Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Wanted to chime in as I had also not seen A Christmas Carol since Netflix didn't have it when I was marathoning through all the seasons.

I liked it. Probably my favorite of all the Christmas specials I have seen (though to be fair I read the Dickens short story every year so I'm a sucker for this story). If nothing else, credit where credit is due, Moffat somehow found a way to do "A Christmas Carol" without it feeling cliched and done before (no small feat for one of the most retold and adapted stories in history).

One thing I had forgotten about Matt Smith is just how much fun he could be as the Doctor. He comes into the room and he's just a cartoon ball of energy that prattles on and seamlessly switches from one topic to the next. It actually made me think a little less of Season 8 watching this, not because Capaldi is doing a bad job but because it doesn't feel like the writers quite know what to do with him. From a writer's perspective (not that I'm an expert, just a bit of experience) 11 looks like he was much more fun to write than 12.

I also came to a full realization...I cannot stand Clara. Seeing the Ponds in action again made me realize how little the character of Clara has actually added to the show for me. It was almost, almost interesting that they started to make it so she was becoming more cold and alien from spending time with the Doctor...but not enough.

Anyway, back to the special. A lot of fun, well acted, a few weird plot holes. Like the days left to live countdown on the chamber. Does everyone have that? It looked like it, but I can't imagine it being universally applied. And I agree that Abigail wasn't treated as a person as much as an object. It was an idea that worked well on paper and the execution just squeaks by based on how quick and energetic the sequence is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Spare Parts is an incredibly well-executed story about the origins of the Cybermen. Davison and Sutton, as well as the guest cast, turn in excellent performances in a fairly straightforward story. It has its moments, OH IT HAS WONDERFUL MOMENTS, but it is, by necessity, overrated[citation needed].

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fungah! posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

[citation needed]

I don't think Spare Parts could be better at what it sets out to do, apart from perhaps more directly dealing with the Adric stuff. And they really should just film the drat thing within the next couple of years, because SERIOUSLY.

But literally nothing can live up to the amount of hype that gets raised about Spare Parts.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Now I'm thinking about Spare Parts again and I remember playing Bionic Commando during it.

I played a game where the protagonist has replaced his arm with a robot grapple hook arm while listening to the secret origins of the Cybermen.

How 'bout that poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jng2058 posted:

You fortunate bastard. You better report back on your impressions when you finish, dammit! We don't get enough first watch responses to old episodes around here. About the only place it comes into effect is over in the Occ/Oxx thread.

Of course, I do keep stumbling on more and more minisodes. I only found out about these two yesterday when someone mentioned the TARDIS in a TARDIS thing with a link!

Watched A Christmas Carol for the first time last night. I'm not going to do a review style write up, especially after Jerusalem just posted his excellent write up of a different Christmas special, but I'll hit the bullet points. Keep in mind these are from the perspective of someone who has only seen a handful of Classic Who, and who has seen every episode of the revival, except this one. And as a warning, I love the poo poo out of whimsy.

• That was just magical. From start to finish it was fun, exciting, humorous, heart breaking, epic, yet personal. Loved it.
  • Matt Smith and Michael Gambon were both amazing. It must be fun to have a show as popular in your country as Doctor Who seems to be in England that you can get stars of this caliber in it occasionally, and have them give it their all when they do. Ian McKellan in a different Christmas special springs to mind. I'm not sure we have an equivalent here in America.
  • The scene of Amy and Rory, on their honeymoon, come out of their suite dressed in their costumes was hilarious to me, as was their flustered response when everyone noticed.
  • The Doctor arriving with, "Come along Pond" before we actually see them was a great way for me to jump back into a Matt Smith episode. Put a huge smile on my face.
  • As did his actual arrival, talking about Father Christmas (whom he has a picture of, though I doubt this will be brought up again in the next episode as he again meets Santa Claus). Jumping from one thing in the room to the next (trying to get the computer working, reassuring a child to never give up the faith, and the whole "Not important" bit) was pure fun.
  • The Doctor revealing what he could figure out about Kazran by examining the items in the room felt very Sherlock.
  • One thing I've seen come up a couples times in Doctor Who is his fascination with new creatures he's never encountered before. Here it's the fish who can float through fog. He just sort of stops everything and has to examine something that is beautiful and new. It's only happened a couple of times in the revival that I can remember. (I'm thinking of the Cybermite in Closing Time and David Tennant first seeing the Warewolf creature in Tooth and Claw.) Was this a thing that happened a lot in Classic Who? Because I'm a big fan.
  • It played with the time travel aspect of Doctor Who in a way I don't really remember seeing all that often. Usually they go to a place and/or time and then stay there when poo poo goes down around them. But The Doctor jumping back and forth here was a treat. Jumping into the past and showing up on the video was just a great idea. A way to communicate to both young and old Kazran. And I loved the way the present changed as the Doctor changed it (the bow tie, the painting, and the memories). Then also jumping back to the present to get the code that unlocks the storage area from old Kazran. Felt almost like a video game (the kind where things you do in one reality affect another, like Ocarina of Time or Metroid Prime 2). Just great use of the premise.
  • Matt Smith's interactions with young Kazran were really well played. Matt Smith plays his Doctor in such a fairy tale way that I miss, even if I also love Capaldi for totally different reasons.
  • The story of Kazran and Abigail is both wonderful and depressing. Organza Quiz mentioned above that she's treated not as a person but as a toy to be brought out on special occasions. But that's not how I saw it at all. She's someone who only has 8 days to live, so by continuing to come along and not asking for them to leave her frozen or unfrozen, she is, without their knowledge, choosing to have her last 8 days be legendary Christmas Eve's. Nothing but highs. Not a bad way to go out. And then her final day is with the man she loves (who she can see got to live a long life). I thought it was sweet.
  • Young Kazran with the scarf was a fun touch.
  • And the final reveal that he brought young Kazran into his future (our present) to see what he would become was a brilliant twist on the Ghost of Christmas Future concept. I understand there are some moral issues with what the Doctor did in changing the essence of a man, but in broad strokes it worked quite well.

• I think the Amy and Rory scenes were probably shot in a day. They were barely in this. But that just left more time for the Doctor and Kazran, so I'll forgive it.
  • Why did it take so long for the ship to crash? Other than, you know, so we could have our episode? Minor issue, I guess.

(Sorry about the mismatched size of the gifs above, that was strangely the only gif I could find of the flying shark sleigh.

Basically, this is why I watch Doctor Who. It was just a joy of an episode to watch, and will probably be added to my annual Christmas movie marathon rotation. Also to my favorite "episodes" of the revival list, along with The Eleventh Hour, Day of the Doctor, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Lodger, The Doctor's Wife, and The Girl Who Waited.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think I've actually seen that episode yet, so it's going on my Thanksgiving watch list along with a bunch of other TV I have to catch up on.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I've always loved "A Christmas Carol". It works for me.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

FreezingInferno posted:

Now I'm thinking about Spare Parts again and I remember playing Bionic Commando during it.

I played a game where the protagonist has replaced his arm with a robot grapple hook arm while listening to the secret origins of the Cybermen.

How 'bout that poo poo.

I once listened to Project: Twilight while mowing the local sport center's lawn.

No real connection there, it was just kind of a lovely, boring day all around.

Though not as bad as that one time in the army when I was stuck in a damp tent for a week and the only book I had with me was Timewyrm: Genesys. The worst loving week of my life right there, let me tell you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

[*]One thing I've seen come up a couples times in Doctor Who is his fascination with new creatures he's never encountered before. Here it's the fish who can float through fog. He just sort of stops everything and has to examine something that is beautiful and new. It's only happened a couple of times in the revival that I can remember. (I'm thinking of the Cybermite in Closing Time and David Tennant first seeing the Warewolf creature in Tooth and Claw.) Was this a thing that happened a lot in Classic Who? Because I'm a big fan.

That one that immediately leaps to mind is The Green Death from the Pertwee era. Giant maggots are slithering around the countryside and one of them reaches adult form as a giant mutated fly. They manage to kill it but when the Doctor actually gets a chance to see it he stops and says with a mixture of curiosity and regret,"What a beautiful creature."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've just started listening to Rat Trap, and every character is introducing themselves by name and providing their backstory without anyone even asking.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

I've just started listening to Rat Trap, and every character is introducing themselves by name and providing their backstory without anyone even asking.

Rat Trap sucks. Seriously. A rare low point in a string of great 5/Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough audios.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
A few months ago, I decided to watch everything in order. Hartnell was really good, Troughton was absolutely great, but Pertwee's not really clicking for me. Should I just give him time? I'm watching The Silurians and there's silly Godzilla costumes and things like that, but it's not feeling like the same sort of fun. For what it's worth, my favourite serials are The Web Planet and The Mind Robbers. I like surreal, fantastical things.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

Rat Trap sucks. Seriously. A rare low point in a string of great 5/Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough audios.

I really liked Heroes of Sontar, mostly because Turlough being a cowardly craven arse is always great. But yeah, I've no interest in the rest of Rat Trap. Seriously, three people in a row just up and introducing themselves after encountering the Doctor and friends in some supposedly abandoned tunnels is really weird and forced. I mean, it's bad enough when characters refer to each other by name for no other reason than to tell the listener their name, when they're going "I'm John and I'm president of the guild of exposition givers" it's pretty appalling.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

sunsweet posted:

A few months ago, I decided to watch everything in order. Hartnell was really good, Troughton was absolutely great, but Pertwee's not really clicking for me. Should I just give him time? I'm watching The Silurians and there's silly Godzilla costumes and things like that, but it's not feeling like the same sort of fun. For what it's worth, my favourite serials are The Web Planet and The Mind Robbers. I like surreal, fantastical things.

You will definitely get to things of this kind. For example, The Claws of Axos in the next season is surreal and fantastical, in a distinctively 70s way. Many of the Pertwee stories have a horror tinge to their fantastical elements - lots of stories with some unknowable alien presence, versus the good guys of UNIT - unlike the earlier serials you mention, which are more playful, and have the Doctor entering the alien world, rather than the aliens coming to unsettle us here. There are some really good stories in this era (even if, as usual, nobody can quite agree on which ones are the good ones) but given that it's quite a break from what came before, you probably need to see a few more in order to see some of its defining patterns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sunsweet posted:

A lot of Pertwee is definitely James Bond chase scenes and rubber masks, but I would stick it out until Roger Delgado shows up as the Master, at least. That way you can see Inferno, as well, and move on to his next companion. In terms of the more surreal stuff, A Carnival of Monsters is definitely up there, and you might also like the two Peladon stories in terms of the fantastical. Both The Time Monster and Planet of the Spiders are definitely in that vein, but neither are particularly great in my opinion. Of course, in the end, it's up to you; you'll definitely have to trek through a lot more rubber masks to go around.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

I really liked Heroes of Sontar, mostly because Turlough being a cowardly craven arse is always great. But yeah, I've no interest in the rest of Rat Trap. Seriously, three people in a row just up and introducing themselves after encountering the Doctor and friends in some supposedly abandoned tunnels is really weird and forced. I mean, it's bad enough when characters refer to each other by name for no other reason than to tell the listener their name, when they're going "I'm John and I'm president of the guild of exposition givers" it's pretty appalling.

It's not just that. The monster is disgusting and a little silly. Nyssa acts silly as well. The good news is they get back on track with Emerald Tiger, which is fantastic.

sunsweet posted:

I guess if I think back to my original watch of Hartnell-Troughton-Pertwee I was a bit bored and anxious for them to get off Earth. But the Master stuff is unparalleled, and when they do get out for stories like Carnival of Monsters it's great.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep pushing through, then. I've heard a lot about the Master but all I've seen of the character is a little of John Simm playing him opposite Tennant. Anyway, I guess being stuck on Earth's not much different as a premise than the hundreds of bases under siege that 2 happened upon.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
The things that really did it for me about the Pertwee/UNIT stories where the character interactions. It took me a while to appreciate them though, because I felt the same way about the Doctor being stuck on Earth at first. Also, my first Doctor was Tom Baker, which set a completely different set of expecations for the show, as Hartnell snd Troughton do if you're going through them in order.

If they're really not doing it for you, there's no shame in skipping ahead and coming back to them later. I neglected to watch all of Pertwee's run for years, until sometime after I'd watched all of the Avengers (the 60s British TV spy series, not the comic book characters). After it clicked for me, Pertwee became one of my favorite Doctors, and I love all the other characters: Delgado's Master, UNIT, Liz and Jo. They're all fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah it pays to remember that the Pertwee era was a pretty radical departure for the show, his first season in particular. It takes a little while to get used to but once (if) you do, things REALLY click and it becomes a blast watching this medallion man Venusian Akido-ing his way through an army of henchmen so he can get to his souped up car to chase down a corrupt civil servant working for a foreign Government that turns out to be aliens who are being aided by, gasp, THE MASTER! :aaa:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
By the way, happy Thanksgiving thread! May any Daleks you meet be unable to climb stairs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm thankful for a place I can talk about Doctor Who that isn't filled with insanely spergy freaks or screwed up fetishists (at least not openly!), so thank you all for that :)

I'm especially thankful for Peter Capaldi, who is one of those actors I never even considered for the role but who, the moment I heard his name suggested, made me go,"But that would be perfect casting.... :aaa:" and then we got it!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm thankful for a place I can talk about Doctor Who that isn't filled with insanely spergy freaks

Yeah, there's only one of me

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, there's only one of me

Adric?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There wasn't a lot of him to go around and I fear he may have spread himself thin. You have to question the boy's cardio because he really got blown up. His complexion looks a little ashen, perhaps because he really bombed as a character.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

There wasn't a lot of him to go around and I fear he may have spread himself thin. You have to question the boy's cardio because he really got blown up. His complexion looks a little ashen, perhaps because he really bombed as a character.

The math doesn't add up. I think this post will crash and burn.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

sunsweet posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep pushing through, then. I've heard a lot about the Master but all I've seen of the character is a little of John Simm playing him opposite Tennant. Anyway, I guess being stuck on Earth's not much different as a premise than the hundreds of bases under siege that 2 happened upon.

Treasure every moment with Brig, and Benton, and Yates. I watched Inferno the other day and the commentary was great; John Levene who plays Benton got a whole episode to comment on himself.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rat Trap just felt like a really crap version of Terry Pratchett's Amazing Maurice...

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I remember thinking this was setting up the cancellation of the show when it first aired and feeling very sad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's Black Friday, and guess what that means...

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-special-offer-on-the-entire-eighth-doctor-series

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oh no. I'm up to the 8th Doctor Adventures...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Whew, almost forgot to sign up for DWSS! I procrastinated til the last day due to internet being spotty recently, but don't worry Doctor Who thread, I'm in!

edit: am I the only one enjoying the hell out of the "doctor who script' thread in GBS? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682543&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 28, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Posting again because it's the last day to sign up!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s time for…
THE DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA!

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of Doctor Who goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze, and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1 )Right, I’m trying something new here. Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ZGb7uPIaEX

If you find you are having problems, email me at :siren: doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com :siren:
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 28TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments should go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

4) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

5) SHIPPING DEADLINES:
• International - Friday December 12th (This is the UK to US last shipping date, so I'd imagine the same is true vice versa)
• Within the same country - Wednesday December 17th

6) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies Santa brought you.

7) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 17th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

8) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

9) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

And for those who wanted the Round Things:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh my giddy aunt

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fungah! posted:

oh my giddy aunt

I managed to confine myself to just the second series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

And on the same day I was paid and everything.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't think Spare Parts could be better at what it sets out to do, apart from perhaps more directly dealing with the Adric stuff. And they really should just film the drat thing within the next couple of years, because SERIOUSLY.

But literally nothing can live up to the amount of hype that gets raised about Spare Parts.

You could say the same thing about Chimes, though. Chimes is very good and all, but an awful lot of people have said an awful lot of hyperbolic stuff about it over the years.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fungah! posted:

You could say the same thing about Chimes, though. Chimes is very good and all, but an awful lot of people have said an awful lot of hyperbolic stuff about it over the years.

yeah but Chimes is better.

... shut up, you're the worst :mad:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nothing lives up to hyperbole. Even hyperbole.

I will say that Chimes is my favorite of the three (or four, he did The Maltese Penguin too, right?) of Rob Shearman's audios I've heard, by a considerable margin (Jubilee I admire the hell out of, but I connect with the human touches of Chimes a bit better, and, aside from Frobisher, I didn't really care for The Holy Terror), and that Spare Parts is easily my favorite Cybermen story. (Not that it had a lot of competition! Though I like Tomb a lot.)

Don't ask me to choose between them. I'm one of those horrible people that, when you ask me for a favorite anything, you'll get ten answers. And if you ask me again a week later, you'll get ten different answers.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

For the first two Doctors, is that extant episodes, or including the missing ones?

• Locked thread