Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tender Bender posted:

Crossposting from the Wii U thread: For the joystick on the gamepad/pro controller, the "boundary" of how far it moves is the actual stick hitting the rim outside the controller, right, not any internal mechanism? I smash with vigor and I'm paranoid about damaging the thing.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Is anyone good with Wii Fit Trainer? I tried her out for a bit and it seems like she just sucks. Bad damage, bad range, super weird hitboxes. Oh, and side B is useless at any distance less than half of FD. I guess it's supposed to be balanced by her having a self buff? But it lasts a whole ten seconds.

Wii Fit trainer is my second best character after Duck Hunt. She is very strong.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

How do you use b-airs effectively, like you say to approach with it? It seems like that's a key move for a lot of characters but I don't really know how to use it well without slowly setting it up.

It you want to run and jump in on someone with a bair the best way is to run forward, then quickly tap the opposite direction on the stick right before/as you hit jump, then continue pressing forward to keep your momentum (Or move in whatever direction you need to to connect, really). If you do it right your character should be facing the opposite direction they were running in. If you want to look into it further the "official" term is Reverse Aerial Rush.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 27, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Beat Master Core at 9.0 without losing a life--every form went down super fast thanks to having a Ness with +114 attack and PK Bonfire. Now if I can just do the same thing after being attentive enough in the fights before that not to lose a stock.

Amppelix posted:

Is anyone good with Wii Fit Trainer? I tried her out for a bit and it seems like she just sucks. Bad damage, bad range, super weird hitboxes. Oh, and side B is useless at any distance less than half of FD. I guess it's supposed to be balanced by her having a self buff? But it lasts a whole ten seconds.

Yeah, I prefer the alternate side b that's more of a spike. Like Mega Man's Danger Wrap, it's good for hitting opponents from odd angles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Wii Fit trainer is my second best character after Duck Hunt. She is very strong.

Share with me the Wii Fit secrets.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Amppelix posted:

100% pro strats right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkgTV-6jE8

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

All of her smashes have short range, but the D and F smash hit on both sides of her. Use that to your advantage. He aerials are really good, use nair to build up damage and either bair or uair to kill in the air. You can charge her b in the air and you should definitely do that. The same thing goes for the buff, use it in the air.

Speaking of the buff, it increases both the damage done and the knockback on her attacks. It's extremely good. There's also an alternate version that prevents you from being knocked back for a limited time.

As for the side B, it has use hitting people while they're off the stage and below you. It's hard to hit up close.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I envy the dead now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Welp, Smash Tour sure is bad!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Beat Master Core at 9.0 without losing a life--every form went down super fast thanks to having a Ness with +114 attack and PK Bonfire. Now if I can just do the same thing after being attentive enough in the fights before that not to lose a stock.

Yeah, I prefer the alternate side b that's more of a spike. Like Mega Man's Danger Wrap, it's good for hitting opponents from odd angles.

Wait, is the upper-left achievement in the grid don't get a game over in 9.0 or don't lose a single stock?. If the latter, :suicide:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's the latter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Anybody have any tips for Zelda?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

Welp, Smash Tour sure is bad!

So is most of the single player stuff is pretty bad on the Wii U version. Classic was better on the 3DS, Smash Tour blows, the Events are kinda bad and who ever gave a poo poo about Multi-Man Smash? Good thing there's no content locked behind all of that bad single player stuff!

I'm just glad the game is fun as poo poo when playing with other goons save for the occasional one with a bad connection.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

As far as I can tell, all the equipment and special moves are locked behind that stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I know, I wasn't being serious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Multi-man, Smash tour, and Classic are all pretty cool. I'm grateful for their inclusion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't done Smash tour yet, but the only single-player content I outright despise are events.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The only things that really dampen my fun in events are the lack of a retry option when paused and the fact that so many give the stipulation of "in X seconds".

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
You can't use custom controls in Event Mode. Wonderful.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

matrix ripoff posted:

Hit Y on the screen where you select the event's difficulty.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

AdmiralViscen posted:

As far as I can tell, all the equipment and special moves are locked behind that stuff.

Can you buy those things? I haven't messed with customizations much in the WiiU version, but I've bet a fuckton of gold in spectator mode because I'm a weirdo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Glimm posted:

Can you buy those things? I haven't messed with customizations much in the WiiU version, but I've bet a fuckton of gold in spectator mode because I'm a weirdo.

No

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

Why not try, yknow, looking at the screen before you draw conclusions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

matrix ripoff posted:

Yes you can.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Davinci posted:

Why not try, yknow, looking at the screen before you draw conclusions.

To be fair, it only shows up once you've selected an event and it's over in the left corner rather than the right, which is where you're probably looking.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I was screwing around with characters and stages I havent played and I tried out that metroid one and I gotta say... Ridley is a real bastard.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I did some event matches today.

gently caress EVENT MATCHES

I mean I thought they were kind of bullshit for a while but then I got to one where you have to kill ROB, Mega Man, and Metal Face in under 60 seconds as Shulk also it's a stamina match and everyone has more health than you. Fuuuuuuuuuck that. I was only doing event matches to unlock Smashville and Pokemon Stadium 2 (ps: gently caress Pokemon Stadium 2 I just want it for music in omega mode) and by then I turned the difficulty down to easy and realized I was going in the completely wrong direction. :argh:

While I'm here complaining I also want to say Sonic sucks and I would not lament him being removed from the game. Every one of his attacks is a spin dash and every one of his costumes is an off shade of blue. gently caress off. He bores me to tears. His only redeeming factor is he brings some Crush 40 songs with him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sonic sucks but it mostly sounds like you're not really feeling it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I love Shulk in any situation I don't actually have to play as him. He doesn't gel well with me.

It works out though because my main sparring partner pretty much mains him so we're really feeling it a lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sonic's problem has always been that he's got so few attacks with any actual heft behind them and you can't just annoy people to death in Smash matches unless you're playing stock. It doesn't help that few stages are the right shape to take advantage of his speed.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I tried to get a chain of 200 in Trophy Rush with DK, but the fucker is just so slow and clumsy that I couldn't do it. It's like teaching a retarded kid to tap-dance or something. :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I tried to get a chain of 200 in Trophy Rush with DK, but the fucker is just so slow and clumsy that I couldn't do it. It's like teaching a retarded kid to tap-dance or something. :(

Have you heard about Donkey Kong's down special attack, which has been used to cheese multiman melee events for over a decade now? It works with trophy rush as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Just tell him that his shoes are full of spiders

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Is there any sort of matchmaking in for glory matches? Tonight I couldn't find a single match where I wasn't completely outskilled. If I keep losing will I eventually get to play people of my level?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Papes posted:

Is there any sort of matchmaking in for glory matches? Tonight I couldn't find a single match where I wasn't completely outskilled. If I keep losing will I eventually get to play people of my level?

I'm not really sure. I basically lose every 1v1 For Glory match I play. If there is match making it's either terrible or I'm off the charts on the low end.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mabels big day posted:

Have you heard about Donkey Kong's down special attack, which has been used to cheese multiman melee events for over a decade now? It works with trophy rush as well.

Oh yeah his Down-B is great..... until you get a pile of boxes stacking up over the line at the far end of the stage, where his Down-B doesn't reach from the middle of the stage, so you have to stop doing it every 2 or 3 seconds to punch backed-up box piles to keep the stage from disappearing out from under you.

Plus he's so big and slow that it's easy for the lightning balls and explosive boxes to hit him, he's prone to falling off the edge of the stage when he throws punches while running forward, and when he does fall off the edge, it's a safe bet he's gonna die since his Up-B has no vertical lift whatsoever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Oh yeah his Down-B is great..... until you get a pile of boxes going over the line at the far end of the stage, where his Down-B doesn't reach from the middle of the stage, so you have to stop doing it every 2 or 3 seconds to punch backed-up box piles to keep the stage from disappearing on you.

Plus he's so big and slow that it's easy for the lightning balls and explosive boxes to hit him, he's prone to falling off the edge of the stage when he throws punches while running forward, and when he does fall off the edge, it's a safe bet he's gonna die since his Up-B has no vertical lift whatsoever.

It's really easy to roll out of the way from lightning in time, and if you stand in the right spot it does cover the whole stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-FNd2n3Icc&t=38s

:shrug: I got like 400+ chain on my first try.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a good starter guide anywhere for people who haven't played other smashes?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I don't understand the complaining about events, they're some of my favorite single-player content :confused: then again...

Kaubocks posted:

I got to one where you have to kill ROB, Mega Man, and Metal Face in under 60 seconds as Shulk also it's a stamina match and everyone has more health than you. Fuuuuuuuuuck that.
I just did this one and the reward doesn't specify a difficulty. You can totally do it on easy. And when i did, ROB and Mega dropped into the center gap almost immediately. I actually ended up standing there awkwardly for 20 seconds wondering if I had broken the game, then Metal Face showed up and I was like "oh" and then I switched to buster mode and killed him in five seconds.

The rewards for events are always just custom equipment. Good customs, but nothing necessary and events are a lot more fun if you don't sweat the rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Event mode is super fun, a great way to learn how to use characters you aren't familiar with, and if you're having trouble you can pump yourself full of custom equipment to make it easier.

• Locked thread