Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blistex posted:

Holy loving poo poo! So anyone who has actually had a spoken line in one of the moves, no matter how brief, has (at the very least) a 15,000 word bio on them?

No. This is why everyone laughs at how dumb star wars is. There is no side story, no side characters, no interesting story with mystery or unexplained nature the audience can think about. Everything is connected to the skywalkers, family of space jesus. Anyone who has ever spoken to them or in their presence becomes an all powerful main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

Holy loving poo poo! So anyone who has actually had a spoken line in one of the moves, no matter how brief, has (at the very least) a 15,000 word bio on them?

No you're completely wrong! Come on now, that's not the reality of the situation at all.

Having spoken lines is not a requirement. Simply appearing in frame somewhere at some time will suffice.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

remember how wookiepedia flipped their collective poo poo when disney bought star wars and made the EU non canon

My Life's Work~~~
:qqsay:

Please tell me there's a link to some of this

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Where does Captain Eo fit into the SWverse

Predisposed
Jun 26, 2004

The next dreadful thing to a battle lost is a battle won.

Rough Lobster posted:

That book was awesome. It's probably the EU thing that makes me cringe the LEAST.

Didn't a model of IG-88 survive in that story?

Agreed. All the stories seemed relatively plauseable given the current canon at the time. At the same age I ventured into some of the Rouge Squadron stuff but hadn't gone any further into any of the books.

I think you may be right that one of them may have survived. The same book talks about how Fett escpaes the initial sarlac pit, I didn't realize he went into the second one....so much learning in this thread.

:yaycloud:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My favorite part of the EU is Lucas's description of what eventually befell Han and co.

"They died."

It's a good story a goon posted on this forum somewhere once.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Chomp8645 posted:

No you're completely wrong! Come on now, that's not the reality of the situation at all.

Having spoken lines is not a requirement. Simply appearing in frame somewhere at some time will suffice.

Please post the 20-novel series someone has written about all the guys at the conference table in the first star wars that just kinda awkwardly sat around while vader choked that guy that mouthed off to him, tia

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Please post the 20-novel series someone has written about all the guys at the conference table in the first star wars that just kinda awkwardly sat around while vader choked that guy that mouthed off to him, tia

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

There's an official name and back story to that hunk of metal kid Anakin gave to Padme too, I think it only shows up in the scene and has no plot relevance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The good old Mofference.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I remember when my love of Star Wars died. It was 1996, I had just read about how Corran Horn found his father's light sabre on Coruscant. I put that book down ( I don't even remember the title ) and that was it, I was done.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There's an official name and back story to that hunk of metal kid Anakin gave to Padme too, I think it only shows up in the scene and has no plot relevance.

Theres an official name and backstory to darth vaders glove which gets sucked through a black hole created by the death star explosion and keeps going on through multiple books.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

kingcom posted:

Theres an official name and backstory to darth vaders glove which gets sucked through a black hole created by the death star explosion and keeps going on through multiple books.

That was a pretty good thread about those terrible books. :)

Oh man I forgot about this.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

kingcom posted:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I can't believe they wasted drew struzan's time with that poo poo

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I can't believe they wasted drew struzan's time with that poo poo

They needed him to capture the majesty of the space whales.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That was a pretty good thread about those terrible books. :)

That thread was so good, why did it get closed!

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

ZombyDog posted:

I remember when my love of Star Wars died. It was 1996, I had just read about how Corran Horn found his father's light sabre on Coruscant. I put that book down ( I don't even remember the title ) and that was it, I was done.

And that book was still better than about 80% of the rest of the EU. the x-wing books by Aaron Allston were much better

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skywalker_Tour

like, sure, if there was a savior of the universe that everyone knew about as it was happening, im sure there'd be touristy poo poo about said savior of the universe

at the same time you're putting tour groups with fanny packs in your book?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Han I don't love you and I'm a kryptonian. PEW PEW

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Oh I thought it was a metaphor for Hitler.

i found it hard to understand how bad hitler was until george lucas called him darth genocidus

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

david... posted:

i found it hard to understand how bad hitler was until george lucas called him darth genocidus

Not gonna lie, I had to check to see if this was a real thing.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Holy poo poo, I think I had those books when I was 7! Wasn't the 3-eyed dude named Triocculus or something?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I had those books when I was 7! Wasn't the 3-eyed dude named Triocculus or something?

Yeeeeep. It was part of a line of "my first chapter book" Star Wars books.

Edit: Which I read the gently caress out of as a kid btw.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 27, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

What about stupid EU poo poo that we actually love? Because there were a couple of great stories tucked in the Jabba's Palace short story book.

My favorite involves a gamorean guard getting ordered to solve a couple of murders and just bumbling around carrying the bodies on his shoulders.

Another good one involves the rancor handler and really makes you feel bad for the dude after what happens in RotJ. Dude just really loved his rancor... :smith:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Grimlook posted:

Yeah for me , Anakin building C3PO is way more offencive that the midiclorians thing. Why the gently caress would a slave boy need a protocol droid for??

Anakin is a character in the prequels that they try to show as driven in wanting everything, not being satisfied with anything.

If not for the fact that the films never touch upon it really except in Anakin's constant vague need for 'more, more, MORE!', I could picture Anakin being sort of a kid who grew up, he knows he's on the bottom of society, but he's got this rebuilt protocol droid.

It's a tool of the elites, the powerful, the respected. Anakin is maybe smart enough to rebuild a droid, but he needs more than that to advance in life. A 'protocol' droid is what he needs. Something that makes him look important, a servant of his own, something he is superior to, and maybe even as something he imagines will educate him on the finer points of being one of the elites of the galaxy.

That's why his romantic delivery to Padme is so robotic, 3P0 has giving him essentially electronic versions of antiquated aristocratic courting techniques through his entire life.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

What about stupid EU poo poo that we actually love? Because there were a couple of great stories tucked in the Jabba's Palace short story book.

I liked the Star Wars Tales comics, small and weird stories by people who mostly were in on a joke.

Darth Vader fights Darth Maul hologram!
Indiana Jones meets Han Solo's decaying corpse in a jungle, while Chewbacca sits sad in the background
There was also a legit good story from the pov of a Stormtrooper by Garth Ennis: the redneck from a backwater planet gets drafted, suffers through the service and in the typical EU fashion he is the one that gets shot in the face by Leia in Ep IV

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

I liked the Star Wars Tales comics, small and weird stories by people who mostly were in on a joke.

Darth Vader fights Darth Maul hologram!
Indiana Jones meets Han Solo's decaying corpse in a jungle, while Chewbacca sits sad in the background
There was also a legit good story from the pov of a Stormtrooper by Garth Ennis: the redneck from a backwater planet gets drafted, suffers through the service and in the typical EU fashion he is the one that gets shot in the face by Leia in Ep IV

Speaking of Star Wars Tales, I think this is a good time to mention Apocalypse Endor.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

ManMythLegend posted:

Speaking of Star Wars Tales, I think this is a good time to mention Apocalypse Endor.

Oh sweet jesus...

This image is definitely the most cringeworthy EU thing I have seen yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Somebody told me that Boba Fett was in the lizard bounty hunters wedding in one of the books..

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbmYfAF2i4

Didn't make me cringe.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

RAGE HOLE posted:

Oh sweet jesus...

This image is definitely the most cringeworthy EU thing I have seen yet.

Umm you misspelled awesome.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Star Wars Episode IV: The Voyage Home

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid I loved KJA's books cause they were basically shonen anime in star wars form. Everything just got more and more powerful and all the Jedi had their own unique powers (this one is good at controlling weather! This one can't fight but she can can read everyone's minds! This one can heal people!) and in one of them they all join powers and throw a bunch of star destroyers a few light years away from their Jedi training planet. It was dragon ball z in star wars and I ate it all up because I loved poo poo that was dumb as all balls

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
When I was a kid the cantina scene was one of my favourite bits in the entire trilogy. A skeevy bar full of scumbag alien criminals drinking beers? Cool!

Then I read some of the books and found out that most of those monsters were noble jedi or undercover rebel heroes. loving Hammerhead was the president of his planet! Lame.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In one of the Tales of Jabba's Palace that overweight dancer (possibly with horns?) hooks up with another character on some adventure, only it turns out that she was fat because her people retain a lot of water and as the story progresses she very quickly losses weight and become thin and hot.

I think it was the one with that guard wearing black clothes and a black insect-like helmet who gets shoved aside when Leia and Chewie come in?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If even one of those characters had a back story of "they lived a mundane, depressing life alone and died of liver failure" they would be the single most well-written and realistic character in star wars history

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The thing about Star Wars Cantina that breaks my heart is that they didn't do more with BoShek.

BoShek deserves more than few comics here and there.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

NESguerilla posted:

Somebody told me that Boba Fett was in the lizard bounty hunters wedding in one of the books..
The wedding doesn't immediately ring a bell, but Fett's more or less the star of a complete trilogy about the bounty hunters guild, with Bossk the lizardman from ESB being one of his (largely braindead) adversaries, and it's all dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sombrerotron posted:

The wedding doesn't immediately ring a bell, but Fett's more or less the star of a complete trilogy about the bounty hunters guild, with Bossk the lizardman from ESB being one of his (largely braindead) adversaries, and it's all dreadful.

I legit liked the fett story with the weird space orb spider that acted as an information supplier and constantly had to be on guard in case one of its miniature children (or whatever) that helped maintain the floating space web/information racket became sentient enough to overthrow it. I think it ended with the Accountant node becoming smart enough to take over

• Locked thread