Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
so I am part of the non gently caress 2014 club. I quit the dealership, got a new job at a customs/light truck repair shop. Got a new puppy and my son is improving at school greatly. Three years ago one of the stupid evaluators said he would never dress him self or do anything independent. Que to now he makes his own breakfast gets dressed by himself and is a genius at math.( son has autism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it sucks, largely because he was the most chill / snuggly cat ever. He demanded to have someone or something cuddling him nearly 24/7, whether it was one of us, my daughter, or one of the other cats.

He was purring his head off when that was taken.

I'm not sure whether it's better or worse that we knew this could eventually be an issue. Sphynx cats are hellishly susceptible to HCM (I can't manage to spell the full name, basically an enlarged heart) and while his was definitely enlarged, it had been stable for at least six months. Unfortunately that still means he was at risk of a blood clot, and when that happens the best you can hope for is a lot of expensive and painful treatment for something on the order of a few weeks more time or less.

Carlin was right, you are buying a future tragedy. Still worth it. Gonna miss that ham. :unsmith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SouthsideSaint posted:

so I am part of the non gently caress 2014 club. I quit the dealership, got a new job at a customs/light truck repair shop. Got a new puppy and my son is improving at school greatly. Three years ago one of the stupid evaluators said he would never dress him self or do anything independent. Que to now he makes his own breakfast gets dressed by himself and is a genius at math.( son has autism)

Future goon.

You guys with autistic kids or just kids on the autistic spectrum amaze me. Serious hats off to you guys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
happy thanksgiving every 1!!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not sure whether it's better or worse that we knew this could eventually be an issue. Sphynx cats are hellishly susceptible to HCM (I can't manage to spell the full name, basically an enlarged heart) and while hs was definitely enlarged, it had been stable for at least six months. Unfortunately that still means he was at risk of a blood clot, and when that happens the best you can hope for is a lot of expensive and painful treatment for something on the order of a few weeks more time or less.
My vet just warned me about my own cat having a heart murmur that could be indicative of this problem, and told me that his own cat had just died from throwing a clot a few months earlier. I need to get her into an ultrasound.

I don't think there's too much I can do even if it does come back as troublesome. Like you said, the treatment seems brutal :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 27, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So let's see.

Girlfriend's father still hates me so going there was not going to happen. My mother and sister both got scheduled today so no family meal. I could have gone to my mom's boyfriend's thing but I only really like one of them so no go there.

Why hello Chinese Buffet that advertises TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY on the front door, I do believe I know where I'm eating tonight.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I know there are a few other goons out there in the medical industry (nice Epic snapchat btw Holdbrooks), the other day a project I'm on had a "hope you don't end up in the hospital with this diagnosis on Thanksgiving" celebration for the holiday. In the same vain, I hope none of you guys end up in the hospital with these very real things that have their own discrete diagnosis :):

Polyphagia (Overeating) - R63.2
Struck by football - W21.01
Struck by Turkey - W61.42
Pecked by Turkey - W71.43
Other Contact with Turkey - W61.49
Sucked into Jet Engine, subsequent encounter - V97.33XD
Activities involved Arts and handcrafts - Y93.D
Problems in relationship with in-laws - 7.Z63.1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I spent all last night stuffing my date......s. with peanut butter. Let's get weird.

Kinda tedious but SO drat GOOD

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mat_Drinks posted:

I know there are a few other goons out there in the medical industry (nice Epic snapchat btw Holdbrooks), the other day a project I'm on had a "hope you don't end up in the hospital with this diagnosis on Thanksgiving" celebration for the holiday. In the same vain, I hope none of you guys end up in the hospital with these very real things that have their own discrete diagnosis :):

Tell me about "other contact with turkey."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Happy TG everyone!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

kastein posted:

I spent all last night stuffing my date......s. with peanut butter. Let's get weird.

Was there any reason you glued them to the ceiling?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kastein posted:

Optical illusion in that pic.

Another pro move is stuffing with goat cheese and wrapping with bacon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the HCM itself gets bad enough they can try to treat it before some of the breathing symptoms become problematic, and that can be a viable option as long as they don't get a clot. He wasn't that far advanced, though, so we were just getting ultrasounds every 6-12 months to see where he was at.

It can definitely hit any cat though. We have one other Sphynx and we have been getting both of them ultrasounds, but not our two regular (and formerly stray) cats... one of whom basically dropped dead last year of heart failure with zero warning of any sort. So now we're left with our oldest cat and our youngest Sphynx.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Apparently my cellphone and imgur had a disagreement about whether the orientation value in the exif data mattered :v:

Mat_Drinks posted:

Z592: Discord with neighbors, lodgers and landlord

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Z.28 Bitchin' camaro syndrome ?

Also, my aunt has already been by looking for poo poo to criticize while looking like absolute dog poo poo due to actually being mostly sober this morning (I give it until 1-2pm). Oh yeah, its holiday time again. :haw:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Happy Thanksgiving fuckers! Have some lemurs I stole from the cute thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYfaxfTK-g

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Happy Thanksgiving to my AI family! :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Happy Illegal Immigration of Puritans Day!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Happy thanksgiving guys. I just got off duty, and had watch from 0230-0730, but I'm gonna throw on some QOTSA and do some yard work until the Cowboys game.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving. Spintires is $10 today http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Happy Thanksgiving/Festival of Devouring, friends!

IOC, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty :smith:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Happy Thanksgiving. Spintires is $10 today http://store.steampowered.com/app/263280/

How is Spin Tires?

IOC, I hope your day gets better. What an awful way to wake up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
the gear lever is the most frustrating thing in the loving universe.

I could only hope that actual russian vehicles have such a pain in the rear end gear lever.

Otherwise, its a fun game.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What do you do in the game? Do you just drive around Soviet trucks around the forest?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 205 days!)

Sorry about your kitty, IoC.

Also, I believe Carlins' quote was "Life is a series of dogs." I haven't heard the other one, and I think I've seen all of his standups to date.

The folks have forever warped my poor dog. As a joke, Ma bought a small childs' tutu- and put my dog in it. Now she wants to wear it all of the time. She's actually learned how to stomp on it and get it partially on her. Yeah, like I need any further assistance as 'weird SAAB guy'. :gonk:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Viggen posted:

Sorry about your kitty, IoC.

Also, I believe Carlins' quote was "Life is a series of dogs." I haven't heard the other one, and I think I've seen all of his standups to date.

Well, considering there's no new ones I'd hope it'd just be 'to date.'

Although zombie Carlin could be fun. He died while I was in boot camp. That was a lovely goddamn letter to get.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, considering there's no new ones I'd hope it'd just be 'to date.'

I dunno. Tupac has been dead 20 years and he keeps releasing poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Viggen posted:

I dunno. Tupac has been dead 20 years and he keeps releasing poo poo.

That a because in music you can have your name on poo poo if you sing/sang one line or wrote one riff.

And also because Tupac is alive.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Carlin is chillin' with Biggy this Thanksgiving, then. :colbert:
I was going for "I don't know of anything else released posthumously for Carlin since I last cared to check." with my initial statement, but didn't figure that I needed to clarify that for a subforum of dorks.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

What do you do in the game? Do you just drive around Soviet trucks around the forest?

The objective is to pick up a load of logs and drag them across a hellish mud-nightmare to a lumber mill. To accomplish this task you are given an array of vehicles ranging from useless to unstoppable colossus. The game has a map but it starts out almost completely blank, and you have to find uncloaking points to reveal areas, or try to find your way without the map if you're a masochist.

It has deformable dirt and mud physics, and trees and bushes which offer varying degrees of resistance to being knocked down. You will have to ford rivers and it is very easy to hydrolock and destroy your engine in the attempt. You have a winch which can be attached to any larger tree in range which you will use constantly when you get stuck. You also have the ability to toggle AWD and diff lockers on and off, both of which increase fuel consumption.

You can use specialized equipment on vehicles to repair or refuel other vehicles, and there are two garages on each map at which you can repair vehicles amd change their equipment. If you are not playing hardcore mode you can also recall to either garage if you get stuck.

You can play single player, and it takes a few hours to complete a map that way, but you can save. You can also play multiplayer which is more fun, and will allow you to complete a map more quickly, but you cannot save a multiplayer game. Also multiplayer kind of sucks when playing with pubbies.

If you like big russian trucks and getting stuck in the mud it's a fun game. If you do decide to play let me know as I'd love to find some goons to play with.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 27, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My mom has had a Roper that has lasted for drat near ages. She pulled the receipts the other day and found that she purchased it in 1990... so its now pushing 25 years old. And it works perfectly. Never had a single issue with it. The Roper dryer we picked up at an auction eons ago continues to work with no issues as well.

Ropers are pretty bare bones, but they just work and never have issues.

Roper is actually owned/made by Whirlpool - it's their bare-bones, no frills line of appliances. They're solid, just extremely basic.

The only issues you'll ever have will be the timers, belts, and maybe blower fan on the dryer if it's plastic (ours is, and the D-shaped hole in it eventually rounded out - it's run by the drum motor). Parts will be available for eons, since up until all the new water and energy efficiency standards became A Thing, washer and dryer design remained largely unchanged for decades.

Someone had a deeeeeeeeeep purse, and knew the blind spots at Target.

N is for Nipples posted:

So, I just got glasses for the first time ever.

Jesus loving Christ. It's a whole new world. Like someone turned the texture quality from Medium to Ultra.

General Wiggles posted:

:stare: How long do you think you've actually needed them for?

I think I got my first pair in my sophomore year of high school, so around 14 or 15. And I think I'd needed them awhile. I still don't wear them around the house much unless I'm watching TV in the living room (where there's a 14 year old 36" blurry CRT TV halfway across the house), but I absolutely wear them when I'm out and about. I can't read menu boards in fast food places without them unless I close my right eye, can barely make out the speedometer, and sure as hell can't make out street signs without them. Even with GPS help, I can barely read Google Maps with the phone mounted to the dash (about 4-5 ft from my face). My vision really isn't that bad, but the older I get, I find my vision is less able to focus to extremes. Even though my script hasn't changed much in the past 10 years, I used to be able to see street signs, lane markers, and such decently without glasses. I could also read tiny stuff up close a lot easier (i.e. reading the tiny print on a 50c knockoff phone charger). I can't do either anymore, with or without glasses. If I try to read something tiny up close, my eyes just cross now. But hey, approaching midlife and all that.

Generally, if you're going to need them after childhood, it's either going to happen during your teens, or well into mid-life.

Nipples, if you want cheap glasses, I have a PD ruler from zennioptical.com - if you have your script (your eye doctor will give it to you if you ask, but they usually refuse to give you your PD), you can get glasses dirt loving cheap. Same with optical4less.com (which is goon endorsed; they advertise in SA-Mart, but ship from Hong Kong), but you wind up paying a conversion fee on whatever card you use to pay for an order from them. Either way, they're drat good glasses that take a month to show up from China. I have under $150 into 4 pairs of glasses between the 2 companies - 1 pair is a pair of 80% grey tint sunglasses in Rayban knockoff frames. Also, did you wind up nearsighted or farsighted? I forget which is which, but I can see fine up close... well, used to. My monitor is about arms length from my face now and a little blurry out of my left eye, very blurry from my right. Anything beyond that is just a blur.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I burned out WD VelociRaptors once per month

HOW?! I have a set that are easily 10+ years old. One has a couple of bad sectors (that one's in the guest bedroom PC/cable box/DVR combo), the other is like new.

They're pretty noisy for HTPC duty; much louder than the fans in the PC. :smith: I honestly thought I heard the water heater boiling (it's in the attic above the guest room) one night when I had the TV on mute. Nope, just the Raptor trying to launch a 10,000 RPM Sawzall at the TV stand.

meatpimp posted:

Wanna buy a 42k mile '08 Dodge Ram with 5.7 Hemi, 5 speed auto, posi 3.92 with an 8' bed?

Wanna take over payments on a 105k 06 Saturn Ion that needs new front tires to pass inspection? :smith: (tags run out in a bit over a month) I'm only a couple of thousand upside down on it.

I'm only 0.1% serious, you'd be an idiot to take that offer - the truck is worth a lot more than the Saturn. And probably gets better mileage! I'm starting to get car ADD though. It's a reliable car, and comfortable for an econobox, but being a GM econobox, it's all rattles and wind noise.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll trade you a good running mercedes.

"Slight oil leak, otherwise mint"

Safety Dance posted:

Man, I used to hang out on GBS. Then I got old.

The entire kitchen at the main Pizza Hut I work at is under 18.

Did I mention OSHA doesn't like anyone under 18 being around anything sharp or hot? Stuff like knives (for cutting sandwiches and produce), 450 degree pizza ovens that we have to reach into, and 190 degree dishwashers that we have to reach into, and the 350 degree deep fryers? OHSA will have a drat field day. I'm just glad my last day is in a week and a half.

The upside is I understand some of this teenage lingo poo poo, like swag, and yolo. The downside (well, more like, "goddamnit stop flirting you know I can't touch you") is the gay ones are massive flirts, and Texas has this thing called "statutory rape". I mean, I slept with a 17 year old a few times, but I was 19 at the time.. not 36. If I'm gonna sleep with someone, I'd prefer they be at least 25. Past the "WOOOOO GET SHITFACED EVERY NIGHT PHASE", but not into the "GET OFF MY loving LAWN" phase.

(even saying it like that sounds incredibly creepy, doesn't it?)

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of the cats threw a blood clot overnight and we just had to put him down. In two hours I get to explain to my two year old daughter why she can't cuddle up with him anymore. :smith:

:glomp:

Once the holidays are over, I plan to hit up the used cat dealers, probably sneak in some catnip with me to get them hooked. Operation Kindness is a large local no-kill shelter; the city also has a decent sized shelter, but Op Kindness gets to get a better idea of how they interact with other animals (cats, dogs, and children). Family is insisting on a declaw though, and that's just not something I'll do. If it's already been done, that's fine, but I won't ever put my own pet through that poo poo. When mom mentioned "we'll have to get them declawed", I pulled out the garden shears and asked her to hold out her hand.... and she still didn't get the point. :downsgun:

In any event, I'm still really depressed over not having a cat. And I know when I do get a cat again, he/she will bond with the rest of the family before me, since I tend to do my own thing. We do have a dog, but he's about as smart as a rotten potato (he's almost 8 and still hasn't learned how to back up when he gets stuck in a tight spot - you have to pick him up and physically turn him around), and treats anything with carpet as his personal poo poo space.

The last time I saw him alive, he was in a puddle of his own piss. It still brings out the feels in a really bad way, just from thinking about picking him up out of that and holding him for awhile. Stupid emotions.

So happy thanksgiving US goons. I should have been in bed hours ago. Wal-Mart fed us a somewhat decent turkey dinner last night:

The turkey was a little undercooked I think, unless it'd been smoked. You don't usually see pink of any shade in poultry unless it's been smoked. But I haven't lost any guts yet. It's still very very tempting to call in, I've already worked about 60 hours this week.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Viggen posted:

Carlin is chillin' with Biggy this Thanksgiving, then. :colbert:
I was going for "I don't know of anything else released posthumously for Carlin since I last cared to check." with my initial statement, but didn't figure that I needed to clarify that for a subforum of dorks.

Being pedantic is what dorks do. Nerd.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I am going over to my sister's for Thanksgiving tonight. We don't have a good relationship. I was planning to make just plain old mac and cheese but I think I am going to add some sriracha to the sauce and see what happens. I don't know how my brother-in-law's* family likes spicy food. We'll find out.

* I have no idea if my sister is actually married or if they just had a kid together. They made reference to it when I was in the hospital after she gave birth. I have spoken about five sentences to my sister in the last year and a half and most of it was "gently caress YOU" because she thinks I'm a worthless piece of poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Postin' from work.

Happy Thanksgiving AI!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mariooncrack posted:

I am going over to my sister's for Thanksgiving tonight. We don't have a good relationship. I was planning to make just plain old mac and cheese but I think I am going to add some sriracha to the sauce and see what happens. I don't know how my brother-in-law's* family likes spicy food. We'll find out.

* I have no idea if my sister is actually married or if they just had a kid together. They made reference to it when I was in the hospital after she gave birth. I have spoken about five sentences to my sister in the last year and a half and most of it was "gently caress YOU" because she thinks I'm a worthless piece of poo poo.

Honestly I'd just be an rear end and say gently caress them. Eat, be a douche, dip. gently caress em.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Nipples, if you want cheap glasses...
Also, did you wind up nearsighted or farsighted?
If I'm gonna sleep with someone, I'd prefer they be at least 25.

Vaguely interested in cheap glasses, text/Steam me or something.

Very near left, somewhat far right. It's sorta balanced out for a while, or so I though, but I slid them motherfuckers on and it was pretty much lifechanging.

Hopes... deleted.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 27, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I got my specs from coastal.com. Came with a case, wipe rag, multitool & bottle of alcohol/water spray. Total came to about 80 or so, but I'm quite happy with them. Just a thought.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

N is for Nipples posted:

Vaguely interested in cheap glasses, text/Steam me or something.

Very near left, somewhat far right. It's sorta balanced out for a while, or so I though, but I slid them motherfuckers on and it was pretty much lifechanging.

Hopes... deleted.

I've been getting glasses from Zenni since 2004, and I only had one pair that wasn't perfect. They have a decent return policy, and if you pay for expedited shipping, you get your glasses (from China!) in a week or so.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) I'm thankful for being alive, having a garage, and having today and the next three days off. The factory went lights out at 10:30 last night and won't be back online until Sunday evening; and even then it will only be running in limited capacity. Also it looks like I have the new job. Just waiting on HR to clear the paperwork. Can anyone recommend a cheapish soldering iron for small solders? I have a Galaxy S3 I need to put a new power button into, but the soldering points are pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Horse Divorce posted:

I got my specs from coastal.com. Came with a case, wipe rag, multitool & bottle of alcohol/water spray. Total came to about 80 or so, but I'm quite happy with them. Just a thought.

I bought glasses from Coastal this year to replace my Ray Bans that were falling apart. Got some swank Persols for $300 with my blind rear end prescription. A+ would buy again.

• Locked thread