Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Lord Twisted posted:

Rules quibble Re: hit and run

Cypher has hit and run. If you stick him in a unit of cultists, when you want to disengage do you use majority initiative or his to take the test?

pg 13, under characteristic tests - "when a single test is required for the whole unit, use the highest relevant characteristic in the unit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Direwolf posted:

pg 13, under characteristic tests - "when a single test is required for the whole unit, use the highest relevant characteristic in the unit"

Which is why Celestine in a 50man guardsmen blob is pretty good.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Quick question. Are the contemptor rules and points values in The first horus heresy FW book the same as those in the 40k books. I have the first HH book and the fall of orpheous and have won a contemptor on ebay. I would love to use it with my BA dreadmob though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JackMack posted:

Quick question. Are the contemptor rules and points values in The first horus heresy FW book the same as those in the 40k books. I have the first HH book and the fall of orpheous and have won a contemptor on ebay. I would love to use it with my BA dreadmob though.

Pretty much the same. There's only three differences between the HH one and Imperial Armour Volume II 2nd edition: the IA one doesn't have the Dreadnought Talon formation, it has storm bolters rather than twin-linked bolters on its close-combat weapons, and it can take a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod. Points costs, rules, and weapon choices are the same. It's an Elite choice for Space Marines and Dark Angels, so technically it can't be used with BA, but if you roll with a cool crowd I don't think they'd say no if you asked.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Forge World are trying to flog off their remaining stock of IA5, so it looks like a 2nd edition is coming out soon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
no one gives a poo poo about renegades and heretics. give me horus heresy ultramarines

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did they ever announce removing the earlier books from sale when they received 2nd editions? I don't recall that they did, so I'd not be so sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Forge World are trying to flog off their remaining stock of IA5, so it looks like a 2nd edition is coming out soon.

Oh neat. IA5 is one of the few books I've got aside from seven and still something I occasionally flip through to read.
Reminds me I still need to get volume 6 someday. Maybe when the second edition comes or whenever I get lucky with Ebay.

Also I hate that I have a huge backlog of stuff to paint but no motivation what so ever to actually get to painting them. :sigh: Got the stuff for an inquisitor just lying on the worktable but no real ideas or urge to work on him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The best thing for that sort of lack of motivation is to just start. I find starting to paint/model is often the hardest step, after that it tends to just flow. Say to yourself that today at x o'clock you're going to start hobbying for half an hour, maybe set an alarm to remind you, then just go to it.

Whether it's dry-fitting your Inquisitor or opening something from your backlog.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hamshot posted:

Did they ever announce removing the earlier books from sale when they received 2nd editions? I don't recall that they did, so I'd not be so sure.

The header of the email is 'Last chance to buy Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks Part One', it's only £15 and is says 'This product has limited stock remaining. Imperial Armour Volume Five – the Siege of Vraks Part One will be removed from sale on Monday 1st December or sooner.'

so I'd guess they're running it down as quick as they can.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The best thing for that sort of lack of motivation is to just start. I find starting to paint/model is often the hardest step, after that it tends to just flow. Say to yourself that today at x o'clock you're going to start hobbying for half an hour, maybe set an alarm to remind you, then just go to it.

Whether it's dry-fitting your Inquisitor or opening something from your backlog.
I agree - what Ghost Hand did before his trip to the UK recently is pretty good: do an hour a day, no matter what, and you'll get finished. It might not be to tip-top quality, but your stuff will be built/painted.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Pretty much the same. There's only three differences between the HH one and Imperial Armour Volume II 2nd edition: the IA one doesn't have the Dreadnought Talon formation, it has storm bolters rather than twin-linked bolters on its close-combat weapons, and it can take a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod. Points costs, rules, and weapon choices are the same. It's an Elite choice for Space Marines and Dark Angels, so technically it can't be used with BA, but if you roll with a cool crowd I don't think they'd say no if you asked.

Awesome. Thanks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I agree - what Ghost Hand did before his trip to the UK recently is pretty good: do an hour a day, no matter what, and you'll get finished. It might not be to tip-top quality, but your stuff will be built/painted.

That's what I kinda did with the Kriegers, tried to work at least a little on them every other day but with the stuff I've got left I still don't have any real urge to complete it because I've given up on playing so there's no real compulsion for me to build an army anymore and just paint because I enjoy it.
A mindset which kinda doesn't really work as my backlog is pretty much just a bunch of guardsmen of various types. Might unbox the Chimera I've got and get cracking on that as I'm coming up blank as how to paint the Inquisitor in an interesting way.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hamshot posted:

They are just clearing inventory- update is prob Q2 2015.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

JackMack posted:

Actually, the Horus Heresy ones are BS5, whereas the 40K era ones are only BS4. There are also some other small differences already noted (Storm Bolter vs. Combi-Bolter, etc) as well as the expected upgrade option changes.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Please buy my chaos space marines! I have a wedding to fund!

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

Not a viking posted:

Please buy my chaos space marines! I have a wedding to fund!

Boy, do I wish you parted that out. I run mono-Slannesh and I really want those rhinos and that defiler but I have most of my troops. Excellent work and good luck.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Warstore has 25% off for Black Friday so I got 25 Tempestus Scions and 3 Tauroxes, getting a start on my Valhallan Stormtrooper army. That formation is really neat though; it's four Taurox Primes, 3 squads of Stormtroopers, one command squad, and a Commissar, and every time a unit disembarks from a vehicle they get pinning and twin linked shooting. It's written as "any turn a unit disembarks" which is pretty kickass, since their vehicles will undoubtedly be exploding and a forced disembarkation is still disembarking :v:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Conquest has traitor Space Wolves :stare:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Mango Polo posted:

Conquest has traitor Space Wolves :stare:

"I KNEW IT!" -The Inquisition

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Skyrar's Dark Wolves has been around since at least late 4th/early 5th edition codex, the one that was really, really bare-bones.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I remember the old Chaos codex in 3.5 had a Space Wolf with the aquila on his chest crossed out and damaged. Traitor Space Wolves aren't exactly new, but they're not super prevalent either. Regardless, that's neat artwork.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
All I remember is that the Dark Wolves were pretty much described as "they miiiiiiight be traitor Space Wolves, or they miiiiiiight not tee hee" so it's nice that FW plops down some sweet artwork of that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is that Conquest or is that IA13? I know 13 has Dark Wolves in it (a small blurb).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's IA 13 AFAIK

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also, I think a while back Flyers pretty much auto-hit the side armour of ground vehicles. Am I correct in reading that flyers now treat the armour facing on ground vehicles normally?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Actually, the Horus Heresy ones are BS5, whereas the 40K era ones are only BS4. There are also some other small differences already noted (Storm Bolter vs. Combi-Bolter, etc) as well as the expected upgrade option changes.

Cheers for this.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Reading through my little red book, look like 30K fliers can choose to either arrive via reserves or via deepstrike (with some caveats on how they do it). Fire raptor in the middle of the table? Yes sir.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Reading through my little red book, look like 30K fliers can choose to either arrive via reserves or via deepstrike (with some caveats on how they do it). Fire raptor in the middle of the table? Yes sir.
Wouldn't it enter in hover though? Sounds a bit risky.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can enter in hover OR as a zooming flier. If you enter using hover you don't mishap and can fire your weapons/flat out. If you enter as a zooming flier you count as having moved 18", cannot move, flat out, and will misshap if you deviate onto terrain even though its a flier.

This would be amazing news for the dreadclaw, alas it must enter the game in hover mode :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hencoe posted:

Wouldn't it enter in hover though? Sounds a bit risky.

As far as I can tell it's

BULBASAUR posted:

You can enter in hover OR as a zooming flier. If you enter using hover you don't mishap and can fire your weapons/flat out. If you enter as a zooming flier you count as having moved 18", cannot move, flat out, and will misshap if you deviate onto terrain even though its a flier.

This would be amazing news for the dreadclaw, alas it must enter the game in hover mode :(

Yeah, interestingly enough the rules for Deep Striking say this, which means it's entirely possible to have your flier destroyed/ put anywhere else on the board due to intervening terrain/models, even if they don't have any effect on Zooming flyers in any other regard. This seems to be a problem for the FW aircraft, such as the Thunderbolt, as my Marauder doesn't have the Deep Strike rule.

Also I definitely can't find anything referencing flyers only hitting side armour so I'm assuming flyers hit armour facing as normal, which is okay by me.

e: Mind you, if you are facing a flyer on the table then the best thing would be to drop right behind it to shoot it down, being able to deep-strike in is an amazing rule for a fighter.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
When it says you can't snap shoot template weapons it means stuff like large and small blast as well right, not just flamer/torrent stuff?

EDIT: Never mind, found the entry and blast can't snap shot either.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 28, 2014

ender42
Jun 14, 2005
Naga, naga, na gonna work here anymore
I've acquired a small collection of older units that I'm trying to clean up and identify for my son for Christmas. I was hoping my fellow goons might help me out, as I didn't ever get into Warhammer earlier.

Do you guys know if there are any good sites that I can reference what exact units these are by possibly looking at pictures of the old kits (like from 1992)? From a couple of hours research so far, they are pretty much all imperial guard - with some Ogrin, Ratling Snipers, Catachan Jungle Warriors along with a few tanks. There are a bunch of units wearing beret's - which could possibly be an old version of Storm Troopers?

Would the current Astra Militarium codex still reference these old units? In some cases I know what they are (like the Ratlings), but I'm not clear on how many of them make up a "squad".

Any help you guys can point me to would be awesome.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The go to site is:

http://www.solegends.com

And it sounds like the original storm troopers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ender42 posted:

I've acquired a small collection of older units that I'm trying to clean up and identify for my son for Christmas. I was hoping my fellow goons might help me out, as I didn't ever get into Warhammer earlier.

Do you guys know if there are any good sites that I can reference what exact units these are by possibly looking at pictures of the old kits (like from 1992)? From a couple of hours research so far, they are pretty much all imperial guard - with some Ogrin, Ratling Snipers, Catachan Jungle Warriors along with a few tanks. There are a bunch of units wearing beret's - which could possibly be an old version of Storm Troopers?

Would the current Astra Militarium codex still reference these old units? In some cases I know what they are (like the Ratlings), but I'm not clear on how many of them make up a "squad".

Any help you guys can point me to would be awesome.

Stormtroopers (the guys with berets) are now called Tempestus Scions, but Ogryn and Ratlings are still the same. Aside from the aforementioned Stuff of Legends, if you post some pictures the goons here will gladly identify whatever you've got. I'm an old warham buff so I can identify stuff pretty readily. The only things that might change for the current codex is point values and stuff. Back in 2nd ed (the 90s basically) games had roughly half to a third as many models generally. These days a 1500 point Guard or Ork list can easily have 100 infantry models on the table plus armor and so on.

Generally 5 dudes is the minimum for a squad in that codex; Ogryns are only 3 minimum but can go to 10.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Is the Knight Magaera from FW any good?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It's more survivable than the "standard" Knights thanks to the Flare Shield, but its firepower output tends to be a bit lower. (The Lightning Cannon is basically a Battle Cannon with only one shot instead of two, though having Plasma as its secondary weapon rather than Stubbers makes up for a little bit.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I know 13 has Dark Wolves in it (a small blurb).

Where is this located? Our Space Wolves player would love to know.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Divesting myself of some small collection of warmahorde models landed me two sisters of battle squads, one squad of the unarmoured eviscerator chainsword models, a standard bearer, a canoness and two of their special razorbacks with the turret tops.

I'm also going to get a new in box razorback, chimera and landraider.

Is there a decent tactics for a small sisters/inquisition force that would be more for fun than competitiveness?

I was thinking of canoness HQ, 2squads of power armour sisters, two razorbacks (possibly with combat squaded sisters in them, not sure on transport capacity), along with allied Xenos inquisitor with conversion Beamer with 2 jokaero, a psyker, 2 crusader(? Power sword, storm shield retinue guys), a retinue with hb servitors and a psyker and a priest. Finally a malleus inquisitor with death cult assassins and crusaders in a chimera.

Mental math puts that about 1250 points and it seems like it might be fun against a friend's demon army.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

koreban posted:

Divesting myself of some small collection of warmahorde models landed me two sisters of battle squads, one squad of the unarmoured eviscerator chainsword models, a standard bearer, a canoness and two of their special razorbacks with the turret tops.

I'm also going to get a new in box razorback, chimera and landraider.

Is there a decent tactics for a small sisters/inquisition force that would be more for fun than competitiveness?

I was thinking of canoness HQ, 2squads of power armour sisters, two razorbacks (possibly with combat squaded sisters in them, not sure on transport capacity), along with allied Xenos inquisitor with conversion Beamer with 2 jokaero, a psyker, 2 crusader(? Power sword, storm shield retinue guys), a retinue with hb servitors and a psyker and a priest. Finally a malleus inquisitor with death cult assassins and crusaders in a chimera.

Mental math puts that about 1250 points and it seems like it might be fun against a friend's demon army.

Sure, any sisters army is going to struggle being competitive but maybe look at throwing in a knight as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am really hoping I can headshot at least one Knight with my Thunderbolts, if only for the cool factor.

• Locked thread