Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercury Hat posted:

It's got thumbs too.

You've gone too far, science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mercury Hat posted:

It's got thumbs too.

You've gone too far, science!

How big of an attraction can thumbs be? Surely the danger outweighs the decision to include.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Say what you will about CGI, but that dino lego looks a lot better than the legos for all the old Godzilla movies.

You could always tell it was just some lego guy in a crummy lego costume.

Is it not meant to be a lego guy in a costume?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Seems pretty perfect to me. It's not like there are really even dinosaurs in jurassic park anyway. Its all mutant hybrids, created from Frankenstein genetics to live up to a perception, and even described frequently as Hammond's sideshow monsters. That is also why the feather question has always been irrelevant--whether real dinosaurs had feathers or not, the JP "dinosaurs" wouldn't as long as public perception dictates that they do not. If marketing trends change, then suddenly that becomes part of building a better dino for Ingen.

Realistic size, diet, behavior.... none of that poo poo mattered to begin with because it was only an illusion anyway (the degree of illusions and their frailty another theme the first movie hammered home). It's not real and never was... it's about verisimilitude. Creating genetically hybrid super not-dinos is pretty clearly the next logical thematic step of a functioning park. Those themes are taken to their extreme. It strips away the thin pretense of history as the public stops caring over time and their idea of verisimilitude changes. We get down to the dirty, raw "what people want" ridiculously dangerous freak monster to warn them about being careful what you wish for.

I didn't think the trailer was that amazing (mostly due to the editing), but everything we know about the story sure sounds great. Honestly it looks like a real sequel that actually builds upon the ideas of Speilberg's Jurassic Park (in contrast to rehashing or ignoring for action like some people here fear). The idea is just drat perfect. Of course they're back and making freak monsters without pretense cause its the only way people care. The evolution of entertainment here is the most natural thing about JP. This is the discovery channel transitioning from shows about the glacial migration of dinosaurs to shows about gladiator matches between dinosaurs and the aliens who breed them on earth.

The book goes into this more than the movie did. They had given the dinosaurs version numbers like software (raptor 2.1 and so on) and were considering engineering tamer dinosaurs that would be easier to handle, as well as slow, stupid ones the public expected.

I really hope the new movie touches on how they are ALL genetically engineered Frankenstein monsters and not just the D-Rex. That way you can easily get away with featherless raptors that are twice their normal size and so on.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If they really wanted to create a monster they'd create a t rex with like super duper Stretch Armstrong arms.

OR CRAB CLAWS

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LordOfThePants posted:

Apparently the new dinosaur called the D-Rex may have been spoiled by some Lego sets:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/jurassic-world-dinosaur-hybrid-d-rex-revealed-lego-set-points-new-dinosaurs-and-395448

Some speculation on the velociraptors there too.
It also has been leaked from some French site

http://i.imgur.com/9usfTRS.jpg

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Friend sent me this recut version of the trailer. I like it maybe 200x more.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It doesn't look like there's wings on the new dino like some were speculating

This trailer takes out the best part (Chris Pratt & the Raptor Squad) 0/10

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Meh, I would have cut the 'flea circus' speech up a bit, remove the "can't you see the fleas" part in the middle because the action doesn't match up with the tone of what he's saying. Really cool idea though.

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't look like there's wings on the new dino like some were speculating

I heard that it doesn't fly or climb out of its cage, but merely puts scratches that high and hides to lure Chris Pratt into the enclosure to look for it so it can eat him.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 27, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

achillesforever6 posted:

It also has been leaked from some French site

http://i.imgur.com/9usfTRS.jpg

If that's how it actually looks, that doesn't seem to be too XTREME DINOROAR or anything, so that's cool.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

echoplex posted:

If that's how it actually looks, that doesn't seem to be too XTREME DINOROAR or anything, so that's cool.
It looks like a Carnotaurus without the stubby little arms that made T-Rex arm's look long

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
That neck definitely looks long enough for a T-Rex to chomp on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The original was on TV this morning and I watched some of it for the first time in a long while. drat does that thing hold up well. The only things that really date it are stuff like the phones and the computers. Certainly not the effects. Some of that poo poo still looks better than stuff you see today.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Everyone always shakes their fist at the Unix GUI scene, but how genuine is Sam Jackson's typing "access main security" into a command line

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

And then someone pipes up to point out that the Unix GUI in the movie is an actual thing.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
The leaked D-Rex concept is a fake:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :catstare:

I love how he seems to shake off the fact that the raptors he play hunted with ate Samuel L. Jackson and probably a bunch of other people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bizarro Watt posted:

The leaked D-Rex concept is a fake:

Aww drat it now its probably going to look dumb :smith:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

How big of an attraction can thumbs be? Surely the danger outweighs the decision to include.

This way they can teach it to paint, like those elephants and gorillas.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Realistic dinosaurs are good and interesting, I feel.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Realistic dinosaurs are good and interesting, I feel.

That's my general feeling. There comes a point where you alter the original inspiration so much that it stops being a dinosaur and becomes a fantasy monster, and 8 year old me wants to see dinosaurs, not another Godzilla. The velociraptors aren't a stretch because they're basically deinonychus, scale-wise, 'raptor' just sounds cooler. That mosasaur is twice as big as any actual mosasaur, which is a bummer, because mosasaurs were loving badass as they were - 60 ft aquatic komodo dragons. Maybe it just bugs me because I'm a huge nerd and what I really want to see is a marine version of Jurassic Park.

That said this trailer looks more fun than anything in TLW or JP3.

Red Pyramid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want a Godzilla 2000 type of dinosaur. Like, let's give it giant wings and make it a sort of dragon too. gently caress it. That's what dragons are anyway. Dinosaurs with wings. Someone probably found some bones or imprint of a T Rex interwined with a Pterodactyl and went "HOLY! I CAME UP WITH DRAGONS!" then we got the myth.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

PriorMarcus posted:

Be fair. Diablosaurus Rex is blue and white with glowing red eyes and also goes invisible.

Wait, what? It can go invisible?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

vainman posted:

Wait, what? It can go invisible?

Invisible like a chameleon most likely, not invisible like the predator

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Macaluso posted:

This is an ability that makes no sense for a tourist attraction.

Also, it's bigger than a T-Rex, how can it possibly have decent camouflage?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Can it be a man dinosaur hybrid....what about a team of them....that also have wings and breath fire?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It goes invisible except for its bones. That way it can hunt in plain sight in museums duh. Simple evolution. Honestly it's like you guys don't know the first thing about palilyonyontolgy.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

PriorMarcus posted:

Pretty sure it was made for other non tourism purposes as a proto-type

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I guess you'll have to wait for the movie to find out! :cool:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Could be pretty great when you think you are in a jungle all alone until boom T-Rex size carnivore out of nowhere!!!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Lol

"Actually if they wanted the best ROI on dinosaurs they should only produce stegosaurs because the protein feed/weight ratio exceeds..."

You think a giant chameleon dino would make kids turn up their noses?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Emperor's New Clothesosauros

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Electromax posted:

Lol

"Actually if they wanted the best ROI on dinosaurs they should only produce stegosaurs because the protein feed/weight ratio exceeds..."

Ummmm no, that's totally unrealistic. Furthermore let me tell you about my Jurassic Park sequel idea that takes place completely inside a science lab and no one is eaten by dinosaurs

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Electromax posted:

Lol

Yeah... and opposable thumbs? pfffff no thank you Jurassic World. I'll stick to Universal studios thank you very much.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

LADY: Hands perfectly moulded for high-fives, makes Rick Flair woos, skateboard feet...
CHRIS PRATT: My god
LADY: Extensive pop culture knowledge, sick racing stripe, unicorn horn...
CHRIS PRATT: We'll be rich
LADY: Totally invisible, only knows murder...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Website is up
http://www.jurassicworld.com/

God I love viral marketing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A chameleon dinosaur would be cool. Imagine it's lying in some bushes in its enclosure, and there is a bit of a callback to the first movie and the way most of the animals couldn't be seen on the tour. Then it's feeding time and leaps forward, seemingly out of nowhere, ccausing adults in the viewing area to jump back while the kids just stand there in open mouthed wonder.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

A chameleon dinosaur would be cool. Imagine it's lying in some bushes in its enclosure, and there is a bit of a callback to the first movie and the way most of the animals couldn't be seen on the tour. Then it's feeding time and leaps forward, seemingly out of nowhere, ccausing adults in the viewing area to jump back while the kids just stand there in open mouthed wonder.

No you don't understand. Kids just wouldn't be interested in a massive dinosaur that can camouflage itself. A huge monster with cool special abilities which allow it to hunt and kill its prey in spectacular fashion makes absolutely no sense from a tourism perspective!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Macaluso posted:

gently caress it I hope it is a predator dinosaur. Created to take trophies of other dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It goes invisible except for its bones. That way it can hunt in plain sight in museums duh. Simple evolution. Honestly it's like you guys don't know the first thing about palilyonyontolgy.

It would own so hard if there's a dead Dino museum in the park for educational purposes and the D-rex chameleon camouflages to match a t-rex skeleton and then eats the gently caress out of someone. I don't think that's possible, but whatever it's a movie just make it so.

• Locked thread