Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I finally remembered the other weird Carmack thing I was trying to find again. In April 2012 a writer named John Derbyshire got in a lot of poo poo and was fired from his job at a magazine for an article he wrote that was basically straight up Around Blacks Never Relax:

quote:

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible.

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.
Then like a month later John Carmack tweeted:

Well maybe Carmack just wasn't following the news and didn't realize he was recommending the writings of a literal white supremacist. I'm sure the book is much more level headed and-

aaand so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/203841167278870530

"@MoritzPGKatz @timfford Hooray internet -- extrapolate and infer from a non-hatred of Derbyshire that I "hate black people". I don't."

It's settled: John Carmack does NOT hate black people. Case closed!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brutal Doom is Doom as it should have been made in the first place

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Brutal Doom is Doom as it should have been made in the first place

What the ACTUAL gently caress?!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

regardless of a creators lovely opinions i think doom/brutal doom are fun things

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I like to send game developers, writers, filmmakers, and musicians a 100-point questionnaire regarding their philosophy and political positions. If they don't score higher than 95% I completely disavow their work because gently caress that poo poo am I right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I found a tweet from Mr. Carmack saying Brutal Doom was "brilliant, absolutely brilliant. this is what we were aiming for all along"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Romero retweeted it

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

I like to send game developers, writers, filmmakers, and musicians a 100-point questionnaire regarding their philosophy and political positions. If they don't score higher than 95% I completely disavow their work because gently caress that poo poo am I right?

Actually, if they aren't economically to the left of Stalin and have social stances that Judith Butler would say to are too far out I automatically refuse to play their games. It makes things so much easier.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I found a tweet from Mr. Carmack saying Brutal Doom was "brilliant, absolutely brilliant. this is what we were aiming for all along"

Did he post this before or after examining the source code? This is very important.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did he post this before or after examining the source code? This is very important.

He said the code comments were apt and suitably explained what the author was going for. Working with source code is a lot easier when you know the author's intent.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

closeted republican posted:

Actually, if they aren't economically to the left of Stalin and have social stances that Judith Butler would say to are too far out I automatically refuse to play their games. It makes things so much easier.

no seriously who are you talking to?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

He said the code comments were apt and suitably explained what the author was going for. Working with source code is a lot easier when you know the author's intent.

Oh. My. God. Carmack you loving monster!!!! How could you make these great games that were actually racist libertarian propaganda? :cry::cry::gonk::gonk::supaburn::supaburn:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I really enjoy videogames and other media regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the lifestyle and opinions of the product's creators.

Such as how I will forever enjoy Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage yet everything else made by Binary Illusions/Gee Whiz/Krome Studios was utter, utter garbage.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

I really enjoy videogames and other media regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the lifestyle and opinions of the product's creators.

Such as how I will forever enjoy Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage yet everything else made by Binary Illusions/Gee Whiz/Krome Studios was utter, utter garbage.

Seriously, I agree with this. I don't give a poo poo if some dude that made my favorite game is a part of a certain political "tribe" I like or dislike. In fact, I'd argue that Carmack's libertarian views are what enabled modding to exist in the first place. Carmack is big into making things open for people mess with, which is pretty drat libertarian. In fact, Kevin Cloud originally wanted to shut down Wolf3D modding for legal reasons back when it was first growing, but Carmack said "no".

I guaran-drat-tee you that you wouldn't have ever seen iDTech source code releases if Carmack wasn't such a big libertarian.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flectarn posted:

no seriously who are you talking to?
Seconded. I seem to see you yelling at strawmen all the time in threads, closeted republican.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well anyway here's Doom6464Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIZoTyTygc

I kinda like those MIDI instruments.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Help I'm confused about the happenings of this thread?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
We discovered that everyone involved with Doom is human garbage or something and Doom itself should be throw into a volcano.

All hail our new savior Unreal.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well anyway here's Doom6464Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIZoTyTygc

I kinda like those MIDI instruments.

It's a damned impressive port, but I'm not really sure I agree with the instrument sentiment. They're not all bad, but the distortion guitar sounds like the farty cheese machine they had in the SNES port.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Cerepol posted:

Help I'm confused about the happenings of this thread?

John Carmack is awesome, and so is Romero.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

We discovered that everyone involved with Doom is human garbage or something and Doom itself should be throw into a volcano.

Tim Sweeney bought thousands of miles of North Carolina wilderness and registered it as a permanent nature reserve simply because he likes hiking a lot. That almost makes up for UnrealEd 1 being written in Visual BASIC. Almost.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dude Huge wishes he was as suave as Sweeney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRGUKMKadJ8

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elliotw2 posted:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
All of iD's games and the Unreal series are tainted by politics. The only classic FPS that can be considered pure now...is Operation Bodycount. :unsmigghh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Carmack killed my rabbit, that's how he got the sprites for it in Doom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

All of iD's games and the Unreal series are tainted by politics. The only classic FPS that can be considered pure now...is Operation Bodycount. :unsmigghh:
Let's not go completely crazy here - nobody's sicced any bees on their staff yet.

That we know of.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The Kins posted:

Tim Sweeney bought thousands of miles of North Carolina wilderness and registered it as a permanent nature reserve simply because he likes hiking a lot. That almost makes up for UnrealEd 1 being written in Visual BASIC. Almost.

Has he apologized for Super ZZT's hidden, buggy editor yet?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

Has he apologized for Super ZZT's hidden, buggy editor yet?

What about Unreal Editor 1 being a piece of poo poo coded in Visual Basic, UE1 originally using loving Glide as it's main graphics API, and UE2's poo poo memory management system? I think Mr. Sweeney has a lot to answer for. In fact, I'm going to write up a call-out post and make a clever hashtag about it so that everyone can know of his crimes against programming and shame him.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

You're a monster and this suggestion should be considered a crime against humanity.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
super noahs ark 3D, that's all we can play now

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

You're a monster and this suggestion should be considered a crime against humanity.

You're going to make and play Operation Bodycount maps and you're going to drat well like it. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

You're going to make and play Operation Bodycount maps and you're going to drat well like it. :colbert:
god drat it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't OBC full of terrible stereotypical Arab terrorists?

The only thing I clearly remember about that game is the guy who shouts "YOU LOSE!" when you die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mod sassinator posted:

super noahs ark 3D, that's all we can play now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

That's great and all but if you can't quote something then it may as well be bullshit.

Also play games, not armchair politics.

After the thousandth or so white Cis man says something stupid, you begin to tune the actual words out. I don't have a quote but I'm fine with what I said. He made good games but he's personally rotten. Nothing unusual about that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Do you even remember reading Carmack saying that he hates women, or did you just read someone saying that Carmack said that? Because I'm really getting the feeling that the claim you're making is based on second-hand information at best, and the evidence you can provide essentially sums up to be "well he's a cishet white guy soooo"

I'm not saying you can't hate Carmack because he rolled pretty well at character creation, I'm just saying that if you're going to make a claim like "Carmack hates women" I'm going to want to see some proof of this, especially considering Carmack's poor empathy skills possibly making people conflate his curtness with disrespect.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
There's a certain thing that should be said about those who work in industries where creativity is the major driving factor. Most of the time, these people don't ever bring up their political, religious, or otherwise debatable views in the works they create. They rarely want to do anything other than create to amuse and showcase. Doug Tennapel gets a ton of poo poo for his beliefs, but they literally have never shown up in any of his work, and he's done nothing to inspire ill feelings towards his actual work if you can see the two things as seperate. You can hate The artist without hating the art, and sometimes vice versa.

note: writers kinda don't count in this usually. writing gets extremely personal, especially for books.

Arivia posted:

After the thousandth or so white Cis man says something stupid, you begin to tune the actual words out. I don't have a quote but I'm fine with what I said. He made good games but he's personally rotten. Nothing unusual about that.

You're literally saying things with the intention of starting poo poo without any real evidence to back it up besides some stuff he may have said or done a good while ago. You're assuming anyone gives a poo poo, yet nobody cares about it or the tumblr-itis mental disease.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't really know what all of this have to do with videogames. I don't care about some developer's opinions about sports, politics or whatever. I think CliffyB is stupid because he always blamed piracy to excuse his errors but I'm not going to stop playing epic games for that.