Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My dad is looking to upgrade his old rear end tv. He wants a 40" smart tv (mainly to stream netflix) under $400. Is there any reason he shouldn't get this one? I've never heard of the brand before. Picture quality doesn't have to be the best. He just wants a tv you can see the sports scores on without having to squint because they're so blurry and squished together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm planning on buying a new TV on black friday, and I've got a few questions. My current TV is a 46" Vizio that I got about 4 years ago and I've been really quite happy with it. My current plan is to move my current TV down to the basement and set that up for a second guest/entertainment area and get a new TV for the family room. My budget is ~$400 range and I'm looking at a 39-48 inch range. I specifically do not want the Smart TV features because I have a console or set top box plugged into it for those features and figure I can save a spot of money cutting that feature out.

Are the Vizio TVs still the champ for value per price for the price range or is there competition in that price/feature range?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

...figure I can save a spot of money cutting that feature out.

Not going smart is not going to save you any money.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

aBagorn posted:

This should be in the thread title since it has to be said so much.

By the way, the 60f8500 I ordered November 10th is finally being delivered tomorrow, no thanks to CEVA's incompetence. gently caress that company.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

aBagorn posted:

I already have the set top box and chromecast for it on the old TV, between that and having game consoles to put on both TVs I have all the features I would use on a Smart TV

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

DeathSandwich posted:

I already have the set top box and chromecast for it on the old TV, between that and having game consoles to put on both TVs I have all the features I would use on a Smart TV

His point is that you will literally save no money by trying to find a TV without smart features. They are a part of 99% of TVs now and removing them does not remove money. Since you can't remove it you just have to ignore it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fateo McMurray posted:

My dad is looking to upgrade his old rear end tv. He wants a 40" smart tv (mainly to stream netflix) under $400. Is there any reason he shouldn't get this one? I've never heard of the brand before. Picture quality doesn't have to be the best. He just wants a tv you can see the sports scores on without having to squint because they're so blurry and squished together.

TCL is a bargain-but-good brand. The ROKU TV is pretty decent.

http://gizmodo.com/tcl-roku-tv-review-a-decent-smart-tv-for-a-great-price-1634202171

I'm always for having smart features in a breakout box, but you really aren't gonna go wrong with the TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DeathSandwich posted:

If you buy a non smart tv you are going to gets worse tv overall. The price difference between models isn't cause of smart features. Its due to panel quality and other features like inputs, picture adjustments, physical panel quality, etc..

BonoMan posted:

TCL is a bargain-but-good brand. The ROKU TV is pretty decent.

http://gizmodo.com/tcl-roku-tv-review-a-decent-smart-tv-for-a-great-price-1634202171

I'm always for having smart features in a breakout box, but you really aren't gonna go wrong with the TV.

Unless there is an app update and you are stuck with the old version due to hardware limitations. My roku 2 for example still has old netflix and gets none of the new features.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I can't get my Samsung UN55HU8550 smart remote to work on my Cisco ISB 7005 wireless box. I've tried googling around (and contacting Samsung) to no avail. Figured I'd ask here on the off chance that someone has a workaround / similar issue.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

1997 posted:

This should be in the thread title since it has to be said so much.

By the way, the 60f8500 I ordered November 10th is finally being delivered tomorrow, no thanks to CEVA's incompetence. gently caress that company.

Make sure you don't throw the box out or anything. The buzzing and input lag for video games was so bad I'm in the process of returning it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
In PC mode you should be hitting in the 35ms range which is fine for most people.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm almost certain I'll be keeping the TV, but if for some reason I feel the need to return it what other option is there? Highest priority is deep black level and 60" minimum.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Anyone know of any tv stands that are 10" or less tall? I have to raise my tv up between 7" and 10", and preferably have a stand to put a cable box under.

I cant find anything that short anywhere.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

bad boys for life posted:

Anyone know of any tv stands that are 10" or less tall? I have to raise my tv up between 7" and 10", and preferably have a stand to put a cable box under.

I cant find anything that short anywhere.

To piggyback this I was hoping for something similar that I could put on an existing TV stand. I'd like to get a sound bar, but the Samsung UN55HU8550 doesn't have a very tall stand (first world problems) and I can't easily wall mount because I'm renting + the wall it would go on just won't work. I also don't want a surround sound system because I can't run speaker wire in the walls + don't want speaker wire all over the place.

Any alternatives would also be greatly appreciated. Maybe a decent 2.1 system with wireless speakers? Not sure.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

aBagorn posted:

I've come to that realization myself, but why is this? After looking at televisions for the holidays it became quite apparent there was not really anything to be gained from not getting one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Concurred posted:

I've come to that realization myself, but why is this? After looking at televisions for the holidays it became quite apparent there was not really anything to be gained from not getting one.

Because it really is a very marginal cost add. The processing power to run the smart features is likely built into whatever SoC they are using to run the rest of the TV features. So, if you already need ample power to do quality image processing, you likely already have the power necessary to run a Smart TV OS. On top of that, they likely get licensing deals for including certain smart apps in their TVs which would offset the hardware cost even further.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, the R&D has already been done, Smart tv functionality is a feature add at this point with better tvs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, the R&D has already been done, Smart tv functionality is a feature add at this point with better tvs.

A TV that didn't have to "boot up" would be a feature add for me. I just want a 46" version of my Dell monitor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

A TV that didn't have to "boot up" would be a feature add for me. I just want a 46" version of my Dell monitor.

Even non smart tv's take time to turn on. I cant say my 32" dumb led samsung takes any less time to turn on than my f8500 plasma.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Even non smart tv's take time to turn on. I cant say my 32" dumb led samsung takes any less time to turn on than my f8500 plasma.

Well, all my HDTVs take forever to turn on and for like a minute afterwards if I try to do anything but change the channel I get a little message that says "Your TV is still starting up. Please wait." No such troubles with my computer monitor. I just hate that I can't switch to my PS4 right away because my TV is busy spinning up their crappy Netflix interface that I never use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it an early Smart TV?

The first Smart TVs were trying to run on processors that were way too weak for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Well, all my HDTVs take forever to turn on and for like a minute afterwards if I try to do anything but change the channel I get a little message that says "Your TV is still starting up. Please wait." No such troubles with my computer monitor. I just hate that I can't switch to my PS4 right away because my TV is busy spinning up their crappy Netflix interface that I never use.

Modern smart tv's do not do this. Not to that extent. Maybe 10-15 seconds on a modern tv before it will accept remote input.

Also even old non smart tv's might take 15-30 seconds to accept remote input.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A friend is asking about this Samsung 65" curved UltraHD TV: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22-Class-%2864.5%22-Diag.%29-4K-Smart-Curved-LED-Ultra-HDTV-UN65HU7200FXZA.product.100129771.html

Is there any reason not to get that one or to get an LG equivalent like this one? I thought that curved was largely a gimmick from reading this thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone have anything to say about this Hitachi? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hitachi-LE40S508-40-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-HDTV/39254945

I've been looking for a good price on a 40-42" 120hz set...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hed posted:

A friend is asking about this Samsung 65" curved UltraHD TV: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22-Class-%2864.5%22-Diag.%29-4K-Smart-Curved-LED-Ultra-HDTV-UN65HU7200FXZA.product.100129771.html

Is there any reason not to get that one or to get an LG equivalent like this one? I thought that curved was largely a gimmick from reading this thread.

If hes going to be in a bright room all the time and wants flat then get the LG, if hes gonna be turning the lights down at all the samsung will have much better contrast due to it not being an IPS panel but will lose some off axis viewing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is http://www.rtings.com/ a place that has a reasonable reputation around here? I've been poking through their reviews to find a TV and between that and what goons said earlier about not avoiding smart TVs I think this guy is going to be my dig, though it's not going to be on sale for Friday, not sure if I should hold out to see if it goes on sale later next month.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 25, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rtings is great. I especially like that they answer questions at the bottom of each review. Even testing specific things people ask for.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I am looking for a TV for my basement in an area that would have virtually no light because of a ceiling drop that covers the can lights and the fact that it's a basement. The only light/reflection might come from any lamps we have.

Would this be ideal setup for a Plasma?

Do/Can Plasmas still have a better picture than LED or has LED surpassed?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AzCoug posted:

I am looking for a TV for my basement in an area that would have virtually no light because of a ceiling drop that covers the can lights and the fact that it's a basement. The only light/reflection might come from any lamps we have.

Plasma is ideal yes (and still has a better pic than LCD). poo poo I use a glossy plasma in a well lit room and it's perfectly fine.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Sup goons... How do we feel about LG TVs?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVLT0A4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pavDub1SHTYWX

I'll be using it mainly for playing PS4 games and streaming Netflix. My budget is around 400 and the biggest I can go in terms of screen size is upper 40s.

tia

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

I would go with a projector if you are going to have a dark room, otherwise yes, plasma all the way.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

I would go with a projector if you are going to have a dark room, otherwise yes, plasma all the way.

What's the best Plasma out there right now? Looking for 65"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

What's the best Plasma out there right now? Looking for 65"

Samsung 64F8500

Getting hard to find. Check Cleveland plasma, amazon, local bestbuy, any local av store, even the grey market sellers like eastcoasttv

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm looking for a new TV to replace my TH42PX80U. My main concerns are picture quality and price. I really like plasmas, but it seems like I don't have many choices left for that.
The PN64H5000 is what I really want, but it isn't on sale for Black Friday at all, so it seems like I could get a much better deal. I'm also considering the BJ's BF VIZIO E-Series 60" Smart 1080p LED (E600l-B3) - $729.99 which has good reviews for a budget TV. The other two options are the PN60F5300 which lets me stick with plasma for a very cheap price, but from reviews it seems like there is an absurd amount of reflection. Finally, the UN65H6350 seems good, but definitely a midrange display - and if I'm paying that much, why not go with the H5000 for only a $100 more. Though now I'm also considering the H7150 which according to rting has nicer image, though I'm concerned that a good part of the extra $300 price tag is going towards 3D, which I'll not really use ever.

Any advice / actual experiences with these 4 TVs? Are there any models that I should be thinking about that I'm not?

Thom Yorke raps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Hey, sorry to ask again but I forgot I asked it earlier (oops!)
I posted this earlier:

Valex posted:

I have an RCA 32LA30RQ (got it off Craigslist recently), and while it's pretty good, for some reason my N64 won't show up on it. I have it plugged in correctly but it still shows no signal. I've tested it on other TVs and it works, so the N64 isn't the issue
It's probably me missing something obvious, but any suggestions would be appreciated

One person mentioned that the input might be broken, but I've tested other things (namely another system) on that input in the past and it worked fine. Any advice?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Samsung 64F8500

Getting hard to find. Check Cleveland plasma, amazon, local bestbuy, any local av store, even the grey market sellers like eastcoasttv

Is there a picture quality difference between the 8500 and the 5000? It looks like the only difference is the 3D which I don't care about. Do they use the same panel otherwise?

I was also told by the salesperson that people like the Plasma because it looks more "theater-like", whatever that means.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

Is there a picture quality difference between the 8500 and the 5000? It looks like the only difference is the 3D which I don't care about. Do they use the same panel otherwise?

I was also told by the salesperson that people like the Plasma because it looks more "theater-like", whatever that means.

The 8500 has a high end anti glare filter and is the brightest plasma ever produced. If you are using it in a light controlled room the f5300/5350 or h5000 should be fine.

Also as far as theater like. I'd say the plasma looks less digital. Its hard to describe.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

The 8500 has a high end anti glare filter and is the brightest plasma ever produced. If you are using it in a light controlled room the f5300/5350 or h5000 should be fine.

Also as far as theater like. I'd say the plasma looks less digital. Its hard to describe.

Great to know.

So with that said, what's anyone's overall opinion on Plasma vs. LED? Why are you/are you not buying a Plasma?

Do you think I am going to be regretting the Plasma in two years when 4K's are the norm?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bestbuys website has stock of all F8500 sizes available for delivery or pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
How's the HU6830? That seems like a drat good price for 55".