Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Kitfox88 posted:

Godsdamned kids. :arghfist::corsair:

I can't imagine why people living in Scary Troll Sea are unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Benly posted:

I can't imagine why people living in Scary Troll Sea are unhappy.

If you think that place is the wrong side of town whoo boy, don't head over to Scary Tunnels of the Lost. Nothing but batboys that swarm you in there.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Random question: Can immobile commanders(like Irminsul, Sphinx, big rock thing, statue pretenders etc.) Break Siege? As in, attack the army besieging the fort they are in?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

M_Bison posted:

Any pointers for EA Pan? My go-to battle spells will be Howl, Swarm, Foul Vapors most likely.

Put a pan or two into blood hunting, then once you get some construction research build a ton of black hearts, it'll make your dryads much more effective assassins. Seduce blows.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Or give the dryads some N gems and have them set up to spam the gently caress out of Swarm, failed seduction attempts will lead to dying in a wave of spiders and bees.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GenericOverusedName posted:

Or give the dryads some N gems and have them set up to spam the gently caress out of Swarm, failed seduction attempts will lead to dying in a wave of spiders and bees.

except that now failed seduction attempt half the time means "the dryad just hangs out"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

except that now failed seduction attempt half the time means "the dryad just hangs out"
Still 99% better than most commanders get.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

jsoh posted:

It depends on the morale of the unit you're trying to seduce, since the do-nothing event only happens on a seduction failure by 1 or 2.

I would probably not use 400g blood hunters for the purpose of turning my dryads into assassins until like way late into the game. Luring some poor sap into sieging one of your castles and then wiping half his commanders with swarm seductions still works really drat well, and there are all kinds of interactions you can abuse depending on your opponents, like morale 30+ commanders pretty much always triggering an assassination.

edit: Also I don't even wanna imagine having to deal with seduction + dark skies

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 26, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's more of a thing that you generally do from inside a fort if someone dares siege you. They can't patrol you out and 1-2 casts of swarm will kill most commanders.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Werewhale posted:

Random question: Can immobile commanders(like Irminsul, Sphinx, big rock thing, statue pretenders etc.) Break Siege? As in, attack the army besieging the fort they are in?

Nope. Despite being able to patrol they can't break sieges. You can teleport them to provinces though to attack! :eng101:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TheresNoThyme posted:

It depends on the morale of the unit you're trying to seduce, since the do-nothing event only happens on a seduction failure by 1 or 2.

I would probably not use 400g blood hunters for the purpose of turning my dryads into assassins until like way late into the game. Luring some poor sap into sieging one of your castles and then wiping half his commanders with swarm seductions still works really drat well, and there are all kinds of interactions you can abuse depending on your opponents, like morale 30+ commanders pretty much always triggering an assassination.

edit: Also I don't even wanna imagine having to deal with seduction + dark skies

To be fair, I first came up with that strat for MA Pangaea, which has much better blood.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheresNoThyme posted:

I would probably not use 400g blood hunters for the purpose of turning my dryads into assassins until like way late into the game.
At that point honestly why not use the much better Centaur mage-priests?

Almost certainly will not run from a stray hit, same useful magic, cheaper.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Coolest thing I did with Dryads was seduce indy mages. The best was a vampire count from the event where he attacks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Are there any units with seduce that could be used as bodyguards?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Demiurge4 posted:

Are there any units with seduce that could be used as bodyguards?

seduce is a commander only thing

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

We need a spell that's like a reverse GoR so you can turn commanders into troops, obviously. :downs:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

We need a spell that's like a reverse GoR so you can turn commanders into troops, obviously. :downs:

Enslave Mind and Master Enslave do that

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Oh I thought they just gave you control of the commander.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Nope, they make them into units. Seduction, Charm, and Hellbind Heart keeps their commanderyness, however.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
So far my favorite faction is MA R'leyh, but I am reading conflicting things about the void gate - is it affected by luck and magic scales? Is it worth it to max out scales or bless and hope for lucky pulls from the gate?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Urban Sorcerer posted:

So far my favorite faction is MA R'leyh, but I am reading conflicting things about the void gate - is it affected by luck and magic scales? Is it worth it to max out scales or bless and hope for lucky pulls from the gate?

No.

Magic scales are worth it though just for the research bonus: Rlyeh wants to get lots of magic research done asap.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
MA R'lyeh is fun but their mages are kinda bad on land.
More likely you'll just fortify the oceans like a fat guy occupies the hot tub and occasionally throw a mind hunt or vengeance of the dead at the dumb landdwellers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

amuayse posted:

MA R'lyeh is fun but their mages are kinda bad on land.
More likely you'll just fortify the oceans like a fat guy occupies the hot tub and occasionally throw a mind hunt or vengeance of the dead at the dumb landdwellers.

This is the best part about water nations tbh.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

This is the best part about water nations tbh.

Don't forget dompushing Vengeful Waters ashore, or wishing for Armageddon every turn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

water nations pretty much exemplify the mindset of 'well i can't do poo poo to win the game but i swear to god everything on land is going to get hosed up if i have anything to do with it'. wish engines are especially fun for just cranking out reality-bending poo poo as often as possible.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

People from another forum I use just finished a game and Oceania won. It can happen! :eng101:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

People from another forum I use just finished a game and Oceania won. It can happen! :eng101:
lol was everyone else on crack

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Isn't Oceania like amphibious and have the equivalent to white centaurs

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

They have less defense, slower movement = less lance damage, and absolutely absurd encumbrance. Not to mention costing 20% more and lacking a good amphibious priest.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Yeah but only kinda, also their land forts are garbage.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well I just think of it as being the best at the Special Olympics.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Don't forget dompushing Vengeful Waters ashore

Don't Ocean nations really suck at dompushing due to how water provinces tend to work?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Don't over think how Oceania won. I think most Dominions games are half won through diplomacy and just sheer luck (initial position, throne locations, neighbour that chose to focus attacking another neighbour instead of you), and only half won through your quality as nation.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Don't Ocean nations really suck at dompushing due to how water provinces tend to work?
Erm kinda. Obviously none of them can blood sac, which is a big thing, and they typically have so many fuckin borders by land that it's hard to get critical mass of candles elsewhere anyway, which was maybe what you meant.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Erm kinda. Obviously none of them can blood sac, which is a big thing, and they typically have so many fuckin borders by land that it's hard to get critical mass of candles elsewhere anyway, which was maybe what you meant.

On the other hand, if you take a gimmicky map without any land, all this is irrelevant and underwater-nations can stand on their own. Just too bad for the land-water interaction in normal maps.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Apart from not really, at least in MA, because water doesn't have enough resources in it to truly mass anything but 2/3r troops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Apart from not really, at least in MA, because water doesn't have enough resources in it to truly mass anything but 2/3r troops.

My point was, when there is only water (so no land-nations), then the underwater nations reign supreme. Was my joke too subtle?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
No I understood, just, they aren't even fun just underwater :(

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Really one of the big humps is that UW provinces are generally just poo poo compared to land provinces. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Once found a (blood) Slave Market underwater.

Not quite sure how that works.

• Locked thread