Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

Sonic's problem has always been that he's got so few attacks with any actual heft behind them and you can't just annoy people to death in Smash matches unless you're playing stock. It doesn't help that few stages are the right shape to take advantage of his speed.

That's what his problem was in Brawl, but now his up-smash and back air are awesome reliable ways to kill people. Forward and down smash too, but not as early. I played a shitload of Sonic in Brawl despite him being pretty bad, but I'd say he's fairly usable in Smash 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I just watched two teams in a row gently caress themselves over by suiciding with < 3 seconds on the clock while in spectate

This game :allears:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

People are whining about events because they're in the game. Had the mode been absent, people would instead be fondly reminiscing about the Event mode in Melee and how Smash 4 sucks for not having anything like it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i didn't like the events much, but thinking back they aren't really any different than they ever were, so I'm thinking this is a golden sun:dark dawn scenario where it's not that they're bad now, but that they were always bad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus christ, is everyone online a loving pro? I mean, seriously, what the hell? Every match is a stomp.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Jesus christ, is everyone online a loving pro? I mean, seriously, what the hell? Every match is a stomp.

This seems to be a trend across all Nintendo games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So people keep saying to use equipment to make things much easier. Which stats in particular are the best for besting the really hard stuff? I'm guessing power, followed by defense?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So people keep saying to use equipment to make things much easier. Which stats in particular are the best for besting the really hard stuff? I'm guessing power, followed by defense?

basically just power, and any other side effects that are useful. I have a wario that heals when he KOs people and it makes Crazy Orders pretty easy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I cleared Master Fortress, but I took to long and I got a time up while it was blowing up :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At what difficulty does Master Fortress show up? I haven't gone past 7.0 yet

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I tried to get a chain of 200 in Trophy Rush with DK, but the fucker is just so slow and clumsy that I couldn't do it. It's like teaching a retarded kid to tap-dance or something. :(

JEsus Christ.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

i didn't like the events much, but thinking back they aren't really any different than they ever were, so I'm thinking this is a golden sun:dark dawn scenario where it's not that they're bad now, but that they were always bad

idk I think Golden Sun is worse than the first two games but I defend those games more than they deserve to be defended.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

At what difficulty does Master Fortress show up? I haven't gone past 7.0 yet

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

idk I think Golden Sun is worse than the first two games but I defend those games more than they deserve to be defended.

okay yeah it's not a great analogy since dark dawn is definitely worse, although it's a mediocre vs. bad situation imo

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

okay yeah it's not a great analogy since dark dawn is definitely worse, although it's a mediocre vs. bad situation imo

I have a fondness for the originals that's mostly due to really great visuals and music (especially for the GBA) which is all people seemed to remember until Dark Dawn came out. That game ended on a complete clifhanger too :lol:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PerrineClostermann posted:

I don't really think of myself as very good, and the couple of for glory matches I played I did well, including winning the first one with Shulk. I guess your experience may vary.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Is there a list of which challenges are hiding custom moves?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow those top level challenges. Well I guess it's nice to have something I might unlock like 3 years from now because some of those are insane

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Finally got my copy in the mail, can't wait to do event matches and complain about how unfair they are. My nnid is bobjr8 in case anyone wants to smash some future bros

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spinning Robo posted:

Is there a list of which challenges are hiding custom moves?

Going by this:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-challenges-guide-284165.phtml

Here are the challenges hiding custom moves:
  • Score at least 200,000 in a single game of Target Blast Stage 2: Dire Hydrant custom move (Pac-Man)
  • Play Falco alone and get a chain of at least 150 in Trophy Rush: Accele-Reflector custom move (Falco)
  • Play Link and score 50 KOs in Solo Endless Smash: Ripping Boomerang custome move (Link)
  • Play Charizard and get 328 ft. or farther without using the bat in Home-Run Contest: Rock Hurl custom move (Charizard)
  • Obtain a score of 25 or more in a single Rival Smash with Dark Pit: Guiding Bow custom move (Dark Pit)
  • Score at least 150,000 in a single game of Target Blast Stage 1: Exploding Popgun custom move (Diddy Kong)
  • Clear the "The Falchion;s Seal" Event on normal or higher: Dashing Assault custom move (Marth)
  • Clear a Master Orders ticker while playing as Mega Man: Tornado Hold custom move (Mega Man)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Event matches are cool and I'm glad they're back

Also the orders are cool

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash is a cool game and everything aside from "fight other people" is all gravy, except they can be bad gravy, like smash tour.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reiley posted:

Smash is a cool game and everything aside from "fight other people" is all gravy, except they can be bad gravy, like smash tour.

Yeah basically

The 3DS game to me is 100% 1v1, items off, Final Destination and I still enjoy it a lot, so having actual levels to play on and other cool stuff to do is a nice bonus.

I haven't touched smash tour yet, there's not that many challenges for it right? Is it the streetsmash of Wii U in terms of challenges you will not want to get

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I kinda like Street Smash...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah basically

The 3DS game to me is 100% 1v1, items off, Final Destination and I still enjoy it a lot, so having actual levels to play on and other cool stuff to do is a nice bonus.

I haven't touched smash tour yet, there's not that many challenges for it right? Is it the streetsmash of Wii U in terms of challenges you will not want to get

It's just a lovely boardgame with occasional random matches. imo the actual fights were too few & far between and the stuff happening on the board is often really confusing and unclear, it's kind of a mess but you need to play one 15-minute game on each of the three board sizes to unlock Pac Land (which has a cool omega mode)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone have a spoilerific guide on hand for how to unlock all the characters and levels?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Does anyone have a spoilerific guide on hand for how to unlock all the characters and levels?
http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/Unlockables

Stages:

Pokemon Stadium 2 Clear the "When Lightning Strikes" event
Smashville Clear the "Playing Tricks" event
Kongo Jungle 64 Clear "The Original Heavyweights" event
Duck Hunt Stage
KO at least 1 fighter in Cruel Smash
PAC-LAND Play all the maps in Smash Tour
Flat Zone X As Mr. Game and Watch, break 100 blocks in a single game of Trophy Rush

Characters are listed on there. Playing 100 smash matches gives you all of them too.

I wanna know about the Music unlocks though

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

For stages go 'right, up, right, up' from the first event, play all the smash tour maps and then chain 100 blocks as G&W in Trophy Rush. The right, up, right,up thing gets you the bulk of them, and are generally the good stages.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the sweet tips.

I kind of want to unlock all the characters the hard way but I'll probably end up doing 100 special matches with 1-stock 300 damage. :effort:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Yeah basically

StreetSmash owns because you can do every "hard" challenge in StreetSmash by going into Training Mode and set things up as you please, and StreetSmash itself is fairly easy to get the hang of.

Smash Tour is a pretty lovely replacement for Smash Run.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Goons after the release of SSB43DS: "God, Smash run loving sucks! Why would Sakurai even waste time including this?"
Goons after the release of SSB4WiiU: "gently caress this Smash Tour business! Bring back Smash Run! :argh:"

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Smash Tour is especially bad because it is featured in main menu above the option for every other single player activity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Smash Run and Tour both suck.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

Goons after the release of SSB43DS: "God, Smash run loving sucks! Why would Sakurai even waste time including this?"
Goons after the release of SSB4WiiU: "gently caress this Smash Tour business! Bring back Smash Run! :argh:"

Smash Run actually does suck when you first start playing but gets a lot more fun when you have some good powers and equipment to use, which are shared across every character. So by the time you're like 10 games in it's fun because the enemies die in one punch and you can summon a wall of swords to kill 3 screens of them. It's also not obvious you should equip powers and abilities off the bat, since you have to do it for every single character. I mean it's not GOOD but it definitely has a bad first impression compared to how it eventually works out.

That said Events and Orders are better than any of the single player stuff 3DS had

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cicadas! posted:

Kind of expected when you replace one bad mode for one that's even worse.

That said Events and Orders are better than any of the single player stuff 3DS had

Both are bad, the latter even more so since you can't co-op it.

sigher fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 27, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh, absolutely. Special Orders are the easily my favorite new mode, when they're not doing everything in their power to gently caress you over. Which is all the time.

For example, I had a great Crazy Orders run going the other night, 3 CDs and a ton of other crap, and I felt like cashing in. So I go to fight Crazy Hand and everything's going normally until he uses the space-goatse attack and one of his cronies kicks me in. Unfortunately, instead of spitting me back out, the hole closed and my nametag was stuck floating in the middle of the screen, forever. Nothing could hit me, and no amount of button mashing did anything. There's no timer during the CH fight either, so I couldn't even time out to salvage some prizes. All I could do was quit back to the character select screen and flush aaallllll of those prizes down the cosmic shitter. I can handle a hammer spawning right in front of a CPU or the game dropping a bob-omb in front of you, but this was new. Fucker broke the game in just the right way to piss in my eye, that's dedication.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just incredibly unlucky?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Since I've noticed people are going kinda bananas for him lately - how do you play well as Diddy Kong?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I just discovered tonight that if you hold up or down on the movement stick, then use the smash stick in the same direction, you perform your tilt. This is perfect for me because I loving cannot tilt to save my life. Thanks, Nintendo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Trudis posted:

I just discovered tonight that if you hold up or down on the movement stick, then use the smash stick in the same direction, you perform your tilt. This is perfect for me because I loving cannot tilt to save my life. Thanks, Nintendo.
You could always set your c-stick to "Attack" rather than "Smash".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

Since I've noticed people are going kinda bananas for him lately - how do you play well as Diddy Kong?

His main strength is that if you grab and do a down throw, you can combo into aerial follow ups. At low percents this tacks on a lot of damage with front or back air, at high percents up air can get a kill.

Throwing bananas forces the opponent to shield for an easy grab followup.

• Locked thread