Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

Wait, is Amethyst KK? Because that would make a lot of sense.

No, Amethyst is blue stymie, noted poo poo poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The awful app actually hides any posters you ignore. Makes for much better reading and cuts down on data.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Frogmanv2 posted:

No, Amethyst is blue stymie, noted poo poo poster.

I gotta admit, I didn't think it was KK. The average character length of words was nowhere near high enough.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Amethyst posted:

You're a brainless twit. I apologized promptly for my careless initial use of a gendered term and then immediately followed up with another careless use of a gendered term.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Squats over thread.

*ugggghnnnnn*

Hits post

Auspol!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Matthew Beet posted:

Squats over thread.

*ugggghnnnnn*

Hits post

Auspol!

I support your desire to do squats. They're the sexiest of gym moves.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is there any recourse the house can take against Bishop? This all seems so blatantly biased.

Not really. It would take a majority of the house, and the majority is liberal.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Murodese posted:

I gotta admit, I didn't think it was KK. The average character length of words was nowhere near high enough.

Xylo confirmed in the BYOB thread that KK really did follow through on his threat to leave and never come back.

Nibbles! posted:

Not really. It would take a majority of the house, and the majority is liberal.

The majority appoint the speaker, and then are required to police that speaker. What a system.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The system was envisioned on everyone acting in their states/electorates interest but the constitutional conventions show everyone knew people would vote on party lines so :shrug:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah Sewing Circle is a Gendered Slur because sewing is strictly a woman thing. now stop stereotyping a minority! Sheesh.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

oh my god

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is there any recourse the house can take against Bishop? This all seems so blatantly biased.
They did move a motion of no confidence earlier in the year, but they don't have the numbers to bin her.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Laserface posted:

Yeah Sewing Circle is a Gendered Slur because sewing is strictly a woman thing. now stop stereotyping a minority! Sheesh.

Heh.

You'd think the senate would have oversight over the house, but w/e.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thank's, for bringing this back up. thank's to you.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

For the record, Laserface, here's why your post was dumb as poo poo:

Using "sewing circle" to describe a collective of people engaged in petty trivial gossip is a sexist thing to do. This is because

(1) Sewing circles have unarguably traditionally and historically been groups of women. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_circle

(2) Society has long trivialised social interaction and discussion among women by perpetuating the stereotype that gossip is predominantly the domain of women.

These things hold true whether or not there is anything essentially or inherently feminine about sewing. They hold true whether or not the person doing this analysis believes that sewing is women's work.

So it is possible to observe that "sewing circle" is a gendered slur without actually holding any stereotypically sexist beliefs yourself.

In fact not only is it possible, it's actually the only informed view to reach.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Those On My Left posted:

Using "sewing circle" to describe a collective of people engaged in petty trivial gossip is a sexist thing to do. This is because

(1) Sewing circles have unarguably traditionally and historically been groups of women. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_circle

(2) Society has long trivialised social interaction and discussion among women by perpetuating the stereotype that gossip is predominantly the domain of women.

These things hold true whether or not there is anything essentially or inherently feminine about sewing. They hold true whether or not the person doing this analysis believes that sewing is women's work.

So it is possible to observe that "sewing circle" is a gendered slur without actually holding any stereotypically sexist beliefs yourself.

This is not an empty quote. It has an ASCII penis 8===D

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Best post of the past three pages imo

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I must reiterate that this thread is The Good poo poo

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Vagoina circle

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Yeah but what if there is a mens sewing circle out there and they are feeling oppressed by that wiki article? wheres the equality guys!?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

Yeah but what if there is a mens sewing circle out there and they are feeling oppressed by that wiki article? wheres the equality guys!?

Do you have- Wait, you're an engineer. Never mind.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
The lack of media focus on Abbott's relationship with his wife is certainly the friend of the family in the woodpile.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Srsly?

Oh, all right then - the blackfella in the woodpile!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Dude, what?

Now you're just ganging up on me to play gotcha!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I bet you wouldn't be like this if I said whitefella in the woodpile...

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Those On My Left posted:

Whoever smelt it, dealt it

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Starshark posted:

Now you're just ganging up on me to play gotcha!

Who the hell are you quoting?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I wonder if anyone has me on ignore

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

tithin posted:

I wonder if anyone has me on ignore

I have everyone in the forum on ignore. I come here for the serenity.

E: Any other Brisgoons get absolutely mauled by the storm just now? The cliche "hailstones as big as golf balls" came to terrifying life and there are trees down all over the place. 67,000 homes without power currently! (So there's a good chance that Brisgoons won't be able to answer unless phoneposting anyway, I guess.)

E2: climate change is a myth

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 27, 2014

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Come back KK, Amethyst too.
You monsters drove Count Chocula away and for that I'll never forgive you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Bishop kicked out 18 MPs today (all Labor) making 47 for the week and 285 suspensions this parliament.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Bishop kicked out 18 MPs today (all Labor) making 47 for the week and 285 suspensions this parliament.

But Labor made her do it. Christopher said so too!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Came to Brisbane to work, stayed for the storm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
cue spike in poll numbers due to another QLD Storm which humanizes Newman.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Edit: beaten.

This a great thing. I have been working on this for a few years. Lesson to the rest of you: make submissions to as many parliamentary inquiries as you can.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 27, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Starshark posted:

I bet you wouldn't be like this if I said whitefella in the woodpile...

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'm actually a member of a sewing circle and revolutionary knitting group btw :iamafag: and it's always funny to see gormless toads who have no idea what they're talking about malign traditional forms of liberationist women's activism as a simple gathering of vacuous, malicious, tittering hens.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 27, 2014

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah I'm stuck at Toowong.
This is bullshit - these storms are supposed to happen on Wednesdays when I have a lift home!
I guesses I've got about another hour at least for the rail buses to start up

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SadisTech posted:

E: Any other Brisgoons get absolutely mauled by the storm just now? The cliche "hailstones as big as golf balls" came to terrifying life and there are trees down all over the place. 67,000 homes without power currently! (So there's a good chance that Brisgoons won't be able to answer unless phoneposting anyway, I guess.)

Yup, was just posting about it in the BYOB thread. Had to drive around one fallen tree on Milton Road.

Ket posted:

Yeah I'm stuck at Toowong.
This is bullshit - these storms are supposed to happen on Wednesdays when I have a lift home!
I guesses I've got about another hour at least for the rail buses to start up

Toowong? Are you umbrella dude?! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm in Newmarket, alarms are going off everywhere. 65,000 without power.

• Locked thread