the High Line in New York.

http://www.landscapeinstitute.org/news/Liverpool-hosts-flyover-festival

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

lol

http://ktla.com/2014/11/24/exit-sign-on-710-freeway-misspells-olympic-boulevard-as-olimpic/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, browsing that SpaceHive website that seems to be part-crowdfunding the trampoline idea, I didn't find any other trampolines, but did find this plan to turn a flyover in central Liverpool into a park. It's actually not a bad idea at all -- really rather a nice example of taking poorly-planned 70s car-centric infrastructure and turning it into a more livable, human-centred space. The location is pretty ideal, too -- right next to a museum, art gallery, library, theatre and a big park. Basically a lot like the High Line in New York.

There's a similar plan going on in Rotterdam, where a former railway line (now the Hofbogen will be turned into a park, with the room underneath being used for shops, restaurants, whatever.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

On that note, I will never get tired of driving into Germany and seeing signs for Wankum.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, the funny place name thing.

Sensible name. 'Hell' is German for pale (beer). The beer is named after the village of loving, Austria.

The residents of loving had to replace their frequently stolen village sign (which costs $300 a piece) with a thing embedded in concrete at some point.

The worst thing is that there's American news sites around that literally censor the place name and even blur pictures of the sign. Come on... :v:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 29, 2014

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Jeoh posted:

There's a similar plan going on in Rotterdam, where a former railway line (now the Hofbogen will be turned into a park, with the room underneath being used for shops, restaurants, whatever.

In Utrecht they are turning the Catherijnebaan into a canal. Catherijnebaan was a piece of old urban highway from the terrible city forming plans of the 60ies where they were going to level most of historic utrecht and replace it with modern buildings and a bunch of urban highways. A few of the buildings were actually built and people in Utrecht agree they are the ugliest buildigns of the city (Hoog Catherijne, Neudeflat).

E: Actually it is more acurate to say they are restoring the canal they destroyed to build the Catherijnebaan.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's gonna be a while before that Utrecht project is finished, but the drawings look nice.

We're going from this:

To this:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I spent the holiday weekend in Phoenix, and god help me, I was actually impressed. They've been keeping up with congestion by building more bypasses around the city, while simultaneously improving the downtown to be a lot more ped-friendly and more comfortable in general. They're pretty much MUTCD compliant. The interstates use AASHTO E modified, and the state-maintained freeways use Clearview. Their new freeways are built with expansions in mind.

Gas there is CHEAP AS gently caress, and since it'll probably stay that way for the next decade, Phoenix is going to continue to grow and grow. Won't really help their smog problems or the complete unsustainability of the region as a whole, but hey, it was super easy to get around and I briefly considered moving there because there would be actual work for me to do and houses are cheap.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cichlidae posted:

I spent the holiday weekend in Phoenix, and god help me, I was actually impressed. They've been keeping up with congestion by building more bypasses around the city, while simultaneously improving the downtown to be a lot more ped-friendly and more comfortable in general. They're pretty much MUTCD compliant. The interstates use AASHTO E modified, and the state-maintained freeways use Clearview. Their new freeways are built with expansions in mind.

ADOT in general has their poo poo together despite all the funding cuts.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Gas there is CHEAP AS gently caress, and since it'll probably stay that way for the next decade, Phoenix is going to continue to grow and grow. Won't really help their smog problems or the complete unsustainability of the region as a whole, but hey, it was super easy to get around and I briefly considered moving there because there would be actual work for me to do and houses are cheap.

Your sales tax dollars at work.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

The sales tax wasn't too bad there, honestly, but taxes in general are very low in the US. I'd rather have $10/gallon gas and a 20% VAT on everything so long as education, infrastructure, and healthcare are paid for. There's not much point to a government if it can only cover its own overhead and then some token improvements.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A flat desert does seem like a pretty ideal place to build roads. No pesky wetlands or hills.

Personally I couldn't deal with how every block seems the same as every other block.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

smackfu posted:

A flat desert does seem like a pretty ideal place to build roads. No pesky wetlands or hills.

Personally I couldn't deal with how every block seems the same as every other block.

I'd think the relatively fast temperature changes at night cause the road to wear down faster than in moderate climates, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-ceqa-traffic-mitigations-20141202-story.html
Pretty big change out of california, will do a lot for both traffic and land use problems.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

The sales tax wasn't too bad there, honestly, but taxes in general are very low in the US. I'd rather have $10/gallon gas and a 20% VAT on everything so long as education, infrastructure, and healthcare are paid for. There's not much point to a government if it can only cover its own overhead and then some token improvements.

The half-percent sales tax has worked quite well for building a functional freeway and arterial grid network, but none of that money goes toward maintenance. It's nice to take the pressure off total reliance on gas tax and dwindling Federal funding, at least. Of course, education funding in Arizona is a total joke, but the roads are nice.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Chuu posted:

Chicago has a couple bike-only paths (most notably, pretty much the entire lakefront) and it's awesome. In the next couple of years they're working on adding two major bike arteries besides the lakefront -- one up the Chicago river which will connect most of the NW neighborhoods to downtown; and the Bloomington trail, which is taking an abandoned elevated railroad going E/W and converting it to a bike trail. We also got bike shares a couple years ago, and some bike-only lanes through downtown.

Our mayor might be incredibly corrupt, but on the upside he's an avid cyclist.

The Lakefront Trail updates are taking forever though! It might be usable in 4 years or so.

It is a beautiful path, I love it. Our mayor is fine, by the way. ;)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I've got a question for the traffic engineers. I just started a summer job at the local city council and have been asked to try find any research at all on the effect on road safety fixed convex traffic mirrors have. This is difficult to search for because cars also have mirrors, and you get a lot of hits from that. Convex doesn't help refine the search very much either.
On the other hand there is a lot of positive information that comes from... mirror manufacturers and installers.

So, any traffic engineers have much knowledge of the interesting world of putting mirrors on hairpin bends and seeing if people crash/don't crash?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Check out the work of your Russian counterparts:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Outside of Moscow it seems everywhere in Russia is just paved with mud.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've got a question for the traffic engineers. I just started a summer job at the local city council and have been asked to try find any research at all on the effect on road safety fixed convex traffic mirrors have. This is difficult to search for because cars also have mirrors, and you get a lot of hits from that. Convex doesn't help refine the search very much either.
On the other hand there is a lot of positive information that comes from... mirror manufacturers and installers.

So, any traffic engineers have much knowledge of the interesting world of putting mirrors on hairpin bends and seeing if people crash/don't crash?

I don't have anything on hand, but you might want to look at the Highway Safety Manual, if you can get a copy at a library. It contains a ton of research on safety countermeasures.

Dick Trauma posted:

Check out the work of your Russian counterparts:

Was this before or after they drove a bus shelter pile down into a subway station?

-----

On a completely different topic, would someone please explain to me what the hell 'sustainability' means in a transportation context?

I was looking at the CTfastrak (Busway) website today, and they posted a tweet that said something to the effect of, "Connecticut will finally have sustainable transportation!" At first, I just rolled my eyes, but the more I thought about it, the angrier I got, and now I have to come home and rant about it because I hope at least one of you will understand what I'm going through.

So clearly they can't mean that it's going to offset carbon emissions, which is the context I'm most familiar with when people say something's sustainable. Because they're diesel buses driving on an asphalt roadway built with money that should have gone to electrifying the New Haven - Hartford - Springfield passenger rail line. Even if they swap them out for fuel cell or electric buses, their energy is still coming from fossil fuel power plants. I mean, by that metric, electric cars are even more sustainable, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

And they clearly think that transit in general isn't sustainable, because Connecticut already has the country's most heavily used passenger railroad and a poo poo-ton of bus lines. And it's not a matter of removing vehicle trips, because they're only adding capacity, not removing it, and every bus they take off I-84 is going to let 2 more cars use it.

And it's sure as hell not promoting some new way of living, because we're in a state that wants more employees and more jobs, more houses, more cars, more income, more consumer spending, and completely immersed in an economy that shits the bed whenever there's even a hint of growth slowing down, let alone stopping or reversing.

But yeah, we spent a bunch of money on a new strip of pavement on top of an old railroad, so we're sustainable now. Great job.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
"Sustainable" means nothing anymore. It's bullshit greenwashing to make people feel better. We're all hosed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It obviously means that piece of pavement can be sustained for a long time, without needing repairs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It used to mean something, I still see it correctly used all the time, but like all of those terms have been totally captured by lovely marketing folk. If it's ever used like "X is sustainable!" it's bullshit, a thing should be described as either more or less sustainable, or helping sustainability. And it should be clear are we talking about economic sustainability, environmental, social? Taking a transit system in a place with shrinking budgets and increasing efficiency to save money is helping its economic sustainability. Replacing a diesel bus line with an electric tram system would be helping environmental sustainability and probably economic in the long run too. Actually changing land use along transit corridors to allow more density and relax or get rid of parking minimums could do a lot for just about every type of sustainability. But to just flat out say something is "sustainable" is meaningless. The sun isn't sustainable, the universe isn't sustainable. Sustainability is an incredibly relative term.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I'm so glad someone else agrees. ConnDOT hires firms to do PR and sometimes the buzzword fog becomes impenetrable.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Buses are sustainable in a general sense because a bunch of people riding a bus is a much more energy-efficient form of transportation compared to all of them driving cars. That is why public transportation is green even when it's a bunch of diesel buses.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a whole page of sustainability: http://www.dot.gov/mission/sustainability/sustainability-and-transportation-system

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The sustainability...feel it...
I'm not feeling anything.
You would, though, if it were riding on it, because it's really... it's famous for its sustainability...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

What is this meant to be?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They made a crosswalk starting from the right but realized it ended in a fence. Then they probably started on the left and thought they could stagger the bars to make it on an angle but hosed up and gave up half way? I don't know, the slavic mind can be very hard to understand at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I imagine crossing the road would be a fraught task, zebra crossing or not.